Trends To Watch

KRL

One win doesn't change the fact that the team is still rebuilding and trying to build a young
core going forward.  But through the first three games there are some trends that bear watching:

- The offensive staff has shown an ability to adjust on the fly to get the offense stabilized.
Whether it's been using 6-7 OLinemen to establish the run or TE & FB to chip pass rushers

- The OLine (all 28 and under) has been very good in pass protection and improving in run
blocking.  And the fact that the staff has mixed and matched them in various aligments shows
we may actually have depth

- The TE position could actually be a big time strength with Seferian-Jenkins, Tye and Leggett
(once healthy).  The inline blocking of the position has surprised me

- The acquisition of Kearse the continued development of Anderson and the flashes Stewart show
give me hope for a nice corps of WR.  But the staff MUST use Stewart & Hansen more, if we have
those four and a healthy Enunwa next year we may have something

- Forte looks slower than last year, Powell and McGuire need to be the primary RB's going forward

- Will the defense continue to stay true to their assignments?  They absolutely detroyed MIA who
has a lot of weapons and a good OLine just by doing their jobs.  Can they keep it up?  Because it's
amazing how good our ILB's looked once everyone maintained their gaps and tackled.  It's also crucial
because a sound defense allows Adams to be used all over the field as highlighted in Cimini's
article:

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/71559/rookie-jamal-adams-here-there-and-everywhere-in-jets-win

7 minutes ago, KRL said:

One win doesn't change the fact that the team is still rebuilding and trying to build a young
core going forward.  But through the first three games there are some trends that bear watching:

- The offensive staff has shown an ability to adjust on the fly to get the offense stabilized.
Whether it's been using 6-7 OLinemen to establish the run or TE & FB to chip pass rushers

- The OLine (all 28 and under) has been very good in pass protection and improving in run
blocking.  And the fact that the staff has mixed and matched them in various aligments shows

- The TE position could actually be a big time strength with Seferian-Jenkins, Tye and Leggett

- The acquisition of Kearse the continued development of Anderson and the flashes Stewart show
give me hope for a nice corps of WR.  But the staff MUST use Stewart & Hansen more, if we have

- Forte looks slower than last year, Powell and McGuire need to be the primary RB's going forward

- Will the defense continue to stay true to their assignments?  They absolutely detroyed MIA who
has a lot of weapons and a good OLine just by doing their jobs.  Can they keep it up?  Because it's
amazing how good our ILB's got once everyone maintained their gaps and tackled.  It's also crucial
because a sound defense allows Adams to be used all over the field as highlighted in Cimini's
article:

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/71559/rookie-jamal-adams-here-there-and-everywhere-in-jets-win

It makes you think what the mood around here would be IF the QB who started this game was 25 instead of 38.

19 minutes ago, KRL said:

give me hope for a nice corps of WR.  But the staff MUST use Stewart & Hansen more
, if we have

amazing how good our ILB's looked once everyone maintained their gaps and tackled.  It's also crucial
article:

Nice job on this, sir. I agree with everything here. I think that Stewart and Hansen have to be on the field all year, as I have said before. Stewart just has something about him that says he isn't scared of anything and seems to be a tough scrappy WR. Hansen has some freak ability, he needs the playing time to adapt, also for the QB to learn how to use him.

FORTE.... trade this guy. I liked the Forte pick-up but it is clear that Powell and McGuire have a lot more to offer. Powell should be starting and McGuire has shown enough that he should be getting 25-35% of the touches behind Powell at minimum.

40 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

Give Macc a little credit for the MacDougle trade, I know it's one game but everyone killed that trade when it happened thinking McDougle was the next Revis.  He's barely played for Philly, and Brooks made a huge impact yesterday, plus he's only 25.  

Brooks had a nice game. 

Nice thread, KRL. You really do a ton to elevate the football talk around here, and you deserve credit. Thank you.

I have to say, the first two defenses we faced we're pretty damn good. We're likely to see less than a handful of games going forward with that kind of formidable D. If this offense can get a run game going...the news of our tanking may be a bit exaggerated. 

30 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

It makes you think what the mood around here would be IF the QB who started this game was 25 instead of 38.

One's not ready and the other one can't stay healthy .  2 years ago, Geno Smith was the projected starting QB of the jets until IK broke his jaw and Fitz became the starter . Fitz went on to lead the Jets to a 10 win season before falling flat on his face the following season while surrounded by a veteran over the hill over paid bunch of self entitle players . This season, an injury may have taken the starting job from Bryce Petty who was having a solid preseason and given it to Josh McCown who is doing exactly what he was signed to do .

The key to the future of this franchise will be the ability to bench a QB who's playing well so you can gauge what Petty will be going forward . 

14 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

One's not ready and the other one can't stay healthy .  2 years ago, Geno Smith was the projected starting QB of the jets until IK broke his jaw and Fitz became the starter . Fitz went on to lead the Jets to a 10 win season before falling flat on his face the following season while surrounded by a veteran over the hill over paid bunch of self entitle players . This season, an injury may have taken the starting job from Bryce Petty who was having a solid preseason and given it to Josh McCown who is doing exactly what he was signed to do .

The key to the future of this franchise will be the ability to bench a QB who's playing well so you can gauge what Petty will be going forward . 

I don't see Bowles having the balls, or the wherewithal to do this like the Giants did with Warner for Eli, thou Eli was the 1st overall pick, and we are talking about a 4th rounder.

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

I don't see Bowles having the balls, or the wherewithal to do this like the Giants did with Warner for Eli, thou Eli was the 1st overall pick, and we are talking about a 4th rounder.

It's also a 4th rounder who go a chance last year and looked pretty bad in the process, plus has 3+ injuries on his record in very minimal amounts of playing time.

Don't get me wrong, I would be in favor of Petty getting another shot, and I still believe it will happen at some point in this season, barring some completely shocking run of wins that has the Jets in playoff contention (which I can't imagine happening).  That said, it's still not as simple and straight forward as we all like to pretend that it is.  They were clearly much more willing to do that for Hackenberg, mostly thanks to a combination of a higher pick and not yet having had a shot, but that obviously did not come close to working out.

In all likelihood, once either the Jets are out of contention, or McCown gets hurts, Petty will get his second chance.  That might take longer than many fans are hoping, but the unfortunate reality is the Jets are likely already convinced their QB of the future isn't on this roster, so aren't in such a rush.

5 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

It's also a 4th rounder who go a chance last year and looked pretty bad in the process, plus has 3+ injuries on his record in very minimal amounts of playing time.

Don't get me wrong, I would be in favor of Petty getting another shot, and I still believe it will happen at some point in this season, barring some completely shocking run of wins that has the Jets in playoff contention (which I can't imagine happening).  That said, it's still not as simple and straight forward as we all like to pretend that it is.  They were clearly much more willing to do that for Hackenberg, mostly thanks to a combination of a higher pick and not yet having had a shot, but that obviously did not come close to working out.

In all likelihood, once either the Jets are out of contention, or McCown gets hurts, Petty will get his second chance.  That might take longer than many fans are hoping, but the unfortunate reality is the Jets are likely already convinced their QB of the future isn't on this roster, so aren't in such a rush.

After watching the Jags D the last few weeks Petty better be ready to play next week.

49 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

LOL it is amazing how much better things look when we win

The fact that the defense played well and the scheme worked is very inspiring.  If it can play like that, even in defeat, Bowles could keep his job.

I was always expecting that the defense could be decent/good (but not that good-mainly because of the CB play) and that the offense would struggle.  

I know I thought the Dolphins were going to win, and win big.  I was wrong.  That is a funny team-they underpunch their weight.

6 hours ago, KRL said:

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, who dropped about 32 pounds in the offseason, said today, "It's like playing in a whole different body." In his season debut yesterday, he caught five passes and played in 48 of 63 snaps on offense. He also was pleased with his improvement as a run blocker.

2 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

LOL it is amazing how much better things look when we win

It wasn't even that they got the win, I would've been excited even if they lost. They just looked a whole lot better yesterday and played with a different energy to them, exactly what you want to see with a young team. Let's hope they keep it going and not get smacked around by Jacksonville. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Amazing to me that powell was nit the #1 back going into this year.  He produced last year, he produce big plays in camp he's imply a better runner than forte.

he would have had 2 snaps if forte didn't get hurt.  it can't be production, powell looked great on the huge run called back.  at least i can see why they are playing mccown, he's playing pretty well.  there is no performance-based reason to play forte so much more than powell, particularly since forte averaged 3.7 ypc last year while powell was 5.5.

IMG_5026.jpg

One win doesn’t change the fact that the team is still rebuilding and trying to build a young core going forward.  But through the first three games there are some trends that bear watching:

– The offensive staff has shown an ability to adjust on the fly to get the offense stabilized. Whether it’s been using 6-7 OLinemen to establish the run or TE & FB to chip pass rushers.

– The OLine (all 28 and under) has been very good in pass protection and improving in run blocking.  And the fact that the staff has mixed and matched them in various aliments shows we may actually have depth.

– The TE position could actually be a big time strength with Seferian-Jenkins, Tye and Leggett (once healthy).  The inline blocking of the position has surprised me.

– The acquisition of Kearse the continued development of Anderson and the flashes Stewart show give me hope for a nice corps of WR.  But the staff MUST use Stewart & Hansen more, if we have those four and a healthy Enunwa next year we may have something.

– Forte looks slower than last year, Powell and McGuire need to be the primary RB’s going forward.

– Will the defense continue to stay true to their assignments?  They absolutely detroyed MIA who has a lot of weapons and a good OLine just by doing their jobs.  Can they keep it up?  Because it’s amazing how good our ILB’s looked once everyone maintained their gaps and tackled. It’s also crucial because a sound defense allows Adams to be used all over the field as highlighted in Cimini’s article.

Jets fans are discussing the trends to watch in our NY Jets forum.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
4gC2sDNWxiY

Click here to read the full story...

42 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

It wasn't even that they got the win, I would've been excited even if they lost. They just looked a whole lot better yesterday and played with a different energy to them, exactly what you want to see with a young team. Let's hope they keep it going and not get smacked around by Jacksonville. 

If this weekend didn't prove you cant go by what a team did last week, I don't know what to tell you. In preseason the word was Bortles was gonna lose his job to Henne. Now hes the next coming,lol. Miamis skill players are just as good as the Jags & they lost Robinson for the year. Move the chains, protect the ball, stop the run, play physical like you did against Miami.

Yesterday....Oakland is gonna kill the Skins! nope, Broncos will win easy...nope, Steelers will surely kill the Bears...nope, Miami vs Jets? LOCK for Miami...nope. Pressure Bortles, home D always gets off the ball faster at home. Brooks was awesome, Adams, Maye that's a nice trifecta to move around. Little more McGuire bursts & Stewart on offense. Scare them with Anderson, open the middle for ASJ. Really liking Morton, baby steps but progress. Go Jets.

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

agreed 100%

9 hours ago, drsamuel84 said:

Give Macc a little credit for the MacDougle trade, I know it's one game but everyone killed that trade when it happened thinking McDougle was the next Revis.  He's barely played for Philly, and Brooks made a huge impact yesterday, plus he's only 25.  

Literally NOBODY thought McDouble was the next Revis. 

Nobody.

9 hours ago, Stark said:

Nice job on this, sir. I agree with everything here. I think that Stewart and Hansen have to be on the field all year, as I have said before. Stewart just has something about him that says he isn't scared of anything and seems to be a tough scrappy WR. Hansen has some freak ability, he needs the playing time to adapt, also for the QB to learn how to use him.

FORTE.... trade this guy. I liked the Forte pick-up but it is clear that Powell and McGuire have a lot more to offer. Powell should be starting and McGuire has shown enough that he should be getting 25-35% of the touches behind Powell at minimum.

I believe Forte's involvement in the offense is specifically geared towards showing usefulness to encourage a trade. You can't just trade someone if there's no offers.

I am sure that they would love to trade Forte.  I value him a little more than most around here.  I think he has been dinged all year, first with the knee, now with the toe.  He got some yards against the Raiders FWIW.  They signed him to take Ivory's place and provide stability at RB and a reliable pass catcher.  IMO he still is all of that without being particularly dynamic.  I don't see why he can't fulfill a Richie Anderson, Shane Vereen role somewhere, but it is going to be tough sledding to pry anything away from another team.

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am sure that they would love to trade Forte.  I value him a little more than most around here.  I think he has been dinged all year, first with the knee, now with the toe.  He got some yards against the Raiders FWIW.  They signed him to take Ivory's place and provide stability at RB and a reliable pass catcher.  IMO he still is all of that without being particularly dynamic.  I don't see why he can't fulfill a Richie Anderson, Shane Vereen role somewhere, but it is going to be tough sledding to pry anything away from another team.

There were even rumors week 1 that he was up for trade. Guess no one bit or just didn't offer enough to warrant his cap hit.

12 hours ago, KRL said:

Getting a true fullback could really help too.  Someone to open up running lanes and also can get out for quick passes.

12 hours ago, KRL said:

Really want to see Stewart and Hansen get on the field a bit more.  Perhaps getting them the ball on simple wide screen passes, just to get touches.

12 hours ago, KRL said:

Though a small sample size so far but McGuire is more exciting to watch than both Forte and Powell.  Would also like to see Powell and McGuire more involved in the passing game.

20 hours ago, Tinstar said:

As Spock would say 'Would be logical for that to transpire'. But this is Mac's version of Saving Face Football.  Get your pipe out for your pipe dream. It ain't happening. 

Archived