Jets’ Jamal Adams Earning High Marks

JetNation

IMG_5844.jpg

Anyone who has paid attention to the Jets over the first two weeks with even an ounce of objectivity has to have been impressed with the performance of rookie safety Jamal Adams, and according to the folks at Pro Football Focus, it’s not without reason.

According to PFF, Adams has earned the highest grade of any rookie safety in what was largely viewed as a very deep class.

Coming in behind Adams at number one are Malik Hooker of the Colts, and Saints safety Marcus Williams.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
nSBbxY0LUOI

Click here to read the full story...

45 minutes ago, varjet said:

Great news, but I am not sure about the value play given where the others were taken.

It's a valid point and I get it but to walk away with any player from the draft that can be a solid starter for years to come is a win at this point no matter where he was picked. 

This is great to see!!  

So many people have attempted to knock this guy; literally mocking Adams when Bowles said that he had excellent "eyes" on the field the other day.

This is what Bowles was referring to after the games concerning Adams.

Face it, the guy is playing at a high level and it is killing some folks out here..... :) 

7 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

This is great to see!!  

So many people have attempted to knock this guy; literally mocking Adams when Bowles said that he had excellent "eyes" on the field the other day.

Face it, the guy is playing at a high level and it is killing some folks out here..... :) 

Jets most recent first round pick, and guarantee there are people hoping he fails because he was a Mac pick. 

Why was he only compared against other rookie safeties?  It's definitely good that he's performed (a little? a lot? I have no idea what a 2 point difference means) better than other safeties drafted after him - but it's more that it would be disappointing if he wasn't.

Of course it's only 2 games anyway...

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

This is great to see!!  

6 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Is that right?

i saw the one INT he had

Peppers has looked awesome

Well considering when Bowles gets fired, and the new DC, or Defensive HC looks at his personnel, and realizes he has 2 SS, and no FS, and has to figure out another plan yet again for the Safety position yeah Hooker, and Maye, or Adams, and maybe a mid round Safety like Eddie Jackson.  Using the 2nd round pick on Dalvin Cook, or Alvin Kamara if they were so high in him.

Yeah, great to see a top 6 pick performing microscopically better than a guy (Marcus Williams) who was picked in the middle of the second round. I don't think anyone ever doubted that Jamal Adams would be good, but drafting safeties in the top of round one is bad business more times than not.

16 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Yeah, great to see a top 6 pick performing microscopically better than a guy (Marcus Williams) who was picked in the middle of the second round. I don't think anyone ever doubted that Jamal Adams would be good, but drafting safeties in the top of round one is bad business more times than not.

Why is it bad? In today's NFL safety has become the play making position on D. 2 games in, he's playing well and fans complain? It's unreal. What are the expecations? Fast track to cAnton after 2 weeks? 

4 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Why is it bad? In today's NFL safety has become the play making position on D. 2 games in, he's playing well and fans complain? It's unreal. What are the expecations? Fast track to cAnton after 2 weeks? 

Jamal Adams is going to be a great player for a long time. But when you don't have ANY talent at QB, WR, RB, TE, LT or OLB or CB, drafting safeties with high first rounders is bad business.

I guess I'm saying I'd have rather invested in someone like Mahomes rather than Adams because the impact a QB can have on a game is 100x greater than that of a SS. Case in point, Adams has played well and we still gave up 45 points to the Raiders. 

2 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

Jamal Adams is going to be a great player for a long time. But when you don't have ANY talent at QB, WR, RB, TE, LT or OLB or CB, drafting safeties with high first rounders is bad business.

I guess I'm saying I'd have rather invested in someone like Mahomes rather than Adams because the impact a QB can have on a game is 100x greater than that of a SS. Case in point, Adams has played well and we still gave up 45 points to the Raiders. 

Or we could have traded down and taken Hooker.

Some variation of the above was a smarter team building strategy.  

Grading safeties is probably the hardest and most impossible task for a rating agency that doesn't know the playcall and assignments.  I wouldn't trust any of it past the very superficial, like Adams tackled three people out of three possible... that's better than player X who missed two tackles out of three possible.

3 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

Our QB is on the way. Patience

4 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

And Mahomes would have been on the bench and we might have given up 70 pts with Calvin Pryor at safety against the Raiders. 

8 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

And Mahomes would have been on the bench and we might have given up 70 pts with Calvin Pryor at safety against the Raiders. 

I remember Derek Carr losing ten games in a row his rookie year. But you know what? At least they knew they had their QB of the future and that all those lumps were worth something. 

5 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

Jamal Adams looks like he's going to be very good safety for a longtime for the Jets.   ( very impressive the way he played) He even showed intelligence .   

7 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Jamal Adams looks like he's going to be very good safety for a longtime for the Jets.   ( very impressive the way he played) He even showed intelligence .   

Adding on to this post to give praise to the Raiders OL and jump in on Adams.  I made a GIF from game tape that showed off a ton of things in 7 seconds:

ezgif-2-db5c6a1391.gif

1.  Jamal Adams comes flying in from one side of the field and saves a TD with a tackle on the total opposite side of the the field.  It's during this play that Jamal displays the great speed, instincts, and tackling that made him the "safest" pick in this year's draft and one of the "cleanest" defensive prospects in years.  Addressing your clip with more detail, it's pretty much the right way to address that situation.  Adams knows pretty quickly that his angle and point of attack are no match for KO and his initial burst.  So what does he do?  Retreats, "pulling" KO with him and allowing him to reposition himself in case the play goes further back into the secondary and he needs to be in ideal position to stop it from being a TD.  What retreating and repositioning also does is draw KO's attention to Adams, allowing Marcus Maye to come in and "save" the play from being anything more a 5-6 yard gain.  Obviously that type of yardage is not what you want to see gained on a run, but the two rookies did exactly what safeties are supposed to do and are expected to do when the DL and LB's don't get the job done.  These 2 plays (mine and yours) are prime examples of instinctual plays you want to see from guys drafted as high as Adams and Maye.  Obviously you can argue for days about the draft position, position they play, and the value attached to those two things, but at the end of the day, the selections were made, the players are here and will continue to be here no matter how angry people get about it.  I want to evaluate them and see how they're progressing, not dwell and go on about things that can't be changed.  Player evaluation, both college and pro, is the only thing I'm having fun with and enjoying during this sh*tshow of an NFL season as a Jets fan.

Putting the focus back to my GIF, we see a bunch of other things too so I'll get back to that specific play.

2.  If Jordan Jenkins doesn't hurt himself (at least that what appears to be the case here) trying to make the tackle, he's the star of this clip, not Adams.  Didn't have work too much to get in the backfield, but he kept his shoulders square to the runner and took a good angle on the form tackle.

3.  Muhammad Wilkerson is a f*cking DOG.  No fight.  Nothing.  Just gets b*tch-slapped at the point of attack and gives up on the idea of hustling his fat ass as the play get away from his side.  Every other player is showing fire, or at the very least, a sense of urgency.  That includes Kony Ealy, who comes running into frame towards the tail end of the run.  Ealy is someone who's been here for a couple of weeks, dirt cheap, and even further away from the play than Mo.  Absolutely humiliating.  I'd have a blown up clip of this "effort" in the DL room on a loop for all damn week if I were the coaches.

4.  This one ties into #3.  There's no sugar coating it, Leo got leveled on this play.  Now, he's been dealing with a wrist injury from the pre-season that I believe is killing his ability to push/explode and that's a big reason why he can't disengage.  However, it doesn't help that the only other interior D-Lineman is playing softer than a roll of Charmin toilet paper.  The Raiders have a fantastic offensive line.  One of the best in the game.  If they know that they can go 1-1 with Mo with little to no consequences, they can just throw a double team on Leo.  Every. Single. Time.  That's almost exactly what they did and that is not what you want if you're the Jets.  Especially if Leo is  already hurt and not 100%.  Leo's resume (so far) speaks for itself.  I think he's gonna be fine in the long run.  Against a worse O-Line in week 1 (BUF), he disrupted a good amount of plays and almost notched half a sack with Josh Martin (?).  That said, it's gonna be hard for him to rack up the sacks this year if Mo keeps playing like a log of sh*t.  Offenses will continue to do this until Wilkerson (or someone else) steps up.  

5.  The ILBs, for all their massive failures these past two weeks, did a decent job here.  Demario struggled a little more than Lee with his man (totally surprising because of their respective sizes, to be honest), but above all else he, along with Lee, occupied their blockers and held their own to force the RB to the outside where there was no one to help him.  Again, not a great game for those two, but they did their jobs on this play.

6.  Burris is still a work in progress as a whole, but one part I really love about his game is that he is a DB who is not afraid of contact.  Next time I'd rather him actually, you know, make the tackle instead of being the guy who gets shoved off but still slows up the runner enough for another player to come clean up.  That said, it's nice to see that he gives a damn and will put his body out there on a running play, unlike most modern day cornerbacks.

7.  Marcus Maye falling over isn't a good look.  However, Crabtree gets away with a pretty bad hold on this play and as Maye frees himself, being held the whole way clearly puts himself off balance as he tries to recover and make the play.  Again, it's a bad look, but when looked at deeper has an explanation.  We suck enough without the refs messing up and helping the other team out.  I know there's holding on just about every play, but this one is pretty blatant and shouldn't have been missed.

27 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Adding on to this post to give praise to the Raiders OL and jump in on Adams.  I made a GIF from game tape that showed off a ton of things in 7 seconds:

ezgif-2-db5c6a1391.gif

1.  Jamal Adams comes flying in from one side of the field and saves a TD with a tackle on the total opposite side of the the field.  It's during this play that Jamal displays the great speed, instincts, and tackling that made him the "safest" pick in this year's draft and one of the "cleanest" defensive prospects in years.  Addressing your clip with more detail, it's pretty much the right way to address that situation.  Adams knows pretty quickly that his angle and point of attack are no match for KO and his initial burst.  So what does he do?  Retreats, "pulling" KO with him and allowing him to reposition himself in case the play goes further back into the secondary and he needs to be in ideal position to stop it from being a TD.  What retreating and repositioning also does is draw KO's attention to Adams, allowing Marcus Maye to come in and "save" the play from being anything more a 5-6 yard gain.  Obviously that type of yardage is not what you want to see gained on a run, but the two rookies did exactly what safeties are supposed to do and are expected to do when the DL and LB's don't get the job done.  These 2 plays (mine and yours) are prime examples of instinctual plays you want to see from guys drafted as high as Adams and Maye.  Obviously you can argue for days about the draft position, position they play, and the value attached to those two things, but at the end of the day, the selections were made, the players are here and will continue to be here no matter how angry people get about it.  I want to evaluate them and see how they're progressing, not dwell and go on about things that can't be changed.  Player evaluation, both college and pro, is the only thing I'm having fun with and enjoying during this sh*tshow of an NFL season as a Jets fan.

Putting the focus back to my GIF, we see a bunch of other things too so I'll get back to that specific play.

2.  If Jordan Jenkins doesn't hurt himself (at least that what appears to be the case here) trying to make the tackle, he's the star of this clip, not Adams.  Didn't have work too much to get in the backfield, but he kept his shoulders square to the runner and took a good angle on the form tackle.

3.  Muhammad Wilkerson is a f*cking DOG.  No fight.  Nothing.  Just gets b*tch-slapped at the point of attack and gives up on the idea of hustling his fat ass as the play get away from his side.  Every other player is showing fire, or at the very least, a sense of urgency.  That includes Kony Ealy, who comes running into frame towards the tail end of the run.  Ealy is someone who's been here for a couple of weeks, dirt cheap, and even further away from the play than Mo.  Absolutely humiliating.  I'd have a blown up clip of this "effort" in the DL room on a loop for all damn week if I were the coaches.

4.  This one ties into #3.  There's no sugar coating it, Leo got leveled on this play.  Now, he's been dealing with a wrist injury from the pre-season that I believe is killing his ability to push/explode and that's a big reason why he can't disengage.  However, it doesn't help that the only other interior D-Lineman is playing softer than a roll of Charmin toilet paper.  The Raiders have a fantastic offensive line.  One of the best in the game.  If they know that they can go 1-1 with Mo with little to no consequences, they can just throw a double team on Leo.  Every. Single. Time.  That's almost exactly what they did and that is not what you want if you're the Jets.  Especially if Leo is  already hurt and not 100%.  Leo's resume (so far) speaks for itself.  I think he's gonna be fine in the long run.  Against a worse O-Line in week 1 (BUF), he disrupted a good amount of plays and almost notched half a sack with Josh Martin (?).  That said, it's gonna be hard for him to rack up the sacks this year if Mo keeps playing like a log of sh*t.  Offenses will continue to do this until Wilkerson (or someone else) steps up.  

5.  The ILBs, for all their massive failures these past two weeks, did a decent job here.  Demario struggled a little more than Lee with his man (totally surprising because of their respective sizes, to be honest), but above all else he, along with Lee, occupied their blockers and held their own to force the RB to the outside where there was no one to help him.  Again, not a great game for those two, but they did their jobs on this play.

6.  Burris is still a work in progress as a whole, but one part I really love about his game is that he is a DB who is not afraid of contact.  Next time I'd rather him actually, you know, make the tackle instead of being the guy who gets shoved off but still slows up the runner enough for another player to come clean up.  That said, it's nice to see that he gives a damn and will put his body out there on a running play, unlike most modern day cornerbacks.

I don't know where you thought I was taking a shot at Adams( my praise of him was sincere- played very well all game.     That clip I posted showed his intelligence. Ko destroys defense lineman every week ( has to lead the league in pancake blocks)  It wouldn't have been pretty if he tried to be a hero , and took on Ko one on one.     Like you alluded to that play might have went the distance if he tried to take on Ko.  Played it very smart.( limited to six yard gain). 

Archived