What if Woody has an under the table deal not to fire Bowles like he did with Mangini do we riot?

Jetsbb

With cutting all the veterans and Woody saying explicitly he won't judge the team based on wins or loses its not out of the question Woody promised Mac and Bowles this is a free year. He did this with Mangini when he got Favre only to break his promise. I don't think I can take another year of Bowles we may need to start up the fireBowles.com website and fly planes over practice to change Woody's mind.

3 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

With cutting all the veterans and Woody saying explicitly he won't judge the team based on wins or loses its not out of the question Woody promised Mac and Bowles this is a free year. He did this with Mangini when he got Favre only to break his promise. I don't think I can take another year of Bowles we may need to start up the fireBowles.com website and fly planes over practice to change Woody's mind.

After the beautiful tank job is complete

I think they have that kind of deal. I also think Bowles' coaching so far this year is going to put that deal back on the table.

The offense was going to be bad. We all knew that.

The defense gave up 30 something points to the Raiders today and they could have scored over 40. I am not counting the TD before the half because that was a special teams fumble.

6 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I think they have that kind of deal. I also think Bowles' coaching so far this year is going to put that deal back on the table.

The defense gave up 30 something points to the Raiders today and they could have scored over 40. I am not counting the TD before the half because that was a special teams fumble.

exactly this.   

last year we saw play after play where receivers were running free with busted coverages.   this year we can't stop a freaking basic run play.   what is the point of a defensive coach if the defense is putrid?    

20 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

exactly this.   

last year we saw play after play where receivers were running free with busted coverages.   this year we can't stop a freaking basic run play.   what is the point of a defensive coach if the defense is putrid?    

The key, the defense can be developing and have let downs but not because the so called strength of the defense, the DL, is in fact letting the team down....

Rooks are playing more consistently than veterans; unacceptable!!!

I think it's a bad break for a coach, any coach, to be told to make something happen with this level of talent. Bowles isn't a big name, or a jerk, so he won't just sulk through the season the way some of the players might.

But at the same time, if this thing goes the way everyone thinks it will and we're lined up for the shiny new quarterback, we're not going to make his first year be with lame duck Todd Bowles.

Woody doesn't know sh*t about football. Mangini got whacked because Woody was trying to sell PSLs at the new stadium and wanted a carnival barker to help move tickets. This is a man that gave both Rex and Herm six years. If you want Bowles removed, ignore the team. Don't go to the games. Don't buy Jets gear. Those are the numbers that get to Woody's desk, and even those might not matter. He's got your PSL money and he's got (half of) a stadium. What does he care?

There are no secret handshakes. There are contracts. Bowles is done after this year because they fan base is and will turn on him. That's the most important thing to Woody. There are different ways to lose. Bowles could play Petty, open up the playbook, be exciting and unpredictable. But he is committing the cardinal sin of losing AND doing so in the most mind-numbingly boring way possible. 

Besides, if we can't get a real coach with the #1 pick and $80million in cap space, we never will. Now's the time.

What separates Bowles form all the Jets HCs before him is his demeanor right now is he doesn't act like an NFL coach. His postgame sounds like he's talking about some 3rd parties he has nothing to do with. Looks like he doesn't want to be here. If you offered Herman Edwards or Rex Ryan or Mangini a headset tomorrow, they're there.This guy, looks like he'd like to get to his car and GTFO RIGHT AWAY.  And while you can treat the media like garbage if you win,  when you lose they are gonna savage you if you treat them like mushrooms (keep'em in the dark and throw sheet on'em)and lose. But really, the job is not verbally sparring with the likes of Mehta and Cimini, it's winning football games. 

Today was ugly. And there's a very passive/aggressive streak to this guy. This game was over with about 10 minutes left but the Jets didn't pull in their horns. And it's why Carr was in until the end. Same thing happened vs. the Steelers last year; down2- 3 TDs NOW you want to play hard? Looked like after time ran out Carr and Adams had an animated discussion on camera that went beyond "good game" small talk. 

Don't care if any deal was made, the coming empty seats and losses piling up coupled with the Bowles' weird indifference (for lack of a better word) points toward him getting fired. But don't see any reason to rush it. 

6 minutes ago, Bugg said:

What separates Bowles form all the Jets HCs before him is his demeanor right now is he doesn't act like an NFL coach. His postgame sounds like he's talking about some 3rd parties he has nothing to do with. Looks like he doesn't want to be here. If you offered Herman Edwards or Rex Ryan or Mangini a headset tomorrow, they're there.This guy, looks like he'd like to get to his car and GTFO RIGHT AWAY.  And while you can treat the media like garbage if you win,  when you lose they are gonna savage you if you treat them like mushrooms (keep'em in the dark and throw sheet on'em)and lose. But really, the job is not verbally sparring with the likes of Mehta and Cimini, it's winning football games. 

Today was ugly. And there's a very passive/aggressive streak to this guy. This game was over with about 10 minutes left but the Jets didn't pull in their horns. And it's why Carr was in until the end. Same thing happened vs. the Steelers last year; down2- 3 TDs NOW you want to play hard? Looked like after time ran out Carr and Adams had an animated discussion on camera that went beyond "good game" small talk. 

Don't care if any deal was made, the coming empty seats and losses piling up coupled with the Bowles' weird indifference (for lack of a better word) points toward him getting fired. But don't see any reason to rush it. 

He coaches like a guy who doesn't care he'll never be a HC again.

I'm still baffled by Bowles.  He was a Parcells guy and in year one went 10-6 even if it was a cupcake schedule.  I did not have high expectations last season but felt the team played with no effort in December.  The defense looks lost.  

The problem is our owner.  He picked the coach before the GM. He also forced Rex on Idzik.  Revis was forced on Mac.  

Add an impatient fan base who wants GMs canned after two years and who will ever take this job?  Woody needs to sit on his hands.  

2 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I think there's a very good chance that Bowles doesn't make it through the entire season. Morton may be given a shot. Bowles' defense, which is littered with first round draft picks, is being outperformed by Morton's offense, which is made up of nobodies.

This is a really good point. If there was one positive today, it's that I was impressed with the offensive scheme. The offense was definitely not the reason we lost. Of the three units it has the least talent and performed pretty well. 

Firing Bowles and replacing him with Morton during this season would be a smart move. We already know Bowles is horrible.

1 hour ago, Jetsbb said:

If this is truly a 'free year', why are they trotting Kerley (a waiver wire pick up) and McCown out there?

18 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He coaches like a guy who doesn't care he'll never be a HC again.

If he ever wants to do any pro or college football work again, he is going to find that very hard to do coming off this disaster. Reach the pinnacle of your profession and when the work gets difficult you...give up? 

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Maybe with Mac, but no way with Bowles.  Bowles was pissed with some of the cuts.

25 minutes ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

I'm still baffled by Bowles.  He was a Parcells guy and in year one went 10-6 even if it was a cupcake schedule.  I did not have high expectations last season but felt the team played with no effort in December.  The defense looks lost.  

The problem is our owner.  He picked the coach before the GM. He also forced Rex on Idzik.  Revis was forced on Mac.  

Add an impatient fan base who wants GMs canned after two years and who will ever take this job?  Woody needs to sit on his hands.  

Bowles and Macc are equals.  Macc has done out and got the defensive players Bowles wanted.  Both those players and how Bowles has used them have not worked out.  Bowles and Rodgers are not running a professional quality defense.

Macc is not innocent.    His offensive draft picks have also not been good.

But Macc is good at picking up other teams trash.  It is conceivable that next week 4 of the team's best players are Tye, Kearse, Ealy and ASJ.

9 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Fine. Wins and losses do not matter.  The nature of decisions should matter, regardless

5 hours ago, PoconoJetFan said:

I'm down with that. I remember that Mangini wasn't a terrible coach. Maybe could be a second coming of Pete Carroll or dare I say it Bill Belichicken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mangini tried to copy Belichick.  I would prefer a real individual to an impersonator

9 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

obviously he fired Mangini then thankfully brought in rex.  Bowles is as bad a coach as I can ever remember in all my years following this team, if we continue down this path they will have to fire him and I hate calling for coaches to be fired but it's been a disgrace since heading into week 17 of the 2015 season where he had his team woefully unprepared to beat a team they were much better than w/ the playoffs on the line.

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

obviously he fired Mangini then thankfully brought in rex.  Bowles is as bad a coach as I can ever remember in all my years following this team, if we continue down this path they will have to fire him and I hate calling for coaches to be fired but it's been a disgrace since heading into week 17 of the 2015 season where he had his team woefully unprepared to beat a team they were much better than w/ the playoffs on the line.

The Bowles hiring was a real stinker.  Even more annoying is the "power structure' he created.  It makes progress incomprehensible.

4 minutes ago, jack48 said:

The Bowles hiring was a real stinker.  Even more annoying is the "power structure' he created.  It makes progress incomprehensible.

Bowles was highly though of around the league but some guys just aren't meant to be head coaches.

2 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

When was the last Jets coach fired in season? - seems like they (Woody) always wait for the offseason

it's rare for Hcs to be fired in season, I don't recall any in my lifetime.  I think the last Jets HC to not finish a season was when Holtz quit in the 70s.

Archived