Jets fans getting a bad rap

Maxman

22 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Yeah, you're right. Clearly the offering of things to do in Cleveland, Buffalo, Green Bay, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Tampa Bay, Detroit, etc. is on par with New York City. Nothing like going to Kansas City for the weekend to watch Friday night Pro Hockey, Saturday night Basketball, and then Sunday football at Arrowhead!

I remember flying into Chicago, driving 4 hours up to Green Bay to watch Hamilton in the Park in December. That was the best weekend I've ever had.

Thank you for personifying a perfect example of the massive egomanic New Yorker who thinks the rest of the country is some cursed earth wasteland.

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

This Thread = :rolleyes:  Talk about self-serving back patting.....may as well have titled the thread "We Are So Great!"

Folks outside of New Yawk can see pretty clearly the differences between a Jets Crowd, and the better NFL fanbase Crowds out there.

I know, New Yorkers are special snowflakes (who have to think of themselves as better than everyone else at everything), and they have better things to do (well, of course they do), and aren't they just special.:rolleyes:

Sorry, negrep all you like, Jets Fans as a whole are no better than any other fanbase, and in many ways are worse than quite a few others.  It's not bias or "hate" when the seemingly annual rating of fanbases puts the Jets where they put them (i.e. not at the top).  It's just the truth.  

Whats funny is that folks will read this, and think it's aimed at them personally (another New Yawker sterotype, everything is about them personally). Clearly the folks who post 100 posts a day at a Jets site are "good fans", folks who watch every play, and attend every game, are good fans.

Jet Nation's couple hundred posters =/= the NY Jets Fanbase as a Whole.

Inbeforetheflames!

Well most of this is your opinion, which I don't agree with, so we don't have to go over any of that.

I do need to clear up the bolded part. We might have 400 or so people posting per day, but we have over 10,000 unique visits. Just wanted to clear that part up.  :)

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Well most of this is your opinion, which I don't agree with, so we don't have to go over any of that.

/tip of the cap to Max.  

I do need to clear up the bolded part. We might have 400 or so people posting per day, but we have over 10,000 unique visits. Just wanted to clear that part up.  :)

Aye, was meant as a generalization, not an insult in any form old friend. 

The point was simply that 10,000 posters (all over the world, not just in NY) =/= 20,000,000 people who live in the "Tri-State" area.

Just now, Warfish said:

/tip of the cap to Max.  

Aye, was meant as a generalization, not an insult in any form old friend. 

The point was simply than 10,000 posters (all over the world, not just in NY) =/= 20,000,000 people who live in the "Tri-State" area.

I just really was trying to work in the stat lol.

6 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

Yeah, you're right. Clearly the offering of things to do in Cleveland, Buffalo, Green Bay, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Tampa Bay, Detroit, etc. is on par with New York City. Nothing like going to Kansas City for the weekend to watch Friday night Pro Hockey, Saturday night Basketball, and then Sunday football at Arrowhead!

I remember flying into Chicago, driving 4 hours up to Green Bay to watch Hamilton in the Park in December. That was the best weekend I've ever had.

I live in Charlotte NC, after 34 years in NYC.  Charlotte is an awesome place to live. so is Tampa.  NYErs seem to have your take, that's fine.  BUT.....  I know of no NYErs here who regret the move.   There are probably a few hundred thousand here in Charlotte. 

YES...  I miss good jazz in NYC, Broadway but I don't miss the commute, taxes, traffic, regulation.  

THats made up for with a great job, 5 minute commute, many other great things. 

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

Thank you for personifying a perfect example of the massive egomanic New Yorker who thinks the rest of the country is some cursed earth wasteland.

Yes, you have made it exceedingly clear how very personally familiar you are with the condescending, holier-than -thou attitude.  Well done.

11 hours ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

Well said, BTW I think I know you, I sat in the Mezzanine at Shea and the uppers at Giants and remember the guy who moved to Michigan and flew in for the home games.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Could be bro. I sat in the Mezz at Shea and in Section 325 in the Meadowlands. There was a guy who sat in our section who was the originator of the J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS chant before Fireman Ed. To Ed's credit he even acknowledged this during an interview on TV. The guy wore the #1 Jersey with DIEHARD on the nameplate. Good Times back then and good memories. State Trooper by any chance?

On 9/25/2017 at 8:08 PM, Fibonacci said:

As people know, I am in the Tank camp. Lose every game and secure the top pick. Time to come clean. I didn't even know I was gonna go to this game. Sunday morning I saw the post @Jetsfanri made in the tickets forum. He was offering his tix for free. He started the thread on Saturday night around 9 PM but nobody claimed them. So I claimed them Sunday morning around 9:30 AM. Problem was he had 2 tickets. I called two of my friends to take with me. They said they can't make it due to commitments. So I ended up taking up my son. This was his first ever Jets game. I parked my car at Redd's restaurant and took the shuttle. There were a ton of Dolphins fans and some were cocky. 

At that point my blood started to boil. When we got to our seats I saw a lot of Dolphins fans in the stands. They started chanting Let's Go Dolphins before the game and chanted Defense when Jets were on offense. Man I was pissed. I started rooting for the Jets to win like hell. I didn't care about the tank at that point. It was great to see the Jets win and Dolphins fans going home crushed. All in all, a great football experience for my son and I. All made possible by @Jetsfanri. This board has some great posters.   

Glad you got to go to the game. I had an extra ticket and didnt think to post it here. Next time I certainly will. I would rather se a Jets fan there and the seat full than let it go to waste. I was at the game also. I heard those defense chants early also. I feel like the best part of the day was the look on the Dolphins fans faces when the Jets sealed the game. They were completely dejected. It was certainly a hot day - but a great game and really fun.

On 9/25/2017 at 4:25 PM, Maxman said:

People have been saying Jets fans aren't dedicated. I have seen comments saying that Jets fans aren't passionate.

The stadium had empty seats on Sunday. More than you want to see for a home opener. But it was 90 degrees out and the rebuild is in full effect. That said the stadium was FILLED with die-hard fans rooting for a win.

The parking lots open at 8am. Here is one of the lines to get in (there are several entrances) around 7:30am. That's right, people lining up to get in. Was nice to see because, as I always say, Jets fans are the best.

IMG_20170924_080301361.jpg

I wasnt really sure what to expect for attendance. There should have been more for a home opener - but I can see attendance increasing as we start piling up those wins. :)

15 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I live in Charlotte NC, after 34 years in NYC.  Charlotte is an awesome place to live. so is Tampa.  NYErs seem to have your take, that's fine.  BUT.....  I know of no NYErs here who regret the move.   There are probably a few hundred thousand here in Charlotte. 

YES...  I miss good jazz in NYC, Broadway but I don't miss the commute, taxes, traffic, regulation.  

THats made up for with a great job, 5 minute commute, many other great things. 

Nobody wants to leave NYC more than me and I was not trying to imply that NYC was a "better" place to live than any of the cities I listed. All of the things I stated were not meant to support how great NYC is, it was simply to highlight that there's more to do in NYC than in most football markets. I lived in Buffalo for four years and there's just not as much to do there as there is in NYC but the quality of life was arguably much better.

11 hours ago, nyjunc said:

The Jets are getting desperate, this week they have a special offer for cheap tickets AND you get to stand on the field(I am sure in a roped off section to the side) during Mawae's ceremony at halftime.

I will make sure I go to the bathroom or go eat a pretzel during all this I'm not interested in Mawae's induction as I don't think he deserves this but we are desperate I guess. 

19 hours ago, Fibonacci said:

What offer is that? Link?

tickets are $30(EZ corner), $60(EZ prime), $65(EZ lower)

2cidvlh.jpg

17 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

I will make sure I go to the bathroom or go eat a pretzel during all this I'm not interested in Mawae's induction as I don't think he deserves this but we are desperate I guess. 

I disagree with you there, he's probably the best C we have ever had and we have had some great C's.

34 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

tickets are $30(EZ corner), $60(EZ prime), $65(EZ lower)

2cidvlh.jpg

I disagree with you there, he's probably the best C we have ever had and we have had some great C's.

Mangold > Mawae

And Mangold is pure Jets.  Mawae belongs as much in the Seattle Seahawk Ring of Lols as much as the Jets Ring of Lols.

Just now, Warfish said:

Mangold > Mawae

And Mangold is pure Jets.  Mawae belongs as much in the Seattle Seahawk Ring of Lols as much as the Jets Ring of Lols.

Mawae was better than Mangold, Mangold will also make the ROH. why does it have to be one vs. the other? 

Mawae played in Seattle for 4 seasons, he was a Jet for 8 seasons.  8 seasons is long enough to be considered an all time great for the franchise which he was.

19 hours ago, HessStation said:

You know why Steeler fans are considered such "great" fans. Go to Pittsburgh and pretend you live there for more than a day. Please w the best fans crap. We're all adults here.

The last time the Steelers played at Metlife there were tons of their fans who were ripping on Jets fans as they headed to the buses. I said hey you guys won , but when I wake-up tomorrow I'll be in NJ , when you wake tomorrow you'll be in Pittsburgh. Funny thing is I don't think half of them really understood what that meant.

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Mangold > Mawae

Mawae was a f*cking BOSS! Mangold was good but the Jets run blocking in 2009 & 2010 was mostly to the right behind Brandon Moore & Woody. No way Mangold could make some of the blocks Mawae made when he would pull from his center position. I remember a game vs the Dolphins & Mawae was pulling & sweeping and just wiping out Miami defenders on the edge. The fins defenders started getting chippy cause Mawae was a badazz and liked to talk. Sorry..better all around center than Mangold, just my opinion. Snap, stand up & hold a block, yea I'll give you that..edge Mangold but for versatility at center, Mawae by a mile. Parcells loved that dude man & went full bore for him. Difference maker on the Oline & nasty too.

On 9/27/2017 at 10:30 AM, RevisIsland610 said:

That list is such horsesh*t. Social equity? Pats fan base top 5? GIVE ME A BREAK!!  I wonder if 5 superbowl wins has anything to do with it. That fan base couldn't spell Patriots before Bellichick/Brady. Chiefs bottom 5? CMON MAN. It looks like some wall street CFA put this together. 

Wall St CFA? This reads more like it was done by a kid in high school trying to present his biased argument. It's neither objective nor scientific.

An objective, scientific study doesn't just have the author stating essentially, "Trust me, I made up a totally awesome way to weigh the data. I arbitrarily and subjectively picked which data is and isn't important, but I'm going to keep that data - and where it came from - secret from the reader."

Any study that's worth more than toilet paper tells the reader what his methods are, after first showing the initial raw data obtained (and the methods for obtaining that as well, plus the justification for using one set of data in his study instead of others).

He's supposed to present this before then normalizing - which he also did by some arbitrary calculations he keeps secret - and this should further prove (numerically) why his normalization calculations have any merit or statistical significance as they relate to the accurate, objective measurement of football fandom.

This doesn't show any of this; we're just take his word for it. 

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

The last time the Steelers played at Metlife there were tons of their fans who were ripping on Jets fans as they headed to the buses. I said hey you guys won , but when I wake-up tomorrow I'll be in NJ , when you wake tomorrow you'll be in Pittsburgh. Funny thing is I don't think half of them really understood what that meant.

If you live anywhere in the Midwest I think you should be proud to say your the greatest fan base ever. Like, really. It's all yours dude. Here's your trophy and hi five. I want to be a Chargers fan and not give a ****.

Skimming that article again. I mean seriously, Twitter as a serious measurement of which NFL team has the best fans? Not only that; it's a huge chunk of his entire calculation of which fan base is the best. Lol. Well, it's written by someone who's surrounded by college kids every day, so should I really be surprised?

Also ignores a team having famous/popular players on it. It's hardly an insignificant reason for road ticket sales. For many, it's a special experience to see the best, big name players in person. How much road draw is Alex Smith or Blake Bortles bringing on the road? Virtually zero. But say I'm a very casual fan who wants to go to 1 game this year, and have never or hardly been to a game before. Do I want to cherry pick one of the last opportunities I have to see Tom Brady or Drew Brees before they retire, or am I going to choose to see the likes of Ryan Fitzpatrick or Andy Dalton?

Not to mention the author's general snobbery of presuming every fan base has an equal number/percentage of its most rabid fans with both the financial and lifestyle means to travel to other cities on 8+ Sundays/Mondays/Thursdays per year. Nor still is there equal desire or incentive, for all teams' fans, to travel to/from certain cities during the crappy winter months.

Green Bay's season ticket waiting list is several decades long (not the optimistic 30 years the team estimates publicly). The most conservative, unrealistic estimate is still more than twice that of New England's. Unlike the Patriots, though, that Packers wait list duration isn't going to plummet so dramatically once Brady/Belichick retire. 

Guess those doctorate degrees aren't worth what they used to be. This is statistical garbage. I can't believe anyone would take it seriously.

On 9/29/2017 at 3:31 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

Skimming that article again. I mean seriously, Twitter as a serious measurement of which NFL team has the best fans? Not only that; it's a huge chunk of his entire calculation of which fan base is the best. Lol. Well, it's written by someone who's surrounded by college kids every day, so should I really be surprised?

Also ignores a team having famous/popular players on it. It's hardly an insignificant reason for road ticket sales. For many, it's a special experience to see the best, big name players in person. How much road draw is Alex Smith or Blake Bortles bringing on the road? Virtually zero. But say I'm a very casual fan who wants to go to 1 game this year, and have never or hardly been to a game before. Do I want to cherry pick one of the last opportunities I have to see Tom Brady or Drew Brees before they retire, or am I going to choose to see the likes of Ryan Fitzpatrick or Andy Dalton?

Not to mention the author's general snobbery of presuming every fan base has an equal number/percentage of its most rabid fans with both the financial and lifestyle means to travel to other cities on 8+ Sundays/Mondays/Thursdays per year. Nor still is there equal desire or incentive, for all teams' fans, to travel to/from certain cities during the crappy winter months.

Green Bay's season ticket waiting list is several decades long (not the optimistic 30 years the team estimates publicly). The most conservative, unrealistic estimate is still more than twice that of New England's. Unlike the Patriots, though, that Packers wait list duration isn't going to plummet so dramatically once Brady/Belichick retire. 

Guess those doctorate degrees aren't worth what they used to be. This is statistical garbage. I can't believe anyone would take it seriously.

I have talked to high ranking people within the Jets organization that told me they no longer use Twitter to get the pulse for Jets issues. They said they prefer forums because you can type more characters and even the complaints are spelled out in more detail.

52 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I have talked to high ranking people within the Jets organization that told me they no longer use Twitter to get the pulse for Jets issues. They said they prefer forums because you can type more characters and even the complaints are spelled out in more detail.

Top.  Men.

5 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

SAR is likely to blame for bad attendance.

sar.jpg

I was in attendace for both home games this season and was surprised at all the empty seats, the UD is no surprise but the MEZZ is. 

I truly believe if they revoke the PSL's and just sell game tickets again Jets fans will fill the seats and every game will be a sellout. 

I was in attendace for both home games this season and was surprised at all the empty seats, the UD is no surprise but the MEZZ is. 
I truly believe if they revoke the PSL's and just sell game tickets again Jets fans will fill the seats and every game will be a sellout. 

Great idea but I have a better chance of winning Powerball than that does of happening

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived