Jimmy Garoppollo

Adoni Beast

One of the Jetsiest aspects of our franchise has been our unfortunate ability to win one too many games in our down seasons to draft our franchise quarterback and have a proper rebuild (Ryan, Winston, Mariota) bad luck (Peyton, just missing out on Favre) or just ignoring our scouts and common sense when we are in position to draft one (Marino, Brady, Wilson, Carr). 

Our history has me on edge regarding the tank. We're bad, real bad...but so are a handful of other teams. If we end up out of position to draft Darnold or Rosen I think we need to go all in on Garoppollo in free agency.

Myself and many others were begging the Jets to draft him. I thought he had franchise potential then, the little work he's had since then has only enhanced my opinion.

Before people start throwing the Cassel, Hoyer, and Mallet comparisons...keep in mind that Belicheck could have traded him this past year for a 1st and more. Reports said even two 1sts wouldn't get it done. Belicheck knows if Brady goes down, he can still win a super bowl this year with Garoppollo, or if Brady really falls off a cliff...he'll re-sign Garoppollo as his new franchise qb.

Either way, the kids got the goods and it looks like Brady won't be going anywhere anytime soon. If we mess up the Darnold/Rosen sweepstakes, this guy won't be a consulation prize. He'd be worth every penny, and someone we can build around.

Whether he'd want to sign here or not...another story. But, out of Cleveland, Jax, SF, Buffalo, and us as the most QB needy teams you'd have to say Darnold and Rosen will be drafted by 2 of them, Cousins will sign with one, taking 3 teams off the list. We'd probably be one of two or three teams who'd be willing to pay big money to Garoppollo. 

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

One of the Jetsiest aspects of our franchise has been our unfortunate ability to win one too many games in our down seasons to draft our franchise quarterback and have a proper rebuild (Ryan, Winston, Mariota) bad luck (Peyton, just missing out on Favre) or just ignoring our scouts and common sense when we are in position to draft one (Marino, Brady, Wilson, Carr). 

Our history has me on edge regarding the tank. We're bad, real bad...but so are a handful of other teams. If we end up out of position to draft Darnold or Rosen I think we need to go all in on Garoppollo in free agency.

Myself and many others were begging the Jets to draft him. I thought he had franchise potential then, the little work he's had since then has only enhanced my opinion.

Before people start throwing the Cassel, Hoyer, and Mallet comparisons...keep in mind that Belicheck could have traded him this past year for a 1st and more. Reports said even two 1sts wouldn't get it done. Belicheck knows if Brady goes down, he can still win a super bowl this year with Garoppollo, or if Brady really falls off a cliff...he'll re-sign Garoppollo as his new franchise qb.

Either way, the kids got the goods and it looks like Brady won't be going anywhere anytime soon. If we mess up the Darnold/Rosen sweepstakes, this guy won't be a consulation prize. He'd be worth every penny, and someone we can build around.

Whether he'd want to sign here or not...another story. But, out of Cleveland, Jax, SF, Buffalo, and us as the most QB needy teams you'd have to say Darnold and Rosen will be drafted by 2 of them, Cousins will sign with one, taking 3 teams off the list. We'd probably be one of two or three teams who'd be willing to pay big money to Garoppollo. 

He will do where ever McDaniels goes after Beli franchises him, and trades him to McDaniels new team for a sh*t load of picks book it.

I dont think he'll franchise him. While I love Garoppollo, I don't think teams are sold enough on 4 career starts to pay a big contract plus giving up picks if Belicheck franchises him. If he's franchised and no one trades for him (because to trade for him will also require a long term big $ contract) then Pats will be paying franchise $ to a backup. No team can afford that.

I do agree about McDaniels though. The thing is I don't see McDaneils being in a rush to leave until he has a perfect situation for himself.

Ideally, we end up with Darnold or Rosen. But...Jets...so we'll be signing Tyrod Taylor and extending Matt Forte.

33 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't think the Patriots are letting him get away, and if they did I think his indoctrination in the Church of Belichick would keep him far away from here.

Brady still under contract for a few more years. Can't keep both, and Brady still Brady.

Lets throw some reasonable hypotheticals if we actually want Garoppollo:

- 2 teams draft Darnold/Rosen #1/#2

- Cousins re-signs in D.C. or signs with S.F.

- Now its basically between us and a team like Jacksonville. At that point its a bidding war. If we offer more, who here thinks they won't sign because BB hates the NYJ? 

- Also, Alex Smith is rumored to be on trade market for next season.

- Drew Brees may be let go by NOLA (thats more of a stretch considering the #'s he puts up). 

The point is, with a good QB draft class and the rarity of some good good QB's being available in free agency and trade, Garoppollo will pick whatever team offers most. Loyalty to BB will be meaningless. 

6 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Brady still under contract for a few more years. Can't keep both, and Brady still Brady.

- Now its basically between us and a team like Jacksonville. At that point its a bidding war. If we offer more, who here thinks they won't sign because BB hates the NYJ? 

- Drew Brees may be let go by NOLA (thats more of a stretch considering the #'s he puts up). 

The point is, with a good QB draft class and the rarity of some good good QB's being available in free agency and trade, Garoppollo will pick whatever team offers most. Loyalty to BB will be meaningless. 

Unless of course BB offers him a backloaded deal to back then take over for Brady. I bet if the unthinkable happens and they win another Super Bowl BB and Brady may ride off into the sunset together and let those guys just take over. I could see it happening quite easily.

5 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think this is Brady's last year, personally. Time will tell...

And Garapallo not coming to the Jets isn't as much out of loyalty to BB as it is having BB in his ear for the last four years sh*tting on the organization. I think he'd want to go somewhere he had the best chance to succeed and probably buys into the idea that the Jets are a horrible organization. Doubt he wants to play the Pats twice a year, either. Money talks, but unless one offer is far better than another the Jets are a tough situation to walk into.

Darnold, Rosen, or bust.  The team needs to do everything in their power to ensure picking 1st or 2nd in 2018, even if it means playing Hackenberg down the stretch.  If the Jets "Jets" themselves and somehow don't get a top two pick, I think they need to go all in on the next best QB on the board. There will be several other top grade QB's in this draft.  Signing FA QB's is not the solution.  The draft is.

I would like to throw in Drew Bledsoe as well... How'd that work out for Buffalo?

F*ck Jimmy G. 

Jets need to draft their own QB.

Unless his name is Curtis Martin, I dont want anyone from that despicable franchise.  I didnt want Revis back either... but too many of you got all warm and fuzzy inside for his return.

3 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

when you are talking about huge sums of money for a QB just how much more do you think it would take to lure Garoppollo ? I mean if hes going to be getting elite QB money the outbid process would take it to ridiculous levels .... I mean do you want to pay the guy 30 mil ? Do you think if Jax offers him lets say 23 mil and we offer him 25 that 2 mil will be enough to lure him away from a team with 10 times the talent we have ? It will probably come down to the guaranteed money so if Jax pops up with 100 mil then what do you do ? 

Thing is the guy probably hates the Jets and wants nothing to do with a team going to face Belichick 2 times a year plus the fact we may have the worst offensive roster in the NFL by a large margin

6 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

as the saying goes, show me the money.  reports of garoppollos worth may be way overstated.  they could be trial balloons to gage the interest. the guy has 4 nfl starts and was injured. and we do need to bring up guys like cassel and hoyer.  cassel, especially did very well in the bellichickens system but didn't do so well outside of that.  likewise look at how ray lucas did with the jets in 1999.  what's the common denominator?  the coaching and the attitude of the team he was surrounded with.  at this point it's probably even money that garoppollo is no more than average anywhere else but the patsies.

3 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

doesn't your hypothetical have the jets finishing 5th from the bottom? i think you are right about the money.  the patsies will not pay garropollo more than what they think is fair value. other teams will pay more.

He's really good, I watched one of his games in preseason and frankly even when he wasnt feeling it, you could see right away how much better he is than our guys.  His throwing mechanics, accuracy, and command of the huddle (reads etc) are just decidedly top tier.  He also moves well and apparently has a good work ethic, so yea he passes my check mark test.

So while he isn't going to be Aaron Rogers, I think you are potentially looking at a Tony Romo quality talent.

Apparently the Browns were offering two first round picks (the 13th and the following years 1st).  If that doesn't do it for BB, I very much doubt that he'll ever give him up to a division rival.  They're definitely hanging on to him and they won't let him go.

Just now, Hael said:

He's really good, I watched one of his games in preseason and frankly even when he wasnt feeling it, you could see right away how much better he is than our guys.  His throwing mechanics, accuracy, and command of the huddle (reads etc) are just decidedly top tier.  He also moves well and apparently has a good work ethic, so yea he passes my check mark test.

So while he isn't going to be Aaron Rogers, I think you are potentially looking at a Tony Romo quality talent.

Apparently the Browns were offering two first round picks (the 13th and the following years 1st).  If that doesn't do it for BB, I very much doubt that he'll ever give him up to a division rival.

I guess they can franchise him, but other wise he goes where he wants.  If you franchise him and he signs it, they have to hold that much money aside for him, which will be...   22 million?   That's a lot of cap space to be on hold.  

If a team is trading multiple high picks, they will want to have an extension in place before they trade for him.

They will use the franchise tag as leverage and give him a 3 year holdover deal, probably not unlike what Glennon just signed, like on the order of 15-16 mil a year.  That's a lot for a backup, but its their franchise's future post Brady.  

Also don't be surprised if Brady is traded at some point, alla Montana/Peyton.  

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think this is Brady's last year, personally. Time will tell...

And Garapallo not coming to the Jets isn't as much out of loyalty to BB as it is having BB in his ear for the last four years sh*tting on the organization. I think he'd want to go somewhere he had the best chance to succeed and probably buys into the idea that the Jets are a horrible organization. Doubt he wants to play the Pats twice a year, either. Money talks, but unless one offer is far better than another the Jets are a tough situation to walk into.

Didn't stop Revis from coming here. Its about the money. And I don't want Jimmy. Reminds of that Green Bay QB...Flynn. 

Hey, atleast he drafted a FHoF TE Jace Amaro instead of Jimmy.

Didn't stop Revis from coming here. Its about the money. And I don't want Jimmy. Reminds of that Green Bay QB...Flynn. 
Hey, atleast he drafted a FHoF TE Jace Amaro instead of Jimmy.

Kind of an irrelevant comparison don't you think?

A) Revis had played 6 years for the Jets and only one for the Pats.

B) Revis is probably the most extreme example of a mercenary of all time. Guy held out like 5 times in his career.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I don't even know where to begin with this.  JG's preseason numbers: 463-3-1 with 69.8% completion percentage.  Know who those numbers remind me of?

Bryce Fn Petty.  426-3-1 with 66.7%.  And I can give you a guess which guy has a better surrounding cast.

So, please tell me why JGis worth $18-23M annually in addition to giving draft capital to the Pats?

So if for some reason we aren't picking at the top of the draft...with a schedule that our 2015 team couldn't win more than 3 games, and we miss out on Darnold, Rosen, Rudolph, or Mayfield, then the new coaching staff can run with Petty and grab Fitzgerald in 2019.

5 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

Darnold, Rosen, or bust.  The team needs to do everything in their power to ensure picking 1st or 2nd in 2018, even if it means playing Hackenberg down the stretch.  If the Jets "Jets" themselves and somehow don't get a top two pick, I think they need to go all in on the next best QB on the board. There will be several other top grade QB's in this draft.  Signing FA QB's is not the solution.  The draft is.

THIS is the way to go.  0-16 or bust.  DARNOLD OR ROSEN or jump off a bridge.

#suckforsam

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Kind of an irrelevant comparison don't you think?

A) Revis had played 6 years for the Jets and only one for the Pats.

B) Revis is probably the most extreme example of a mercenary of all time. Guy held out like 5 times in his career.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Nope, not at all. Let's see. Jets traded him away and there was some bad blood between the two parties. Then he goes to the Pats, essentially giving us the middle finger, which was later crowned by a SB ring. Then when Belichick wanted him back for reportedly more money, he declined them. So no, not at all. Ridley joined Jets a couple years back as well. 

This whole loyalty bullsh*t is just that. 

Archived