Naps

DMan77

So who takes a daily nap? This sounds like a joke. But man do I love a good nap.

And not just because sleep is great. Napping and resting used to be a huge part of the ancient (and current in some places) world. I think we've been conditioned to think we can run at full speed for 16 hours but I don't think were built that way.

I think people would be much less anxious, on edge, stressed, and angry if we all just napped a little more. It's amazing how much better a day seems when you get enough rest. I think you could also trace a lot of health problems back to people not getting enough rest as well. 

Like I said in the beginning, this sounds like a joke... Because we've been taught that it's being lazy, or for toddlers and hungover college kids, or that napping means you're some how not living life... We're conditioned to think it's silly... But I know for me, I feel like I'm living a better life when I allow myself that 30-45 minutes nap.

NAPPING-759x500.jpg

I think I read somewhere that there are certain companies in other countries who allow their workers time to nap in the afternoons, and it increases overall productivity. 

I effing love naps. I'll take one in the afternoon when I know I'm going to have a late night working. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to stay up. The only hard part is sticking in that 20-40 minute window where a nap is most effective. Sometimes it takes me longer to fall asleep and then when my alarm goes off I'm pissed and not rested. 

Funny, I was just talking about naps with my wife today.  I've been trying to incorporate them into my daily routine as best as I can. It is amazing how much better I feel after I've had one. 

She LOVES to make fun of me that I'm just getting old, Thanks to you guys, i can explain your points about naps helping you to stay healthy and productive.

It will just be another reason she dreads the day I discovered JetNation.

I've read a few different things but it seems like capping a nap somewhere in the 30-45 range is the best... If you hit 60-70 you're borderline REM sleep. 90 minutes and you're deep in it.

I know some people have trouble with napping. I hear people say if they nap they won't wake up, or that they wake feeling disoriented or really drowsy...

And my goodness this also sounds silly; but it legit takes practice to get rid of those things... You have to sort of train your body and mind to understand this is just a little break... My Mom likes to say "Do something for 2 weeks and it'll become a habit", and I think naps fall into that too... If you set aside some time to nap for that 45 min window for a couple weeks, your body will get more and more used to the idea of it, and you'll find it easier to fall asleep and you'll wake up more refreshed.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

That would be me. Short naps murder me.

I hear ya! It really is like doing anything else though. Going to the gym for the first time murders people, but you get into the routine. It's the same basic principle with naps! You find that 'sweet spot' of time that works for you. Maybe it's 15 minutes, maybe it's 45. But once you find that, it's amazing what it can do for your day.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived