Hey Charlie Casserly, where was McVay during the Jets HC search?

Integrity28

Just wondering, ya know, given that all he did was lobby for people in his network rather than conduct an actual candidate search. McVay surely had to be on his radar, given his ties to the Redskins.

Or wait, did he even bother lobbying his network? Maybe he just put together a list of the hot candidates being talked about on NFLN (of whichever network pays his check). 

I've lobbied for us to land Wade Phillips as DC since we fired Mangini. I know it's a hypothetical argument, but there's no doubt in my mind that Wade with the defensive rosters we've had would have been amazing.

Anyway, thanks Charlie for Bowles. He sucks. I hope Chris Johnson is better at this sh*t...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Just wondering, ya know, given that all he did was lobby for people in his network rather than conduct an actual candidate search. McVay surely had to be on his radar, given his ties to the Redskins.

Or wait, did he even bother lobbying his network? Maybe he just put together a list of the hot candidates being talked about on NFLN (of whichever network pays his check). 

I've lobbied for us to land Wade Phillips as DC since we fired Mangini. I know it's a hypothetical argument, but there's no doubt in my mind that Wade with the defensive rosters we've had would have been amazing.

Anyway, thanks Charlie for Bowles. He sucks. I hope Chris Johnson is better at this sh*t...

They beat Scott Tolzien and Bryan Hoyer.  That Rams D (who is a sh*t ton more talented than the Jets), gave up 39 points to the worst offense in the league (yes, I think the Jets are better).  

McVay might be a nice coach but it certainly isn't because he's 2-1 facing the teams battling us for #1 overall. 

"Who's been wrong more than Charley Casserly since he left the Redskins?" Belichick said. "His percentage is like a meteorologist. He has no relationship to this team. I'd say less than zero. Based on what? He's never at a practice, never at a game. At least he put his name on it (the report), which is more than a lot of guys. But, like he usually is, he was 100 percent wrong."

McVay might turn out to be a great coach but Thursday Night did nothing other than prove he's still a good offensive coach.  His team gave up 39 pts to Brian Hoyer and while that defense was on the field he was busy sitting on a water cooler going through the offense.  Sure, Goff looks like a real QB but it's only been 2 games.  If the Rams would've lost that game he would've gone from this so-called "genius" up and coming HC to being bashed for still not understanding he's the HC not the offensive coordinator.  I mean his D was struggling against Brian Hoyer and while I understand he hired and experienced DC in Wade Philips to run that D he's still the HC and can't be sitting on a water cooler with his head down drawing up offensive plays while his D is getting roasted.  Of course in a Prime Time game the NFL machine isn't going to mention that because he's a young, good looking guy coaching in LA so they want to build him up to be the next great coach.  

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

"Who's been wrong more than Charley Casserly since he left the Redskins?" Belichick said. "His percentage is like a meteorologist. He has no relationship to this team. I'd say less than zero. Based on what? He's never at a practice, never at a game. At least he put his name on it (the report), which is more than a lot of guys. But, like he usually is, he was 100 percent wrong."

What was this in reference to

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Bowles started 2-0 as a rookie head coach. The hate for Bowles is so over the top now that it's just straight comical instead of sensible 

They beat Scott Tolzien and Bryan Hoyer.  That Rams D (who is a sh*t ton more talented than the Jets), gave up 39 points to the worst offense in the league (yes, I think the Jets are better).  
McVay might be a nice coach but it certainly isn't because he's 2-1 facing the teams battling us for #1 overall. 

Dude, the 49ers O is better than us at literally every position. Hoyer sucks, but he's better than McCown. Garçon is better than any receiver we have, Celek is worlds better than our TE's, Hyde runs circles around Forte at this point and their shaky OL is worlds better than ours.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I'm not basing my rant on what the Rams have done in 3 weeks. I'm basing it on the scaleability of what I've seen. So far, I see McVay having gotten their top pick QB to play good football. I see Wade Phillips, and with him it's just a matter of when, not if, he fixes that defense and has them playing terrific. His track record as a DC speaks for itself. They really don't have more talent on their D than we do either. Not in terms of draft capital and proven ability. 

I can appreciate where you're coming from though, and to the layman would respect it as a counter point, but the Rams are rebuilding - same as us - and already in a better place after 3 games than we are after 3 years. Imagine McVay and Wade after 3 seasons... that's my point. I guess.

43 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Bowles started 2-0 as a rookie head coach. The hate for Bowles is so over the top now that it's just straight comical instead of sensible 

When he lost the team last year, he lost my support. I'm not "hating". To me, a coach that loses the team is no longer a coach worth supporting. It was the same with Rex. 

I see this as being pragmatic, as a fan.

55 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

This. Also if this McVay guy has a losing season these same folks will be like "we'll I'm glad we didn't get him" can't say I'm a huge Bowles fan, but the knee jerk reaction is comical

32 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

When he lost the team last year, he lost my support. I'm not "hating". To me, a coach that loses the team is no longer a coach worth supporting. It was the same with Rex. 

I see this as being pragmatic, as a fan.

So then maybe you should wait until he's gone through some trials and tribulations when his Rams inevitably fall back to the mean and see how he handles the adversity before you crown him?

It wasn't that long ago that we had our own boy wonder around these parts who went from beloved " Gini-ous" to dolt within 16 months. 

On a side note, am I the only one who got creepy vibes from Mike Tirico's, um, "admiration" for McVay. Felt like he wanted to have his baby last night.

Gross.

22 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I'm not basing my rant on what the Rams have done in 3 weeks. I'm basing it on the scaleability of what I've seen. So far, I see McVay having gotten their top pick QB to play good football. I see Wade Phillips, and with him it's just a matter of when, not if, he fixes that defense and has them playing terrific. His track record as a DC speaks for itself. They really don't have more talent on their D than we do either. Not in terms of draft capital and proven ability. 

I can appreciate where you're coming from though, and to the layman would respect it as a counter point, but the Rams are rebuilding - same as us - and already in a better place after 3 games than we are after 3 years. Imagine McVay and Wade after 3 seasons... that's my point. I guess.

Rams are way ahead of us in their rebuild considering they have Gurley in his prime and gave up a lot to move up for Goff, it's apples and oranges.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

THIS is why the NY Jets will always SUCK if Woody Johnson is making the decisions. Belichick has been kicking your since 2001, so what do you do? You go to the guy for advice whom Belichick filets to help make a huge decision about your team because your a moron who can't think for himself, or know anything about the business you f*cking own! Being a Jet fan is very difficult.

14 minutes ago, rillo said:

This. Also if this McVay guy has a losing season these same folks will be like "we'll I'm glad we didn't get him" can't say I'm a huge Bowles fan, but the knee jerk reaction is comical

Also if Bowles was back on the bench not watching when the offense was on the field how many people would lose their minds?  That's what

McVay did all night when LA defense was playing.  What if he needed to make a challenge?  Was a waterboy supposed to run and get him?

13 minutes ago, KRL said:

Also if Bowles was back on the bench not watching when the offense was on the field how many people would lose their minds?  That's what

McVay did all night when LA defense was playing.  What if he needed to make a challenge?  Was a waterboy supposed to run and get him?

Isn't that exactly what happened to Bowles last year? And that's why he gave up the play calling to Rodgers. Live and learn.

12 minutes ago, KRL said:

McVay was busy coaching his offense when they were off the field. It is his strong suit and is somethingTB seems to know nothing about.

He trusts his DC to make the calls when they are on the field. Does TB trust Kacey??

Regarding challenges, there is CS in the booth who communicate any potential challenges to the HC and then he bases his decision to challenge or not on their advice.

43 minutes ago, glenn31 said:

So then maybe you should wait until he's gone through some trials and tribulations when his Rams inevitably fall back to the mean and see how he handles the adversity before you crown him?

It wasn't that long ago that we had our own boy wonder around these parts who went from beloved " Gini-ous" to dolt within 16 months. 

On a side note, am I the only one who got creepy vibes from Mike Tirico's, um, "admiration" for McVay. Felt like he wanted to have his baby last night.

Gross.

Nah, I feel McVay has a much higher ceiling that Bowles. Much higher.

37 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

Rams are way ahead of us in their rebuild considering they have Gurley in his prime and gave up a lot to move up for Goff, it's apples and oranges.

It shouldn't be apples and oranges, that's the point. The Rams found a QB, found a stud RB, acquired Watkins, continue to invest in the DL and OL, and have done so in less time that it's taken Mac/Bowles to make the team worse than when Rex/Idzik were here.

29 minutes ago, nico002 said:

why is mcvay worth salivating over?

he was also 29 when we hired Bowles....

Salivating? No.

The question I'm raising is less about McVay specifically, and more about the sham of a "coaching search" conducted by Casserly. Woody hired him as a consultant, and he had the Jets interview the exact same people that everyone else was interviewing. Literally not one single candidate was an "out of nowhere" that could be accredited to the stellar connections and foresight of Casserly. There were no McVay "types" in his search. Instead, the Jets paid a consultant to receive the advice "interview the same people everyone is".

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

It shouldn't be apples and oranges, that's the point. The Rams found a QB, found a stud RB, acquired Watkins, continue to invest in the DL and OL, and have done so in less time that it's taken Mac/Bowles to make the team worse than when Rex/Idzik were here.

Rams look good right now but it's a long season and with all they gave up to get Goff they should be a win now team.  I think most here agreed at the time the trade the Rams made for Goff was a major reach and while he looks much better 2 games is not enough to say he's the guy yet.

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Salivating? No.

The question I'm raising is less about McVay specifically, and more about the sham of a "coaching search" conducted by Casserly. Woody hired him as a consultant, and he had the Jets interview the exact same people that everyone else was interviewing. Literally not one single candidate was an "out of nowhere" that could be accredited to the stellar connections and foresight of Casserly. There were no McVay "types" in his search. Instead, the Jets paid a consultant to receive the advice "interview the same people everyone is".

From the stories I heard it sounded like Casserly's first recommendation was Marorone not Bowles but because Mehta went out and wrote that scathing article about him Woody was too scared to make that move.  Plus Casserly was there not just to recommend coaches but to be involved in the interview process and help hire the right guy.  Whenever these coaching searches happen it's always the same names being mentioned it's just a matter of how the musical chairs shapes out.  

40 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

I actually think we're on pretty much the exact same path as the 49ers. Both teams look like they want to build their defense, put the offense in place and establish it with a veteran QB that knows the system well. So once they do go get their QB next year, things will be a smoother transition. Which makes me believe more and more that not many changes will be made to the staff this off season unless Bowles just completely f's up. 

Rams already had their major pieces in place, they just needed a competent HC. 

He wasn't just 29.  He was a TE coach that had one year under his belt running offense for Jay Gruden's 4-12 Redskins.  Gruden is an offensive guy, so it wouldn't be obvious how much of their success, or lack thereof, was attributable to McVay.  It would have been insane for anybody to have him on their radar at that point.

6 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

From the stories I heard it sounded like Casserly's first recommendation was Marorone not Bowles but because Mehta went out and wrote that scathing article about him Woody was too scared to make that move.  Plus Casserly was there not just to recommend coaches but to be involved in the interview process and help hire the right guy.  Whenever these coaching searches happen it's always the same names being mentioned it's just a matter of how the musical chairs shapes out.  

Exactly why it makes zero sense to pay a consultant.

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He wasn't just 29.  He was a TE coach that had one year under his belt running offense for Jay Gruden's 4-12 Redskins.  Gruden is an offensive guy, so it wouldn't be obvious how much of their success, or lack thereof, was attributable to McVay.  It would have been insane for anybody to have him on their radar at that point.

Fair point, I thought he was OC for a while. Regardless my prevailing point is about there being zero unique candidates brought by Casserly.

2 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I actually think we're on pretty much the exact same path as the 49ers. Both teams look like they want to build their defense, put the offense in place and establish it with a veteran QB that knows the system well. So once they do go get their QB next year, things will be a smoother transition. Which makes me believe more and more that not many changes will be made to the staff this off season unless Bowles just completely f's up. 

Rams already had their major pieces in place, they just needed a competent HC. 

Agreed which is why I was rooting for the 49ers last night, they're obviously one of our biggest threats for a franchise QB (although they could end up with Cousins) so the more games they win the better for us.  The biggest difference though and I'm not saying this is right or wrong is they gave their coach and GM 5 year deals IIR meaning they have been given time to rebuild together.  The Jets on the otherhand are in year 3 of this regime as they begin their rebuild putting in place an internal battle of Bowles and Macc trying to save their jobs while still trying to rebuild

Archived