Here's where we disagree

Jetster

I see a lot of threads & posts on here stating that no one will want to come to this sh*t storm of a team and try and turn it around. I whole heartedly disagree with these statements & I'll give you my reasons.

First, Tom Brady is 40 years old and father time waits for no man. Sure he looked good vs the 32nd ranked defense in the league (Jets are 31st I believe,lol) but with their injuries yesterday lets see how they fair vs Texans D & Carolina coming up. Miami still doesn't have a franchise QB, just like us. Buffalo is relying a an older (good oline) & an older Dline, also without a franchise QB, and an older RB.

So, if your a GM like John Dorsey or any other GM on the sideline waiting for another opportunity and you look at the big picture regarding the NY Jets and the near future in the AFC East, you gotta like your chances if you have a top 3 pick & the ability to pick your own coaching staff. 

If the Jets send Mo Wilkerson packing they will be close to 95 million in cap space, a chance at a franchise QB, 3 more picks in the top 32-64 players playing in a division that will be wide open. Like I stated before, Brady will be 41, Gronk is slowly crumbling, the Pats defense is a shell of itself & Miami and Buffalo are mediocre teams without future franchise QBs. 

Bring in a better coaching staff with an eye towards fixing the offense & concentrating on getting top flight weapons to help out your young QBs. After 2 games the Jets are 31st in defense overall so a mannequin with a headset could do just as well, but seriously any available DC could do no worse than Bowles has done. GMs have egos, they all believe they can succeed. Given the chance to resurrect a franchise without Brady & Belichick dominating is way less daunting than trying to do what Tannenbaum, Idzik or Macc had to deal with. 

Its the perfect scenario for a change to a proven guy. Lets hope it happens, the time is really right if we have a top 1/2/3 pick.

I totally agree, thinking that nobody would come here is flat out foolish. On the other hand, I have been saying forever that a huge reason nobody (in any sport, not just football) wants to come here is because they lose approximately 35% of their salary to NYS Income tax. Football wise, if you turn this mess around you will be a hero. If I am a prospective GM, I would come here only if I had control of coaches and all hiring's. I would not, however, participate in the continuation of dysfunction where the GM and HC are equal before the grand high exalted mystic ruler owner. That is just not the way things are done nowadays. There has to be a chain of command. Owner-GM-HC-Coordinators. That is basic. Not rocket science.

So Michael, or Woody, do the right thing, get rid of this present regime and do it right for once. Go get a solid football GM to control all facets of the team and hire his own people to scout, coach, clean the locker room and everything else associated with running a football team.

Unfortunately Mac isn't going anywhere. So redirect this post to just replacing the HC and staff. 

Which I think can still work. Get a guy who is focused on the offensive side. Give Allen Robinson what he wants. Draft your QB with the first pick. Draft your LT with the second pick. 

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Wow, sounds great! Woody's still the owner, though, right?

The Chorus to get rid of Bowles won't just be heard from the fans. The Media is killing him for his decisions, demeanor, and most importantly the horrible defense being played week after week by this supposed defensive genius. Jets are the butt of jokes from every pregame show. He chose Mo over Snacks, probably wanted Lee, was part of the team taking safeties in the 1st & 2nd round of the draft, lost the team completely last year & his defense has given up almost 400 rushing yards in 2 games.

8 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

I totally agree, thinking that nobody would come here is flat out foolish. On the other hand, I have been saying forever that a huge reason nobody (in any sport, not just football) wants to come here is because they lose approximately 35% of their salary to NYS Income tax. Football wise, if you turn this mess around you will be a hero. If I am a prospective GM, I would come here only if I had control of coaches and all hiring's. I would not, however, participate in the continuation of dysfunction where the GM and HC are equal before the grand high exalted mystic ruler owner. That is just not the way things are done nowadays. There has to be a chain of command. Owner-GM-HC-Coordinators. That is basic. Not rocket science.

So Michael, or Woody, do the right thing, get rid of this present regime and do it right for once. Go get a solid football GM to control all facets of the team and hire his own people to scout, coach, clean the locker room and everything else associated with running a football team.

Why are they paying NYS income tax in NJ?

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Basically, the argument is "Who wouldn't want to come here?  We are in an almost identical situation (high first, lots of money, team devoid of talent) as we were three years ago!"

Um, no, your leaving out a huge part of my argument, the Patriots reign will end soon! Your going to see over the next few weeks a much weaker Pats team as injuries mount. They are not nearly as deep as they use to be & Brady will not get better in his 40s. So knowing that its much different than 3 years ago when the Pats went 38-10 over that time period. Also during that period neither the Fins or Bills have put together a championship caliber team or have found their franchise QB. Its way different than when Macc came here.

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Um, no, your leaving out a huge part of my argument, the Patriots reign will end soon! Your going to see over the next few weeks a much weaker Pats team as injuries mount. They are not nearly as deep as they use to be & Brady will not get better in his 40s. So knowing that its much different than 3 years ago when the Pats went 38-10 over that time period. Also during that period neither the Fins or Bills have put together a championship caliber team or have found their franchise QB. Its way different than when Macc came here.

Please allow me to amend my initial response:

18 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Basically, the argument is:

"Who wouldn't want to come here?  We are in an almost identical situation (high first, lots of money, team devoid of talent) as we were three years ago!"

+

PiG riPe SlauGhtEr

12 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Unfortunately Mac isn't going anywhere. So redirect this post to just replacing the HC and staff. 

Which I think can still work. Get a guy who is focused on the offensive side. Give Allen Robinson what he wants. Draft your QB with the first pick. Draft your LT with the second pick. 

Exactly what folks said about Rex and Idzik.  

6 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Why are they paying NYS income tax in NJ?

They are the NEW YORK Jets no? Their offices could be registered in NYC and only the facility is in NJ. If the Corporation is registered in NJ then they would pay NJ Income tax. Come on man, you know what I was getting at.

18 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

IE the rams 2 years ago . 

Even the Jets in 2006 and 2008. Ended the previous seasons' with Brooks Bollinger and Kellen Clemens at QB playing behind some of the worst offensive lineman I've ever seen. Those teams were a shambles. 

A good draft in 2006, a big free agency in 2008 and suddenly there was a positive impact, at least until Favre's arm fell off. Even then we got the positive feeling back with Rex/Sanchez/Scott. It can be done - We just need to make the right moves. Players aren't going to be concerned about joining if we're investing in talent.

If I were Woody, I'd be on the phone with Casserly asking some serious questions about his choices & why he believes they are fairing so poorly. Then just when he starts to reply slam the mother f*cking phone down on him!

17 minutes ago, Jetster said:

The Chorus to get rid of Bowles won't just be heard from the fans. The Media is killing him for his decisions, demeanor, and most importantly the horrible defense being played week after week by this supposed defensive genius. Jets are the butt of jokes from every pregame show. He chose Mo over Snacks, probably wanted Lee, was part of the team taking safeties in the 1st & 2nd round of the draft, lost the team completely last year & his defense has given up almost 400 rushing yards in 2 games.

And if there is one thing we know from the Woody era, it's that when the fans and media get on him to fire and hire, things always work out.

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

oh wow, I had no idea...that sounds pretty bad

I believe these DC coordinators acting as HCs is a bad idea! Especially the way the Jets are set up with Bowles & Macc as EQUALS. No way you can tell me that Bowles doesn't favor D over O. Most conservative MO FO Ive ever seen!

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

And if there is one thing we know from the Woody era, it's that when the fans and media get on him to fire and hire, things always work out.

So are you saying you want to keep Bowles for continuity? lmao!

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

I believe these DC coordinators acting as HCs is a bad idea! Especially the way the Jets are set up with Bowles & Macc as EQUALS. No way you can tell me that Bowles doesn't favor D over O. Most conservative MO FO Ive ever seen!

For sure. But wait, did Bowles also pick Leonard Williams and do the Sheldon trade? Because those look pretty good

35 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

The GM likely pays NJ income and property taxes, which are expensive relative to the rest of most of the US.  I am sure that the agents have this figured out.  There are teams in high tax states, like NY (Bills), Massachusetts, California (3 teams), Illinois.   There are teams in low/zero tax states, like TX (2) and Florida (3).   This should not make a difference.

Woody has hired lightweight first timers because they were the people that would put up with his meddling and org structure.  

I think he needs to show something better to avoid any hystrionics with the California QBs.  I think the theme of the Jets going forward should be redemption:

1)  Give Dorsey the President job and a chance to redeem himself.  We all think he did well, but there is a negative MMQB article out there (planted by Hunt, probably), and the implication that Reid may have been behind the picks.

2)  Give Macc a chance to redeem himself as still nominal GM who focuses on scouting.  I think Macc's goal was to draft players that the coaches wanted or who had high grades, but he was not building a team.  Someone needs to help him with that.  His contract probably says he reports to Woody, but he can waive/amend that.

As another example of MaccBowles-ism, Dalvin Cook is doing great running behind a now good Vikings line with Elflein at Center.  Stewart is riding the bench while Kerley plays.

3)  Give Woody a chance to redeem himself, like Kraft did, by having him and his minions stay out of football operations.  They can sell tickets, but let the football guys build on an established time frame.

4)  Let Bowles redeem himself by showing that he can design and coach a defense, which at this point will be used for another team.  I think he has pooped in his bed here.

5)  Give the offensive staff a chance to redeem themselves by working with a new coach.  This may not work if the new offensive minded coach wants his own staff.

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

For sure. But wait, did Bowles also pick Leonard Williams and do the Sheldon trade? Because those look pretty good

People panned the Williams pick as unnecessary! Well, hows it looking now with Richardson 1 toke out of the league for a 2nd & Kearse, and with Mo Wilkerson looking like hes taken the money & quit? Thank god Leo fell in our laps! Old saying in the NFL, "be careful who you give millions to", turns out Mo likes money more than he loves football, damn shame but hard to blame the Jets for it (cant read peoples minds).

24 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

They are the NEW YORK Jets no? Their offices could be registered in NYC and only the facility is in NJ. If the Corporation is registered in NJ then they would pay NJ Income tax. Come on man, you know what I was getting at.

That is completely incorrect. My company is registered in NY, but we have offices in most states. People who work in NJ don't pay NY taxes. They pay NJ taxes, even though they report to bosses who work in NY. 

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

People panned the Williams pick as unnecessary! Well, hows it looking now with Richardson 1 toke out of the league for a 2nd & Kearse, and with Mo Wilkerson looking like hes taken the money & quit? Thank god Leo fell in our laps! Old saying in the NFL, "be careful who you give millions to", turns out Mo likes money more than he loves football, damn shame but hard to blame the Jets for it (cant read peoples minds).

Did Williams play yesterday?  Cause everybody is bashing Wilkerson, but I saw him make a few plays.  We were trying to remember if they called Williams number all day.  Meanwhile... Vic Beasley

47 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

a lot has to do with the whole ny scene besides the taxes. ny is such a huge media market that the players tend to get pulled different ways and distracted.  not to me the complete morons like maneesh who cover the team for the local media.  they love to pick on individual players and tend to kow tow to the owners.

after yesterday i don't see how bowles keeps his job.  they didn't lie down and actually looked fairly good for a quarter and a half but considering all that they've thrown into the defense, and that bowles is supposed to be a good defensive coach they certainly didn't show much of it on the field.  they were gashed left and right.  this much vaunted dline was consistently knocked off the ball. and carr had all day to throw. in contrast, the offense almost looked reasonable.

30 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Bowles picked Leonard Williams for this week - because check out his PFF grading against the Raiders.  Macc was responsible for the pick last week, because of the awesome grades he got against the Bills.

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Did Williams play yesterday?  Cause everybody is bashing Wilkerson, but I saw him make a few plays.  We were trying to remember if they called Williams number all day.  Meanwhile... Vic Beasley

Todd Bowles fault, also.  Beasley would be Vernon Gholston if he were here with Bowles.  I GUARANTEE IT.

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

Bowles picked Leonard Williams for this week - because check out his PFF grading against the Raiders.  Macc was responsible for the pick last week, because of the awesome grades he got against the Bills.

Man, this is heady stuff. Glad JN is here to let me know what's going on

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Man, this is heady stuff. Glad JN is here to let me know what's going on

That's just the beginning.  Did you hear the one where Todd Bowles was an idiot for pushing for two safeties but the safeties got good PFF grades and are good, so Macc deserves praise for drafting them?

23 minutes ago, gEYno said:

That's just the beginning.  Did you hear the one where Todd Bowles was an idiot for pushing for two safeties but the safeties got good PFF grades and are good, so Macc deserves praise for drafting them?

Even if Bowles was pushing hard for a player who would know? No one would hear him. They wouldn't even notice his excited face. 

Archived