This is how far we are from the #1 Pick...

southtown24th

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, southtown24th said:

I don't understand how players can't develop if they aren't winning games...how does that work exactly?  In your profession, are you not working and learning if you aren't the best person in your position/role/team every single year? Are you not making mistakes, learning on the fly, thinking on your feet, solving problems, GAINING VALUABLE EXPERIENCE if you are not the best?  I would beg to differ.

Personally, I am in business development/sales.  That is like saying I am not working/learning/gaining experience/getting better if I don't win a sales award each year.

I hate to ruin your narrative but, the young talent is learning/developing/gaining valuable experience every single time they snap the football...WIN OR LOSE.

I don't think I said players can't develop through losing... If I did infer that I didn't mean it that way.

Players CAN develop without winning games, for sure. But, if they're good enough they will develop AND win... It doesn't always go hand in hand but it does happen! And the better they player, the better the odds it happens! I want those kinds of players on the team now if we have them!

I simply don't think you can ask players to develop and NOT win... Or you can't ask them to develop but then get mad when they click... I don't get that.

I don't think you can both root for a team to tank but also for all our young players to develop. That's asking for your cake and eating it too. If you want the Jets to have succeeded in some respects in the last couple drafts and have talent on-board already then you can't get bummed and upset if that talent surprises and grows on the field.

My feeling is if someone wants the Jets to tank and lose and have no shot this year, then they want them to be completely devoid of all talent, developing or otherwise... Because then things like the Miami game don't happen... And if that's what people want; then ok! That's what you want! You wan't that 1st pick and that QB

But then you can't turn around and be upset later when it still takes the Jets 3+ years to try and build a winning team after next year. You can't get mad that there's no talent around Sam (or whoever), because you essentially asked for that to get him. You can't curse Mac's name for not bringing people in... Because you NEEDED him to fail to get that 1st pick. And I just don't get that. 

So again, if that's what people want and if that's what they're cool with - then have at it! But for me I want there to be strong talent on this team now. Because who knows what's out there in the future? I want the Jets to have pieces in place from these last couple of drafts because that's something we can tangibly see! 

The #1 pick was always a shot in the dark. The Jets are better/have always been better than they are being given credit for. They've always been a 4-6 win team but we are all very familiar with how the media likes to pile it on.

We will most likely end with a top 10 pick, top 5 even... but we were never getting the #1 pick. 

9 hours ago, jack48 said:

cutler essentially said the dolphs took the Jets lightly.  Probably been reading this blog.

Cutler was as off as I have ever seen a QB. I don't think I can remember a QB missing his receivers by 5 yards so many times in a game. Not sure if they took the Jets lightly or if they are just bad.

26 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Cutler was as off as I have ever seen a QB. I don't think I can remember a QB missing his receivers by 5 yards so many times in a game. Not sure if they took the Jets lightly or if they are just bad.

some of it was pass pressure.  But some of it was the usual Cutler garbage.

23 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

They are signing Cousins, then drafting Barkley.

I can't see the Niners signing Cousins for $28M long term when Darnold and Rosen have much higher ceilings and can be had for a rookie contract.

25 minutes ago, Pcola said:

I can't see the Niners signing Cousins for $28M long term when Darnold and Rosen have much higher ceilings and can be had for a rookie contract.

I can when the HC groomed Cousins in Washington and loves him. He knows what he is as far as proven commodity. Whereas, any rookie I don't care how well touted by scouts can be the next Ryan Leaf / JaMarcus Russell. 

46 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I can when the HC groomed Cousins in Washington and loves him. He knows what he is as far as proven commodity. Whereas, any rookie I don't care how well touted by scouts can be the next Ryan Leaf / JaMarcus Russell. 

What has Cousins done in his career to warrant his contracts?  Both HC and GM are in for the long haul.  Why blow your cap on a QB that right now is average at best?  He's not in Stafford or Matt Ryan, let alone Aaron Rodgers.  What are the odds that he improves that much?  And how much greater are those odds over taken Darnold or Rosen?  

If you draft your QB you can use the Cap to surround him with stars.  If you sign Cousins, he is your star and he better elevate everyone around him.  

14 minutes ago, Pcola said:

What has Cousins done in his career to warrant his contracts?  Both HC and GM are in for the long haul.  Why blow your cap on a QB that right now is average at best?  He's not in Stafford or Matt Ryan, let alone Aaron Rodgers.  What are the odds that he improves that much?  And how much greater are those odds over taken Darnold or Rosen?  

If you draft your QB you can use the Cap to surround him with stars.  If you sign Cousins, he is your star and he better elevate everyone around him.  

Im not saying I'd pay him that $. I don't want the Jets to sign Cousins. But, Shanahan has lauded Cousins in the past and said hes a qb you can win a super bowl with.

Archived