ASJ out of shape, may not be active this week

Gas2No99

Jets coach Todd Bowles said it's too early to tell if TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins will be active this week.

Seferian-Jenkins is eligible to return from suspension, but is reportedly out of shape after his two-week layoff. With Jordan Leggett and Eric Tomlinson dealing with injuries, the Jets may be forced to play him despite his conditioning. Seferian-Jenkins looks likely to be on a snap count if active. He should be avoided as a Week 3 streamer.
Source: ESPN New York 
Sep 20 - 6:10 PM

Jets coach Todd Bowles said TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins has "got to get in a little better shape. That's to be expected with two weeks off, but he'll get going." Bowles said it's too early to say for sure that Seferian-Jenkins will be active on Sunday against the Dolphins. It would be a surprise if he's not. The Jets have four other tight ends on the roster, but three are dealing with injuries. Seferian-Jenkins is eligible to return from a two-game suspension.

Saturday is the one-year anniversary of Austin Seferian-Jenkins' DUI arrest while playing for Tampa Bay. The Jets' tight end, coming off a two-game suspension stemming from the arrest, says he has gone 242 days without alcohol. He hopes his story can serve as an example to others.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Werent we told all offseason how in-shape he was?

3 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

How the **** does a 24 year old Professional Football Player get "out of shape" in two weeks?

LOL. What a sh*tshow

Nothing gets you out of shape like a 2 week long bender.

What can Austin Seferian-Jenkins, back from suspension, bring to Jets' offense?

Austin Seferian-Jenkins is back from suspension. (John Munson | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

Austin Seferian-Jenkins is back from suspension. (John Munson | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

The Jets' offense, which hasn't exactly lit it up through two weeks, gets an important weapon back for this week's home game against the Dolphins -- tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins. 

The Jets opened with back-to-back road losses, against the Bills and Raiders. Seferian-Jenkins watched from home, as he served a two-game suspension for a DUI arrest. Meanwhile, the Jets gained 214 yards in Buffalo and 271 yards in Oakland, while scoring 12 and 20 points. 

"It's just like a regular game plan," Jets quarterback Josh McCown said of the importance of Seferian-Jenkins' return. "As far as just personnel groupings and stuff like that. You feel like you've got your full complement of people. It'll be a big positive. We look forward to having him back with us, so it'll be good." 

New offensive coordinator John Morton wants to use tight ends in the passing game more than his predecessor, Chan Gailey, did. (Gailey barely used them at all.) But rookie Jordan Leggett (knee) missed the first two games, as Seferian-Jenkins sat out. 

So the Jets were significantly lacking at tight end. Leggett thinks he'll be ready to play against the Dolphins, and he thinks he and Seferian-Jenkins can form a dynamic tight end duo. 

In addition to Leggett, tight end Eric Tomlinson (elbow) didn't play at the Raiders. So the Jets went with tight ends Will Tye and Neal Sterling, both of whom were acquired just before the season began. Obviously, a less-than-ideal situation for Morton. 

But now, Seferian-Jenkins is around as an asset for the new coordinator. 

Winless season for Jets?

"He's been going for two weeks [from practice], so hopefully he has some recall, and came back in shape," Jets coach Todd Bowles said of Seferian-Jenkins. 

Seferian-Jenkins didn't have to stay away from the Jets' facility during his suspension. He just wasn't allowed to practice. He could still attend team and position meetings, which is important. 

Its amazing to me that a young so-called professional athlete can be out of shape two weeks removed from the end of TC. Come on. This guy either has to suck it up or be cut. There is no argument in his favor IMO. He is playing for his professional career and is out of shape? Especially on a team that is as TE challenged as this one is. Way to seize the moment kid. It just goes to show you that he has no motivation and you can have all the talent in the world but if the desire is not there it just doesn't matter. Missed opportunities and wasted talent.

While at first this seem like a really bad sign, and that despite fixing some of his issues, ASJ's might still have some things that plagued him earlier in his career, but when you actually look at what was said, there's a whole lot being drawn from one of Bowles' standard less-than-informative comments.  A random, non-committal "we'll see" is pretty different than ASJ not being able to play.

Unless he's back to drinking its impossible.  My Bowles to NY Media translator is telling me that this just means "game shape" meaning how could he be in game shape when he hasn't played in 2 weeks.  ASJ will be active and Bowles isn't being clever trying to gain an advantage, its just the Media sharks misinterpreting...

Bowles is doing his impression of Parcells.

Slight dig in the media to motivate the player while being coy about his expectations.

Of course he didn't get out of shape in 2 weeks and of course he's going to play Sunday.  ASJ returning is a pretty big deal and I expect him and McCown to have good chemistry while Josh plays.

I actually appreciate this little display of gamesmanship.

7 minutes ago, Pac said:

Bowles is doing his impression of Parcells.

Slight dig in the media to motivate the player while being coy about his expectations.

Of course he didn't get out of shape in 2 weeks and of course he's going to play Sunday.  ASJ returning is a pretty big deal and I expect him and McCown to have good chemistry while Josh plays.

I actually appreciate this little display of gamesmanship.

The guy that just went through a suspension after the offseason where he decided to better himself, sought help for an alcohol problem, lost 20 lbs and got into actual NFL shape meeds or deserves a public "dig" from his head coach? LOL.

I honestly doubt that was his intent, but if it was, then hes a real a$$hole. How about, like,  taking that public dig at his dogsh*t defense that has been a total sh*tshow?

6 minutes ago, pointman said:

He was always good though.

The one area the Jets have probably had their greatest success with that is OL.  Carpenter was widely considered a disappointment in Seattle, but Jets felt a scheme change would help, and he's been the Jets best OL and FA acquisition in recent years.

Another that the Jets got pretty heavily laughed at was Damien Woody, who was seen as washed up after having gotten benched in Detroit.  The Jets were also signing him to be a starter at a position he had like 3 total games of experience at, and the guy was an absolute monster for them.

Granted, more often than not these gambles don't pay off, but there's some occasional successes.  They also tend to be a lot less risky than some of the excessively larger contracts that will get handed out to supposed "sure things" in FA.  I'm not so sure this ASJ thing is as bad as they're trying to make it sound, but quite frankly there's little risk involved, so worth a shot anyway.

31 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

The guy that just went through a suspension after the offseason where he decided to better himself, sought help for an alcohol problem, lost 20 lbs and got into actual NFL shape meeds or deserves a public "dig" from his head coach? LOL.

I honestly doubt that was his intent, but if it was, then hes a real a$$hole. How about, like,  taking that public dig at his dogsh*t defense that has been a total sh*tshow?

It was a mild dig and in line with how Bowles typically talks about players. 

The only ones I've ever seen him publicly praise are Adams and to a lesser extent Mayes. 

I think what he's doing is fairly obvious. 

8 minutes ago, Pac said:

It was a mild dig and in line with how Bowles typically talks about players. 

The only ones I've ever seen him publicly praise are Adams and to a lesser extent Mayes. 

I think what he's doing is fairly obvious. 

He's doing his Parcells impression. Like when Parcells used to say to LT, "Hey, you fat junkie." It's really what made LT great.

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He's doing his Parcells impression. Like when Parcells used to say to LT, "Hey, you fat junkie." It's really what made LT great.

I must have missed that one.  I was referring to when he called TO the player and Terry Glenn "she".

Bowles comments make no sense unless he is trying to bait the Fish to thinking they will have no TEs for the game. He's either really smart or really stupid.

It's inconceivable to think that ASJ who has renewed vision for his life and the game would just sit on his ass for 2 weeks and do absolutely nothing

Not for nothing and I don't want to disturb the pity party, but it's super easy to be a bit rusty in a professional sport after two weeks off. He's probably in fine physical and cardiogenic shape, but game shape is just something you don't get unless you play. LTII had the most insane workouts ever, but always said you aren't in shape until you're out there hitting etc. I'm sure ASJ will be fine. 

Archived