Does Eli Manning Deserve to be in the Hall of Fame?

Jack Straw

I don't have any doubt that Eli Manning will be a Hall of Famer when he hangs up his cleats. The purpose of this thread is to debate if he deserves the honor that will likely be bestowed upon him. Personally, I think the idea of pointing at a QB's Super Bowl rings as the reason for their deservedness is pretty simple-minded and arguably dumb. Using that logic, Trent Dilfer is one Super Bowl away from being a Hall of Famer - see my point?

But does a QB whose career QB Rating that is exactly the same as Bryan Hoyer's deserve to wear the yellow jacket? Does a guy with a lower QB rating than Jay Cutler and Mike Glennon deserve the honor? I'm of the belief that the Hall of Fame should be the best of the very best, and Eli Manning has never been a top 5 QB in any season he's ever played in.

Eli Manning's average season looks like this "59.8%, 3,744 yards, 25 TDs, 17 INTs"....is that HoF worthy? Eli has zero MVPs but does have four Pro Bowls. 

Thoughts?

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

I don't have any doubt that Eli Manning will be a Hall of Famer when he hangs up his cleats. The purpose of this thread is to debate if he deserves the honor that will likely be bestowed upon him. Personally, I think the idea of pointing at a QB's Super Bowl rings as the reason for their deservedness is pretty simple-minded and arguably dumb. Using that logic, Trent Dilfer is one Super Bowl away from being a Hall of Famer - see my point?

But does a QB whose career QB Rating that is exactly the same as Bryan Hoyer's deserve to wear the yellow jacket? Does a guy with a lower QB rating than Jay Cutler and Mike Glennon deserve the honor? I'm of the belief that the Hall of Fame should be the best of the very best, and Eli Manning has never been a top 5 QB in any season he's ever played in.

Eli Manning's average season looks like this "59.8%, 3,744 yards, 25 TDs, 17 INTs"....is that HoF worthy? Eli has zero MVPs but does have four Pro Bowls. 

Thoughts?

6 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Yes. He played 200 plus straight games. Beat the Patriots twice in the Super Bowl. He goes in the first year he is eligible.

Impossible....  NYJUNC says he is a jag.   ?

All seriousness.... his stats are solid.  I say YAY.  HE is in. 

The 2 Superbowl upsets are going to get him in, but I've never viewed him as an elite quarterback. He's been a top 10 guy at his best.

If Joe Flacco got hot for another year and won a Superbowl, they are career equivalents IMO. Eli will get in, Flacco wouldn't. Eli's wins were all-time upsets and he's a Manning.

Obviously he shouldn't even be in the conversation. He's a painfully medicore QB who has had a few good runs but has never been one of the better QBs in the league. The New York factor, his last name, and the Super Bowls will be a huge boon for him but in terms of his actual talent/performance he's not even a realistic candidate.

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

Yes. He played 200 plus straight games. Beat the Patriots twice in the Super Bowl. He goes in the first year he is eligible.

Weird, I don't think of him as a Hall of Famer at all. He was never really elite and even the two SB years they had like 9-10 wins I think. He got hot and went on a streak at the right time. Like Rex as a coach only he was able to take it two games further. 

Lists and honors can be so fickle and mean different things to different people. I have no doubt that you're right but I have to grin and snort a bit at the fact, even though it's true. 

Couldnt even call him a top 8 QB in the league half his career. Super bowl is a super bowl I guess, nature of the beast

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

"Yeah, probably" was my initial feeling.  He's a "quiet" HOF'er.  Never that flashy or spectacular to watch tbqh.  Not a personality of any kind.  Vanilla, but good vanilla?

For another franchise, he's Vinny Testeverte.  /shrug.

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

That is exactly why he will go to the HOF.  But take away an extremely  fluky catch where Eli was in the grasp and an Edleman drop/poor Brady pass and the narrative would be quite different.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

"Yeah, probably" was my initial feeling.  He's a "quiet" HOF'er.  Never that flashy or spectacular to watch tbqh.  Not a personality of any kind.  Vanilla, but good vanilla?

For another franchise, he's Vinny Testeverte.  /shrug.

Well just think of how much more annoying the Patriots fans would be with two more Super Bowl victories. :) 

He will probably get in although I wouldn't vote for him. He's a really streaky player surrounded by teams that have taken unbelievably good care of him. His long stretch of games is partially credited to the team around him preventing injury. His SB successes were at least as much on the defenses and one particularly lucky catch. A sack or two at a more dangerous angle, the ball slipping against the helmet, a few blown tackles by the defense and his career is a long term, a little above average QB. 

16 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

He's a really streaky player surrounded by teams that have taken unbelievably good care of him. His long stretch of games is partially credited to the team around him preventing injury.

Did you watch last nights game? The guy takes a beating. 

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

2 Super Bowl Rings

2 Super Bowl MVP's

4 Pro-Bowls

320-217 TD/INT ratio

8th on all-time passing yards list

Um...Yeah, I would say he deserves the HOF nod.....

Honestly, his longevity is probably the most impressive thing about his career. Staying healthy and compiling.

But he's never been a top tier QB. Never been on an All Pro team. Most of his Pro Bowls were because better players backed out or were injured. He's only won 11 or more games twice. Only won the NFC East three times, one of which was with a 9-7 record. His career passer rating is in the low 80s, far below tons of non-Hall of Famers of his generation -- hell he's only had a passer rating above 90 three times. He led the league in interceptions 3 times.

Super Bowl MVPs? People keep referencing that like they're unaware he won by default. In 2007 the Giants front 4 dominated the best offense of all time and the Giants won the game 17-14... And Eli was the best player on the field? Get out of here. Justin Tuck should have been SB MVP.

The guy is basically Joe Flacco in New York. He'll get in because of New York, his name, and the Super Bowls (specifically his role in SB 42) but I can't believe people are defending the idea that he actually belongs in the HoF. By that standard pretty much every QB to win a SB or go to a Pro Bowl in the last 20 years should be in.

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

2 Super Bowl Rings

2 Super Bowl MVP's

4 Pro-Bowls

320-217 TD/INT ratio

8th on all-time passing yards list

Um...Yeah, I would say he deserves the HOF nod.....

As hard for it is for me to say simply because he's a Giant and I hate the Giants almost as much as I hate the Dolphins Eli is a HOF'er and will be in easily. The stats are there and I think the negative reaction to this thread is because he is a Giant. Which ain't a bad reason.

5 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

As hard for it is for me to say simply because he's a Giant and I hate the Giants almost as much as I hate the Dolphins Eli is a HOF'er and will be in easily. The stats are there and I think the negative reaction to this thread is because he is a Giant. Which ain't a bad reason.

His stats compare very favorably to many HOF players....  Bob Griese for one, Jurgensen and many others. 

I don't like it either....  but if stats are the only measure, Namath ain't even close. 

Archived