If the Jets **** up the tank and miss out on a FQB....are you done with them?

Lil Woody

If the Jets fuck this all up - will it affect your level of interest in the team?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. If the Jets fuck this all up - will it affect your level of interest in the team?

• No way - Bleed Green till I die....
    • No, but I will be less invested going forward, I'll be more casual as a JETS fan.
    • I don't care either way.
    • Yes. I will consciously choose to stop going to Jets games, posting, buying merch, etc...
    • F*CK it...I'm out. College is a better game anyway.

I heard 2 guys yesterday saying that if the Jets find a way to **** up the chase for a FQB, that it will be the final straw that breaks their back.  I had to think about it myself and it would be a devastating blow to my fandom as well. It's exhausting rooting for this sh*t show and they once again have an opportunity to get the one thing that can save them and the general concern is that they will find a way to **** this all up, probably in the most Jet like fashion imaginable.So time for a poll.

Just now, FTL Jet Fan said:

Definitely would be a kick in the nuts, but this has been my team for 40 years. I am in for the long haul.

I used to be that way about the Knicks.  I turned away from them in 97, haven't looked back since.  Best move I made as a sports fan. 

I don't think I can ever stop being a Jets fan, but if they **** this up....I'm a college first guy.  NFL will be something I watch if it's on, but I won't be all in anymore.  And yes that has as much to do with the NFL landscape as much as it does with this pos owner and his dysfunctional team.

I dont for one second believe in this "tank" b/s

The owner, GM or HC has not given me one shred of evidence that they wrap their minds around the concept of a "tank" let alone successfully pulling one off.

I do however think they are thrilled so many fans are sucked into believing this as it is giving them cover for a putrid season.

If they do wind up with a top 3 pick as a Jets fan history tells me they will find the Jetsiest of ways to screw this up by either picking against conventional wisdom or if they do go with the consensus pick it will still be the wrong one.

I have grown a thick skin from the years of disappointment and however it unfolds I remain a fan.

18 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

, but if they **** this up...

What exactly do you mean by screwing it up?  Do you mean if the players try too hard?  Damn them!!  Can't they take an example from Mo?

Or do you mean the GM screwed up if he drafted players that actually have some talent?  Gosh, I really hope that Adams is a total bust!!

Do you think Bowles is doing everything in his power to go 0-16?

OK - that last one is true...  But he's not doing it on purpose!

5 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

I dont for one second believe in this "tank" b/s

The owner, GM or HC has not given me one shred of evidence that they wrap their minds around the concept of a "tank" let alone successfully pulling one off.

I do however think they are thrilled so many fans are sucked into believing this as it is giving them cover for a putrid season.

If they do wind up with a top 3 pick as a Jets fan history tells me they will find the Jetsiest of ways to screw this up by either picking against conventional wisdom or if they do go with the consensus pick it will still be the wrong one.

I have grown a thick skin from the years of disappointment and however it unfolds I remain a fan.

Question, what history .

In 2015, the Jets drafted the BPA on just abut every draft board  with their 1st round pick .

In 2016, the Jets drafted a highly ranked player at a position of need with their   1st round pick

In 2017, the Jets drafted a player some draft experts considered the top talent in the draft  with their 1st round pick .

Exactly what history does this regime has that says they will screw up their 1st round pick ?

18 minutes ago, thshadow said:

What exactly do you mean by screwing it up?  Do you mean if the players try too hard?  Damn them!!  Can't they take an example from Mo?

Or do you mean the GM screwed up if he drafted players that actually have some talent?  Gosh, I really hope that Adams is a total bust!!

Do you think Bowles is doing everything in his power to go 0-16?

OK - that last one is true...  But he's not doing it on purpose!

I love the feigned outrage at the thought of the tank. 

Look, I don't give a sh*t about the players that play for the NFL.  They are generally the most entitled, coddled, arrogant, ignorant people on the planet.   Teams see them as moving parts in the machine and I'm on board with that.  Only a select few players in the NFL are truly indispensable and they become the face of your franchise when you get them.  Most teams don't have anyone good enough to put on that mantle.  I don't care about the coaches jobs.  The ONLY thing I care about is the team.  So if that isn't the way you want to watch the NFL's brand of sports entertainment, fine.  But I am invested in the franchise first and if we get any players worth rooting for, like a Mangold or Harris or Pennington or Martin or Chrebet....great love those Ring of Honor types.  But they come second.  I only care about what is good for the franchise.  I don't care if every player on the team gets washed out because of the stain of the 0-16.  What is important....truly important....to the success of this team moving forward is that this franchise capitalizes on the opportunity to get a FQB and doesn't miss out again for the sake of pride for a bunch of below average talents. 

Get that offensive centerpiece at QB, because the league ahs boiled down EVERYTHING to that position. Then worry about the wake of the 0-16 season.  Then spend all the 90M or whatever you have on bringing in the right kinds of players, coaches, GMs or whatever the hell else you want.

But if they fail to capitalize AGAIN on the best opportunity to secure a FQB since Andrew Luck.  **** em.  Then they are every bit as short signted and inept as everyone says.  They deserve every butt fumble joke and media mockery that comes their way.  I'm done with blind loyalty to total incompetence. This is potentially a rare draft class that can set up a team for success for the next 15 years.  Of course once you get the QB, you have to develop him, protect him, give him talent to work with etc... But you have to get one first.  And since this pathetic franchise hasn't shown the potential to do anything well, getting the #1 pick is the only priority right now. 

I doubt I'll ever totally bail on the team, but I sure as sh*t won't bother following them so closely if the best I can hope for for the next 5 years is Alex Smith shaking loose and more time of possession battles with last year's hottest defensive coordinator trying to cut his teeth as a HC while we stay mediocre year after year. .

18 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Question, what history .

In 2015, the Jets drafted the BPA on just abut every draft board  with their 1st round pick .

In 2016, the Jets drafted a highly ranked player at a position of need with their   1st round pick

In 2017, the Jets drafted a player some draft experts considered the top talent in the draft  with their 1st round pick .

Exactly what history does this regime has that says they will screw up their 1st round pick ?

(when it was widely acknowledged it was the only position of strength on the team and the pick could have been packaged in a trade up for a QB)

(a player who most experts will agree is very undersized for the MLB position and is currently getting steamrolled on every other play)

(this guy will have to be the next Reed or Polumalu to make his draft position worthwhile PLUS if he is so lights out why pick another safety in the next round?)

Again, all this taking place while the starting QBs were 2nd or 3rd string players at best.

No I won't be done with them. But I won't hope for anything positive for a long long time. If we can't get a franchise quarterback with this roster, then there is no hope, because even if all these young guys develop well, we'd still be looking for a quarterback, with an average at best record.  

It will truly be a demoralizing blow if the Jets find a way to inexcusably take themselves out of position to draft a franchise QB in 2018.

Pushing hard against the history of the Jets being the Jets and all of he poor luck and bad decision making, all the planets have seemed to be  aligned for them this year:

1 - two or three franchise QB's will likely available in the 2108 draft

2 - a clueless and terrible coach who can pull defeat from the jaws of victory with the best of them

3  a team with massive holes on both sides of the ball (either by choice if you buy into the tanking theory or simply because of a terrible GM) who will be hard pressed to win more than a few games, if any

4 - a brutal 2nd half schedule that could very easily produce a 7 game losing streak to end the season

Sadly, this is the most confident Ive felt as a Jets fan in a long time.  I'm confident that they will bumble their way to a top 2 pick in the draft. 

4 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

(when it was widely acknowledged it was the only position of strength on the team and the pick could have been packaged in a trade up for a QB)

(a player who most experts will agree is very undersized for the MLB position and is currently getting steamrolled on every other play)

(this guy will have to be the next Reed or Polumalu to make his draft position worthwhile PLUS if he is so lights out why pick another safety in the next round?)

Again, all this taking place while the starting QBs were 2nd or 3rd string players at best.

Spin it how ever you wish, but the point is, the Jets used their 1st round pick on the BPA and in all cases, the highest ranked  player available . In 2 f those cases it was at a position of need . Since we're projecting based on history, it would be safe to say that if the Jets ended up with either the 1st or 2nd pick, the chances of them taking the highest rated player at a position of need is a certainty. Furthermore, since the highest position of need is QB and the top 2 highest players are QBs, the chances are the Jets will end up with one of the 2 .

1 hour ago, Lil Woody said:

I heard 2 guys yesterday saying that if the Jets find a way to **** up the chase for a FQB, that it will be the final straw that breaks their back.  I had to think about it myself and it would be a devastating blow to my fandom as well. It's exhausting rooting for this sh*t show and they once again have an opportunity to get the one thing that can save them and the general concern is that they will find a way to **** this all up, probably in the most Jet like fashion imaginable.So time for a poll.

I hope they win as many games as possible. I don't care about draft position. And if they end up out of the sweepstakes for the top 3, I hope they get lucky and draft a QB later that ends up being the best of the bunch, eg L Miller. Plus I would love it if Bowles turns this around and see the chaos on this board. 

It has been a gradual process, but I care less and less about the NFL... and the Jets.

If they f*ck up this opportunity by winning a couple of extra useless games and miss out on a blue-chip QB... or pick the wrong guy...

Yeah... I am most likely done.

Not worth it.

21 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

I used to be that way about the Knicks.  I turned away from them in 97, haven't looked back since.  Best move I made as a sports fan. 

I don't think I can ever stop being a Jets fan, but if they **** this up....I'm a college first guy.  NFL will be something I watch if it's on, but I won't be all in anymore.  And yes that has as much to do with the NFL landscape as much as it does with this pos owner and his dysfunctional team.

I can understand turning your back on them once Ewing was gone and Layden / Isiah were given free reign to run amok (as I did and just like you, best fan move I made), but why 1997? Just curious as they were still good then, still had that classic core, and had a Finals run just 2 seasons later.

Not sure about that. NFL has been steadily losing viewers over the past few years. They have really turned off their core demographic on many fronts. Some people are just looking for a reason. This would be a pretty good reason for a fairly significant number of fans I think.

3 minutes ago, glenn31 said:

I can understand turning your back on them once Ewing was gone and Layden / Isiah were given free reign to run amok (as I did and just like you, best fan move I made), but why 1997? Just curious as they were still good then, still had that classic core, and had a Finals run just 2 seasons later.

Ewing was the nail in the coffin for me.  What year was that?  Thought it was 97.  Or that was the Sprewell trade?  That was another move that told me they had no clue what they were doing and lacked any long term intelligence on how to run a successful team. 

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If someone bails on the Jets because they don't find a franchise QB this year, then they haven't really been a true Jets fan all these years. There have been so many awful moments as Jets fans this would just be another in a long line of bad moments. 

What is a "true Jets fan"?  A willing sucker who gladly hands over 20k just to secure for the right to be disappointed every week for 500 bucks?  A person who watches an organization make the worst possible moves year over year and still decides to believe that everything is going to work out?  "True Jets Fan" lol.  If you REALLY love this team and want to see them do well, you would then sacrifice your enjoyment of watching them and boycott the franchise until the biggest reason they are a failure sells the team.  That would be the TRUEest act of love for your team.

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If someone bails on the Jets because they don't find a franchise QB this year, then they haven't really been a true Jets fan all these years. There have been so many awful moments as Jets fans this would just be another in a long line of bad moments. 

Exactly, you know how numb my nuts are from all the swift kicks this team has landed on me/ us over the years? Way too many to count.

Watching Jet football for me now is like Megatron watching Starscream's coronation: BAD COMEDY.

starscream-gets-it-o.gif

Just now, Lil Woody said:

What is a "true Jets fan"?  A willing sucker who gladly hands over 20k just to secure for the right to be disappointed every week for 500 bucks?  A person who watches an organization make the worst possible moves year over year and still decides to believe that everything is going to work out?  "True Jets Fan" lol.  If you REALLY love this team and want to see them do well, you would then sacrifice your enjoyment of watching them and boycott the franchise until the biggest reason they are a failure sells the team.  That would be the TRUEest act of love for your team.

Who said I was one of the suckers that forked over all that money for crappy PSLs? You can be a die hard Jets fan from your home. 

As for boycotting the team, yeah, that's a pretty stupid idea and not really what you started this thread about and not what I was responding to. Your posts are all over the map. Maybe you should calm down a little and come back when you are feeling a little better. 

20 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Spin it how ever you wish, but the point is, the Jets used their 1st round pick on the BPA and in all cases, the highest ranked  player available . In 2 f those cases it was at a position of need . Since we're projecting based on history, it would be safe to say that if the Jets ended up with either the 1st or 2nd pick, the chances of them taking the highest rated player at a position of need is a certainty. Furthermore, since the highest position of need is QB and the top 2 highest players are QBs, the chances are the Jets will end up with one of the 2 .

I readily admit having the luxury of hindsight looking backwards at these drafts. However evidence based objective points of view are not spin. Spin is used to support an agenda and I dont have one.

Archived