In Loss to Raiders, Some Positives Emerge

JetNation

IMG_2014.jpg

There’s no doubt that after an embarrassing 45-20 loss to the Oakland Raiders yesterday, there are some Jets fans looking to throw out the baby with the bath water and turn a blind eye to any positives that may come from this and any other loss this season.  That doesn’t mean there weren’t some positives to be taken away from the loss, and we’re happy to highlight a few of those here.

IMG_5844-300x214.jpg

Jamal Adams had another solid outing for Gang Green in week two.

S Jamal Adams: Despite playing over 50 snaps on defense, the Raiders passing game didn’t target Adams all day, and he appears to have shaken his tackling issues that plagued him during the pre-season.  It wasn’t going to take long for teams to respect Adams’ explosive first step and quickness against underneath routes.  Adams and fellow rookie Marcus Maye earned high praise from PFF.com.

JAMAL ADAMS, 83.0 OVERALL GRADE,  S MARCUS MAYE, 81.4 OVERALL GRADE

There isn’t much to cheer for Jets fans right now but their young safety duo are off to a bright start, and even playing behind a defensive front that was overpowered by the opposing offensive line couldn’t hide that. Both Adams and Maye came up to make stops against run and pass with Maye leading the way with 3 stops after Adams picked up a pair a week ago. Both made their best plays working downhill towards runs and short passes but in what looks likely to be a dark season, Adams and Maye offer a spark of optimism for the future.

RT Brandon Shell: Second-year right tackle Brandon Shell had the toughest assignment on the day. In facing arguably the best pass rusher in the NFL in Khalil Mack, Shell more than held his own.  Mack’s lone sack came on a rush away from Shell.

LG James Carpenter: The Jets were finally able to get their running backs going (21 carries, 96 yards) and the interior lineman were a big part of than, namely Carpenter, Brian Winters and Dakota Dozier.  Carpenter’s performance earned him a team high PFF grade of 83.4.

WR Jermaine Kearse: It’s probably time for Kearse to no longer be viewed as a “throw in” from the trade that sent Sheldon Richrdson to the Seattle Seahawks.  Kearse had a garbage time TD yesterday, but also had one in the second half on a play that looked to have a chance to change the momentum in the contest.  With so little time in the Jets offense, you can’t help but admire what Kearse has done in such a short time.

RG Dakota Dozier: Dozier stepped in for an injured Brian Winters and the offense looked to find some rhythm in the running game, with several good runs going right behind Dozier.  Rather than being a liability as a back up lineman, Dozier has played well when called upon as he was late last season and again yesterday.

RB Elijah McGuire: After spending all of last week on the pine, McGuire got some run against the Raiders and looked impressive, carrying the ball 6 time for 29 yards.  McGuire also had a reception for 7 yards.  A modest stat line, but an encouraging sign after a strong pre-season.  McGuire will likely emerge as the biggest steal of this class for the Jets.

As has been stated many times over, this season is more about player development than wins and losses, and it looks like the Jets have a few youngsters who are coming along, but there’s still a looong way to go.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
mSDq8om8SOQ

Click here to read the full story...

The offense was a positive, another positive is the HC is proving each week to be incompetent so while I hate changing coaches again he may be so bad we have to make a change.  I really wanted him to improve and stay here long term but smiling in then postgame handshake after a team humiliated you and rubbed it in was the last straw for me.

54 minutes ago, JetNation said:

There’s no doubt that after an embarrassing 45-20 loss to the Oakland Raiders yesterday, there are some Jets fans looking to throw out the baby with the bath water and turn a blind eye to any positives that may come from this and any other loss this season.  That doesn’t mean there weren’t some positives to be taken away from the loss, and we’re happy to highlight a few of those here.

Glenn, as always...............thank's

A couple of other things:

- Credit to the offensive staff for throwing a curveball.  Early on OAK was intent
on running the same type of scheme that BUF did by filling the box, stopping the
run and daring McCown to throw.  Good job by Morton to go to a 6-7 man OLine which
allowed the team to run the ball and impose their will as they came back from the
14-0 hole.  Also a terrific job by the OLine in pass protection, McCown had all kinds
of time to throw.  For the first 3 quarters of the game you never heard Mack or 
Irvin's names

- Good job incorporating McGuire into the offense BUT why in the world is Kerley
getting reps over Stewart and Hansen???  That makes no sense, either we're trying
to develop players or we're not

- Raymond is a frustrating player because for the first time since McKnight we have
someone who seems to be electric in the return game.  But in two games he's already
bobbled the ball three times and killed the game yesterday with his fumble

- OAK is a talented team and I know that being undisciplined is their "thing".  But
they better get a handle on the personal fouls because in the playoffs they are going
to pull that mess and it's going to bite them in the butt.  You give PIT or NE a fresh
set of downs in the playoffs and you'll be going home

yeah they got beat by the raiders but oakland showed themselves to be their typical cheap shotting selves.  del rio was such a moron for challenging the hit by irvin.  it was definitely excessive violence in spite of what the moronic fouts had to say.  it's one thing to tackle a guy.  it's another thing to pick him up bodily and whip him into the ground.  i'm surprised forte held onto the ball. until the muffed punt they were in danger of losing that game.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

- Credit to the offensive staff for throwing a curveball.  Early on OAK was intent
on running the same type of scheme that BUF did by filling the box, stopping the
run and daring McCown to throw.  Good job by Morton to go to a 6-7 man OLine which
allowed the team to run the ball and impose their will as they came back from the
14-0 hole.  Also a terrific job by the OLine in pass protection, McCown had all kinds
Irvin's names

- Good job incorporating McGuire into the offense BUT why in the world is Kerley
getting reps over Stewart and Hansen???  That makes no sense, either we're trying

- Raymond is a frustrating player because for the first time since McKnight we have
someone who seems to be electric in the return game.  But in two games he's already

- OAK is a talented team and I know that being undisciplined is their "thing".  But
they better get a handle on the personal fouls because in the playoffs they are going
to pull that mess and it's going to bite them in the butt.  You give PIT or NE a fresh

Possibly the most puzzling thing of all from yesterday.  

Just now, AFJF said:

Possibly the most puzzling thing of all from yesterday.  

since mccags and bowles both directly report to woody in theory, bowles does not have to answer to mccags regarding who he plays.  at the same time, mccags didn't have to sign kerley either.  

at least with bowles, i understand he's coaching to save his job, he'll play anyone with any experience over anyone with no experience.  he doesn't care about talent, developing players, or who will or won't be here next season.  he doesn't care about next year's qb, he doesn't care about where mccown/forte/kerley will be.  so at least from bowles' perspective, he's an easy read.

with mccags, i don't get it.  he made a nice trade getting kearse and a 2nd for trich, then brings in kerley when he knows full well kerley will take valuable reps from the two wrs he drafted.  he clearly has no say in getting petty to start since he couldn't even get him to be the #2 qb week 1.  and he didn't have to sign mccown in the first place if he even half assed believed in either hack or petty.

bottom line, this product is once again unwatchable, for the 3rd year in a row we are watching an offense with zero guys drafted by this organization.  at this point, i say the odds are both bowles and mccags get fired after the season, if only b/c woody and his brother cave (again) to the swell of negative public opinion.

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

since mccags and bowles both directly report to woody in theory, bowles does not have to answer to mccags regarding who he plays.  at the same time, mccags didn't have to sign kerley either.  

at least with bowles, i understand he's coaching to save his job, he'll play anyone with any experience over anyone with no experience.  he doesn't care about talent, developing players, or who will or won't be here next season.  he doesn't care about next year's qb, he doesn't care about where mccown/forte/kerley will be.  so at least from bowles' perspective, he's an easy read.

with mccags, i don't get it.  he made a nice trade getting kearse and a 2nd for trich, then brings in kerley when he knows full well kerley will take valuable reps from the two wrs he drafted.  he clearly has no say in getting petty to start since he couldn't even get him to be the #2 qb week 1.  and he didn't have to sign mccown in the first place if he even half assed believed in either hack or petty.

bottom line, this product is once again unwatchable, for the 3rd year in a row we are watching an offense with zero guys drafted by this organization.  at this point, i say the odds are both bowles and mccags get fired after the season, if only b/c woody and his brother cave (again) to the swell of negative public opinion.

Yeah.  I'm inclined to agree with this.  IMO right now Mac has a wink wink agreement with Woody that he'll be back.  So did Mangini.

if this season continues on the path it's on, the mob will become deafening.  Woody , in the past, has been affected by the roar.   Woody being in England could save Macc though, 

2 hours ago, KRL said:

Irvin's names

I know it's a very small sample size but is it too soon to say I'm in love with Morton?  I loved what he did with the OL, loved it.   

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

yeah they got beat by the raiders but oakland showed themselves to be their typical cheap shotting selves.  del rio was such a moron for challenging the hit by irvin.  it was definitely excessive violence in spite of what the moronic fouts had to say.  it's one thing to tackle a guy.  it's another thing to pick him up bodily and whip him into the ground.  i'm surprised forte held onto the ball. until the muffed punt they were in danger of losing that game.

It's ******* football.  Excessive violence?  Skirts and stockings.

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

Tip of the cap to Shell for his work against Mack yesterday.  Looks like the Jets have a RT.

Good article Glenn. Was really impressed with Shell and the entire OLine yesterday. No matter how bad this year is, they have to have kids progress. So even though winning doesn't seem to be the goal apparently, hopefully player development exceeds expectations.

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I wasn't too impressed with Shell, but the run game seemed to pick up with Dozier.  Some of that may have been being down and running an extra OL as TE, but still...  OTOH, that brings up the issue that he is an UFA in 2018.  It would be very Jetsy for him to turn into a starting quality OG as his rookie deal expires.  

Shell actually surprised me and had a very good first half.  Second half he seemed to lose some confidence or something and his play fell off.

Thought it was promising 

27 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Yeah.  I'm inclined to agree with this.  IMO right now Mac has a wink wink agreement with Woody that he'll be back.  So did Mangini.

if this season continues on the path it's on, the mob will become deafening.  Woody , in the past, has been affected by the roar.   Woody being in England could save Macc though, 

i think if mccags had a wink wink with woody, it was with the understanding that this year would be about 'developing' the offensive skill players, beginning with the qbs.  but he has the wrong coach to accomplish this, and i'm wondering if only this year, mccags is finally realizing that bowles isn't going to play the young guys just b/c mccags drafts them.  whether or not anyone admits it within the organization, there is an increasing rift between the objectives of the hc and gm.  

perhaps more than anything, the people auditioning the most are the coaches on the offense, as i could see them taking bowles' place with mccags staying put, and then you'd have (presumably) competent offensive coaches with a new qb next year, continuity of one offensive system, but without a head coach who coaches scared.

2 hours ago, KRL said:

why in the world is Kerley

Extremely frustrating. McCown should be developing the young WRs so that they can, in turn, be ready to help develop the young QBs. Really not happy about the Kerley signing at all. 

25 minutes ago, flgreen said:

The expectations are very low for this team, and they will have to underachieve those low expectations for anyone to get fired, IMHO. It's a long season, and Bowles is going to have to demonstrate that he can keep the team focused and playing hard in what will soon be a lost year.

Woody being away and hands off this year could easily save them both. Woody was allegedly instrumental in the Decker and Harris cuts, so he's clearly 100% on board with the fire sale/rebuild. I don't know how much authority to hire and fire he's actually given his brother. I think the team would have to unravel in embarrassing fashion for these guys to get the boot this year. 

The OL looked better. People are crushing the Jets for playing MC instead of Petty or Hack, but I think part of the reason for that is because they weren't convinced either of them wouldn't get obliterated behind that line...

But it's looking better. Once they solidify themselves as a unit more, you'll see the QB change. 

1 minute ago, DMan77 said:

The OL looked better. People are crushing the Jets for playing MC instead of Petty or Hack, but I think part of the reason for that is because they weren't convinced either of them wouldn't get obliterated behind that line...

But it's looking better. Once they solidify themselves as a unit more, you'll see the QB change. 

i don't think it has anything to do with the line.  you also see forte getting too many reps.  

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Good article Glenn. Was really impressed with Shell and the entire OLine yesterday. No matter how bad this year is, they have to have kids progress. So even though winning doesn't seem to be the goal apparently, hopefully player development exceeds expectations.

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

Shell actually surprised me and had a very good first half.  Second half he seemed to lose some confidence or something and his play fell off.

Thought it was promising 

Fair enough. I didn't mean I thought he was super horrible, just that nothing stood out as particularly good either.  It is a strange experience watching the games with casual disinterest.  My wife was surprised at my lack of cursing.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Fair enough. I didn't mean I thought he was super horrible, just that nothing stood out as particularly good either.  It is a strange experience watching the games with casual disinterest.  My wife was surprised at my lack of cursing.

same here.  i'm watching the games as if the guys running around in the jet jerseys will not be here next season and i can go back to having a smidgen of hope again.

4 hours ago, JetNation said:

There is no doubt that after an embarrassing 1-0 loss to the North Atlantic Iceberg yesterday, there are some Titanic fans looking to throw out the baby with the bath water and turn a blind eye to any positives that may come from this and any other sinking this season.  That doesn't mean there weren't some positives to be taken away from the sinking, and we’re happy to highlight a few of those here.....

1. The Hors d'oeuvres ...... 

43 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i don't think it has anything to do with the line.  you also see forte getting too many reps.  

I definitely understand the "bench anyone with 3+ years of NFL experience in favor of the young guys" campaign line. I definitely get it. And I'm not too far off that track either... But I think there's also something about easing guys into it. I think (hope) that by maybe week 5/6/7, it'll be 80/20 rookies to vets. 

You saw it a little yesterday with McGuire getting some carries... That'll spill over game to game. They've just opted for a slower switch, which again, I'm okay with.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

It's ******* football.  Excessive violence?  Skirts and stockings.

no, what irwin did was clearly out of bounds.  there was no reason for him to pick up forte and physically slam him too the ground.  the skrine play is the one where you can say skirts and stockings.

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

And lets not forget the field goal near the end of the game.

Regarding the Raiders I would just say todays version of the NFL needs few "heels" just like pro wrestling.

The one play by Adams that stuck in my mind was after Lynch had already run past / through two other Jets, Adams chased him from the back side of the play and dropped him no problem. Great effort by Adams.

Maye had some good stops too, though if he keeps going as low as he did guys are going to start trying to hurdle him.

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

There is no doubt that after an embarrassing 1-0 loss to the North Atlantic Iceberg yesterday, there are some Titanic fans looking to throw out the baby with the bath water and turn a blind eye to any positives that may come from this and any other sinking this season.  That doesn't mean there weren't some positives to be taken away from the sinking, and we’re happy to highlight a few of those here.....

1. The Hors d'oeuvres ...... 

Well it was actually a 1503-0 loss, much like the Jets loss to the Raiders, but who's counting

Archived