This team must be sold

jets rooter

as far as the draft goes.  from 1960-1999 we drafted ONE hall of fame player that played the majority of his career as a Jet.  from 2000-2017 we drafted at least one and have a chance for more.

let's look at 1990-1999 and 2000-2009

1990-1999 w/o Woody:

we drafted the following PB players:

terance mathis(made it w/ Atl 1x)

Rob Moore 2x PB(1 w/ Jets, 1x AP(w/ Ari)

Mo Lewis 3x PB, 1x all pro

Aaron Glenn 3x PB(2 w/ Jets)

Jeff Blake 1x w/ Cincy

Craig Hentrich(never played a down for us), 2x PB, 1x AP

Richie Anderson 1x PB

Hugh Douglas 3x PB, 1x AP all w/ Philly

Keyshawn 3xPB(2 w/ us, 1 w/ TB)

James Farrior 2x PB, 1x AP all w/ Pitt

10 players that made at least PB, 5 made at least 1 1st team AP team

of those 10, 5 made PB w/ Jets and only 1 all pro season was w/ Jets.

In total they got 9 PB seasons, 1 AP season

2000-2009:

Shaun Ellis 2x PB

John Abraham 5x PB, 2x AP(3 PBs and 1 AP w/ us)

Laveranueus Coles 1x PB w/ Wash

Santana Moss 1x PB w/ Wash

Jonathan Goodwin 1x PB w/ NO

Jonathan Vilma 3x PB(1 w/ Jets)

Justin Miller 1x PB

Brick 3x PB

Mangold 7x PB, 2x AP

Leon Washington 2x PB(1 w/ us), 1x AP

Revis 7x PB(5 w/ us), 4x AP(3 w/ us)

11 players that made at least one PB, 4 AP

of those 11, 8 made PB w/ us, 4 made AP w/ us

In total they got 25 PBs, 7 All Pro seasons

by the way, we tended to draft higher in the 90s and we had many more picks.  1990-1999 we had 97 picks, 200-2009 we had 67 picks. 

so I guess we did draft better under Woody, huh?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, jets rooter said:

It is apparent that woody has little interest in the jets. The reality is that the jets must be sold to an interested party. That has ownership of other sports teams.I am sure that there are other suitors that would be interested in a new York franchise.

Never happening.  Buying the Jets is literally the only good business decision Woody has ever made on his own in his life and this franchise, even if they suck, is his big trophy.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

then don't complain  about pricing, you make your own decisions.  if the pricing bothered you that much you wouldn't go. 

would you prefer the tickets and everything to be cheap like under hess w/ no chance to win? or for the tickets to have gone up and have a chance to win like we have had under Woody?

Parcells quit b/c that's what he does, this was a man that was under contract and was to become the falcons HC after the Giants won the SB in '86, a man who was under contract and made a deal w/ the Jets, a man who jilted TB twice after agreeing.

BB left b/c of PARCELLS.

groh left b/c he saw the writing on the wall.

you are seriously blaming woody when Parcells and BB had already quit before he even won the bid?  come on, you are better than that.

Bingo !!!!

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

woody isn't scouting, he's trusting league people on his hires.  he had 2 SB winning Gms help in the search for Macc and Bowles and it still turned out bad.  I am not sure what he could do other than try to pry away a great HC or GM from another team w/ dirty tactics.

Which is why when we make our inevitable next hire at HC and possibly at GM as well we should be finally looking to go the experienced route. The Jets are always a training ground for people getting their first shot.

16 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

You can't blame Woody for that - that finger should be pointed at Sheldon Silver.

Woody gave up after the West Side initial failure.  Another owner might have been more tenacious in finding alternate locations.  But that's not our Woody.  He was fine with jumping right back into bed with the Maras.

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

Woody gave up after the West Side initial failure.  Another owner might have been more tenacious in finding alternate locations.  But that's not our Woody.  He was fine with jumping right back into bed with the Maras.

Dolan torpedoed the West Side stadium by bribing Sheldon Silver.  Tbh I think it would have been a waste of taxpayer money the problem is MetLife is so freaking ugly

Just now, munchmemory said:

Woody gave up after the West Side initial failure.  Another owner might have been more tenacious in finding alternate locations.  But that's not our Woody.  he was fine with jumping right back into bed with the Maras.

Sheldon Silver and the corrupt NY politicians were in bed with James Dolan who wanted no part of new competition in NYC. A marquee stadium in NYC would have devalued MSG - its quite plain and simple.

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Dolan torpedoed the West Side stadium by bribing Sheldon Silver.  Tbh I think it would have been a waste of taxpayer money the problem is MetLife is so freaking ugly

I agree , if you want to blame Woody its for not pursuing a brand new NJ stadium. But there's no way NJ would have allowed two brand new stadiums unless they were privately funded.

Metlife is a dump, the only thing nice about it is the scoreboards.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

This one always got me.  They drafted a punter and he never played for us.  That is crazy. 

Sort of like Tony Martin.  I didn't see him on your list, but I am pretty sure that he made the pro bowl at least once.  He and Mathis were a big part of that Atlanta team that we would have played in the super bowl if they didn't sh*t the bed in the 2nd half against Denver. Can you imagine drafting a college QB from a small school in the 5th round and not expecting him to take some time to develop?  I remember liking him in camp/preseason and then he was gone.  Off to star for the Dolphins and score 14 TDs in one season for the Chargers. 

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

the steelers w/ all their history aren't as valuable as the Jets.  from 1960-1999(40 seasons) the Jets made the playoffs 8 times and won 6 playoff games, from 2000-2016(17 seasons) the Jets have made it 6 times and won 6 PO games. 

So if we all strongly support the unmistakable positive direction that Johnson is leading the Jets on - we can have a Lombardi Trophy by 2032 - 35?

Who gives a white rat's rear end what the $$ value of the Steelers is vs. the Jets? It's just horrible circumstance for us that he owns a team in the market we're in as that's where the value comes from, certainly not from his excellent tutelage, foresight, business acumen, and core knowledge of the game of football. 

I'd be all about singing the praises of his gutsy move to dismantle the team and rebuild it if I had any faith in the all-star team he's assembled to do the rebuilding. 

Therein lies the problem - from the top down he doesn't have the right people to put together a winning organization. Methinks the bigger problem is he doesn't know how put together that organization.

And that's a problem.     

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Woody gets the blame for the people he hired not working out. You want the best coach, pay someone in the organization to put their name on it.

Casserly and company did 5 interviews and billed a ton of time for their "search". The results did not matter. They already got paid.

It is a corporate practice that has no application in the business world.

Here is what I would do. I would hire a head of football operations. EVERYONE in the organization would work for him. Neil Glat would report to him. Then I would give him his salary. Let's say it is 1.3 million dollars per year. I would have a 5x bonus on it. You tell him if you are still in this job and the Jets win the Super Bowl, you will get 6.5mm.

Then we know who to blame. But Woody is cheap and he doesn't want to pay football people. Which is why he always goes with rookie coaches. So this makes him a bad owner and HE gets the blame for the failures of the people under him.

Guess what, when a team wins the Super Bowl the owner gets to hold the Lombardi in the air. You get the credit for winning; you get the blame for losing. Rightfully so.

Furthermore any reasonable owner would only charge $118 for parking. $125 is clearly excessive.

All businesses should operate this way. No one should get an hourly salary ever. All commission or bonuses. 

Why if I finish a job in half the time and do not have to return to fix mistakes do I get paid half the money? 

Woody is far from cheap. He spent millions trying to get a stadium built on his own dime. He threw away a ton of money on regimes that he fired and paid to receive help this time.

He changed his whole way of finding a new regime this time and it didn't work again. At least he doesn't continue to do things the same way.  

Only 2 teams get to the SB every year. We got to 2 championships in a row. It takes some luck to get a good GM and HC.

No one is qualified until they learn on the job. Not many of those brilliant NFL GMs with experience running around looking for work. 

Next time he'll try something else. I will bet you that he spends more money on new people and finding those people than anyone else has. Hopefully it works out this time.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Seems that Sheldon Silver that crooked cork soaker has even bribed himself out of a 12 year sentence.

Creep had his corruption conviction overturned this past July and is now a free man despite all his documented crooked dealings.

I am willing to bet he has some inside info on Gov Cuomo and Cuomo worked his azz off to get his conviction overturned so Sheldon wouldnt flip on the Gov

who obviously has presidential aspirations.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

Sheldon Silver and the corrupt NY politicians were in bed with James Dolan who wanted no part of new competition in NYC. A marquee stadium in NYC would have devalued MSG - its quite plain and simple.

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

I agree , if you want to blame Woody its for not pursuing a brand new NJ stadium. But there's no way NJ would have allowed two brand new stadiums unless they were privately funded.

Metlife is a dump, the only thing nice about it is the scoreboards.

I understand the mechanics of why the West Side stadium failed.    If you re-read my post, my objection to Woody's abysmal "performance" is that he gave up after the West Side effort failed.  If we had a strong owner like Jones, Kraft or the Maras I'd bet my friggin' house that they would have built us our own stadium somewhere.   These folks are creative and tenacious.  Woody is a sap content with counting his money and watching our hapless team implode every few years.

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

Drafting the best guy ever in the 6th round has an element of luck to it.

Missing on so many guys in round 1 through 5, like the Jets have done consistently under Woody has an element of bad management to it.

Woody is below 500 as an owner.... the best anyone can say is he is below average. 

He meddles in the game, has hired the same type GM and HC 20 years running.

i am convinced we will never be an above average team while Woody is our owner. 

9 hours ago, nyjunc said:

every owner will make mistakes, from 2001-2011 we had the best stretch of Jets football in our history and he keeps trying to win.  doesn't always work out but he tries.  unfortunately we didn't get lucky and draft a Tom Brady in the 6th round.  that changed that entire organization and the career of that HC.

They had (and continue to have) a LOT of help from their best pal, named Cheating. 

This is a fact. Not opinion. Fact. 

Without cheating and without rules specifically tailored to hold their hand... They would be absolutely nothing and Brady would be long gone from the NFL and never even talked about. 

9 hours ago, nyjunc said:

as far as the draft goes.  from 1960-1999 we drafted ONE hall of fame player that played the majority of his career as a Jet.  from 2000-2017 we drafted at least one and have a chance for more.

let's look at 1990-1999 and 2000-2009

1990-1999 w/o Woody:

we drafted the following PB players:

terance mathis(made it w/ Atl 1x)

Rob Moore 2x PB(1 w/ Jets, 1x AP(w/ Ari)

Mo Lewis 3x PB, 1x all pro

Aaron Glenn 3x PB(2 w/ Jets)

Jeff Blake 1x w/ Cincy

Richie Anderson 1x PB

Hugh Douglas 3x PB, 1x AP all w/ Philly

Keyshawn 3xPB(2 w/ us, 1 w/ TB)

James Farrior 2x PB, 1x AP all w/ Pitt

10 players that made at least PB, 5 made at least 1 1st team AP team

of those 10, 5 made PB w/ Jets and only 1 all pro season was w/ Jets.

In total they got 9 PB seasons, 1 AP season

2000-2009:

Shaun Ellis 2x PB

John Abraham 5x PB, 2x AP(3 PBs and 1 AP w/ us)

Laveranueus Coles 1x PB w/ Wash

Santana Moss 1x PB w/ Wash

Jonathan Goodwin 1x PB w/ NO

Jonathan Vilma 3x PB(1 w/ Jets)

Justin Miller 1x PB

Brick 3x PB

Mangold 7x PB, 2x AP

Leon Washington 2x PB(1 w/ us), 1x AP

Revis 7x PB(5 w/ us), 4x AP(3 w/ us)

11 players that made at least one PB, 4 AP

of those 11, 8 made PB w/ us, 4 made AP w/ us

In total they got 25 PBs, 7 All Pro seasons

by the way, we tended to draft higher in the 90s and we had many more picks.  1990-1999 we had 97 picks, 200-2009 we had 67 picks. 

so I guess we did draft better under Woody, huh?

It doesn't matter. You can defend him but Woody knows he was overmatched.

He opted out. So he isn't running the team anymore. Nightmare over.

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

It doesn't matter. You can defend him but Woody knows he was overmatched.

He opted out. So he isn't running the team anymore. Nightmare over.

We hope... 

Might simply be nightmare continuing at the hands of another Johnson... lol 

At least throw in some baby powder for that wicked arse rash you're giving the "fanbase" sirs. 

17 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

This one always got me.  They drafted a punter and he never played for us.  That is crazy. 

Sort of like Tony Martin.  I didn't see him on your list, but I am pretty sure that he made the pro bowl at least once.  He and Mathis were a big part of that Atlanta team that we would have played in the super bowl if they didn't sh*t the bed in the 2nd half against Denver. Can you imagine drafting a college QB from a small school in the 5th round and not expecting him to take some time to develop?  I remember liking him in camp/preseason and then he was gone.  Off to star for the Dolphins and score 14 TDs in one season for the Chargers. 

That list was the lst 10 years pre woody and first 10 w/ Woody.  Martin was drafted in the 80s I believe.

17 hours ago, NJ said:

So if we all strongly support the unmistakable positive direction that Johnson is leading the Jets on - we can have a Lombardi Trophy by 2032 - 35?

Who gives a white rat's rear end what the $$ value of the Steelers is vs. the Jets? It's just horrible circumstance for us that he owns a team in the market we're in as that's where the value comes from, certainly not from his excellent tutelage, foresight, business acumen, and core knowledge of the game of football. 

I'd be all about singing the praises of his gutsy move to dismantle the team and rebuild it if I had any faith in the all-star team he's assembled to do the rebuilding. 

Therein lies the problem - from the top down he doesn't have the right people to put together a winning organization. Methinks the bigger problem is he doesn't know how put together that organization.

And that's a problem.     

no one is forced to like or dislike anything Woody does, we are all entitled to have our own opinions.

I was answering a post, I'd rather have SBs than a valuable franchise but I'm not an owner profiting off the team.

I am not singing his praises just being realistic w/ him. we have been much better 2000-current than we were 1960-1999.

10 hours ago, Hitman Harris said:

They had (and continue to have) a LOT of help from their best pal, named Cheating. 

This is a fact. Not opinion. Fact. 

Without cheating and without rules specifically tailored to hold their hand... They would be absolutely nothing and Brady would be long gone from the NFL and never even talked about. 

we can make all the excuses we ant and pretend other teams haven't tried to bend rules, we can also toss out our best seasons since 1968 as BB was our DC, right?  Isn't it amazing though how cheating Bill was a terrible HC in Cleveland and was terrible his first 18 games w/ NE then magically he became a great HC as soon as Brady became the starter? I guess he must have started cheating week 3 of 2001?

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 8:29 AM, nyjunc said:

Maybe Leon Hess' corpse can buy the team back and Jet fans can realize how good we have had it w/ Woody.

Hehe...a lot of folks here seem to have forgotten the period between 1971 and Woody taking over.  When folks start chanting "Bowles Must Go" and it is heard on national TV then they will know.  Also, Woody buys the team for what?  Like $600+MM.  It is now worth $2.65B.  Yeah, he is an absolute idiot...lol

31 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

That list was the lst 10 years pre woody and first 10 w/ Woody.  Martin was drafted in the 80s I believe.

no one is forced to like or dislike anything Woody does, we are all entitled to have our own opinions.

I was answering a post, I'd rather have SBs than a valuable franchise but I'm not an owner profiting off the team.

I am not singing his praises just being realistic w/ him. we have been much better 2000-current than we were 1960-1999.

Yeah. 1989.  The year before Rembert, Mathis and Dale Dawkins

27 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

President Trump orders congress to seize the Jets via eminent domain and they get auctioned off to someone with a brain cell

Trump owned the Generals when they went under.  They had Sipe, Hull and Herschel, and had merged with the run n shoot Gamblers and were adding Kelly and Ricky Sanders.  That team would have been no joke. 

22 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

Hehe...a lot of folks here seem to have forgotten the period between 1971 and Woody taking over.  When folks start chanting "Bowles Must Go" and it is heard on national TV then they will know.  Also, Woody buys the team for what?  Like $600+MM.  It is now worth $2.65B.  Yeah, he is an absolute idiot...lol

What do you have against 1972?  They were better than 1970 or 1971.  Riggins was full Diesel, Boozer wasn't electric after the knee, but still a quality back, Maynard's last year, Barkum, Little Eddie Bell and Caster.  Namath was a monster when healthy.  It was a nice team, plus my first game - Oct 22nd.  Namath was 5-16 for 228. He "spread" the ball around to 4 different receivers!

14 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

I said it before buying the jets was the only smart business decision Woody ever made on his own in his life.  

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

What do you have against 1972?  They were better than 1970 or 1971.  Riggins was full Diesel, Boozer wasn't electric after the knee, but still a quality back, Maynard's last year, Barkum, Little Eddie Bell and Caster.  Namath was a monster when healthy.  It was a nice team, plus my first game - Oct 22nd.  Namath was 5-16 for 228. He "spread" the ball around to 4 different receivers!

You are right.  I stand corrected on that point.  :)

20 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yeah. 1989.  The year before Rembert, Mathis and Dale Dawkins

Trump owned the Generals when they went under.  They had Sipe, Hull and Herschel, and had merged with the run n shoot Gamblers and were adding Kelly and Ricky Sanders.  That team would have been no joke. 

actually Rembert and those guys were in 1990. I included Mathis who made a PB for Atlanta.

Archived