Where are the Goff bashers now?

Jetster

I read this site every day just to see what the state of Jet fans is. There were a bunch of you critics bashing the Rams & calling Goff a bust last year in his 1st year in the NFL. Perfect example of jumping to conclusions & not letting players grow.

Another example as coaching matters. We desperately need to get a create offensive coach if we in fact are in position to grab a QB in the 2018 draft. Bowles is Jeff Fisher....only worse at coaching defense.

i mean not that he didnt beat up on one of the worst teams in football but what did he do last week on the last drive? i think he will be good, but lets try and keep the i told you so threads in perspective...he hasnt proven that he isnt a bust yet (for being 1 overall).

10 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

i mean not that he didnt beat up on one of the worst teams in football but what did he do last week on the last drive? i think he will be good, but lets try and keep the i told you so threads in perspective...he hasnt proven that he isnt a bust yet (for being 1 overall).

true.....some were quick to judge him for his previous poor performances but by the same token, he hasn't performed well enough over a period of time to say he will be anything. I remember a guy who went 5-0 and we thought he was going to be a superstar for us.....Browning Nagle says hi. :-)

oh and I recognize this was really just yet another cleverly disguised coach bashing thread so....carry on

If anything i shows the crazy expectations on a QB to make the whole team better. Last year's Rams had a rough OL and nothing much at WR; they've improved both and now the QB isn't having to try to do it all.

Plus it seems McVey has a much better handle on how to get his O to succeed - read the Next Gen Stats article on NFL.com and hey show a big improvement on play design / creating more open windows for the QB to hit.

16 minutes ago, jamesr said:

If anything i shows the crazy expectations on a QB to make the whole team better. Last year's Rams had a rough OL and nothing much at WR; they've improved both and now the QB isn't having to try to do it all.

Plus it seems McVey has a much better handle on how to get his O to succeed - read the Next Gen Stats article on NFL.com and hey show a big improvement on play design / creating more open windows for the QB to hit.

Thank you ... NO QB CAN DO IT ALL!

Sad but FF has made some fans think that they can.....

6 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you ... NO QB CAN DO IT ALL!!

And IMO only FF has made some fans think that they can

I barely even think about QBs in terms of FF.  I completely concentrate on WR and RB.  I just pick whatever mid-level QB is there when the 2nd run is going, or I stream whoever is playing a sh*tty team.  Right now I have Stafford.  

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I barely even think about QBs in terms of FF.  I completely concentrate on WR and RB.  I just pick whatever mid-level QB is there when the 2nd run is going, or I stream whoever is playing a sh*tty team.  Right now I have Stafford.  

You my friend are not a poster that I think is delusional on FF juice.... :) 

I may disagree with you but that doesn't make you wrong or delusional, just having a different opinion.

But there are posters, who shall not be named, who act as if it doesn't matter if you have a  competent OL, WRs, RBs, TEs and so on,  just plug the QB in and that magically the QB will make all of them instantly better and he wont or can't...

Goff passes the eye test imo. He looks like he's seeing the field well and making the right reads. He's got a lot of weapons too which is essential for a developing QB, and he's got an innovative offensive coach. Since this is a veiled coach bashing thread lol, I am 100% certain he would probably look just about as bad as Hack if he were here. Don't mistake that last sentence as me saying Hack would be as good as Goff in StL though.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I too am very impressed with Jared Goff having 2 good games vs. defensive juggernauts like the Colts and 49'ers. 

haha

Nah, kid looks good.  Amazing what actual playing time does for a player.  The Rams weren't ashamed of Goff last year, let him ride it out and take his lumps.  This is how you should handle the QB position.  Case Keenum or whoever the **** it was last year, did nothing for the Rams but playing Goff clearly did.  He looks 100x more comfortable and confident.  

Then again, they didn't have the allure of Josh McCown and Ryan Fitzpatrick to play over Goff.

2 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Goff passes the eye test imo. He looks like he's seeing the field well and making the right reads. He's got a lot of weapons too which is essential for a developing QB, and he's got an innovative offensive coach. Since this is a veiled coach bashing thread lol, I am 100% certain he would probably look just about as bad as Hack if he were here. Don't mistake that last sentence as me saying Hack would be as good as Goff in StL though.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

They bought him and OL and weapons and it's paying off for sure.  Gurley running the ball the way he is right now is a big help too. 

Just now, sciond said:

ok so who is going to carry the Hack torch?

Does it matter?  The Jets are a bunch of stupid ******* morons.  McCown, should have never been signed and it should have been ride or die with Petty and Hack.  Just like it should have been ride or die with Geno and Petty but nope.  The allure of sh*tty journeyman QB's who may win a handful of games is too appealing to our brass to do the right thing and actually handle the QB position like adults. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Does it matter?  The Jets are a bunch of stupid ******* morons.  McCown, should have never been signed and it should have been ride or die with Petty and Hack.  Just like it should have been ride or die with Geno and Petty but nope.  The allure of sh*tty journeyman QB's who may win a handful of games is too appealing to our brass to do the right thing and actually handle the QB position like adults. 

It gives the Jets a chance  to win 3 games and get like 6th or 7th pick and then maybe draft a CB or or an LB

What else can you expect....

38 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

You my friend are not a poster that I think is delusional on FF juice.... :) 

I may disagree with you but that doesn't make you wrong or delusional, just having a different opinion.

But there are posters, who shall not be named, who act as if it doesn't matter if you have a  competent OL, WRs, RBs, TEs and so on,  just plug the QB in and that magically the QB will make all of them instantly better and he wont or can't...

My concern for us is, whichever QB we bring in, he is going to hit a similar situation to Goff ... depleted OL, bunch of guys at WR and RB ... there'll be pressure to (a) start him week 1 and (b) win every week.

He'll be a "bust" by Week 2, and you'll either be a "Darnold hater" if you criticise him or an "excuse maker" if you point out the issues around him. In other words - business as usual on JetNation.com! ;-) 

1 minute ago, jamesr said:

My concern for us is, whichever QB we bring in, he is going to hit a similar situation to Goff ... depleted OL, bunch of guys at WR and RB ... there'll be pressure to (a) start him week 1 and (b) win every week.

He'll be a bust by Week 2, and you'll either be a "Darnold hater" if you criticise him or an "excuse maker" if you point out the issues around him. In other words - business as usual on JetNation.com! ;-) 

All the more reason to play Petty or Hack now. One of them should be serviceable for 2018 so you don'y have to rush the new kid.

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

There are those that would argue that the sh*tty passing offense was the reason for Gurley not running the ball the way he is right now.

Sure.  I would 100% agree.  The old, which came first the chicken or the egg.  Does the passing game open up running lanes or does the running game open up passing lanes.  Woods and Watkins definitely help.  Either way, you can't tell me Gurely doesn't look like a different runner this year.  He looks like he did as a Freshman Georgia before all the injuries.  

That said, I think what they did with the OL has been the biggest reason for success...adding Sullivan and Whitworth was huge for them

25 minutes ago, JiF said:

I too am very impressed with Jared Goff having 2 good games vs. defensive juggernauts like the Colts and 49'ers. 

haha

Nah, kid looks good.  Amazing what actual playing time does for a player.  The Rams weren't ashamed of Goff last year, let him ride it out and take his lumps.  This is how you should handle the QB position.  Case Keenum or whoever the **** it was last year, did nothing for the Rams but playing Goff clearly did.  He looks 100x more comfortable and confident.  

Then again, they didn't have the allure of Josh McCown and Ryan Fitzpatrick to play over Goff.

More so what a good coaching staff does for a player. McVay comes in and actually makes it a priority to make Goff succeed with getting protection and drafting weapons to surround him with. Crazy concept. 

And honestly, I think it's more impressive what Shanahan is doing with Hoyer. Played Seattle close and then puts up 39 points against a pretty good Rams defense. Just wait till he gets his QB in place. 

16 minutes ago, De-Jet-Erate/Duane said:

All the more reason to play Petty or Hack now. One of them should be serviceable for 2018 so you don'y have to rush the new kid.

And Bowles will get slammed for keeping the saviour on the bench while trotting out JAG vets. ;-)

And / or Macc will be criticised for picking a QB first overall that can't start Week 1. Doubly so if the next QB is already seeing the field.

(FYI - not being overly serious here, just tongue-in-cheek about how the board in general seems to latch onto extremes without allowing guys time to develop. :-)).

1 minute ago, jamesr said:

And Bowles will get slammed for keeping the saviour on the bench while trotting out JAG vets. ;-)

And / or Macc will be criticised for picking a QB first overall that can't start Week 1. Doubly so if the next QB is already seeing the field.

(FYI - not being overly serious here, just tongue-in-cheek about how the board in general seems to latch onto extremes without allowing guys time to develop. :-)).

I feel your pain. I thought my ex wife swung from one extreme to another

32 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Heres another thing people forget: Maccc thought about trading up for Goff, so when you think about it he found us a franchise QB already

No, it was Wentz (while Goff was struggling more than Wentz as a rookie). Now that Goff is settling down, the story will be rewritten as he really wanted whichever was the better of the two. Then again, it's not like he pulled off the move anyway.

Had to get that ILB, keep Mo for an extension, sign Fitz to mentor a project he could get later. They got to rebuild, but still be competitive. It's brilliant. That's what makes him that guy, and why we're in such great shape today, without the need to fully throw away 2 full NFL seasons in a row.

Lost in all this is if Goff fell flat on his face again this year, and the Rams picked at/near the top of the draft again, they could just draft another QB and try again. Because we were using Mo as part of the trade-up compensation, it would have cost us fewer picks (and saved us Mo's motherlode of wasted cap space to use at a position where there was an actual need).

Petty was as good as Goff last year...maybe get Petty in there and sink or swim maybe find a diamond in the rough. Anyways I actually was one that thought Goff was busting, although the defences were not premium by any means they were NFL caliber so I will give him credit for how he has turned it around so early in the year.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

8 minutes ago, nicg4360 said:

Petty was as good as Goff last year...maybe get Petty in there and sink or swim maybe find a diamond in the rough. Anyways I actually was one that thought Goff was busting, although the defences were not premium by any means they were NFL caliber so I will give him credit for how he has turned it around so early in the year.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

Petty may be no better this year than he (or Goff) was last year. But he should be on the field to give himself more than just a month of games before the then-obligatory look at Hackenberg.

This dillydallying with McCown throwing to veteran receivers serves no end. He shouldn't have been on the roster in the first place, to tempt a HC in job-preservation mode far more than give-Petty/Hack-a-shot mode. 

Let's see what Goff does when he squares up with Seattle. Indianapolis is the worst team in football and the 49ers might be the second worst. He has a chance late in the 4th against the Redskins and threw a boneheaded INT. He looks good - but let's not get too crazy.

37 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No, it was Wentz (while Goff was struggling more than Wentz as a rookie). Now that Goff is settling down, the story will be rewritten as he really wanted whichever was the better of the two. Then again, it's not like he pulled off the move anyway.

As long as we all acknowledge that Maccc, is good

15 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Let's see what Goff does when he squares up with Seattle. Indianapolis is the worst team in football and the 49ers might be the second worst. He has a chance late in the 4th against the Redskins and threw a boneheaded INT. He looks good - but let's not get too crazy.

Lol, who's going crazy? I just made a comment based on the ridiculous expectations of Jet fans that every draft pick start game one as an MVP candidate at their position. Yes, I know the Colts & 49ers suck, but he was accurate, made throws while pressured, surveyed the field & went through progressions. Hell, if Bryce Petty did what Goff did last night Jet fans would be doing handstands but we actually had people on this board last year stating "thank god Macc was unable to move up & draft that bust", lol. I will say this, Rosen looks like a better Goff, so I'm completely on the Rosen bandwagon. He makes accurate short throws on the move, imperative to being successful in the NFL.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

I read this site every day just to see what the state of Jet fans is. There were a bunch of you critics bashing the Rams & calling Goff a bust last year in his 1st year in the NFL. Perfect example of jumping to conclusions & not letting players grow.

Another example as coaching matters. We desperately need to get a create offensive coach if we in fact are in position to grab a QB in the 2018 draft. Bowles is Jeff Fisher....only worse at coaching defense.

Most fans have no patience. Even if the Jets hire a new HC for next season, if they start 0-2 they will want that HC fired. Hopefully Chris Johnson is sharp enough not to be swayed by the reaction of fans.  I thought he was impressive in his first press conference.

5 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Most fans have no patience. Even if the Jets hire a new HC for next season, if they start 0-2 they will want that HC fired. Hopefully Chris Johnson is sharp enough not to be swayed by the reaction of fans.  I thought he was impressive in his first press conference.

Even if they buy billboards?

2 hours ago, k-met57 said:

jester needs to create at least 3-4 self-important threads per week... Try to keep up.

Archived