Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lil Woody

If the Jets **** up the tank and miss out on a FQB....are you done with them?

If the Jets fuck this all up - will it affect your level of interest in the team?  

49 members have voted

  1. 1. If the Jets fuck this all up - will it affect your level of interest in the team?

    • No way - Bleed Green till I die....
      21
    • No, but I will be less invested going forward, I'll be more casual as a JETS fan.
      19
    • I don't care either way.
      2
    • Yes. I will consciously choose to stop going to Jets games, posting, buying merch, etc...
      6
    • F*CK it...I'm out. College is a better game anyway.
      1


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, glenn31 said:

I can understand turning your back on them once Ewing was gone and Layden / Isiah were given free reign to run amok (as I did and just like you, best fan move I made), but why 1997? Just curious as they were still good then, still had that classic core, and had a Finals run just 2 seasons later.

Ewing was the nail in the coffin for me.  What year was that?  Thought it was 97.  Or that was the Sprewell trade?  That was another move that told me they had no clue what they were doing and lacked any long term intelligence on how to run a successful team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If someone bails on the Jets because they don't find a franchise QB this year, then they haven't really been a true Jets fan all these years. There have been so many awful moments as Jets fans this would just be another in a long line of bad moments. 

What is a "true Jets fan"?  A willing sucker who gladly hands over 20k just to secure for the right to be disappointed every week for 500 bucks?  A person who watches an organization make the worst possible moves year over year and still decides to believe that everything is going to work out?  "True Jets Fan" lol.  If you REALLY love this team and want to see them do well, you would then sacrifice your enjoyment of watching them and boycott the franchise until the biggest reason they are a failure sells the team.  That would be the TRUEest act of love for your team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If someone bails on the Jets because they don't find a franchise QB this year, then they haven't really been a true Jets fan all these years. There have been so many awful moments as Jets fans this would just be another in a long line of bad moments. 

Exactly, you know how numb my nuts are from all the swift kicks this team has landed on me/ us over the years? Way too many to count.

Watching Jet football for me now is like Megatron watching Starscream's coronation: BAD COMEDY.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

starscream-gets-it-o.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lil Woody said:

What is a "true Jets fan"?  A willing sucker who gladly hands over 20k just to secure for the right to be disappointed every week for 500 bucks?  A person who watches an organization make the worst possible moves year over year and still decides to believe that everything is going to work out?  "True Jets Fan" lol.  If you REALLY love this team and want to see them do well, you would then sacrifice your enjoyment of watching them and boycott the franchise until the biggest reason they are a failure sells the team.  That would be the TRUEest act of love for your team.

Who said I was one of the suckers that forked over all that money for crappy PSLs? You can be a die hard Jets fan from your home. 

As for boycotting the team, yeah, that's a pretty stupid idea and not really what you started this thread about and not what I was responding to. Your posts are all over the map. Maybe you should calm down a little and come back when you are feeling a little better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Spin it how ever you wish, but the point is, the Jets used their 1st round pick on the BPA and in all cases, the highest ranked  player available . In 2 f those cases it was at a position of need . Since we're projecting based on history, it would be safe to say that if the Jets ended up with either the 1st or 2nd pick, the chances of them taking the highest rated player at a position of need is a certainty. Furthermore, since the highest position of need is QB and the top 2 highest players are QBs, the chances are the Jets will end up with one of the 2 .

I readily admit having the luxury of hindsight looking backwards at these drafts. However evidence based objective points of view are not spin. Spin is used to support an agenda and I dont have one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lil Woody said:

Ewing was the nail in the coffin for me.  What year was that?  Thought it was 97.  Or that was the Sprewell trade?  That was another move that told me they had no clue what they were doing and lacked any long term intelligence on how to run a successful team. 

Ewing was traded in 2000. As for the Sprewell trade, I'm not understanding why that turned you off. He was a very talented player and we gave up Starks, Chris Mills, and Terry Cummings to get him. The 99 run to the Finals was pretty much on the back of Sprewell.

Was it the choking of his HC that turned you off? I heard from quite a few sources that one coach that deserved to get choked out was PJ Carlisemo.

And sorry for this quick thread derailing, it's just you're the first Knick fan I ever heard that gave up on the team prior to the 2000s. A bit intriguing if you ask me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Who said I was one of the suckers that forked over all that money for crappy PSLs? You can be a die hard Jets fan from your home. 

As for boycotting the team, yeah, that's a pretty stupid idea and not really what you started this thread about and not what I was responding to. Your posts are all over the map. Maybe you should calm down a little and come back when you are feeling a little better. 

The point is that defining what a true jets fan is is a pointless act.  Your definition (any definition) of a true fan means nothing.  People root however they want.  If you think letting this team kick you in the nuts each week is the mark of a true fan....good for you. I don't think a "true fan" should accept that. 

Also, I don't really give a sh*t if you dislike my ideas or find them stupid. Threads get started and then conversations happen, it doesn't always go in a linear path. So maybe I'm all over the map, or maybe you are having trouble following the divergent paths the thread is taking.  Either way, fine.  But if you think being a snarky little prick about it is the best use of your time....please feel free to respond and I promise not to reply so that you can have the last word on the matter. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing that could make me "give up" on the team would be landing the first overall pick and drafting a defensive player. That might literally make me lose my mind.

If they win too many games and don't get the "top guy" that's disappointing but forgivable. I'm not all that worried though, TBH. I think the absolute ceiling for this team is 3 wins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, glenn31 said:

Ewing was traded in 2000. As for the Sprewell trade, I'm not understanding why that turned you off. He was a very talented player and we gave up Starks, Chris Mills, and Terry Cummings to get him. The 99 run to the Finals was pretty much on the back of Sprewell.

Was it the choking of his HC that turned you off? I heard from quite a few sources that one coach that deserved to get choked out was PJ Carlisemo.

And sorry for this quick thread derailing, it's just you're the first Knick fan I ever heard that gave up on the team prior to the 2000s. A bit intriguing if you ask me. 

LOL. No worries, it was a long time agi, so I'm not sure of the dates, but yeah. I hated the Sprewell trade. I saw a high maintenance player brought in just to score points at the expense of team building. Whoever was the engineer of that just was looking to make a splash and put zero thought into how it would effect team chemistry.  Right or wrong, I thought we had the makings of a decent team with Starks, Houston, LJ, Camby, Ewing? (iirc)...but it seemed like they didn't want to put in the work and were afraid that having a couple aging players would leave them bare so they panicked and went for what seemed like the beginning of the "quick fix" era that imo crippled the team and took the focus away from trying to get talent through the draft and/or trading for young players with upside to develop. I may have some dates wrong with respect to the team I mentioned, but you know the time period I'm referring to. It had the stench of desperation and the leadership and strategy/direction under Dolan at the time was pathetic. Turned out to be a very good barometer of their future success. 

Now I'm seeing a lot of the same parallels under Woody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

The point is that defining what a true jets fan is is a pointless act.  Your definition (any definition) of a true fan means nothing.  People root however they want.  If you think letting this team kick you in the nuts each week is the mark of a true fan....good for you. I don't think a "true fan" should accept that. 

Also, I don't really give a sh*t if you dislike my ideas or find them stupid. Threads get started and then conversations happen, it doesn't always go in a linear path. So maybe I'm all over the map, or maybe you are having trouble following the divergent paths the thread is taking.  Either way, fine.  But if you think being a snarky little prick about it is the best use of your time....please feel free to respond and I promise not to reply so that you can have the last word on the matter. 

 

Being a true Jets fan (or fan of any team), means being a Jets fan through good and bad. I'm not a bandwagon jumper or else I would have bailed on this team the other 200 times its severely disappointed me. You on the other hand appear to be looking for an out to root for another team. That's fine, it's just not something a "true" Jets fan would do. 

In the last 10 years the Jets have made 2 AFC Championship games and given their fans plenty of joy. In the late 80's and 90s this team went 11 years without breaking 10 wins, but after a couple bad years your wondering if some of us will decide that THIS is the straw that broke the camels back? Maybe you are a kid and haven't been a fan through all those awful years, but some of us have suffered through far worse than Idzik/Bowles.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've already given up on this team. But it will take my disdain one circle of hell below if they don't take a QB R1 this year. If it's #1 or #5...yeah I'll be pissed if it's not the top pick or guy I want BUT as long as they take one of them illl have 3 years of hoping and maybes at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lil Woody said:

LOL. No worries, it was a long time agi, so I'm not sure of the dates, but yeah. I hated the Sprewell trade. I saw a high maintenance player brought in just to score points at the expense of team building. Whoever was the engineer of that just was looking to make a splash and put zero thought into how it would effect team chemistry.  Right or wrong, I thought we had the makings of a decent team with Starks, Houston, LJ, Camby, Ewing? (iirc)...but it seemed like they didn't want to put in the work and were afraid that having a couple aging players would leave them bare so they panicked and went for what seemed like the beginning of the "quick fix" era that imo crippled the team and took the focus away from trying to get talent through the draft and/or trading for young players with upside to develop. I may have some dates wrong with respect to the team I mentioned, but you know the time period I'm referring to. It had the stench of desperation and the leadership and strategy/direction under Dolan at the time was pathetic. Turned out to be a very good barometer of their future success. 

Now I'm seeing a lot of the same parallels under Woody.

ehh3.png

Nice explanation. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lil Woody said:

I used to be that way about the Knicks.  I turned away from them in 97, haven't looked back since.  Best move I made as a sports fan. 

I don't think I can ever stop being a Jets fan, but if they **** this up....I'm a college first guy.  NFL will be something I watch if it's on, but I won't be all in anymore.  And yes that has as much to do with the NFL landscape as much as it does with this pos owner and his dysfunctional team.

Couldn't agree more about where the NFL is headed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, thshadow said:

What exactly do you mean by screwing it up?  Do you mean if the players try too hard?  Damn them!!  Can't they take an example from Mo?

Or do you mean the GM screwed up if he drafted players that actually have some talent?  Gosh, I really hope that Adams is a total bust!!

Do you think Bowles is doing everything in his power to go 0-16?

OK - that last one is true...  But he's not doing it on purpose!

Screwing it up by trying to be clever and smarter than everyone else (and..they never are) by picking O'Brien over Marino, Brady over Sapp, or trading the #1 overall again for Farrior instead of Orlando Pace again. 

 

You know, when the world has Darnold as the best player in the draft, but they go with Josh Allen for some nonsensical reason, or take a 1st a third amd a sixth to drop back to the #6 pick to get that "special leader and possible bestest overall pick" Middle Linebacker or some sh*t.

 

You know, Jets stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be tremendously disappointed if we end up with the 1st pick and don't go QB. I will, however, continue to cheer for this stupid team. No matter how many years they take off the end of my life.

I'm an idiot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only way I could be reeled in is if they f*cked it up, but managed to land Jimmy Garoppolo and that's only because of my selfish feelings about him.  I absolutely loved him draft prospect.  

If the Jets f*ck this up, and I totally believe they will thanks to Todd Bowles's decision to constantly trot out McCown over the young kids (wins I could actually tolerate) and the fact that someone upstairs loves watching me suffer, I'll just treat them like I currently treat the Knicks.  If they're on and I'm at home doing nothing, I'll throw em on for background noise.  If I have the opportunity to make cash by picking up a Sunday shift I'll take it.  If I get invited to go out and do something, I'll no longer find an excuse to watch the game.  I'll go out and actually enjoy my Sunday's.  I'll probably stick around here to keep up on what's going on because I love the community so much.

If I have to watch Bubba Gump Bowles's stupid f*cking face celebrate the fact that McCown threw a last second TD against the Browns/Bills/Jags to give us a win and knock us below them though, ala Rex Ryan vs Tennessee and Miami in his last season, that would be it for me.  I'd stop caring like I do now almost instantly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lil Woody said:

I love the feigned outrage at the thought of the tank. 

...

But if they fail to capitalize AGAIN on the best opportunity to secure a FQB since Andrew Luck.  **** em.  Then they are every bit as short signted and inept as everyone says.  They deserve every butt fumble joke and media mockery that comes their way. 

FTR, even though it's very hard for me to root against them on a given Sunday - I hope they go 0-16.

What my question is - who is the "they" that you're talking about?  Who do you think will have screwed up if they win a few games?  You can't really blame Mac - I don't think it'd be possible to put together a worse team...  :-)

And I guarantee you the players and coaches are trying to win every game possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm half out as it is.    Even when we had Herm, and went 4-12, I watched every game.

This year, why bother?   I'll just be pissed off.   I'd rather play with the kids or grill some good food.  They are years from being decent, Mc has been here for 3 drafts, and there is no improvement in overall quality of the talent on the roster.   Unless you get a real coach or GM, I don't see it turning around. 

The NFL isn't as good as it was.   Every game, bogus pass interference or crap roughing the QB calls, that really influence the game.  I'm sure I sound like grouchy old guy, but it's not as much fun to watch as it was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will never stop watching them nor will I ever stop rooting for them. I am a Jet Fan. There I said it. I say that like a guy at AA or NA. The first step to recovery is to admit you have a problem they say. Well will there ever be a JA? Who knows? I have been watching these guys for 40+ seasons and while I remember that last Super Bowl win I want at least one more before I shuffle off this mortal coil. Will I get it? Will I ever see a season where all the breaks go their way and they put together a run that shakes off the laughing stock of the league label? These are the reasons I stay a Jet Fan and will continue to stay one because I need to see if these things come to pass. One thing my Grandfather told me on a dark day at Shea one year was that "Namath must have sold his soul to the devil to win Super Bowl 3. Its the only thing that can explain this level of hell a Jet Fan lives in and the Jets won't win until the devil get his due". I never really believed him and always thought it was bullspit. Now I don't know. How can you explain all these years of pain and utter incompetence? Nah I don't believe it or do I?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And a bigger problem is that outside a couple of guys on other teams (JJ Watt and.....drawing a blank...) there arent a lot of guys left in the NFL that I give a crap about rooting for. 

 

I loved Chrebet. Testaverde. Mo Lewis and Marvin Jones. Loved Victor Green. Vinny. I liked Mangold a lot. Ferguson seemed like a squared away guy. Loved Kris Jenkins for the 10 minutes he was healthy. 

 

Favre was a douche but fun to watch. Loved Deion Sanders (FSU!). John Randle was a crazy man but a great guy. Strahan was a Giant but a good dude. Shoot, Charles Tillman is off to join the FBI.

 

Nowadays? I despise 99% of NFL players. Entitled douchebags. So many guys who punch women.

 

Scumbags who disrespect the country I swore to protect and being glorified for it.

I cant think of a single current Jet I could give two sh*ts about. Leonard Williams I guess is the closest, just because of when he grabbed Darron Lee and kept HIM from trying to get in a fight at a damn carnival or something. LOL. Im done buying jerseys.

The league is overexposed. The game itself kind of sucks for all of the reasons we've covered on this board for the last few years. Patriots fatigue has been a factor for years now.

 

And we "root" for a team that is a laughingstock of the league. NOBODY CARES about those AFC Championship appearances. The Jets to the rest of the country, national media, and other fanbases are nothing more than Draft Blunders, stupid obnoxious fans, BUTTFUMBLE, ******* up the search for a QB for decades, Namath drunk on the field,  the Geno Punch, and on and on. SB3 was a million years ago. Its ancient history that nobody cares about anymore aside from the old guy Jets fans that watched that game. I dont care anymore, its just another embarrassment that the Jets shining moment was 50 years ago and some fans still talk about it like it matters.

 

Its a poorly managed organization that in a true free market system would have been sgut down years ago. They keep making the same blunders over and over, regardless of decade or "leadership". 

 

What has this team done to EARN my loyalty? Seriously? If it takes the fan base turning its back on the team to fix it, then count me in. I dont even get frustrated or annoyed when they lose anymore, because I dont care enough any longer. As I said in other threads, Ive already told both of my sons (8 & 5) to NOT root for the Jets because its a pointless, joyless, fruitless endeavor.

 

And to be honest, I have yet to watch a minute of NFL Football this season. Thats UNHEARD OF for me. So for me, after 43 years of being a "Jet Fan" (I'm 46), if they sh*t the bed this upcoming offseason, walking wont be too hard.

 

And dont bother with the "well, bye" or the "you're not a real fan" garbage. Ive spent Thousands of dollars buying merchandise, flying to games, buying tickets. I have owned probably over 15 jerseys over the years. I have ruined family getaways because I "had to go watch the Jets game. I have shed actual tears at losses, I have screamed and yelled at the TV, have gotten into fist fights while watching Jets away games at hostile stadiums because I ALWAYS wore a jersey to games.  And on and on....and what has it gotten me? 

 

LOL. The Buttfumble. Geno. Mockery from everyone from David Letterman to the local yokel Dolphins when I watch a game at the local Sports Bar. Todd Bowles standing and staring at his defense getting run all over with his head cocked like the goddamned RCA dog condused about where the music is coming from.

 

So yeah. If the only way this sh*tshow of a mess can even start to be addressed is if we as a fanbase walk the **** away, then count me in. At this point, I wont miss them a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×