wsj article on nfl low scoring this season

rangerous

article today in the wsj about how the scoring is down in the nfl thus far this season.  it's down about 2.4 points per game.  they claim its the defensive coordinators getting better and getting more sacks.  i guess the scoring will improve once each team gets a swipe at the jets vaunted defense.  the jets are so contrarian.  their defensive points are way up and their sacks are down.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

article today in the wsj about how the scoring is down in the nfl thus far this season.  it's down about 2.4 points per game.  they claim its the defensive coordinators getting better and getting more sacks.  i guess the scoring will improve once each team gets a swipe at the jets vaunted defense.  the jets are so contrarian.  their defensive points are way up and their sacks are down.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/NFL/scoring.htm

what i was suprised about was the decline in scoring last few years.  there was a big bump (3 points per team approximately from 2006 to 2013). 

2 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

After 2 games, 11 teams have scored as many or fewer points than the Jets 32, and the Jets played two good defensive squads. This makes me wonder if the Jets O is a little better than we think. They might just be bad, rather than putrid.

this is terrible news.  

the worst outcome for us is a 4-12 year.

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

The extra point being moved back(very stupid) also has factored in this too.

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

New York, New York, it's a wonderful town!  The points are up and the sacks are down!

3 hours ago, bergenjets said:

Years of strong Dline drafts and crappy Oline drafts. Olines around the league are sucking badly. A solid LT in the current environment should be paid more than any diva WR.

The College game doesnt teach Olines about blocking anymore. The hardly even work from a 3 point stance.

Just now, LIJetsFan said:

Ok but then you'd have to give me an average QB and a good situational fullback.  O still wins :) 

Am I the only one who noticed that McCown only throws to receivers who are really, really open. I began to wonder how open a receiver has to get for McCown to throw the damned ball. I also began to suspect that he is IN on the tank.

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

After 2 games, 11 teams have scored as many or fewer points than the Jets 32, and the Jets played two good defensive squads. This makes me wonder if the Jets O is a little better than we think. They might just be bad, rather than putrid.

That's generally what happens when you plug in nondescript journeyman veterans at every offensive skill position, McCown, Kearse, Kerley and Forte.  

You get "bad, not putrid" performance.  

The price of that "bad" performance is you utterly freeze the development of future/younger talent.

Not something to applaud IMO.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

That's generally what happens when you plug in nondescript journeyman veterans at every offensive skill position, McCown, Kearse, Kerley and Forte.  

You get "bad, not putrid" performance.  

The price of that "bad" performance is you utterly freeze the development of future/younger talent.

Not something to applaud IMO.

I think it has more to do with the O-line performing better than expected.

But, to your point, I think McCown is there to prevent a the O from being the sh*t Show of all sh*t Shows. God knows Hack was given every opportunity to win the job, but there is no excuse for no playing Petty, other than he doesn't seem to know how to stay uninjured. McCown should be considered the long reliever who is only called on when Petty or Hack are overwhelmed.

Kearse is good to have around to teach the young receivers. I think he was a good pick up. I am not sure why they signed Kerley. And I am all for trading Forte to the first team that will take him for anything, and I mean anything.

Archived