Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RoadFan

Aaron Hernandez had severe CTE

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Again so what? It is conceivable that almost ALL NFL players have CTE. Again, no correlation.

Not defending him. Just more worried about where the game is going. 

 

Lots St of people here complain about pussification of fame. Think it's only going to get worse 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
10 minutes ago, Bugg said:

At some point, what ever his mental state or impairment, Hernandez had free will to choose or not choose to be a thug. He knew enough to get into FSU and the NFL, he had to have a passing acquaintance with the difference between right and wrong. We know he shot 2 guys to death in an bar argument over nothing and then killed another guy who had been his friend. 

He did not go to FSU BTW

A couple of other things he was convicted of one murder acquitted of the others

You don't know the affects of CTE on his actions, nobody does. However we do know that there is definitely a causation between CTE nd behavior. How much it really affects it we don't know. At the end of the day we are all stating opinions.

However as I stated earlier someone close to me committed suicide who had a traumatic brain injury a few years earlier...I saw the changes and now he is gone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, sciond said:

He did not go to FSU BTW

A couple of other things he was convicted of one murder acquitted of the others

You don't know the affects of CTE on his actions, nobody does. However we do know that there is definitely a causation between CTE nd behavior. How much it really affects it we don't know. At the end of the day we are all stating opinions.

However as I stated earlier someone close to me committed suicide who had a traumatic brain injury a few years earlier...I saw the changes and now he is gone

Corrected-Florida. Acquitted is not the same as "innocent". 

Condolences. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bugg said:

Corrected-Florida. Acquitted is not the same as "innocent". 

It is in the eyes of the court. Regardless of what we think. So I believe he did it but legally he is innocent. I am also willing to bet there are more crimes we are unaware of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sciond said:

It is in the eyes of the court. Regardless of what we think. So I believe he did it but legally he is innocent. I am also willing to bet there are more crimes we are unaware of.

One thing about Hernandez very specifically; not many kids for the northeast get recruited to SEC football. He must have been one hell of a high school player for that to happen. There are some kids from good families or of good character or both that they are going to come out the other side, no problem(little we know about for example Deshaun Watson, seems like a great guy with a  level head). Bu there are others who get indulged and push the limits and get away with things every which way they can. Some small ways, some big. And in  this case, suspect Hernandez was allowed in high school and then in Florida to get away with a lot we have no idea about. And that carried over into his career with the Pats. Who knows; may be if he gets drafted by the Chargers and moves a continent away from his bad influences none of this happens. Or may be he finds more trouble. But if you had to pick one place that added to his issues, going to his old neighborhood did not help him at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sciond said:

It is in the eyes of the court. Regardless of what we think. So I believe he did it but legally he is innocent. I am also willing to bet there are more crimes we are unaware of.

He's not innocent in court of law

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

He's not innocent in court of law

technically no

 

Acquittal

The legal and formal certification of the innocence of a person who has been charged with a crime.

Acquittals in fact take place when a jury finds a verdict of not guilty. Acquittals in law take place by operation of law such as when a person has been charged as an Accessory to the crime of Robbery and the principal has been acquitted.

West's Encyclopedia of American Law, edition 2. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.

acquittal

n. what an accused criminal defendant receives if he/she is found not guilty. It is a verdict (a judgment in a criminal case) of not guilty. (See: acquit)

Copyright © 1981-2005 by Gerald N. Hill and Kathleen T. Hill. All Right reserved.

acquittal

noun absolutio, absolution, acquitment, acquittance, amnesty, clearance, compurgation, discharge, dismissal, exculpation, exoneration, favorable verdict, letting off, liberatio, liberation, pardon, purgation, quittance, release, remission, reprieve, restoration, verdict of not guilty, vindication
Associated concepts: acquittal by a jury
Foreign phrases: Paribus sententiis reus absolvitur.When the opinions are equal, where the court is equally divided, the defendant is acquitted.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bugg said:

One thing about Hernandez very specifically; not many kids for the northeast get recruited to SEC football. He must have been one hell of a high school player for that to happen. There are some kids from good families or of good character or both that they are going to come out the other side, no problem(little we know about for example Deshaun Watson, seems like a great guy with a  level head). Bu there are others who get indulged and push the limits and get away with things every which way they can. Some small ways, some big. And in  this case, suspect Hernandez was allowed in high school and then in Florida to get away with a lot we have no idea about. And that carried over into his career with the Pats. Who knows; may be if he gets drafted by the Chargers and moves a continent away from his bad influences none of this happens. Or may be he finds more trouble. But if you had to pick one place that added to his issues, going to his old neighborhood did not help him at all. 

NFL must know this and act accordingly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also those who are arguing whether or not the acquittal conferred innocence on Hernandez are missing the point.  

Hernandez is innocent under the law because a charge can not confer guilt on an individual; if it could then why have a trial?

An individual who is charged with a crime is presumed innocent under the law throughout the entire proceeding and the state must prove its case as to confer guilt and only the jury can confer guilt.  

Hence a person for example, need not take the stand in their own defense because you need not prove innocence.  

It may not seem like much but it is the world of difference say between the US system of jutice and say that of China for example, where you are assumed guilty and you are obligated, in most cases, to assist In your imprisonment.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Fixed that for you. 

 

As I said much earlier, before the holier than thou horsesh*t and name calling started, maybe "CTE" is a side effect that all people who didnt grow up in a bubble are susceptibile to later in life?

 

As to the comprison between "not all cancer patients die" and "not all those suffering from CTE murder people", are you really sticking to that? Really?

 

Whatever. I feel bad for whoever it is in your life suffering from AE, but your emotional, knee jerk attacks are out of place.

 

And bottom line? Regardless of cause or origin, Hernandez was a ruthless psychopath that the world is better a better place without.

Lol.  Again, you know absolutely nothing about the subject at hand.  You are an obtuse moron who continues to speak about things you dont even understand. 

As for other instanc s causing CTE, well, duh, obviously.  Just like not all cancer is caused by cigarettes.  We still researched the impact they had.  

And again, not a single person in this thread has absolved anyone of anything. Do you not understand that?  Not everything is as black and white as you would like it.  I for one want to continue to understand the role CTE has.  If you don't, why are you wasting your time here?  Go put a football helmet on a run yourself into a cement wall.  What bad could happen?  Moron.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Again so what? It is conceivable that almost ALL NFL players have CTE. Again, no correlation.

Yeah, we should just stop studying it now, since Johnnysd, said so.  Sorry, I think ill listen to actual neurologists that work on the subject, not some internet dumbass.  If I need help with pumping gas, Ill make sure to reach out to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, johnnysd said:

This thread is actually offensive because it IS a defense of a psychopathic multi murderer and there is no science here. At all. It is simply conjecture made upon selective causation. Just because someone commits acts of violence that has CTE does not in any way mean that the CTE caused it. In any population, you could pick any physical trait or illness and try and extrapolate a correlation. You could just as easily pick cleft chins, and in a selected sample "discover" that " a significant %" of people that stole lunch money from other kids in grammar school had cleft chins, so cleft chins CAUSE people to steal lunch money. It is voodoo science at its worst. and the issue is that the entire correlation based medical study concept is flawed. Statistical correlation to prove causation is a very slippery slope. Just by assuming that the correlation exists predisposes the study to find the correlation you are looking for. A doctor recently "proved' that ESP existed. Completely medically sound. But the significant thing about the study is it showed that many correlated causes of disease and other things are actually very suspect because of the entire methodology used.

You could find a 100 "reasons" for Hernandez being a psycho but there is no science showing it to be true. 

 

You have obvious reading comprehension issues.  Not a single person has defended him.  And your lack of knowledge regarding scientific study is appalling, seeing as you felt it necessary to comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Also those who are arguing whether or not the acquittal conferred innocence on Hernandez are missing the point.  

Hernandez is innocent under the law because a charge can not confer guilt on an individual; if it could then why have a trial?

An individual who is charged with a crime is presumed innocent under the law throughout the entire proceeding and the state must prove its case as to confer guilt and only the jury can confer guilt.  

Hence a person for example, need not take the stand in their own defense because you need not prove innocence.  

It may not seem like much but it is the world of difference say between the US system of jutice and say that of China for example, where you are assumed guilty and you are obligated, in most cases, to assist In your imprisonment.  

just-because-you-did-it-doesnt-mean-your

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Savage69 said:

just-because-you-did-it-doesnt-mean-your

Ummmm funny... :) 

But the point I made is still a salient one; just because you are arrested doesn't make you guilty and that is something all Americans should embrace and be proud of....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Butterfield said:

You have obvious reading comprehension issues.  Not a single person has defended him.  And your lack of knowledge regarding scientific study is appalling, seeing as you felt it necessary to comment.

You have only 180 posts in 2+ years and then come on here calling people that disagree with you names and freaking out and just being a general a$$hole? OK.

 

Maybe your personal connection to someone with a disease within the same field of neurodegenerative disease with similar symptoms but with a completely different cause from the various Taupathies (one of which is the proposed  CTE), doesn't allow you to discuss this matter in a dispassionate, objective manner without feeling a need to somehow defend your loved one from imagined attacks, or conflating that person and their condition with a murderer?

 

Go ahead and call me a moron or question my reading comp skills again if it makes you feel better.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2017 at 10:39 AM, RoadFan said:

Surprised nothing about this yet...

He was 23 when arrested and hadnt played organized football since.  23!  His CTE was the equivalent to what is expected of a player in his mid 60s.

How many others whose bizarre and violent behavior COULD, I stress could, be at least partially attributed to brain damage?  Guys like Chris Henry, Jovan Belcher, etc....

I am not a parent, but anxious to hear from some of you in this thread and anyone else that wishes to offer an opinion.  Except for Bruce Arians, that is..

So he joined the NFL got CTE and decided to join a gang of thugs and start killing people ? Screw him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

So he joined the NFL got CTE and decided to join a gang of thugs and start killing people ? Screw him

Another narrow mind that is unable to understand my point in context, no matter how gently and eloquent I explain it.

"Could... partially..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

You have only 180 posts in 2+ years and then come on here calling people that disagree with you names and freaking out and just being a general a$$hole? OK.

 

Maybe your personal connection to someone with a disease within the same field of neurodegenerative disease with similar symptoms but with a completely different cause from the various Taupathies (one of which is the proposed  CTE), doesn't allow you to discuss this matter in a dispassionate, objective manner without feeling a need to somehow defend your loved one from imagined attacks, or conflating that person and their condition with a murderer?

 

Go ahead and call me a moron or question my reading comp skills again if it makes you feel better.....

Lol, defensive much?  Just because you can copy and paste some jargon, doesn't make you any less of a moron.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The real problem with this business, is that there wasn't even a doubt..  Not even a single doubt, before he was diagnosed, that he in fact had it.  Several weeks ago when they announced they were doing an autopsy, it was the surest bet in the world what the result was going to be.

Now, we know that CTE correlates strongly with very significant and distressing behavioral changes (as reported by families).  So now we are just one hop skip and a jump away from the worrying statement that CTE actually contributes to or enhances sociopaths.   

Worse.  The defense in this case is going to be wonderfully hypocritical.  The NFL will argue (correctly), that Hernandez might have contracted CTE long before he ever entered the NFL and so they can't be held liable.  Namely he might have procured it in College or in high school (when his behavior first started to be noticeably different).  The problem with that, is that it tacitly accepts the fact that their game produces head trauma, when they've been busy denying it for the past twenty years.

This game is on borrowed time.  CTE likely exists in every NFL player in the league, and probably in many other sports as well.  It just sucks!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Savage69 said:

just-because-you-did-it-doesnt-mean-your

One attorney was famous for saying "The presumption of innocence attaches to a defendant upon his payment in full of a retainer".

Recall in my misspent youth as a lowly ADA a defense attorney explaining to the judge he was not ready for trial because a very important party to his client, Mr. Green, had not yet arrived. The adjournment was granted over my objection. I didn't understand then, but came to know when I switched sides how important Mr. Green was to the practice of criminal defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bugg said:

One attorney was famous for saying "The presumption of innocence attaches to a defendant upon his payment in full of a retainer".

Recall in my misspent youth as a lowly ADA a defense attorney explaining to the judge he was not ready for trial because a very important party to his client, Mr. Green, had not yet arrived. The adjournment was granted over my objection. I didn't understand then, but came to know when I switched sides how important Mr. Green was to the practice of criminal defense.

Yes people seem to forget that judges are lawyers with robes on as are the law makers. 

They are going to protect their profession. They will make you pay for any procedural mistakes you make. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×