Woody Johnson's brother is a breath of fresh air for Jets: See for yourself

Gas2No99

Woody Johnson's brother is a breath of fresh air for Jets: See for yourself

Christopher Johnson, Woody's brother and acting owner of the Jetsmet the media for the first time on Wednesday. It was a positive interaction, as he came off as a much better communicator than his older brother. 

christopher-johnsonwoody-johnsonmike-tannenbaumtom-moore-2b57a34fe8ff326a.jpg 
Julio Cortez | AP Photo

Getting to know the new guy in charge

This is Christopher Johnson's show now. 

With Woody overseas as the United States' ambassador to the U.K., his younger brother, Christopher, is overseeing all day-to-day operations involving the Jets. He'll make the small decisions, and big ones, without consulting Woody. The ambassadorship is a full-time job, and Woody doesn't have time to worry about the Jets, too. 

On Wednesday, Christopher met the media for the first time. Things went ... surprisingly well. He spoke confidently, but not cocky. He pitched the rebuild company mentality, but insisted the Jets aren't tanking. He talked about how much he wants to win, but understands where the Jets are right now. 

Honestly, he came off sounding an awful lot better than Woody. Don't believe me? Here are some of the highlights from the 20-minute press conference. 

On his goal with fans ...

"One of my roles here is to get into the fan base a little bit more. That’s definitely one of my priorities this year, starting now, especially with this first home game. I can’t say what that perception is exactly. I hope it is that this is a team on the rise. There are some growing pains right now, no question, but we have a plan and I’m going to do everything I can to support the people in this building – in particular, Neil (Glat) and Mike (Maccagnan) and Todd (Bowles). I’ve been a fan since I was a little kid. I bleed green like they do. I’m hoping that they appreciate what we’re doing to get back to greatness."

On his involvement with Jets ...

"I’ve been very much in the background, but I’ve been part of almost all of the major decisions. I’ve been in the room for pretty much all of the big changes and, even when I wasn’t, Woody was calling me up to ask me what I thought of things. To tell you the truth, that has made this transition a little bit easier because it’s not like I’m a neophyte in this building. There is still a lot for me to learn. I’m still working through my own progression here, but I think things are going pretty well."

On speaking to Todd Bowles, Mike Maccagnan

"I speak with Mike almost daily. I speak with Todd a little bit less often. He’s a man of few words, you might have noticed that, (joking) so we get a lot said in a few conversations a week."

On the tanking Jets ...

"It couldn’t be further from the truth. I want to win every game. Every player in that locker room wants to win and what you’re seeing I think are growing pains. These are young guys. There are some older guys on the team. Some of them, they’re doing an extraordinary job, but I think you’re going to see this team get better and better and better. That’s what I am looking for and we are definitely not tanking."

On Christian Hackenberg

"First of all, the quarterback position is really difficult to evaluate and we haven’t really seen where Christian (Hackenberg) might be. I’m really more about looking forward than looking back. Everybody is going to look back and find places where things have gone wrong. I don’t think that you can say that about Christian. I think that he has a lot of upside and I hope to see it."

Thoughts on Jets run defense ...

"A lot of mistakes. A lot of mistakes were made, but mistakes you can fix. That’s one thing I’m really looking forward to seeing fixed."

On if the Jets will fix them ...

"Unlike (Joe) Namath, I’m not in the guaranteeing business, but I think you can count on things getting better there."

On replacing players ...
"That’s going to be up to the Coach. That’s really going to be up to the Coach and Mike. I’m not yet Jerry Jones (laughter)."

On how he'll grade Todd Bowles ... 

"It’s not going to come down to games. It really won’t. It’s more about the play on the field. Are we getting better? Believe me, losses hurt deeply. I like wins a lot more, but it’s not going to be the sole or even a really important way for me to judge Todd or Mike."

Archived