Here's where we disagree

Jetster

53 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Did Williams play yesterday?  Cause everybody is bashing Wilkerson, but I saw him make a few plays.  We were trying to remember if they called Williams number all day.  Meanwhile... Vic Beasley

1)  I think Beasley was viewed as a 4-5 player, which would have turned the Jets off.

2)  As repeated here multiple times, the Williams pick was a good one, but it needed to be followed with managing the roster to lighten the commitment to the interior DL.  Macc could have easily let Mo sign somewhere else and collect a comp pick like the Broncos did with a similar player, Malik Jackson.   But instead, someone at the Jets wanted to hoard these players like a child with his jelly beans.

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

2)  As repeated here multiple times, the Williams pick was a good one, but it needed to be followed with managing the roster to lighten the commitment to the interior DL.  Macc could have easily let Mo sign somewhere else and collect a comp pick like the Broncos did with a similar player, Malik Jackson.   But instead, someone at the Jets wanted to hoard these players like a child with his jelly beans.

I don't know how to take this.  Does this mean that I should be thanking God that Williams fell into our lap or not?

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Let Bowles redeem himself by showing that he can design and coach a defense, which at this point will be used for another team.  I think he has pooped in his bed here.

Change and instability are killers as far as developing a young team, but Bowles loves his veterans more than his "developing players". No Bryce Petty or Heaven forbid, Christian Hackenberg, very little ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hansen. Bowles is simply the latest in a long line of DC head coaching wanna-be's and he has got to go. This defense has totally taken on his milquetoast, emotionless personality. Guys like #52 jumped clean OUT of a running lane and Washington went on a long TD run. I think he is Bruce Carter and his most impressive ability was the speed in which he got the F out of the way.

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Basically, the argument is "Who wouldn't want to come here?  We are in an almost identical situation (high first, lots of money, team devoid of talent) as we were three years ago!"

Tom Brady is 3 years older though. So if Belly. Duck Dynasty out.

18 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't know how to take this.  Does this mean that I should be thanking God that Williams fell into our lap or not?

He has proven to be vastly overrated. He hasn't shown me a damn thing, nor has Mo, Darren Lee, Buster Skrine, Marcus Williams, Burris etc, etc, etc.

2 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

On the other hand, I have been saying forever that a huge reason nobody (in any sport, not just football) wants to come here is because they lose approximately 35% of their salary to NYS Income tax.

The highest possible rate to pay is 8.82% in New York State...which mentioned above...isn't where they play...

wrong on every level.

The billboarding of Idzik was very bad for this team, woody being in London is bad, sharing a market and a stadium with the Giants is bad, Brady has 3-5 years left, crazy cost of living and taxes, and the roster is 3 years away from being good, and the Jets track record is bad on giving people time to build anything and the executive reporting structure is a train wreck.

its D list all the way.

Any hot shot with options comes here to drive his price up.

5 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

They are the NEW YORK Jets no? Their offices could be registered in NYC and only the facility is in NJ. If the Corporation is registered in NJ then they would pay NJ Income tax. Come on man, you know what I was getting at.

Fortunately, New Jersey taxes are so much better than NY.... umm, well, umm, maybe not.

The Jets GM and HC positions should be a dream for potential candidates. Literally all you need to do is be mediocre and you're essentially guaranteed to stay on as GM and HC for as long as you want. Herm Edwards had to go 4-12 before he was "traded" to KC. Rex Ryan posted the same record before he was fired. Eric Mangini is the only coach who (potentially) got a raw deal, but even he survived a 4-12 season before being given a playoff mandate which he obviously missed. If he wasn't such a secretive psychopath, he likely would have survived well beyond three years. 

We're probably going to have a top three pick, $80mm in cap space, an idiot owner abroad in England for the next three years (at least), and are in a division that has Tom Brady retiring in the next couple of years. 

What's not to like?

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Basically, the argument is "Who wouldn't want to come here?  We are in an almost identical situation (high first, lots of money, team devoid of talent) as we were three years ago!"

The X factor is will the Jets have a top 2 pick with both Darnold, and Rosen declaring.  If so guys will be tripping over each other to come here, BUT if the Jets are picking 6th like 3 years ago, or those kids stay in school  your right we will be choosing from the scrap heap again.

6 hours ago, Dcat said:

That is completely incorrect. My company is registered in NY, but we have offices in most states. People who work in NJ don't pay NY taxes. They pay NJ taxes, even though they report to bosses who work in NY. 

According to this article, both Jets and Giants players pay NJ taxes, not NY.

https://smartasset.com/taxes/NFL-jock-taxes

8 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

The question isn't "who would want to", it's "who will we be stupid enough to ask" to come here. History has shown Woody skips right over qualified candidates and goes right to over-promoting trash coordinators who've made their bones on the coat tails of good execs, coached and players.

9 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Unfortunately Mac isn't going anywhere. So redirect this post to just replacing the HC and staff. 

Which I think can still work. Get a guy who is focused on the offensive side. Give Allen Robinson what he wants. Draft your QB with the first pick. Draft your LT with the second pick. 

I am not convinced that Mac is safe, nor should he be. He should be evaluated based on his drafts. Hack is completely on him, and it looks like a big whiff, and there are other whiffs too.

4 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

I am not convinced that Mac is safe, nor should he be. He should be evaluated based on his drafts. Hack is completely on him, and it looks like a big whiff, and there are other whiffs too.

No one is safe. Woody Johnson cannot be happy about his investment, Chris Johnson is going to clean house :D

NYC tax added would be pretty close to that.
That's why it's much cheaper to play outside of cities in general. 

NFL players have to pay taxes to each state they play in. So the home state is important - but it's more complicated than that. Each road game they need to file a separate return for. Playing in an income tax free state like Texas or Florida is obviously the best way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

My perspective on the Jets after 47 years of being a Jet fan. Yeah I'm old. If the Jets ever get a new head coach, he needs to be an offensive minded coach. The Jets have prided themselves on having a defensive team, a defensive HC. We'll that hasn't worked. To win games you need to score points, score touchdowns, execute in the red zone. Something the Jets haven't done in I can't remember when. This team has focused on defense year after year. It's  not working. It hasn't worked. The defense keeps you in games. The offensive wins games. You have to put points on the board. Unless the FO gets it, the Jets are doomed to repeat their past history. I want a HC that has a play card in his hand, calling the offenses plays. When was the last time that happened. Until this team decides to go all in and build the team around a great QB, tough O-line, star running backs and receivers we will just see more of the same. Next year go offense, go all in. Todd Bowles has been disconnected from the offense since he's been here. Rex was defensively minded. I want a tough D but until you put points on the board with a high powered offensive they are spinning their wheels. Instead of spending 85 million on a D end, spend 85 million on a QB for starters.

20 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

True, but this year, we truly are a sh*thole. And that's without trying. Believe me. This is Mac and Bowles best effort to actually win. It gives them the "best chance" to win now. 

18 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

My perspective on the Jets after 47 years of being a Jet fan. Yeah I'm old. If the Jets ever get a new head coach, he needs to be an offensive minded coach. The Jets have prided themselves on having a defensive team, a defensive HC. We'll that hasn't worked. To win games you need to score points, score touchdowns, execute in the red zone. Something the Jets haven't done in I can't remember when. This team has focused on defense year after year. It's  not working. It hasn't worked. The defense keeps you in games. The offensive wins games. You have to put points on the board. Unless the FO gets it, the Jets are doomed to repeat their past history. I want a HC that has a play card in his hand, calling the offenses plays. When was the last time that happened. Until this team decides to go all in and build the team around a great QB, tough O-line, star running backs and receivers we will just see more of the same. Next year go offense, go all in. Todd Bowles has been disconnected from the offense since he's been here. Rex was defensively minded. I want a tough D but until you put points on the board with a high powered offensive they are spinning their wheels. Instead of spending 85 million on a D end, spend 85 million on a QB for starters.

Strange take after last night.  Macadoo is an offensive coach and they haven't broken 20 in months.  The Giants chose Handley over Belichick for the same reason.  Which ones teams scored more?  

You do need to score points, but that does not require an offensive minded head coach.  It requires a front office emphasizing offense. Bowles and Rex did not.  They seemed to prefer to lose 9-6 than win 30-28.  I agree on the spending and the emphasis, not the head guy.  That killer Ravens D in 2000?  Billick was an offensive guy who got his job from being OC for the Randy Moss/Chris Carter Vikings.  It is okay to have a defensive head coach, if the GM understands that offense is important. 

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Strange take after last night.  Macadoo is an offensive coach and they haven't broken 20 in months.  The Giants chose Handley over Belichick for the same reason.  Which ones teams scored more?  

You do need to score points, but that does not require an offensive minded head coach.  It requires a front office emphasizing offense. Bowles and Rex did not.  They seemed to prefer to lose 9-6 than win 30-28.  I agree on the spending and the emphasis, not the head guy.  That killer Ravens D in 2000?  Billick was an offensive guy who got his job from being OC for the Randy Moss/Chris Carter Vikings.  It is okay to have a defensive head coach, if the GM understands that offense is important. 

I hear ya D and you make a good point.

I saw the heading of the post and it's my disagreement with this organization. The Giants do have a couple rings in the last few years. I just don't get the emphasis the Jets always puts on defense. Many of us here cheering for Hack or Petty to QB. That's how desolate our QB situation is. Beat the Jets with a teams defense instead of trying to win with our defense. Touchdowns are like UFO sightings in my world especially in the red zone. Like I was saying giving a D-end an 87 million $$ contract and signing QBs for 6 million. We all know this is a QB league. The most important position on the field, but apparently not in the Jet organizations mind. I'd just like to see a high powered Jet offense in my lifetime. Try something new. It might just work.

Archived