Sunday night game reminds me... Met Life stadium sucks...

Embrace the Suck

1 hour ago, Flushing Roots said:

If the Jets were a dynasty, the place would be like the Taj Mahal.

Exactly right.

And the fact that people look back upon Giants Stadium wistfully as if it was some panacea.  LOL.  That place was a sewer.  I had a pipe that leaked upper deck water right on my head in the mezzanine when it rained.  The concourses were so tight and dark they were a fire hazard.  It had red seats.  It said "Giants" on it.  Oh, but it was sooooo much better than MetLife.  LOL.

SAR I

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mtwarlock31 said:

It makes everyone without a PSL very happy knowing you paid full price for tickets this year and when they go 4-12 and you'll be paying full price without Sam Darnold next year.

I could care less about the money.  That's what people like you simply don't get.  Being a season ticket holder is a rich man's privilege, there may be millions of Jets fans and there may be 82,500 seats, but there are only 16,000 fans writing checks to the Jets for all those seats each year.  That's it.  16,000 people in a metropolis of 20 million people.

Oh, I'm going to sell my Dolphins tickets this Sunday and lose $250?  You bet.  I spend that much on dinner.  In two days.  It's not like it's going to cripple me, its not like I even think about it.  Let the rich people worry about how they spend their fun money, K?  Perhaps it gets you off to fantasize that we're crying into our bran flakes each morning about all this lost money, but that's all it is, it's just a fantasy.

1 hour ago, mtwarlock31 said:

This $7 a game is nonsense, not everyone wants or wanted to signup for a 30 year ticket plan.

Gold star for making the right argument.  It's not about PSL's.  It's about a season ticket commitment for 30 years.

So go find your friends on JN who were season ticket holders in Giants Stadium from 1983-2008 and rip into them for their "poor choices" and their "bad investments" the way you do to PSL holders.  Make sure to tag me in the posts; I want to see them.  I want to see you take on these so-called "loyal" Jets fans from the old days and tell them they are fools for how much money they wasted on their form of weekend entertainment.  Have at it.  You do that to me, you go ahead and do that to them.  Or, better yet, keep your mouth shut on how other people spend their time and money.

SAR I

It is clear that the Jets need to move back to Shea, maybe even the Polo Grounds

Seriously though, I've been to stadiums and arenas all over the country and much of the world for over a half century. New Giants Stadium is at the very bottom for location, parking/traffic and ingress/egress. Near bottom for seats views (the clubs make it way too high up and back), the very bottom for upper deck views (including the dreaded plexiglass and stairway issues for many seats). As important, it is also at the bottom for value for preferred seating even before considering the PSL payment.

It is also the very bottom for personality with no break in the seating area and lack of color. This close enough to NYC, that it needed to be NYC-like, but that really is unimportant and is nowhere the issue that seating views are as we are there to do nothing more than watch football. We can all go to the Guggenheim on Monday if we need a FLW designed facility.  

The bottom line is that going to games here is not as enjoyable as elsewhere or the buildings the team previously played in but a lot of that also has a lot to do with the fact that the Jets have one of the worst fan bases in sports (sorry just an objective observation).

If you really want to be reminded that this was a poorly done project, take a trip to Foxboro, now THAT depresses me

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

MetLife is a microcosm of what NYC is now.  Overpriced and ugly

anonymous-20101101103445.jpg

Yes, it's so ugly watching 82,500 Jets fans in green and white in a stadium we own in a location that has been accommodating fans for 35 years.

The horror.  Raiders and Chargers fans cry for our pain.

SAR I

21 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Centurylink is not only a gorgeous stadium but there is not a bad seat in the entire house

MetLife is an eyesore it looks like an alien beehive

s800

MetLife would have no bad seats in the entire house if it was tiny like Centurylink and had 69,000 seats.  Take MetLife, lop off the upper deck, boom, you've got the Seahawks home field.  Good luck finding affordable ducats in a town with 20 million people and 15,000 fewer tickets.

As far as the facade (again with grown men's obsession with how pretty the facade of a stadium looks like) tell me again why Centurylink is so pretty?  Looks like a brick warehouse with Yankee Stadium's arches and a massive advertisement on top.  LOL.  I'm supposed to be jealous of this?

SAR I

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

anonymous-20101101103445.jpg

Yes, it's so ugly watching 82,500 Jets fans in green and white in a stadium we own in a location that has been accommodating fans for 35 years.

The horror.  Raiders and Chargers fans cry for our pain.

SAR I

really ?..

spring-breakers.jpg?w=1200

:rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

MetLife would have no bad seats in the entire house if it was tiny like Centurylink and had 69,000 seats.  Take MetLife, lop off the upper deck, boom, you've got the Seahawks home field.  Good luck finding affordable ducats in a town with 20 million people and 15,000 fewer tickets.

As far as the facade (again with grown men's obsession with how pretty the facade of a stadium looks like) tell me again why Centurylink is so pretty?  Looks like a brick warehouse with Yankee Stadium's arches and a massive advertisement on top.  LOL.  I'm supposed to be jealous of this?

SAR I

NYC boroughs (8mil) and North/Central Jersey (7mil) account for a grand total of 15 million. Half (which is stretch) of which are Jets fans. Thats 7.5m

20 million was close.

LA football must be selling out at an alarming rate with their population of 20 million and tons of rich funny money spending folks.

25 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

It is clear that the Jets need to move back to Shea, maybe even the Polo Grounds

822bb2c32b84578635f98f36ff97e403.jpg

I know you were joking, but let's not forget how well the Jets were treated by the Mets.

Super Bowl Champions, have to open the 1969 season with 6 straight road games.  Dirt field until November.  Center field fence between the goalposts.  Could  accommodate only 59,000 fans, most of whom were in the endzone behind home plate.  So much better than MetLife.

SAR I

8 minutes ago, mtwarlock31 said:

NYC boroughs (8mil) and North/Central Jersey (7mil) account for a grand total of 15 million. Half (which is stretch) of which are Jets fans. Thats 7.5m

20 million was close.

LA football must be selling out at an alarming rate with their population of 20 million and tons of rich funny money spending folks.

Use Google much?

https://www.google.com/search?q=ny+metro+population&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

SAR I

59 minutes ago, SAR I said:

NJ:  We were in New York for 23 years.  We have been in New Jersey for 34 years.  Anyone who was a typical 55 year old season ticket holder in Shea Stadium in 1983 is now 90 years old and no longer attending NFL games.  75% of Jets season ticket holders are from New Jersey.  We are a New York team with a New Jersey season ticket population, it's been that way since 1995.  We in New Jersey are not the Jets misfits anymore.  We are the core, you New Yorkers are the outliers.

SAR I

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Use common sense much? 75% of season ticket holders based on your above comment live in NJ (7 million in North/Central NJ)

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Roof:  3 of the biggest games in team history-  '68 AFL Championship Game vs. Raiders, '98 AFC Divisional Game vs. Jaguars, '02 Wildcard Game vs. Colts-  were all played outdoors in frigid weather against comfy warm weather or dome teams.  Do not underestimate the importance of weather to our homefield advantage.

NJ:  We were in New York for 23 years.  We have been in New Jersey for 34 years.  Anyone who was a typical 55 year old season ticket holder in Shea Stadium in 1983 is now 90 years old and no longer attending NFL games.  75% of Jets season ticket holders are from New Jersey.  We are a New York team with a New Jersey season ticket population, it's been that way since 1995.  We in New Jersey are not the Jets misfits anymore.  We are the core, you New Yorkers are the outliers.

SAR I

If you can persuade anyone who lives in NY, hates the drive to NJ and also hates the cold weather to agree with you I would call you a miracle worker.

We all have our perspective and biased opinions Jersey vs NY roof, no roof etc so yeah I do understand your angle on it.

Having a football stadium in NYC was a pipedream.

If MetLife had a roof, the complaints would drop IMO.  The AC exterior is meh, but who cares.  All these other stadiums have roofs which make them multiuse.  That means MetLike would hold multiple SBs rather than the gimmick Goodell agreed to to throw the Mara and Woody a bone for their support of him, as well as multiple Final Fours, conventions, etc.  

The lack of a roof was a major blunder on Mara and Woody's part from a financial standpoint because it decreased the opportunity for more revenue to pay down their construction debt.  THAT is a main reason why Jets won't opt out.  Woody owes too much money on the stadium to try to get bought out by Mara.

7 hours ago, mtwarlock31 said:

Use common sense much? 75% of season ticket holders based on your above comment live in NJ (7 million in North/Central NJ)

Your illogic is giving me a headache.  Let's keep it in simple terms that you can understand:

MetLife Stadium is oversized compared to Seattle or Pittsburgh because the NY Metro area dwarfs these tiny cities.  So MetLife has 15,000 extra seats to accommodate tens of millions of potential ticket buyers.  Big deal.  It's smart business.  The Jets lead the AFC in attendance every year since 2009.  Even when we suck.  So it's working.  People like the stadium.  People buy tickets to games.  If that doesn't work for you, great, don't go.  It's not like we miss you, it's not like the Jets need your money.

SAR I

6 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

If you can persuade anyone who lives in NY, hates the drive to NJ and also hates the cold weather to agree with you I would call you a miracle worker.

We all have our perspective and biased opinions Jersey vs NY roof, no roof etc so yeah I do understand your angle on it.

...and I understand your angle too, I lived on Long Island for 18 years, in Manhattan for 10 years, and now in New Jersey for 8 years.  I understand all the perspectives on how easy/hard it is to get to the Meadowlands.

But that said, the composition of the fanbase is pretty clear now here in Year 35 in the state of New Jersey.  Middle aged fans from the Shea days are in their 90's now, we've been in out of New York for a lifetime at this point, I don't even see how anyone can make the "we belong in New York" argument anymore.  The NY on the helmet is the only thing connecting the Jets (or Giants for that matter) to New York.  It doesn't matter to me and it shouldn't matter to you-  the two states are interchangeable, there is no difference in people or cultures, it's a non-issue.  Something like 75% of people in New Jersey within the NY Metro area live here and work in New York.  So if one has an NJ zipcode they are NY'ers anyway.  They spend most of their lives working there.

The roof thing, pretty simple stuff.  Everyone whines about a lack of a homefield advantage, yet when we have one of the biggest and coldest stadiums in the league in January when it matters, and when teams like the Raiders and Dolphins and Titans and Texans and Colts are wildcard competitors, how could you want a comfy dome stadium when we can freeze these teams out?  Homefield advantage isn't a warm dome with comfortable Jets fans.  It's a cold outdoor freezer with ornery Jets fans.  We blew the doors of the joint in 2002 when the Colts came to town.  Freezing swamp and loud fans.  41 points to nothing later, it's one of our signature wins.

SAR I

5 hours ago, SMC said:

Having a football stadium in NYC was a pipedream.

If MetLife had a roof, the complaints would drop IMO.  The AC exterior is meh, but who cares.  All these other stadiums have roofs which make them multiuse.  That means MetLike would hold multiple SBs rather than the gimmick Goodell agreed to to throw the Mara and Woody a bone for their support of him, as well as multiple Final Fours, conventions, etc.  

The lack of a roof was a major blunder on Mara and Woody's part from a financial standpoint because it decreased the opportunity for more revenue to pay down their construction debt.  THAT is a main reason why Jets won't opt out.  Woody owes too much money on the stadium to try to get bought out by Mara.

A Super Bowl comes to a town every 10 to 15 years, it doesn't make a dent in the financials and certainly doesn't mean anything to Jets fans.  Look at the dome teams and their hosting records.  You'll see Indianapolis has had a beautiful dome since 2008, it's 10 years later, they've hosted 1 Super Bowl.   Arizona's had a dome stadium since 2008 too, just 1 Super Bowl.   Woody's done pretty good, he's got the same amount of hosted Super Bowl's as any newly built dome stadium except Houston.

Super Bowl's, Final Four's, who cares?  Why would a Jets fan care?  I don't know any Jets fans who profited from Seattle or Denver fans, MSG hosts NCAA tournament games just fine, Javitz handles conventions very well, the concert industry is downtrodden with significant competition from all the arenas in the area (NJ, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan).  A dome would have meant nothing and helped the Dolphins and Raiders win playoff games on the road.  No thanks.

SAR I

1 hour ago, morny said:

So as somebody who is coming over in November for their first Jets game, are there any positives people can give me about Metlife I can look forward to?

It's a great stadium filled with loyal fans.  Great sitelines if you have the right seats, short lines for bathrooms, great food choices, terrific gift shops with exclusive Jets merchandise, easy egress to parking or Uber or the train.  You'll have a blast.

SAR I

2 hours ago, morny said:

So as somebody who is coming over in November for their first Jets game, are there any positives people can give me about Metlife I can look forward to?

You'll have a good time.  People just whine because they got stars in their eyes about a NYC stadium that was never going to happen and had it, they'd be even more upset when they saw those ticket/psl/parking/concession prices, not to mention no tailgating.

Trust me, a group of men who wear ill-fitting, 15-year-old, mustard stained, faded green sweatshirts in public are not the people you need to listen to about aesthetic.

It'd be nice if it had a roof though, but cold-weather home field advantage is nicer.

In the end, it'll be the product on the field that ruins your afternoon, not the walls surrounding it.

10 hours ago, Green DNA said:

You are easily satisfied.  The moon has a better view of the field than the upper deck seats in MetLife.  I sit in Mezz A and have to go through a maze of corners and disjointed escalators to get to my seats.  The place is also a firetrap and if a quick evacuation is needed there will be major casualties as the crush of people leaving under normal circumstances is scary.  I have been to a lot of stadiums around the league and MetLife is the most poorly designed stadium I have ever been in.  The architect should be blacklisted.

I sit in the LL... and I got ripped off for years from people who paid nothing for their tickets... Now I own amazing seats that I couldn't touch before.

Sorry to those who paid Clevland prices for a NY team... but I am not sorry I got your seats.

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

...and I understand your angle too, I lived on Long Island for 18 years, in Manhattan for 10 years, and now in New Jersey for 8 years.  I understand all the perspectives on how easy/hard it is to get to the Meadowlands.

But that said, the composition of the fanbase is pretty clear now here in Year 35 in the state of New Jersey.  Middle aged fans from the Shea days are in their 90's now, we've been in out of New York for a lifetime at this point, I don't even see how anyone can make the "we belong in New York" argument anymore.  The NY on the helmet is the only thing connecting the Jets (or Giants for that matter) to New York.  It doesn't matter to me and it shouldn't matter to you-  the two states are interchangeable, there is no difference in people or cultures, it's a non-issue.  Something like 75% of people in New Jersey within the NY Metro area live here and work in New York.  So if one has an NJ zipcode they are NY'ers anyway.  They spend most of their lives working there.

The roof thing, pretty simple stuff.  Everyone whines about a lack of a homefield advantage, yet when we have one of the biggest and coldest stadiums in the league in January when it matters, and when teams like the Raiders and Dolphins and Titans and Texans and Colts are wildcard competitors, how could you want a comfy dome stadium when we can freeze these teams out?  Homefield advantage isn't a warm dome with comfortable Jets fans.  It's a cold outdoor freezer with ornery Jets fans.  We blew the doors of the joint in 2002 when the Colts came to town.  Freezing swamp and loud fans.  41 points to nothing later, it's one of our signature wins.

SAR I

Folks from nj aren't nyers no matter how Hard you try  

and your stat in 75 percent commuting into NYC I call bs on.  Love to see data backing that up. 

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

It's a great stadium filled with loyal fans.  Great sitelines if you have the right seats, short lines for bathrooms, great food choices, terrific gift shops with exclusive Jets merchandise, easy egress to parking or Uber or the train.  You'll have a blast.

SAR I

Cheers for this. Out of curiosity, what would you class as the right seats. On a bit of a budget so likely to end up in the top tier, probablys in a corner. 

12 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

That supposed cold weather advantage for the NYJ is over blown.

You give one sample win which equates to anecdotal evidence.

Over the years we have been to so very many cold cold games and froze our asses off only to watch my team lose most times (sometimes to a warm weather visiting team supposedly disadvantaged by the cold)

I am older, smarter, financially well set and like the creature comforts.

Jersey? no problem I just shower as soon as I go home

Shared venue?  doesnt bother me

Ugly architecture? irrelevant who cares

Traffic? If you cant hack it just dont go

As a life long supporter of a losing team, in the greatest metro area in the country, a comfortable environment was not an unreasonable thing to wish for and with two NFL franchises footing the tab it seems miserly, stingy and insensitive to the fan bases that they didnt pony up

No more frost bitten losses for me. See you in Sept and Oct. if it isnt raining.

11 hours ago, batman10023 said:

Folks from nj aren't nyers no matter how Hard you try 

and your stat in 75 percent commuting into NYC I call bs on.  Love to see data backing that up. 

LOL on this anti-NJ stuff.  I've lived in New York for 28 years and now New Jersey for 8 years and we're all the same people.  There are more swanky and posh communities in Bergen County than there are in Nassau or Suffolk counties combined.  Hell, my commute to Manhattan is shorter than anyone living on Long Island or Westchester.  Eastern New Jersey exists as a bedroom suburb of Manhattan, I think everyone knows this. 

I'll look for it, but I read an article years ago that said somewhere in the neighborhood of 75% of family incomes within a certain radius of Manhattan come from New York and not from Connecticut, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, or whichever state one comes from.

SAR I

8 hours ago, morny said:

Cheers for this. Out of curiosity, what would you class as the right seats. On a bit of a budget so likely to end up in the top tier, probablys in a corner. 

Well, with the season we're in, there is no such thing as a budget.  You will be able to get any seat you want for pennies on the dollar.  Shoot for seats on the 40's on the lower level or the mezzanine.  What game are you coming in for?  I may be able to help a fellow Jets fan with my seats at no charge depending on the game.

SAR I

4 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Jersey? no problem I just shower as soon as I go home

Listen, I'm not a big NJ fan, I've only lived here 8 years.  But I must tell you that unless you live in Manhattan, New York is no better than New Jersey, in many cases (Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Bronx, Long Island) it's a major step back.  Westchester has some spots in New Jersey beat, but that's about it.  You couldn't pay me to live on Long Island with all that crowding and traffic and cookie-cutter 60s homes and drug gangs.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Listen, I'm not a big NJ fan, I've only lived here 8 years.  But I must tell you that unless you live in Manhattan, New York is no better than New Jersey, in many cases (Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Bronx, Long Island) it's a major step back.  Westchester has some spots in New Jersey beat, but that's about it.  You couldn't pay me to live on Long Island with all that crowding and traffic and cookie-cutter 60s homes and drug gangs.

SAR I

Non-Manhattan New Yorkers:New Jersey::Baby Boomers:Millenials

Lots of whining, minimal substance.

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Non-Manhattan New Yorkers:New Jersey::Baby Boomers:Millenials

Lots of whining, minimal substance.

Hey, I lived in Manhattan for 10 years, it's not like moving to New Jersey for 8 years makes me lose my cool card.

I simply wanted a house.

SAR I

22 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Well, with the season we're in, there is no such thing as a budget.  You will be able to get any seat you want for pennies on the dollar.  Shoot for seats on the 40's on the lower level or the mezzanine.  What game are you coming in for?  I may be able to help a fellow Jets fan with my seats at no charge depending on the game.

SAR I

It's the Panthers game in November. And they're about $100+ for a ticket, considering there's three of us (me, my wife and my stepdaughter) probablys a bit pushing it for us, but not going to purcahse for a while so they may come down in the meantime. 

32 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

What are you talking about? Anyone of ACTUAL REAL Net Worth knows that certain enclaves such as Fieldston, Jamaica Estates, and Cobble Hill are some of the best and biggest houses in 5 borough NYC.

21 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Hey, I lived in Manhattan for 10 years, it's not like moving to New Jersey for 8 years makes me lose my cool card.

I simply wanted a house.

SAR I

Then BUY a BUILDING in Manhattan .:rolleyes: Just like the rest of us who never left because we needed more room, you UPGRADE your life situation. You don't downgrade to Jersey and a life spent on the Turnpike.

This commercial should help guide you:

:lol:

15 hours ago, SAR I said:

A Super Bowl comes to a town every 10 to 15 years, it doesn't make a dent in the financials and certainly doesn't mean anything to Jets fans.  Look at the dome teams and their hosting records.  You'll see Indianapolis has had a beautiful dome since 2008, it's 10 years later, they've hosted 1 Super Bowl.   Arizona's had a dome stadium since 2008 too, just 1 Super Bowl.   Woody's done pretty good, he's got the same amount of hosted Super Bowl's as any newly built dome stadium except Houston.

Super Bowl's, Final Four's, who cares?  Why would a Jets fan care?  I don't know any Jets fans who profited from Seattle or Denver fans, MSG hosts NCAA tournament games just fine, Javitz handles conventions very well, the concert industry is downtrodden with significant competition from all the arenas in the area (NJ, Brooklyn, Long Island, Manhattan).  A dome would have meant nothing and helped the Dolphins and Raiders win playoff games on the road.  No thanks.

SAR I

My comment wasn't made as a fan, but a business commentary.  Lack of a dome was a bad business decision by Mara and Woody.  And, no, SB is not a 10-15 year cycle.  In many instance, it's a 5 year cycle for choice locations.

Lastly, the Dolphins and Raiders have never played a playoff game at MetLife, so what's the point?  Hypothetically?  You give up a dome for the 1% chance that a warm weather team may play a road game at MetLife?  Seriously?  Heck, Jets have hosted only 2 home playoff games in 20 years.

Archived