Aaron Hernandez had severe CTE

RoadFan

14 minutes ago, sciond said:

Sad what happens to these players money for health and life expectancy. Life is choices.

Yeah I think we should have a memorial and a fund raiser for him.  He was clearly the victim.

Maybe one for Genghis Khan also.  Probably forced to ride, and fall on his head off horses.  Pressured by an exploitative Mongol Empire. 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Yeah I think we should have a memorial and a fund raiser for him.  He was clearly the victim.

Maybe one for Genghis Khan also.  Probably forced to ride, and fall on his head off horses.  Pressured by an exploitative Mongol Empire. 

Your understanding of CTE is breathtaking.

If you don't think it was a contributing factor than I guess you have no empathy for Webster, Duerson, Seau, Robinson jr.,Belcher, etc...

9 minutes ago, sciond said:

If you don't think it was a contributing factor than I guess you have no empathy for Webster, Duerson, Seau, Robinson jr.,Belcher, etc...

Weird how those other guys with "CTE" managed to not murder anyone despite their disability.....

As someone who deals with a relative with encephalopathy on a daily basis (not from CTE, but from AE), let me tell you, it absolutely changes behavior.  The person before and the person after is so different, it is unbelievable.  Everyday, I see the same things I read about these players with CTE.  Its absolutely frightening.

25 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Interesting concept... and what about asthmatics?  You do realize that inhalers are steroids too?

Yep , so is prednisone which is prescribed for a variety of inflammatory conditions. Bottom line looking at CTE in a vacuum is a fallacy. There can be so many contributing co-factors that have absolutely nothing to do with football or concussions.

36 minutes ago, sciond said:

The fact is no one really has an understanding of CTE.  Some people choose to be in full panic mode, with very little info.

10 minutes ago, flgreen said:

The fact is no one really has an understanding of CTE.  Some people choose to be in full panic mode, with very little info.

At least with CTE you have research going on due to the focus that is on it right now.  In other encephalitis' you don't have that same dedication.  If you have ever dealt with anyone with encephalitis or encephalopathy, you would understand why people are in a full blown panic.  The people dealing with it can barely function.  To the point of not knowing who they are, where they are, or how to put their own clothes on, all with a sprinkle of violent paranoia.  

16 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

At least with CTE you have research going on due to the focus that is on it right now.  In other encephalitis' you don't have that same dedication.  If you have ever dealt with anyone with encephalitis or encephalopathy, you would understand why people are in a full blown panic.  

The little that is know about encephalitis seems to indicate that it is often caused by viral infection.  CTE may be a contributor.   Any research on it, or any other debilitating  disease, or syndrome  is certainty welcome, but people flying off about something they, or any body  just doesn't understand, and creating a faux excepted belief is certainly not productive.

Using it as a cloak to give violently criminals a place to hide is ridiculous.  There were violent human animals long before there was the NFL 

1 hour ago, sciond said:

Sad what happens to these players money for health and life expectancy. Life is choices.

Not to long ago coal miners faced greater long term and daily risks for a lot less money, and most felt the risk was worth providing for their family. I'm not trying to diminish the significance of CTE, but it is now a known risk. And it does seem that a vast number of ex-players are not profoundly effected by it. I mean it seemed rare to find an ex-boxer who was not "punch drunk" (as they said in the day), but there seems to be plenty of ex NFL players commentating and such without showing significant effects from CTE.  I'm not saying I think it is worth the risk, but I can understand why someone else would feel that way.

I am also curious as to any connection between steroids and CTE because I don't recall any stories of ex player CTE type conduct until the players from the late 70s started to retire. I seem to recall more then one ex steeler lineman from that time having a terrible time with what was without doubt CTE, and I'm pretty sure those guys really roided it up in their playing days. 

10 minutes ago, flgreen said:

The little that is know about encephalitis seems to indicate that it is often caused by viral infection.  CTE may be a contributor.   Any research on it, or any other debilitating  disease, or syndrome  is certainty welcome, but people flying off about something they, or any body  just doesn't understand, and creating a faux excepted belief is certainly not productive.

Using it as a cloak to give violently criminals a place to hide is ridiculous.  There were violent human animals long before there was the NFL 

LOL.  Not true at all.  I think I will listen to the world class Johns Hopkins Neurologists I speak to, not some internet hack, sorry.  

The fact is, that a diagnosis of Encephalitis and Encelopathy of any kind should absolutely be part of criminal examination, just like any other medical condition would be.  The fact that there were violent humans long before the NFL is an idiotic statement in itself.  LOL.

By the way, not a single person on this site has used it as an excuse for the behavior.  They are just asking what impact it had.  It would be stupid to not ask that question.  If you had ever dealt with someone, on a daily basis, that had Encephalitis or Encelopathy, you would understand why.  Open up your eyes for a minute.

10 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Not to long ago coal miners faced greater long term and daily risks for a lot less money, and most felt the risk was worth providing for their family. I'm not trying to diminish the significance of CTE, but it is now a known risk. And it does seem that a vast number of ex-players are not profoundly effected by it. I mean it seemed rare to find an ex-boxer who was not "punch drunk" (as they said in the day), but there seems to be plenty of ex NFL players commentating and such without showing significant effects from CTE.  I'm not saying I think it is worth the risk, but I can understand why someone else would feel that way.

I am also curious as to any connection between steroids and CTE because I don't recall any stories of ex player CTE type conduct until the players from the late 70s started to retire. I seem to recall more then one ex steeler lineman from that time having a terrible time with what was without doubt CTE, and I'm pretty sure those guys really roided it up in their playing days. 

Classic case was Lyle Alzado.

13 minutes ago, sciond said:

Just like every cancer victim dies?

solid logic

Your post makes zero sense. At all. In any way.

But hey, swallow up everything dirtbag lawyer Jose Baez (the guy that defended Casey Anthony among others) has to say, including unsubstantiated and hype filled bullsh*t at a press conference as he tries to rationalize why his former client murderd multiple people. 

31 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

But hey, swallow up everything dirtbag lawyer Jose Baez (the guy that defended Casey Anthony among others) has to say, including unsubstantiated and hype filled bullsh*t at a press conference as he tries to rationalize why his former client murderd multiple people. 

Actually, it was a decent analogy.

Not everyone who has cancer dies, just like not everyone who has CTE kills someone.  Doesn't mean there isn't a correlation between the two.  

It goes further than that though.  The reaction towards CTE isn't all that different than it was towards cancer half a century ago.

Again, I havent heard anyone in this thread absolve anyone of wrongdoing.  We are just wondering what role it had.

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

First of all he was convicted on one murder which BTW was overturned due to pending appeal when he committed suicide.

Second the analogy is accurate, your viewpoint is jaded by hate. Let it go

Lastly the affect CTE has on people is not settled science so we really don't the impact on his actions/behavior. We don't even know when it started to have an affect on the individual and of course we can't diagnose a thing about it until after death.

Whether we like it or not it is becoming well documented that CTE is real and has been damaging to many peoples lives

3 hours ago, sciond said:

Very sad. 

Strange that you don't read more about football players going on killing sprees. In fact many that I see seem to be very nice well balanced people with careers as television personalities.

In fact it's strange that former football players seem to live longer healthier lives than many other professions. 

Just maybe this CTE thing is being blown out of proportion and we don't take all the facts in context. It seems possible to me. 

Oh and Someone explain to me why Hernandez was a psychopath back in Miami. I mean I don't feel bad for the Patriots for sure. There was a reason he dropped so far in the draft.

Now that I think about it it's not sad at all except for all the victims in Hernandez' life.   

1 hour ago, Butterfield said:

Actually, it was a decent analogy.

Not everyone who has cancer dies, just like not everyone who has CTE kills someone.  Doesn't mean there isn't a correlation between the two.  

It goes further than that though.  The reaction towards CTE isn't all that different than it was towards cancer half a century ago.

Again, I havent heard anyone in this thread absolve anyone of wrongdoing.  We are just wondering what role it had.

Almost no one the has CTE kills anyone. Maybe there's a correlation there. 

They know absolutely nothing about CTE or very close to it.

Just because the reaction towards cancer theorists turned out to be wrong does not mean that this is that.

There have been thousands of crazy theories throughout history that turned out to be just that. 

It's more likely that this is another than it is to be seeing CTE awareness marches 50 years from now. 

2 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Almost no one the has CTE kills anyone. Maybe there's a correlation there. 

They know absolutely nothing about CTE or very close to it.

Just because the reaction towards cancer theorists turned out to be wrong does not mean that this is that.

There have been thousands of crazy theories throughout history that turned out to be just that. 

It's more likely that this is another than it is to be seeing CTE awareness marches 50 years from now. 

Spoken like someone with absolutely no idea what they are talking about.  Lol.  Again, Ill listen to the world class neuroscientists at Johns Hopkins, that I speak to personally regarding the subject, over your dumb ass any day.  

27 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Spoken like someone with absolutely no idea what they are talking about.  Lol.  Again, Ill listen to the world class neuroscientists at Johns Hopkins, that I speak to personally regarding the subject, over your dumb ass any day.  

Are they like the world class Cardiologists that twisted and skewed studies on Statins that produced the highest profiting drug in the world - and the kicker its been proven it doesn't help.

Now I'm not saying there aren't world class doctors across all specialities that really are doing remarkable work in trying to heal people , but the old notion that doctor knows best is a dangerous paradigm to follow. 

5 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Are they like the world class Cardiologists that twisted and skewed studies on Statins that produced the highest profiting drug in the world - and the kicker its been proven it doesn't help.

Now I'm not saying there aren't world doctors across all specialities that really are doing remarkable work in trying to heal people , but the old notion that doctor knows best is a dangerous paradigm to follow. 

No you must trust the doctors and scientists. They're always right and they have no ulterior motives. 

Don't bring up the fact that they always state their theories as facts and are almost always proven wrong 20 years later. Then the scientists that proved them wrong are 100 percent sure that this time they're right.

Do not trust any theories that cannot be tested and predictive.  

31 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Well then, why dont you go do that. In the meamtime, Ill be here giving ZERO ****s for Aaron Hernandez.

9 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

No you must trust the doctors and scientists. They're always right and they have no ulterior motives. 

Don't bring up the fact that they always state their theories as facts and are almost always proven wrong 20 years later. Then the scientists that proved them wrong are 100 percent sure that this time they're right.

Bill Nye seems like a stand up guy to me.

35 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Lol.  No response required.

32 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Now I'm not saying there aren't world class doctors across all specialities that really are doing remarkable work in trying to heal people , but the old notion that doctor knows best is a dangerous paradigm to follow. 

Ill take their word over some tard on the internet.

59 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Very sad. 

Strange that you don't read more about football players going on killing sprees. In fact many that I see seem to be very nice well balanced people with careers as television personalities.

In fact it's strange that former football players seem to live longer healthier lives than many other professions. 

Just maybe this CTE thing is being blown out of proportion and we don't take all the facts in context. It seems possible to me. 

Oh and Someone explain to me why Hernandez was a psychopath back in Miami. I mean I don't feel bad for the Patriots for sure. There was a reason he dropped so far in the draft.

Now that I think about it it's not sad at all except for all the victims in Hernandez' life.   

We don't know when the CTE side affects start. My guess is everyone is different based on trauma. We don't know enough yer as I stated earlier it is not settle science yet. I had a friend who hd  trumatic brain injury a few years ago when he fell down some metal steps. A year ago he committed suicide. Coincidence....who knows.

Just now, sciond said:

We don't know when the CTE side affects start. My guess is everyone is different based on trauma. We don't know enough yer as I stated earlier it is not settle science yet. I had a friend who hd  trumatic brain injury a few years ago when he fell down some metal steps. A year ago he committed suicide. Coincidence....who knows.

Yes, but if they are trying to position to sue the NFL or even UF (deep pockets) for causing the CTE, they are going to have to deal with this tidbit:

"After just arriving at University of Florida where the 17-year-old Hernandez studied sociology and played tight end, he was arrested after a fight. According to Orlando Sentinel sports reporter Mike Bianchi, the young Hernandez was arrested for getting into a fight in front of a “local campus hangout known as The Swamp. Hernandez received a deferred prosecution.”

Sure, he had CTE, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a dirtbag before that.  The problem is, they aren't going to get much money from his Pop Warner league.  And let's not pretend this isn't all about the civil lawsuit to try to get someone to pony up the money that he might have earned if he wasn't a murderous scumbag.  

Archived