Question about Multiple 0-16 teams

Philc1

What if we are not the only team that goes 0-16?  As many as three teams (Jets, Colts and 49ers) have a legit shot at 0-16.  The Colts and Niners do play eachother this season so at least one of them will be 1-15.  But that still leaves 2 potential 0-16 teams.  

So how would draft order be based if two 0-16 teams had the same record?  Strength of schedule?  Who determines that?   I ask only because it would be our luck if this happened.

From Wikipedia - so take it fwiw......

Rules for determining draft order

The selection order is based on each team's win-loss record in the previous season and whether the team reached the playoffs. Teams that did not reach the playoffs the previous season are ranked in reverse order of their records (thus the team with the fewest wins is awarded the first selection). Ties between teams with identical records are determined by the following tiebreakers (in order):[57]

1. Strength of schedule, which is the combined win-loss record for all 16 of the team's opponents in the previous season (ties count as a half win and half loss). The team with the lower strength of schedule (i.e. their opponents compiled fewer wins) is granted the earlier pick in round one.
  2. Division tiebreakers (if the teams are in the same division).
  3. Conference tiebreakers (if the teams are in the same conference).
  4. Coin flip(s), which occur(s) at the pre-draft NFL Combine.

3 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

The selection order is based on each team's win-loss record in the previous season and whether the team reached the playoffs. Teams that did not reach the playoffs the previous season are ranked in reverse order of their records (thus the team with the fewest wins is awarded the first selection). Ties between teams with identical records are determined by the following tiebreakers (in order):[57]

1. Strength of schedule, which is the combined win-loss record for all 16 of the team's opponents in the previous season (ties count as a half win and half loss). The team with the lower strength of schedule (i.e. their opponents compiled fewer wins) is granted the earlier pick in round one.

Strength of schedule makes sense.  #2 and #3 wouldn't apply since both teams would have never won a game.  That would really suck if whether or not we got Darnold depended on a coin flip

15 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

What if we are not the only team that goes 0-16?  As many as three teams (Jets, Colts and 49ers) have a legit shot at 0-16.  The Colts and Niners do play eachother this season so at least one of them will be 1-15.  But that still leaves 2 potential 0-16 teams.  

So how would draft order be based if two 0-16 teams had the same record?  Strength of schedule?  Who determines that?   I ask only because it would be our luck if this happened.

Did you really ask who determines the strength of schedule? 

6 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

Strength of schedule, which is the combined win-loss record for all 16 of the team's opponents in the previous season (ties count as a half win and half loss). The team with the lower strength of schedule (i.e. their opponents compiled fewer wins) is granted the earlier pick in round one.

Being in a crappy division helps the Jets here, but we will need the Pats to lose a few more games.

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Strength of schedule makes sense.  #2 and #3 wouldn't apply since both teams would have never won a game.  That would really suck if whether or not we got Darnold depended on a coin flip

Is it a sure thing that Darnold is going # 1 ? It seems like Rosen is having a better year. 

12 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

There will be no tiebreakers between 0-16 teams. I'm pretty sure they will both have a .000 record any way you divide up the games. 

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

We are not going 0-16. Jets will win at least 2 meaningless December games and knock themselves right out of draft positioning. It's what we do best.

The Jets being the Jets not withstanding, it's hard to imagine them winning ANY games after the November 2nd game against the Bills.  Their schedule is brutal after that.  The key to our securing the 1st pick overall is going to be the Jags and Browns games in a few weeks.

3 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

The Jets being the Jets not withstanding, it's hard to imagine them winning ANY games after the November 2nd game against the Bills.  Their schedule is brutal after that.  The key to our securing the 1st pick overall is going to be the Jags and Browns games in a few weeks.

Fournette and Cam Robinson are going to dismantle our defensive front 7 so I have 0.0 concern about us beating the Jags

3 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Honestly, I don't think it matters whether we're one or two (assuming that both Rosen and Darnold enter the draft). All we need is one of the two to be available and I'll be a happy camper.

Darnold I think can be a really good NFL QB from Day 1..  He relies so much on natural instinct that you can't coach.

Rosen will also be good in year 1, but I think needs 3-4 years to really become deadly, like Aaron Rodgers.  He's more calculating.

3 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Honestly, I don't think it matters whether we're one or two (assuming that both Rosen and Darnold enter the draft). All we need is one of the two to be available and I'll be a happy camper.

Darnold is the only qb worth tanking for in this draft

1 minute ago, jetscrazey said:

Darnold I think can be a really good NFL QB from Day 1..  He relies so much on natural instinct that you can't coach.

Rosen will also be good in year 1, but I think needs 3-4 years to really become deadly, like Aaron Rodgers.  He's more calculating.

Agreed. Rosen is the guy I really want - he makes throws that few guys are capable of making.

6 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

By the way, that would be such a Jets thing to go 0-16 and yet still miss out on a top 2 pick...

No what's going to happen is we go 0-15 and then in week 17, having already clinched the division and a bye week, Belichick signs Brooks Bollinger and starts him at QB

23 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

We are not going 0-16. Jets will win at least 2 meaningless December games and knock themselves right out of draft positioning. It's what we do best.

Yep, and if the Pats are already locked into their playoff seed going into week 17 and a win would screw the Jets, Belichick will gladly tank for them.

49 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Strength of schedule would determine the order. So whoever went 0-16 against the weaker opponents would pick first. 

If that somehow came out identical, it'd be down to a coin flip.

58 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yep, and if the Pats are already locked into their playoff seed going into week 17 and a win would screw the Jets, Belichick will gladly tank for them.

You think Belichick would ever try to let the Jets beat him??

Week 17 is the clearest L we have.  Our team will have given up, and Belichick will revel in running up the score.

Archived