Where are the Goff bashers now?

Jetster

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I too am very impressed with Jared Goff having 2 good games vs. defensive juggernauts like the Colts and 49'ers. 

haha

Nah, kid looks good.  Amazing what actual playing time does for a player.  The Rams weren't ashamed of Goff last year, let him ride it out and take his lumps.  This is how you should handle the QB position.  Case Keenum or whoever the **** it was last year, did nothing for the Rams but playing Goff clearly did.  He looks 100x more comfortable and confident.  

Then again, they didn't have the allure of Josh McCown and Ryan Fitzpatrick to play over Goff.

Other than the coaches willingness to play them, there's really no difference between Goff and Petty and/or Hackenberg, right?

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

There are those that would argue that the sh*tty passing offense was the reason for Gurley not running the ball the way he is right now.

They're absolutely symbiotic - if you can't run the passing games suffers as the defense can pin their ears back and get after the QB. If you can't pass the defense will stack the LOS taking away any running lanes.

2 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Goff passes the eye test imo. He looks like he's seeing the field well and making the right reads. He's got a lot of weapons too which is essential for a developing QB, and he's got an innovative offensive coach. Since this is a veiled coach bashing thread lol, I am 100% certain he would probably look just about as bad as Hack if he were here. Don't mistake that last sentence as me saying Hack would be as good as Goff in StL though.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Yeah, see but with different coaching and different OL and playmakers he DID NOT pass the eye test last year. The Jets desperately need to purge Bowles. I am not convinced that Mac is actually in control of the top of the draft so with different HC, hopefully one that reports to him, he might draft better. 

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

I read this site every day just to see what the state of Jet fans is. There were a bunch of you critics bashing the Rams & calling Goff a bust last year in his 1st year in the NFL. Perfect example of jumping to conclusions & not letting players grow.

Another example as coaching matters. We desperately need to get a create offensive coach if we in fact are in position to grab a QB in the 2018 draft. Bowles is Jeff Fisher....only worse at coaching defense.

yeah, i hear them carving his bust for canton as we speak.  hey, he's played two games this season.  i don't follow the ewes so i guess they were both wins. a couple of observations.  they've played bad enough for a long enough period of time to get some good draft picks and usually a change of coaches brings a new attitude to the team and they play better.  give goff a couple of more seasons before declaring him one way or another.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No, it was Wentz (while Goff was struggling more than Wentz as a rookie). Now that Goff is settling down, the story will be rewritten as he really wanted whichever was the better of the two. Then again, it's not like he pulled off the move anyway.

Had to get that ILB, keep Mo for an extension, sign Fitz to mentor a project he could get later. They got to rebuild, but still be competitive. It's brilliant. That's what makes him that guy, and why we're in such great shape today, without the need to fully throw away 2 full NFL seasons in a row.

Lost in all this is if Goff fell flat on his face again this year, and the Rams picked at/near the top of the draft again, they could just draft another QB and try again. Because we were using Mo as part of the trade-up compensation, it would have cost us fewer picks (and saved us Mo's motherlode of wasted cap space to use at a position where there was an actual need).

Not giving whatever it took to go up, and get Wentz will be the biggest black mark on Mac's resume to me.  We're talking Mo, Lee, Adams, Burris for Wentz where the **** do I sign for that trade?  We already covered this I know, but it still bugs me as I loved Wentz.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

They bought him and OL and weapons and it's paying off for sure.  Gurley running the ball the way he is right now is a big help too. 

With the holes Gurley had to run through I'm sure was a big help for Goff success. Meanwhile when we try to run, it looks like they're running into a crowded subway car.

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Petty may be no better this year than he (or Goff) was last year. But he should be on the field to give himself more than just a month of games before the then-obligatory look at Hackenberg.

This dillydallying with McCown throwing to veteran receivers serves no end. He shouldn't have been on the roster in the first place, to tempt a HC in job-preservation mode far more than give-Petty/Hack-a-shot mode. 

Petty could be ok, maybe Hack is ok in 2019, but at this point I think it is fair to say that if the Jets tank or even quasi tank, they can get a QB in the draft for a 5 year rookie contract that is better than Petty and Hack, and we can trade Petty for a draft pick.  Maybe Petty plays against NEP so we know we lose anyway.  As grim as it feels, the best way to get a FQB for this team for 2018 is to tank, and tank hard.

The Jets will have 2 second round draft picks, one likely top 3, that can be used for a center or LT to take over for Beachum.  We can draft or sign RBS, WRs and other OL.   There is alot we can do with our draft picks and money on the offense.  

The defense should be in better shape than it is.  Don't know how this team fixes both of them, but if they draft a QB, they need an offense that works. 

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Not giving whatever it took to go up, and get Wentz will be the biggest black mark on Mac's resume to me.  We're talking Mo, Lee, Adams, Burris for Wentz where the **** do I sign for that trade?  We already covered this I know, but it still bugs me as I loved Wentz.

If that were it, it would be bad enough. It's more than that, since there will be those that say we're better off with a (yet unknown) 2018 draftee, as though the college ranks stop putting out QB talent after the 2018 draft. It's the extra 2 football seasons wasted.

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

I love Wentz, but I am also not convinced any of our coaches would have a damn clue on how to develop him either, and I would say if we did that, we would be all killing Mac right now for trading our future for a huge bust.

I know, I know, I am in the very small minority that doesn't believe QB's are robots who are either good robots or bad robots.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Petty could be ok, maybe Hack is ok in 2019, but at this point I think it is fair to say that if the Jets tank or even quasi tank, they can get a QB in the draft for a 5 year rookie contract that is better than Petty and Hack, and we can trade Petty for a draft pick.  Maybe Petty plays against NEP so we know we lose anyway.  As grim as it feels, the best way to get a FQB for this team for 2018 is to tank, and tank hard.

The Jets will have 2 second round draft picks, one likely top 3, that can be used for a center or LT to take over for Beachum.  We can draft or sign RBS, WRs and other OL.   There is alot we can do with our draft picks and money on the offense.  

The defense should be in better shape than it is.  Don't know how this team fixes both of them, but if they draft a QB, they need an offense that works. 

There is no way we're going into the 2018 draft without a center already in place (a la 2006 when we took Mangold). Beachum we almost assurely would keep, since he's seen to it we're on the hook for half his 2018 salary no matter what, and no new money is paid or guaranteed between March 10 and draft day.

At this stage we're going to have to extend W.Johnson or find another short-term solution (e.g. a veteran in his mid-30s) at center. If we can get someone for 2-3 years with a max of 1 yr guaranteed, that could prevent reaching at the position for a lesser prospect, as well as the luxury of not throwing him out there day 1 and getting our new QB killed, if he can't handle it yet. But the problem is it also relegates any such center to the bench for his entire rookie season (barring injury to the veteran starter, or the rookie totally showing him up in camp).

It's just awesome that, with a pretty meh center only playing under a 1-yr RFA tag, we didn't take a shot at a single offensive lineman with any of our 9 selections.

4 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Goff is better than Petty, come on now.

You are right.......

I remember this play again when folks said that Herman Edwards was holding back Brooks Bollinger.  Sometimes QBs are not good; in Petty's case the jury is still out, but for anyone to say that he is better than Goff right now is a stretch...

14 minutes ago, Ghost said:

This Rams team added a couple good players in the off-season. However, they're not THAT different than last year. One thing that is different is the play from Goff and he instantly changed how good of a team they are. 

Kind of gives us hope. 

They also changed coaches and brought in a true offensive coach that had great success with Cousins in Washington.  I don't see any changes here until we bring a n that type of coach.

9 hours ago, Ghost said:

This Rams team added a couple good players in the off-season. However, they're not THAT different than last year. One thing that is different is the play from Goff and he instantly changed how good of a team they are. 

Kind of gives us hope. 

QB's change everything, they Win games on their own. The good news is the Tank is on!

I read this site every day just to see what the state of Jet fans is. There were a bunch of you critics bashing the Rams & calling Goff a bust last year in his 1st year in the NFL. Perfect example of jumping to conclusions & not letting players grow.
Another example as coaching matters. We desperately need to get a create offensive coach if we in fact are in position to grab a QB in the 2018 draft. Bowles is Jeff Fisher....only worse at coaching defense.

People on this forum call guys busts based off of what they hear on the radio or tv without ever seeing the player play some people probably only say these things to get a reaction out of people, others just mindlessly follow the media who are in desprate need for a story so they make crap up. The flip side of course is that Geoff has only played three games so far and has only had one game where he really shined...against a team that is on the top of the conversation of obtaining the number one overall pick...let these kids play a bit longer before passing judgement and make an educated decision on how good or bad they are a year or two down the road is what I always say.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

On 9/22/2017 at 8:26 AM, Jetster said:

He had one good game against a bad defense. 

Lets not anoint him into Canton just yet......

Archived