Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RoadFan

Aaron Hernandez had severe CTE

Recommended Posts

Surprised nothing about this yet...

He was 23 when arrested and hadnt played organized football since.  23!  His CTE was the equivalent to what is expected of a player in his mid 60s.

How many others whose bizarre and violent behavior COULD, I stress could, be at least partially attributed to brain damage?  Guys like Chris Henry, Jovan Belcher, etc....

I am not a parent, but anxious to hear from some of you in this thread and anyone else that wishes to offer an opinion.  Except for Bruce Arians, that is..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
14 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I would also like to know how many of those tested for CTE also ingested copius amounts of steroids.

Bingo!!! Been saying this for years. What is the connection between steroids and CTE? Also, I'm a bit skeptical of this report since the lawsuit is on the behalf of his daughter. Sounds like a money grab.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CTE doesn't become even the slightest bit of an excuse for being a multiple murderer.

As far as the linkage between football and CTE, literally every study on the topic has been cited as having statistical bias.  The only people ever tested have always been those already believed to have some sort of neurological disorders.

Not to say there is absolutely no linkage at all, but many of the recent claims lack any real evidence to support them, and attempts to put a game at fault for the actions of human piles of trash is a sad state of affairs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Anyone who tries to absolve this scumbag of his accountability as a scum sucking murderer is getting a negrep.  

Unfortunately, there isn't an appropriate rep for someone that doesn't understand what is meant by COULD.  Or someone that fails to acknowledge that a correlation between brain damage and behavior is certainly possible.

In your sad case, both...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Head trauma causes brain damage. Brain damage has the ability to change behavior. Any objective observation of the possibility of this happening shouldn't be taken as excuse making or blame. Studying the variables of why things happen is a good thing. 

Thank you...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I know the guy on the Chiefs who killed his girlfriend and then himself and had CTE had no criminal record. But Hernandez did. Like with gangs. And as for suicides don't forget Junior Seau and there were others. This is an issue that could eventually kill football. Already one major ESPN football commentator has quit due to this. And many current football players won't allow their sons to play tackle football. We might in the future in the US develop a lot more great soccer players. As for me I used to be a big boxing fan until I saw what ex fighters looked like including guys like Ali and Joe Frazier. So I gave up being a boxing fan. As for football I question myself as to why I'm still a football fan and watch any kind of football game on TV including Arena football (which isn't a good sport). I think it's because I'm too brainwashed and set in my ways to change on that. Look just about everyone loves football. But nobody loves the brain injuries. And knows how to deal with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Head trauma causes brain damage. Brain damage has the ability to change behavior. Any objective observation of the possibility of this happening shouldn't be taken as excuse making or blame. Studying the variables of why things happen is a good thing. 

The studies themselves have value to them, and it's always worthwhile to make any determinations that there are.

However, what has actually been determined to this point does not align with the claims repeatedly made.  The string of lawsuits and dramatic media coverage is in absolutely no way objective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe all humans have "CTE"? LOL 

 

Give me a ******* break. He was a dirtbag, and he is represented by the biggest piece of sh*t scumbag lawyer in the world looking to make $$ off of the NFL. 

By the way, Casey Anthony is still shacked up with an "investigator" from Baez firm and lives in West Palm.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bleedin Green said:

The studies themselves have value to them, and it's always worthwhile to make any determinations that there are.

However, what has actually been determined to this point does not align with the claims repeatedly made.  The string of lawsuits and dramatic media coverage is in absolutely no way objective.

Forget the media coverage.  Ask a neurologist... 

I have talked to two of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

The studies themselves have value to them, and it's always worthwhile to make any determinations that there are.

However, what has actually been determined to this point does not align with the claims repeatedly made.  The string of lawsuits and dramatic media coverage is in absolutely no way objective.

Breaking News: Internet people upset with media coverage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Forget the media coverage.  Ask a neurologist... 

I have talked to two of them. 

 

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Breaking News: Internet people upset with media coverage. 

The media is always over-dramatic, that's not unexpected.  The issue is the conclusions being drawn by many on this topic are based on incorrect information being taken from "reports".  There has been a lot of varying results to this point, and plenty more still needs to be figured out.  There have been some attempts to blame CTE for athletes behavior when the results later found the person didn't have it.  Other instances of it appearing for people with no history of serious physical activities.  The whole basis of this still has a lot of unanswered questions.

Once again, the issue that still stands is for anyone paying attention, every study done has been conceded by those running it to have a statistical bias.  None of this means it needs to be ignored, and plenty more needs to be researched, but a great deal of the conclusions being drawn by the masses lack the scientific support it is claimed exists.  I'm not even trying to defend the NFL here, because screw them, but this is one of the most recent topics that have been grasped onto by many without even understanding it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

Surprised nothing about this yet...

He was 23 when arrested and hadnt played organized football since.  23!  His CTE was the equivalent to what is expected of a player in his mid 60s.

How many others whose bizarre and violent behavior COULD, I stress could, be at least partially attributed to brain damage?  Guys like Chris Henry, Jovan Belcher, etc....

I am not a parent, but anxious to hear from some of you in this thread and anyone else that wishes to offer an opinion.  Except for Bruce Arians, that is..

Wonder how much of his CTE was attributable to football vs. his history of violence.  It's probably safe to assume that Hernandez had been hit in the head a few times outside of game of football in the course of his lifetime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually blame football for me getting banned so many times. I am sure I have bad CTE from so many years of football, and that is what causes me to get banned all the time. Half the posts I make I don't even know I am making them. Of course that could also be MPD too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

Surprised nothing about this yet...

He was 23 when arrested and hadnt played organized football since.  23!  His CTE was the equivalent to what is expected of a player in his mid 60s.

How many others whose bizarre and violent behavior COULD, I stress could, be at least partially attributed to brain damage?  Guys like Chris Henry, Jovan Belcher, etc....

I am not a parent, but anxious to hear from some of you in this thread and anyone else that wishes to offer an opinion.  Except for Bruce Arians, that is..

I do not buy this CTE crap at all in terms of Hernandez....he was always a thug, and the declarations of his level of CTE are not verified

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

I played football from 8 years old to 35 years old. My father played, my brother played. I absolutely will not let my son play football. That statement would have been blasphemy to me 10 years ago. Now its reality. I am pushing him into other sports. They all have their share of risks, I am just not willing to let my kids play football at any level.

As a parent that is your absolute right and I can understand where you come from.  I'll ask you this question though, do you let your kids eat GMO foods , drink flouridated water , overuse cellphones ?? Because there's tons of studies out there on these things that at the moment have much better analysis, controls and sample sizes then the flawed CTE study.

As I've been saying for years living causes dying , it comes down to what risks we believe in and which ones we conveniently sweep under the rug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

The media is always over-dramatic, that's not unexpected.  The issue is the conclusions being drawn by many on this topic are based on incorrect information being taken from "reports".  There has been a lot of varying results to this point, and plenty more still needs to be figured out.  There have been some attempts to blame CTE for athletes behavior when the results later found the person didn't have it.  Other instances of it appearing for people with no history of serious physical activities.  The whole basis of this still has a lot of unanswered questions.

Once again, the issue that still stands is for anyone paying attention, every study done has been conceded by those running it to have a statistical bias.  None of this means it needs to be ignored, and plenty more needs to be researched, but a great deal of the conclusions being drawn by the masses lack the scientific support it is claimed exists.  I'm not even trying to defend the NFL here, because screw them, but this is one of the most recent topics that have been grasped onto by many without even understanding it.

People like simple explanations because 1) makes it easy to understand and 2) provides the illusion of control.  You want the most simple one?  The greatest predictor of violent behavior is prior violent behavior.  Interestingly, the greatest predictor of a parolee re-offending is giving them a maze and telling them to complete it without picking up a pencil.  Those that do, are significantly less likely to re-offend than those who pick of their pencil.  But, we certainly aren't going to legislate based on that.

Ultimately, these things are multiply determined.  Even if studies show conclusive evidence linking football, cte, and violence, you'll never be able to look at an isolated incident and blame football or cte for an individuals violent behaviors.  Hernandez is no different.  Lots of factors.  But, try getting people to accept that things are complex... Much easier to say that he's just pure evil, or, if you need a little more modern thought in your singular attributions, that football/cte made him do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Wonder how much of his CTE was attributable to football vs. his history of violence.  It's probably safe to assume that Hernandez had been hit in the head a few times outside of game of football in the course of his lifetime.

Or possibly a headboard? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

As a parent that is your absolute right and I can understand where you come from.  I'll ask you this question though, do you let your kids eat GMO foods , drink flouridated water , overuse cellphones ?? Because there's tons of studies out there on these things that at the moment have much better analysis, controls and sample sizes then the flawed CTE study.

As I've been saying for years living causes dying , it comes down to what risks we believe in and which ones we conveniently sweep under the rug.

In short, I do make an effort to try to keep my kids as healthy, and safe, as I can within reason. But your point is of course valid and I agree. I also think we don't have a ton of data on certain things either, so we have to go with intuition and gut feel. GMO's and cell phones/tablets most likely do have negative ramifications, and I do try to mitigate them as much as possible. But eating some corn seems intuitively a bit safer than playing football to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

In short, I do make an effort to try to keep my kids as healthy, and safe, as I can within reason. But your point is of course valid and I agree. I also think we don't have a ton of data on certain things either, so we have to go with intuition and gut feel. GMO's and cell phones/tablets most likely do have negative ramifications, and I do try to mitigate them as much as possible. But eating some corn seems intuitively a bit safer than playing football to me.

We would hope so, but I'm not so certain. We've seen unprecedented upticks in diabetes, autoimmune diseases ,cancers, alzheimer's  etc..  Our bodies are amazing machines but they are still evolving to handle the onslaught of artificial stimulus and chemicals  that  we're being bombarded with today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

We would hope so, but I'm not so certain. We've seen unprecedented upticks in diabetes, autoimmune diseases ,cancers, alzheimer's  etc..  Our bodies are amazing machines but they are still evolving to handle the onslaught of artificial stimulus and chemicals  that  we're being bombarded with today.

There are a lot of highly correlated issues going on that could be contributing to that, and a bit of chicken vs. the egg. I am not arguing with you, but kids for the past few decades have been more sedentary and eating more sugar and crap than ever before, leading to insane obesity rates, and also leading to much of what you are referencing above. But who knows, maybe corn is more dangerous than playing football, I am not saying its impossible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

As a parent that is your absolute right and I can understand where you come from.  I'll ask you this question though, do you let your kids eat GMO foods , drink flouridated water , overuse cellphones ?? Because there's tons of studies out there on these things that at the moment have much better analysis, controls and sample sizes then the flawed CTE study.

As I've been saying for years living causes dying , it comes down to what risks we believe in and which ones we conveniently sweep under the rug.

My kids are not allowed to play football. although we do martial arts

No GMO's whenever possible, wired headphones for cell phone, no fluoride in toothpaste or water, oh and UV clothes and sunblock.

OK so I am bit paranoid...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×