Do the Jets Not Understand the Concept of "Bridge QB"

Warfish

The idea of a "bridge QB", or the dreaded "Journeyman veteran" is simply to get you from this moment, to a moment where your young QB's can take the reigns and play.

Once they play, the young QB usualy gets a couple of seasons to make or break, before either they stick or another transition to another your QB begins.

But look at the Jets main QB's since Macc took over:

2015 - Fitz

2016 - Fitz

2017 - McCown

This isn't a bridge, this is "playing the old guy if he's available in any form".

Look, I may not have loved Sanchez.  I may never have believed in Geno.  And I even could buy the Fitz move in 2015 as a "**** it, lets try and win real quick" fantasy once it got rolling.

But I believed in playing Pennington, Sanchez, Geno and really giving them a chance to show us what they were.  While we can quibble on when each should have been transitioned away from (lol, with a bridge QB) we generally all agree that the transitions were warranted and that each got a pretty extended tryout to show their worth.

But now?  Where is the transition?  Where is the "ok, kid, get in there!" movement?

It's unacceptable that we're still staring at old, nobody QB's and not transitioning to the kids now.  

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The idea of a "bridge QB", or the dreaded "Journeyman veteran" is simply to get you from this moment, to a moment where your young QB's can take the reigns and play.

Once they play, the young QB usualy gets a couple of seasons to make or break, before either they stick or another transition to another your QB begins.

2015 - Fitz

2016 - Fitz

2017 - McCown

This isn't a bridge, this is "playing the old guy if he's available in any form".

Look, I may not have loved Sanchez.  I may never have believed in Geno.  And I even could buy the Fitz move in 2015 as a "**** it, lets try and win real quick" fantasy once it got rolling.

But I believed in playing Pennington, Sanchez, Geno and really giving them a chance to show us what they were.  While we can quibble on when each should have been transitioned away from (lol, with a bridge QB) we generally all agree that the transitions were warranted and that each got a pretty extended tryout to show their worth.

But now?  Where is the transition?  Where is the "ok, kid, get in there!" movement?

It's unacceptable that we're still staring at old, nobody QB's and not transitioning to the kids now.  

Only TB knows the answer to this question.  My guess for a few months now has been when the Jets are ,mathematically eliminated, but I could now see them going to Hack or Petty at 0-4.

Fitzpatrick was brought in to backup Geno except when they kept handing Smith the job and something would happen (injuries football related and otherwise)

McCown was brought in in case Petty or Hackenburg couldn't step up, which is exactly what is happening here.

Problem isn't playing veterans, it is that the young QB's are just not good enough.

15 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Fitzpatrick was brought in to backup Geno except when they kept handing Smith the job and something would happen (injuries football related and otherwise)

McCown was brought in in case Petty or Hackenburg couldn't step up, which is exactly what is happening here.

Problem isn't playing veterans, it is that the young QB's are just not good enough.

So then Macc failed in choosing the right rookie QB's. 

4 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

I think TB is perfectly satisfied starting journeyman QBs

I think he goes to bed and wakes up thinking "once I get this defense dialed in we are gonna win a lot of games 14-6"

Delusional as it may be it is who he is.

I'm sure he'd be even more satisfied with starting a good QB, but unfortunately that's not an option.

The tricky situation with a bridge is that, in order for it to work, you need something at the other end of that bridge.  In the case of the Jets, it would probably be more appropriate to refer to them as a "cliff QB".

53 minutes ago, Warfish said:

2015 - Fitz

2016 - Fitz

2017 - McCown

There's no transition moment, because it's clear that the team (right or wrong and I personally believe right) does not plan on Hackenberg or Petty being transitioned to.  The transition will come to whomever we draft next, if that player shows the potential to be an NFL starter.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

2015 - Fitz

2016 - Fitz

2017 - McCown

Yeah, good post. I will root for any kid QB the Jets put out there. They get it right once and the team is set.

Just don't understand the McCown thing. They should switch to Petty this week.

16 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Give it a few weeks. Petty will be in there soon enough. 

I'd love to believe that.  I truly would.  But nothing in the way they have handled him in the preseason suggest they have any desire to work him in.  From the way they played (or didn't play him) before the injury, to the way Bowles spoke in circles trying to avoid saying anything about him, it looks like they are locked in on riding McCown all the way now that Hack has completely failed.  I actually thing they are afraid he'll get in and be just good enough to block them from working Hack in later in the season.

I would love nothing more than to see Petty get in (no matter how) and start balling and tossing some long completions.  Of course in the bizarro-world of the Jets, he would have to check down from the first two sub-5-yard options they call for him each play in order to toss a long ball but so be it.  The best part of it beyond having something fun to look forward to on Sundays would be watching the press guys mercilessly asking Bowles why it took him so long to put Petty in and watching Bowles get pissier and pissier.  Hey, a guy can dream...

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I'd love to believe that.  I truly would.  But nothing in the way they have handled him in the preseason suggest they have any desire to work him in.  From the way they played (or didn't play him) before the injury, to the way Bowles spoke in circles trying to avoid saying anything about him, it looks like they are locked in on riding McCown all the way now that Hack has completely failed.  I actually thing they are afraid he'll get in and be just good enough to block them from working Hack in later in the season.

I would love nothing more than to see Petty get in (no matter how) and start balling and tossing some long completions.  Of course in the bizarro-world of the Jets, he would have to check down from the first two sub-5-yard options they call for him each play in order to toss a long ball but so be it.  The best part of it beyond having something fun to look forward to on Sundays would be watching the press guys mercilessly asking Bowles why it took him so long to put Petty in and watching Bowles get pissier and pissier.  Hey, a guy can dream...

Actually you're right. I'm pretty sure the Jets view Petty as their long term back up. And that's not a bad thing. Good back up QBs for super cheap are pretty sought after. It's just that the Jets have it backwards and don't have their QB1 yet. Hopefully next year. I just don't see McCown playing the entire year and it'll be interesting to see who they turn to. I think the smart thing would be to give Hack a chance and see what he can do. Don't risk the tank and you see what you have. Then let the draft pick and petty battle it out.

1 hour ago, The Crimson King said:

I've seen multiple posters make this point yet, when exactly did Petty show in the offseason that he couldn't compete with McCown? They didn't even give him any live reps versus the first team defenses. This is purely conjecture on your, and many others, parts. If Petty were given the same chances as Hack and performed the same way, I would agree 100% but he wasn't and that is why many fans want to see how he may have improved over the course of this offseason. 

They benched Fitz last year and started Petty. It was his job to win or lose. But he didn't play well and got injured. As for Hack he got his shot in pre-season and except for a few good drives couldn't move the ball. Chances are he'll get some starts later in the season unless Petty steps it up. It was smart to sign McCown and he isn't a bad Qb at all. He can run an offense, so far hasn't made stupid mistakes (like Fitz). 

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Only TB knows the answer to this question.  My guess for a few months now has been when the Jets are ,mathematically eliminated, but I could now see them going to Hack or Petty at 0-4.

I keep saying the same thing. I really hope they put in Petty or Hack at 0-4 or 0-6 vs. full mathematical elimination.

Just now, Rangers9 said:

They benched Fitz last year and started Petty. It was his job to win or lose. But he didn't play well and got injured. As for Hack he got his shot in pre-season and except for a few good drives couldn't move the ball. Chances are he'll get some starts later in the season unless Petty steps it up. It was smart to sign McCown and he isn't a bad Qb at all. He can run an offense, so far hasn't made stupid mistakes (like Fitz). 

So if we draft a QB with a top 3 pick next year, you're saying that if he doesn't play well in his first 4 starts then gets injured, we shouldn't give him another chance to start the following season to see if he has improved? Makes no sense. 

2 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

So if we draft a QB with a top 3 pick next year, you're saying that if he doesn't play well in his first 4 starts then gets injured, we shouldn't give him another chance to start the following season to see if he has improved? Makes no sense. 

Well Petty was injured this season, too. The Jets have turned down a few deals (probably with little return) so they still have interest in him. Look you start a season off and try to win games with your best players esp at Qb. Right now we're 0-2 and haven't looked good but McCown has been ok. I think if McCown on a good team he would do alright. And win games. I felt that way when he was with Cleveland. Unless things completely turn around Petty is next up to start. If he doesn't do the job again then you go to Hack. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I think if McCown on a good team he would do alright. And win games. I felt that way when he was with Cleveland.

Dude no team with Josh McCown as your starting QB is a good team. Josh McCown and good team shouldn't be used in the same sentence. 18-44 lifetime NFL 2-24 as of recent.

Josh McCown sucks. 

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That raises another issue, the massive over-conservative way this team does play young QB's when they finally get their chance. It's so bad we'd never know if we had a good QB with all the endless handoffs and 2-yard outs.

Bowles plays bad veteran QBs over the younger players because in his small peanut of a mind, he believes his defense is good enough to keep him in the game & we may squeek out a 4th quarter win. The theory is a complete farce because Bowles defenses are absolutely terrible, putting too much pressure on his bad offense QBed by loser vets that no other teams want trying to play mistake free football from behind. There is absolutely no reason, based on what we've witnessed in the 1st two games why Petty or Hackenberg shouldn't be starting at home vs Miami. Waste...of...everyone's...time & energy for this teams future. That includes playing Kerley over Stewart & Forte over McGuire.

25 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Petty had 2 healthy starting olineman playing & a checked out Marshall & Decker was hurt. You say he got his chance? Brady would have been killed behind that line!

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Petty had 2 healthy starting olineman playing & a checked out Marshall & Decker was hurt. You say he got his chance? Brady would have been killed behind that line!

Look Petty didn't play well. He got starts and didn't deliver. You can make those excuses for every Qb because there are always injuries. Petty did play well this pre-season and I want to see him get additional starts. But not until we play at least 4 games and are out of it. 

9 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look Petty didn't play well. He got starts and didn't deliver. You can make those excuses for every Qb because there are always injuries. Petty did play well this pre-season and I want to see him get additional starts. But not until we play at least 4 games and are out of it. 

Do you really think the Jets are in it?    Oh my

10 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Because you still think we might be in it?

13 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Because you still think we might be in it?

I guess you are saying I'm out of it for saying they're still in it. I've seen teams get slaughtered and good teams and bounce back and play well. But imo you give it at least 4 games until you officially give it up. 

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I guess you are saying I'm out of it for saying they're still in it. I've seen teams get slaughtered and good teams and bounce back and play well. But imo you give it at least 4 games until you officially give it up. 

I hear ya. Sometimes things get skewed too far after losses. Jets just faced 2 of the best olines in the league on the road & we rarely play well in Oakland (12-4 team last year). Their Oline looked better, Kearse looks pretty good, McGuire looks shifty, Adams looks good, I doubt we'll give up almost 200 yards rushing in every game. I can definitely see us pulling 1 out vs the Fins at home not that I want them to but none of us have anything on the outcome.

Sadly I think the reason is there's just no real belief in either to be the guy. Bowles thinks the only way to save his job is to somehow miraculously overachieve - He's not surviving a tank so it's not in his interest to experiment for the sake of helping his replacement.

McCown has actually been one of our better players, which isn't saying much. He's a good backup but nothing more - Which is pretty concerning in terms of what that says about Petty. Don't even get me started on Hack. 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

That's not true - the whole team played like crap when Petty was out there and the patchwork Oline almost got him killed.....Petty deserves to be out there sooner than later.

I can't say I can support this with alot of evidence, but I would think that most coaches and GMs that are bridging QBs are new at their jobs with long contracts in front of them.

What is less typical are a coach and GM with two years left on their contract who are being asked to rebuild/play with a depleted roster, etc.

I think that is a tough ask for them, which is why I have been more doubtful that the Jets could out tank a team like the 49ers, or the Bills.  

But what we have going for us is a coach who has completely miscast the defense that he is proving incapable of coaching.

I too feel badly that the Jets look like they are going to have to start over again with a coach and GM.  It is not a long-term path to success, but stability only works when you hire the right people and stick with them in tough times.   Based on what I have seen the last 2 years, I am not sure Bowles is the right coach, or a good coach, for this team.  I think there may be more uncertainty as to whether Macc is a lost cause.  But the Jets pick so high, and have so much money to spend, that at a minimum they need to hire a grown up to make sure Macc does not blow it (if they don't replace him entirely).

Archived