Deep Thoughts

Jetster

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

Only two weeks in, but as of now, for a team with a defensive minded head coach, and 9 straight first round picks on the defensive side of the ball.  We are ranked:

27th in red zone TD % (75%)

32nd in points per game allowed (33.0)

30th in yards per game allowed (409.0)

31st in 3rd down conversion % (55.17%)

32nd in Opp Rushing Yards per Game (185.0)

17th in Opp Passing Yards per Game (224.0)

Is this good?

In a 96 team league it wouldn't be bad, but we have 32 teams in ours....people may react poorly to this but I dont think our defense is actually better than our offense. They are both bottom barrel.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I don't know why we care how we look to these kids. They will ultimately be taken #1 or 2 and be drafted by a team that had a horrible year. This notion that there afraid of playing for the Jets is comical and totally baseless. 

I agree, to me a true winner would want to turn a franchise around.

2 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I agree, to me a true winner would want to turn a franchise around.

Popular LORE says Manning turned us down, but the reality is that Manning WANTED to play for the Jets but Parcells would not commit to it. Darnold will WANT to play in the NY market as well. He's not being drafted by an LA team.

9 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

In a 96 team league it wouldn't be bad, but we have 32 teams in ours....people may react poorly to this but I dont think our defense is actually better than our offense. They are both bottom barrel.

Our offense might be better under Morton than our (more talented) defense under Bowles.  Shocking concept I know!

44 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am almost positive that Maccagnan signed a 4 year deal, and I know that Bowles did.  They are going to get paid for 2018, even though they will be out of work. You do not extend guys with 2 years left on their contracts.  Period.  It is not done and it would set a bad precedent.  Especially when you consider their abysmal performance.  It is ironic that you are talking about extending guys with 2 years left on their deals who have apparently refused to consider extending players in the same situation even when it would make perfect sense.

I don't see what bizarre strategies you are worried about. It probably won't be any different than 2014 when Idzik tried salvaging something with Harvin and sh*t the bed in that whack-a-doodle press conference.  We been there, done that and all within the past three years.

MaccBowles were hired to win now.  By telling them in year 3 of 4 to rebuild, you put them in a bad spot.  I think at that point they should have been functionally rehired and agreed to leave.  

Woody hates paying staff dead money.  That is why Mac ends up staying in some form, like Bradway did.  Supposedly Bradways team did all of their work on the Jersey shore and in the bar. 

35 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Our offense might be better under Morton than our (more talented) defense under Bowles.  Shocking concept I know!

I actually saw progress week to week. I still think Petty should be starting and Hansen and Stewart should be much more involved, but we were noticeably different on offense yesterday if still limited by McCown. He has a "better" arm than Fitz but not to the point it opens up different plays like Petty or Hack would. If Petty had started these two games he might be wrecked at this point. I just cannot get my mind around not seeing what you have in Petty and Hack before this next offseason. McClown throwing to veterans does not help this team really at all.

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

MaccBowles were hired to win now.  By telling them in year 3 of 4 to rebuild, you put them in a bad spot.  I think at that point they should have been functionally rehired and agreed to leave.  

Woody hates paying staff dead money.  That is why Mac ends up staying in some form, like Bradway did.  Supposedly Bradways team did all of their work on the Jersey shore and in the bar. 

Nobody put them in a bad spot, but themselves.  A GM should not have to be told what to do.  A GM has one goal, to put together a solid football team.  There is literally no reason to have such a sh*tty roster after 3 drafts and with the amount of money they were given to play with.  We have beat ourselves up fighting about this alleged competitive rebuild mantra, but even if Woody insisted, they have nobody to blame but themselves.  Pretty sure that Rex and Idzik had years left on their deals.  I'm not sure what the relevance of Bradway is to all this, but if they scouted from a bar, that bar scouted better than the 2015-2017 New York Jets. 

even if this Jets team was good (and they most certainly are not) they probably lose that game in Oakland.

that game, after 3000-mile trip, on that dirt ass infield, the Jets almost always lose.

the hot dog game was an aberration. 

people want to look at this game as an example of anything, look at it as what a contender looks like vs what a garbage roster looks like 

Bowles has his share of the blame but the horse is glue and Jets fans want to shoot the jockey. 

46 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Tinstar, in past years I was able to give you more thumbs than recently.  This post however is a breath of fresh air.  Thank you :)  (how's that for a back handed compliment :)

It's fine .  maybe it's because i'm a little older and getting more mellow, but the way I look at thing now is completely different than when I was younger . I have a choice that was always given to me , and I choose to enjoy life rather than spend my time worrying about things I have no control of . I look for the good in things instead of highlighting the bad because the good always makes me feel better and is uplifting to others . 

I knew the defense wasn't that good because we have no NT to allow mismatches, or Linebackers are garbage and our secondary is comprised of 3 1st year starters who will be learning on the job and a player who had his best year in a contract year and didn't even finish the year because he was injured yet again .

You can't run a 34 defense and get your pass rush from the Defensive line without leaving your linebackers in protected . You can't run a 43 defense with DEs better suited for a 34 defensive and no true MLBer.

This defense has no true NT  or OLBers to run a 34 and no true MLBer to run a 43 .  There's a lot of work to be done, and bitching and moaning is a waste of my time. 

The 1st thing is to pick a front office and coaching staff and stick with it. 

The worst thing to do is start changing in the middle of a rebuild. 

There's good news thou.

Williams and Wilkerson can both play 34 DE and 3T defensive tackle in the 43 .  Ealy and Thomas can both play 43 DE .We have youngsters in the secondary getting experience who should be better next season . The Jets should seriously consider moving Jordan Jenkins inside where he played a fair bit while at Georgia . 

The OL is getting nice experience and IMO, is missing only a top quality LT . Call me crazy but I think the Jets have a gem in McGuire who's bigger, faster and shiftier than Bilal Powell . By the end of this season, Stewart, Anderson, Hanson and Peake will have experience playing in this offense .

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Only two weeks in, but as of now, for a team with a defensive minded head coach, and 9 straight first round picks on the defensive side of the ball.  We are ranked:

27th in red zone TD % (75%)

32nd in points per game allowed (33.0)

30th in yards per game allowed (409.0)

31st in 3rd down conversion % (55.17%)

32nd in Opp Rushing Yards per Game (185.0)

17th in Opp Passing Yards per Game (224.0)

Is this good?

That's what happens when your starting a group of bust's at linebacker and Corner ..  Jenkins ,lee, Davis are very unimpressive . With the Dylan kid pretty much going non existent since the pads went on in training camp .. 

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

Explain how the 66 points is due to Marcus Maye and Jamaal Adams other than saying we drafted safeties 1 and 2 and we still stink doh !!!

Football is a TEAM sport the DEFENSE has given up 66 points in 2 games both are part of the defense last time I checked and neither is helping us score any points to win games. 

I'm not so sure that I buy this "D played OK, it was field position" thingee.

On their first  3 TD's the Raiders drove 76, 76, and 78 yards.    What that shows is they could score from anywhere on the field, and at will.

What I was seeing out of the D both this week and last was even with the talent they have, the Jets players were out of position to make a play time after time.  IMO that's coaching.

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

even if this Jets team was good (and they most certainly are not) they probably lose that game in Oakland.

that game, after 3000-mile trip, on that dirt ass infield, the Jets almost always lose.

the hot dog game was an aberration. 

people want to look at this game as an example of anything, look at it as what a contender looks like vs what a garbage roster looks like 

Bowles has his share of the blame but the horse is glue and Jets fans want to shoot the jockey. 

Oh I agree we always seem to get smacked in Oakland ..  good thing there's going to Vegas lol

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

I'm not so sure that I buy this "D played OK, it was field position" thingee.

On their first  3 TD's the Raiders drove 76, 76, and 78 yards.    What that shows is they could score from anywhere on the field, and at will.

What I was seeing out of the D both this week and last was even with the talent they have, the Jets players were out of position to make a play time after time.  IMO that's coaching.

That's not exactly true. The score was 14-10 when Raymond muffed the punt inside the 5 .  The score was 14-0 and the Jets turned that into 14-10 and was about to get the ball back when Raymond gift raps 7 points and changed the entire complexion of the game .  The Jets might have still gotten blown out yesterday, but it would have been nice to see what would have happened if the 2nd half of that game started 14-10 with the Jets getting the ball .

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The jockey?  How about the jockey, the owner, the trainer, the stable boy and everybody else associated?  IMO shooting is too humane.  I vote for flaying with a rusty butter knife.

Will that make your weekends better ? Tell me something, what has made you this way  ?  There was a time when your post was more pleasant .

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

The Jets defense was forced to defend the high powered Raiders offense from their 3, inside their 30 twice and from the plus side of the field once after the onside kick . The defense wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible also. The Raiders jump on the visiting Jets quickly, but the Jets got the game under control quickly after that and was beginning to take ole MO when the kid fumbled the ball inside the 5 . Why he was catching the ball inside the 10 is beyond me, but it killed that team when he lost that ball . 

The Jets are a bad team, but not a talentless team. It's a young team learning how to play together and it didn't quit even thou it was facing an uphill battle . This terrible team gave the Raiders 28 0oints due to mistakes and score 20 points against a team with a defense many here thought would dominate our offense . 

You folks can spend the next 16 weeks being miserable about something you already knew, but as for me and my house, I will look for positives each and every week .

Give up long runs like that , the defense is in fact terrible. 

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Perhaps when the games are more pleasant my posts will again smell like lavender.

The Jets have been this way for as long as I can remember. Every time the jets even appear to be decent, a lousy Giants team somehow manages to win the SB . Giant Players hated Tom Coughlin, but they won him  2 SBs .  I prefer the person who would send me a message when they thought they did me wrong .  I really do believe you to be a very smart person who got caught up in something that seems like fun. 

It's not, just misery trying to add to it's membership .

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

When you own a business, you hire people to do specific jobs based on their past resume. Todd Bowles came here highly praised as a young upcoming defensive genius by Charlie Casserly & Bruce Ariens. Forget about judging Bowles as a Head Coach, the first thing he needs to be judged on is his supposed expertise, defense. 

Going all the way back to last years embarrassing defensive effort vs the Colts on MNF when they scored 3 touch downs in what looked like a training camp 7 on 7 nothing has changed. Any Jet fan that does not believe Bowles has influence with Macc on choices in the draft is kidding himself. The way Woody hired these men he's crested a democracy, not an autocracy. 

The question that needs to be asked of Bowles first is, why is this defense so bad? Far too many draft resources have been used on this defense to constantly give up TDs like yesterday where the team is down 0-14 instantly. We all know Buster Skrine sucks, so why is the 5' CB on Crabtree? Lee is too small to be a MLB, why are you not adjusting your defense to put him a better position? There is no way in the world that Macc without consulting Bowles chose to give Mo a mega contract & let Snacks walk. We already had Leo, Mo as it turns out is just overkill of the same player only worse. Does anyone believe that the Raiders run for 107 yards directly up the middle with Snacks in there?

i said it last week. Bowles is a fraud masquerading as a football coach. He's can't even hold Rex defensive playbook. He replaced every defensive position coach EXCEPT his inept buddy Rogers. There are many, many DCs in this league that could take this group of misfits & make them competitive, guys like Wade Phillips, Schwartz, Williams, etc. The Carolina Panthers held McCoy to 9 yards yesterday, lol. Yes, I know they have Keuckly & Davis but 9 f*cking yards after he basically ran through Bowles defense like a hot knife through butter!

I like what I've seen from Morton & Bates. With very little assets & a group of young players and recent players like Kearse they at least look like there's a plan, a system developing. Bowles will lose this team soon because his defense is a huge problem (this isn't Rex defense kicking azz & the offense turning the ball over 5 times). Just because your offense goes 3 & out once to start a game doesn't mean you should be down 0-14. Raiders took the opening kickoff TD, 2nd possession...TD! Ridiculous!

How about Bowles reaction to the personal foul on Skrine? What reaction? He had no reaction. Are you kidding me? Show some damn fire at least when it's understandable. Imagine Parcells, Reid, even guys like McCarthy would have lost their sh*t with that call & gotten in the refs ears. Why are our punt returners catching punts at the 5 yard line while guys are bearing down on them? Bail out! Parcells taught that all the time! Our coaching with the guy is horrific! 

They wont fire Bowles during the season because who would take over the defense? Rogers? Suck for Sam, Rosen & Allen is real and there is no doubt in my mind keeping Bowles in place gives us the beet chance as long as Chris Johnson mandates every youngster plays at the end of the season to insure we don't stumble into a couple of wins using veterans that won't be here next year. We have the coach in place to give us the best chance at a top pick & I believe he'll prove it each & every week. Go Jet youngsters. 

Team is going to be a sh*t show , this is a tank job this year . Someone name me a team with a top 5 defense with a 0-3 win season ? Pick a side either want us to try to win every game or try to get a franchise changing qb . Stop this complaining no coach you would replace Bowles with would do any better with this team .... people here a grown folks you gotta think logically , are jet fans this damn stupid ?

10 minutes ago, Maddog45 said:

Team is going to be a sh*t show , this is a tank job this year . Someone name me a team with a top 5 defense with a 0-3 win season ? Pick a side either want us to try to win every game or try to get a franchise changing qb . Stop this complaining no coach you would replace Bowles with would do any better with this team .... people here a grown folks you gotta think logically , are jet fans this damn stupid ?

The question is, with the defense they are running and the personnel they have, how do they do better?

The ILBs are just awful.  Maybe they play Carter, Connor Harris  and Julian Stafford.  Can they switch to a 4/3 midseason?  With Ealy they may be able to make it work.

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

When you own a business, you hire people to do specific jobs based on their past resume. Todd Bowles came here highly praised as a young upcoming defensive genius by Charlie Casserly & Bruce Ariens. Forget about judging Bowles as a Head Coach, the first thing he needs to be judged on is his supposed expertise, defense. 

Going all the way back to last years embarrassing defensive effort vs the Colts on MNF when they scored 3 touch downs in what looked like a training camp 7 on 7 nothing has changed. Any Jet fan that does not believe Bowles has influence with Macc on choices in the draft is kidding himself. The way Woody hired these men he's crested a democracy, not an autocracy. 

The question that needs to be asked of Bowles first is, why is this defense so bad? Far too many draft resources have been used on this defense to constantly give up TDs like yesterday where the team is down 0-14 instantly. We all know Buster Skrine sucks, so why is the 5' CB on Crabtree? Lee is too small to be a MLB, why are you not adjusting your defense to put him a better position? There is no way in the world that Macc without consulting Bowles chose to give Mo a mega contract & let Snacks walk. We already had Leo, Mo as it turns out is just overkill of the same player only worse. Does anyone believe that the Raiders run for 107 yards directly up the middle with Snacks in there?

i said it last week. Bowles is a fraud masquerading as a football coach. He's can't even hold Rex defensive playbook. He replaced every defensive position coach EXCEPT his inept buddy Rogers. There are many, many DCs in this league that could take this group of misfits & make them competitive, guys like Wade Phillips, Schwartz, Williams, etc. The Carolina Panthers held McCoy to 9 yards yesterday, lol. Yes, I know they have Keuckly & Davis but 9 f*cking yards after he basically ran through Bowles defense like a hot knife through butter!

I like what I've seen from Morton & Bates. With very little assets & a group of young players and recent players like Kearse they at least look like there's a plan, a system developing. Bowles will lose this team soon because his defense is a huge problem (this isn't Rex defense kicking azz & the offense turning the ball over 5 times). Just because your offense goes 3 & out once to start a game doesn't mean you should be down 0-14. Raiders took the opening kickoff TD, 2nd possession...TD! Ridiculous!

How about Bowles reaction to the personal foul on Skrine? What reaction? He had no reaction. Are you kidding me? Show some damn fire at least when it's understandable. Imagine Parcells, Reid, even guys like McCarthy would have lost their sh*t with that call & gotten in the refs ears. Why are our punt returners catching punts at the 5 yard line while guys are bearing down on them? Bail out! Parcells taught that all the time! Our coaching with the guy is horrific! 

They wont fire Bowles during the season because who would take over the defense? Rogers? Suck for Sam, Rosen & Allen is real and there is no doubt in my mind keeping Bowles in place gives us the beet chance as long as Chris Johnson mandates every youngster plays at the end of the season to insure we don't stumble into a couple of wins using veterans that won't be here next year. We have the coach in place to give us the best chance at a top pick & I believe he'll prove it each & every week. Go Jet youngsters. 

it's hard to disagree.  i'm not in the anti bowles camp (yet) but for two weeks now we've seen the supposed strength of this team get gashed. there's no pass rush and the run defense is just not very good.  that doesn't add up to even a top 30 defense.  to me they need to turn this around in about 2 games. can't say bowles had to go ballistic on skrine's penalty because there was helmet to helmet contact but it clearly a bad call.

Archived