Do the Jets Not Understand the Concept of "Bridge QB"

Warfish

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

The idea of a "bridge QB", or the dreaded "Journeyman veteran" is simply to get you from this moment, to a moment where your young QB's can take the reigns and play.

Once they play, the young QB usualy gets a couple of seasons to make or break, before either they stick or another transition to another your QB begins.

But look at the Jets main QB's since Macc took over:

2015 - Fitz

2016 - Fitz

2017 - McCown

This isn't a bridge, this is "playing the old guy if he's available in any form".

Look, I may not have loved Sanchez.  I may never have believed in Geno.  And I even could buy the Fitz move in 2015 as a "**** it, lets try and win real quick" fantasy once it got rolling.

But I believed in playing Pennington, Sanchez, Geno and really giving them a chance to show us what they were.  While we can quibble on when each should have been transitioned away from (lol, with a bridge QB) we generally all agree that the transitions were warranted and that each got a pretty extended tryout to show their worth.

But now?  Where is the transition?  Where is the "ok, kid, get in there!" movement?

It's unacceptable that we're still staring at old, nobody QB's and not transitioning to the kids now.  

yes it's a pretty bleak situation right now.  and unless hack or petty take the reigns we will be looking at it next season again unless they're willing to throw whatever rookie they choose into the fire.  and from the look of things so far we may be looking at the defense giving up record points.

one thing i think you could have added to your timeline was the whole geno thing.  i'm no geno fan but the worst thing they did was re-sign fitz so late.  because of this geno had a chance to win over some of the team to his side.  and he was talented enough to be a starter even if he make some really dumb plays. they could've re-signed fitz but then make sure he won the job in training camp instead of just anointing him.  after all he was originally signed to be the back up.  yes geno was very dumb for getting slugged but what else did he do to land so firmly in bowles dog house?

3 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Fitzpatrick was brought in to backup Geno except when they kept handing Smith the job and something would happen (injuries football related and otherwise)

McCown was brought in in case Petty or Hackenburg couldn't step up, which is exactly what is happening here.

Problem isn't playing veterans, it is that the young QB's are just not good enough.

That is exactly right.  McCown is a "hold the fort" QB. I do believe however, that Petty will get to start sooner rather than later when/if the losses continue to pile up.  

1 hour ago, Larz said:

jets are 22nd in team scoring, last in defense, and we still get QB threads, lol

It's pretty early in the season so I see that number falling. Maybe not though. With the game on at 4 yesterday and having Sunday Ticket I was able to watch quite a few games and I was just amazed at how pathetic the Offenses of a lot of teams were. I know it's early but man it was downright sad just how badly a lot of teams executed. In the coming weeks that may change but I'm not all that optimistic for some teams out there. I do believe the Jets are one of the worst teams out there in the early going and if their defense keeps playing this way they will have a top 2 or 3 pick but while its hard to believe there are worst teams out there right now. The Niners, Bears, Browns, and Jaguars are all equally pathetic and some other teams like Seattle, Arizona, and Indy could all be rounding out what could be a pathetic bunch of Offenses around the League. IMHO Seattle's OL is terrible and they are going to get Russell Wilson killed if they don't get it together. Arizona has lost their starting RB and lets face it Carson Palmer is just their Josh McCown at this point. It will be interesting to see how the season progresses but I am thinking the Jets will have a lot of company in the bottom half of the league this season and could wind up picking anywhere from 1st to 6th. Again the reasoning behind this is not because of any progress they make just the overall sucktitude of the rest of the league. Food for thought.

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

The idea of a "bridge QB", or the dreaded "Journeyman veteran" is simply to get you from this moment, to a moment where your young QB's can take the reigns and play.

Once they play, the young QB usualy gets a couple of seasons to make or break, before either they stick or another transition to another your QB begins.

But look at the Jets main QB's since Macc took over:

2015 - Fitz

2016 - Fitz

2017 - McCown

This isn't a bridge, this is "playing the old guy if he's available in any form".

Look, I may not have loved Sanchez.  I may never have believed in Geno.  And I even could buy the Fitz move in 2015 as a "**** it, lets try and win real quick" fantasy once it got rolling.

But I believed in playing Pennington, Sanchez, Geno and really giving them a chance to show us what they were.  While we can quibble on when each should have been transitioned away from (lol, with a bridge QB) we generally all agree that the transitions were warranted and that each got a pretty extended tryout to show their worth.

But now?  Where is the transition?  Where is the "ok, kid, get in there!" movement?

It's unacceptable that we're still staring at old, nobody QB's and not transitioning to the kids now.  

That's what you get when an idiot or someone that just doesn't care is your owner.

Archived