When Does Bowles get Fired?

PS17

We have Miami coming up, likely a loss. Then Jacksonville and Cleveland.

Does he get fired if we start 0-5? If not, when? The offense is incompetent, the defense just as bad, his trademark. The team plays with no emotion, mirroring him. And he can't manage a game. (I feel like I made the exact same post a year ago). 

WHEN????? 

2017 NFL Futures: Which Head Coach Will Get Fired First?

By Noah Davis
Published on July 23, 2017

Todd Bowles Coaches on Hot Seat

The thing that matters the most in professional sports in winning, so while we spend the majority of our time gauging who will win, it’s only natural that the rest should be figuring out the failures.

The latter side of the sports betting world takes us to a fun yet depressing bet; which NFL head coach will be fired first in 2017? It’s a sad bet to take on, as this is people’s livelihoods we’re betting on, but the NFL is a cold world for the shot callers. We saw that last year when huge names like Rex Ryan and Jeff Fisher got handed pink slips during the regular season, while others like Mike McCoy got shown the door once the season ended.

2017 NFL Odds – First Coach Fired

We’re not really looking for a perfect order here, however. The play is to try to predict which coaches are arguably already in a bad spot and whether or not they could get axed before some of the other coaches that also happen to be in less than enviable situations.

We get that action at TopBet.eu, where we can bet on some logical names being fired ahead of Super Bowl 52. We can also bet that zero coaches will be fired before the culmination of the entire season, or we can take The Field:

• Todd Bowles – New York Jets (+150)
  • Hue Jackson – Cleveland Browns (+500)
  • John Fox – Chicago Bears (+800)
  • Chuck Pagano – Indianapolis Colts (+800)
  • Jim Caldwell – Detroit Lions (+1000)
  • Bill O’Brien – Houston Texans (+1500)
  • Sean Payton – New Orleans Saints (+2000)
  • Sean McDermott – Buffalo Bills (+2500)
  • Adam Gase – Miami Dolphins (+3000)
  • Sean McVay – Los Angeles Rams (+3000)
  • Kyle Shanahan – San Francisco 49ers (+3500)
  • Jason Garrett – Dallas Cowboys (+5000)
  • No Firings Before Super Bowl 52 (+800)
  • The Field -Any Other Head Coach (+200)

This feels like a pretty obvious list working from the top down, as Hue Jackson’s Browns had the worst record in the league in 2016 and Bowles saw his Jets completely implode last year.

Both Bowles and Jackson could be on the hotseat, but they also could have bought some time. Neither teams have their franchise quarterback in place yet and are clearly rebuilding, so it’s not crazy to think their ownership might be a little more patient than usual. They remain the clear front-runners to get axed if they can’t show mild improvement, however.

29 minutes ago, Gen X Jet said:

I'm with you.  If the goal is to tank, there's no one better for the job.

This.  

The fans want a potential franchise QB.  This is the year with the greatest chance to get one.  

Bowles and Mac have already driven the team into the ground.  The best thing they can do right now is get a top pick.

The players are actually playing hard and getting good experience, except the young WRs.  

We are also figuring out how bad some of the players are.  

We should stay the course with Bowles.

The question is whether you fire Macc and have Neil Glat take over and have him cut and trade veterans and fill up on other teams' practice squads.

My bet is the start of the bye week, Monday November 13th, if it happens during the season - the Chargers on Christmas Eve will be the only winnable game left on the schedule, and you can't fire the guy on Christmas day unless he loses to the Chargers on Christmas Eve, at the last home game of the year, in front of an empty stadium

11 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Art Briles* would get the Jets back in the news and he has worked with Petty

*this is bad joke for the folks who will take this too seriously - he does not deserve a second chance except mabe in the depths of hell 

A CFL team hired him and then fired him after they found out who he was. Bad job on their end even let it get that far. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/cfl-team-suddenly-reverses-decision-to-hire-former-baylor-coach-art-briles/

5 hours ago, PS17 said:

Does he get fired if we start 0-5? If not, when? The offense is incompetent, the defense just as bad, his trademark. The team plays with no emotion, mirroring him. And he can't manage a game. (I feel like I made the exact same post a year ago). 

WHEN????? 

Exactly. He was supposed to be a defensive guru.  This defense is horrific. Boy do they miss David Harris (and Snacks). And for God's sake, when Woody fires Bowles and, hopefully, dead ass Maccagnan, he won't ask Charlie Casserly's advice. That guy should be shot. He has no credibility with me at all now.

27 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

We knew coming in this wasn't a good team so why should starting 0-2 hasten the dismissal of the HC? 

because he hasn't improved on any facet of being an NFL HC since his fortuitous 10- 6 rookie campaign.. frankly, he's arguably gotten worse..

both sides of the ball still play listlessly..

he still makes absolutely baffling in game decisions.. 

he still plays the oldest guys on the roster at the expense of developing the kids..

his defense's still play like understanding the playbook/assignments is optional..

he still has no idea or inclination of how to develop/put his young QBs in a position to succeed..

he still can't get a still talented DL to play up to their abilities..

he still plays his key defensive players out of position..

his depth charts are still nonsensical..

he still doesn't demand accountability..

he still is not a leader of men..

3 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

A CFL team hired him and then fired him after they found out who he was. Bad job on their end even let it get that far. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/cfl-team-suddenly-reverses-decision-to-hire-former-baylor-coach-art-briles/

yea, joke is in bad taste but if we start at the worst thing that could still happen to the Jets this year, it can only improve, right?

i'm not ready to give up but it's getting close.  i'm pretty sure everyone has said it before.  a supposed defensive guru shouldn't be getting his defense knocked around so badly.  i don't care if he is starting two rookies they aren't the reason why the running backs are getting into the secondary on what is becoming a regular basis. i'll give it 2 maybe 3 more games before joining the chorus.

14 minutes ago, jetgreen13 said:

because he hasn't improved on any facet of being an NFL HC since his fortuitous 10- 6 rookie campaign.. frankly, he's arguably gotten worse..

he still plays the oldest guys on the roster at the expense of developing the kids..

his defense's still play like understanding the playbook/assignments is optional..

he still has no idea or inclination of how to develop/put his young QBs in a position to succeed..

On point.

The defense already appears to have quit on their coach. The offense is just trash trying to make sure they get a camp invite from another trash team next year.

The only franchise caliber athlete to wear green and white the past few years is Snacks, and he's a Giant now. The only hopefuls are Leo and Adams, because: draft pedigree.

6 minutes ago, jetgreen13 said:

not saying you're wrong on any of this but can we give it 8 games at least? this is a young team that you would hope improves as the year progresses. Why does he get no credit for the improvement on offense in week 2? But just to counterpoint:

This is a little overstated. There was some justification in punting. Although I agree because it was disappointing but more because it showed lack of confidence in the O. But maybe that motivates them

QB? WR? What other position is the old guy playing? There really isn't many old guys on the team. 

6 new starters on defense. 1st and 2nd year players. Maybe some time to gel

Gave both guys a chance to take the job. They didn't beat out McCown. I'm sure Morton and Bates have input on when they young QB's are ready. Bates has a ton of QB development experience

I'm not sure how poorly they are playing but being the HC, doesn't the DL coach have to pull his wieght as well

This is about the ILBs I assume. I don't like the argument of 1 LB should be doing this and the other should be doing that. Guess what, if Davis is covering a RB then it's possible Lee is covering a TE. If the run comes at Lee then he's going to have take on a block. You can't keep a LB clean a whole game.

not sure what this means?

How does anyone know what goes on outside of the building

really?

This team needs more talent.  It needs better players.  It needs a franchise QB.  

I don't see the point of changing the coaching that could possibly spark the team.  Hue Jackson saw the season through.  The team is playing hard.  To me, Bowles biggest sin was in selecting the players he has and designing the defense.  That is done.  What's the point in firing him this year?  And who runs the defense?  He shrewdly has surrounded himself with his cronies who are worse than he is?  You have to fire all three of them.

Bob Sutton is doing a great job in KC.

Just now, varjet said:

This team needs more talent.  It needs better players.  It needs a franchise QB.  

I don't see the point of changing the coaching that could possibly spark the team.  Hue Jackson saw the season through.  The team is playing hard.  To me, Bowles biggest sin was in selecting the players he has and designing the defense.  That is done.  What's the point in firing him this year?  And how runs the defense?  He shrewdly has surrounded himself with his cronies who are worse than he is?  You have to fire all three of them.

Bob Sutton is doing a great job in KC.

Agreed.  Funny how this works for Jets castoffs.

37 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

not saying you're wrong on any of this but can we give it 8 games at least? this is a young team that you would hope improves as the year progresses. Why does he get no credit for the improvement on offense in week 2? But just to counterpoint:

This is a little overstated. There was some justification in punting. Although I agree because it was disappointing but more because it showed lack of confidence in the O. But maybe that motivates them

QB? WR? What other position is the old guy playing? There really isn't many old guys on the team. 

6 new starters on defense. 1st and 2nd year players. Maybe some time to gel

Gave both guys a chance to take the job. They didn't beat out McCown. I'm sure Morton and Bates have input on when they young QB's are ready. Bates has a ton of QB development experience

I'm not sure how poorly they are playing but being the HC, doesn't the DL coach have to pull his wieght as well

This is about the ILBs I assume. I don't like the argument of 1 LB should be doing this and the other should be doing that. Guess what, if Davis is covering a RB then it's possible Lee is covering a TE. If the run comes at Lee then he's going to have take on a block. You can't keep a LB clean a whole game.

not sure what this means?

How does anyone know what goes on outside of the building

really?

not saying you're wrong either.. you absolutely can wait as long as you like.. but i'm quite comfortable with my assessment of bowles..

i could pick nits over counterpoints but LOLz i really don't have the energy for it right now.. long work week.. but i will add this..

forte is getting way to many reps at the expense of powell & mcguire.. 

that, & a leader of men don't get trucked by their locker room..

10 hours ago, PS17 said:

WHEN????? 

No reason to fire him if he is 0 and 5. Just ride it out and get the draft pick at that point.

I had hoped that Bowles would show improvement this year. The defense has been so disappointing. If it doesn't improve in a hurry Bowles will be fired the day after the season ends.

Archived