Deep Thoughts

Jetster

Anyone know how teams play returning from games in London? Just curious as it's a long way to go & traveling is tiring. Jets have been practicing & chilling here at home getting ready.

Cam Robinson their left tackle left the game with an ankle injury, his status will be interesting. Even if he plays we need to test him & put pressure on him to plant & hold his spots.

Jaguars have forced 8 turnovers, which has helped lead them to 2-1. Jets need to just protect the ball like last week, without TOs you can hang in every game in this league. 

Perfect game for the Jets to have 3 good safeties. Adams, Maye, Brooks need to keep Lewis in check, cover him & take him away as the safety valve for Bortles & get that one pump so we can get to him. I think Parker & Landry are actually better than Hurns & Lee.

Jets do well vs backs like Fournette (similar to Ajayi) and it looks like Bowles has figured out blocking schemes now having game film from 3 games should help even more.

McCown is better than Fitzpatrick! He has a much better arm, seems to really know where guys should be in this WCO and has shown a lot of confidence which spreads throughout a young team. It's funny but the NY Jets have way better offensive talent right now than the Ravens. Flacco is obviously playing hurt, Wallace & Maclin (Anderson is better than Wallace right now), Kearse is producing more than Maclin coming back from an ACL. And look how good ASJ looked coming back after a 2 game suspension, healthy he's far better than Gilmore/Watson/Pitta. 

Love the Jets chances to go to 2-2 Sunday.

I agree with everything you said. Very well thought out and nicely articulated plan. But You mention Lewis like he's been a consistent threat for years lol. Those 3 touchdowns was just a flash in the pan he probably has got 3 catches in the last 3 season. We need to stay locked on Allen. He's the game changer. Pressure Bortles into playing like bad Bortles and I think we have a solid chance. Don't sleep on fournette though. He's not your average power back. Has a lot of wiggle for a north/south runner and some speed on him. 

13 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

So are you just going to make a weekly thread called "Deep Thoughts," or

Yes, as this is a discussion board about the NY Jets. I know you treat it like a place where stupid retorts that could be posted by a 5 year old followed by giggles is cool, but there are plenty of Jet fans here that in fact like to discuss the team with each other. 

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Yes, as this is a discussion board about the NY Jets. I know you treat it like a place where stupid retorts that could be posted by a 5 year old followed by giggles is cool, but there are plenty of Jet fans here that in fact like to discuss the team with each other. 

Sounds like a bunch of buttface fart knockers to me

31 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I agree with everything you said. Very well thought out and nicely articulated plan. But You mention Lewis like he's been a consistent threat for years lol. Those 3 touchdowns was just a flash in the pan he probably has got 3 catches in the last 3 season. We need to stay locked on Allen. He's the game changer. Pressure Bortles into playing like bad Bortles and I think we have a solid chance. Don't sleep on fournette though. He's not your average power back. Has a lot of wiggle for a north/south runner and some speed on him. 

No Allen to worry about. It's basically Hurns, Lee & Lewis and stopping Fournet which won't be easy. Adams looks like he's getting comfortable QBing the secondary. Like last week the LBs gotta bring it & stuff those gaps. Even if not full MetLife will be loud if only because the Jags don't have nearly the fans Miami does.

Big, big difference stopping the run at home vs away. Bills & Raiders Olines are big & nasty and get off the ball quicker playing at home. Look what that Oline did to a very good Broncos defense & Denver had 2 games of offensive game tape to view of Buffalo. Raiders laid an egg on the road with the Skins defense getting off the ball much quicker at home.

It makes a difference & hopefully the Jets defense is bringing it, instead of accepting the blows like the 1st two games.

22 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Robinson tore his ACL.  It's Lee and Hurns.  

The Jags blew two teams out and then got blown out at home.  They are probably something in between.  

19 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Doodiehead

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

Anyone know how teams play returning from games in London? Just curious as it's a long way to go & traveling is tiring. Jets have been practicing & chilling here at home getting ready.

Cam Robinson their left tackle left the game with an ankle injury, his status will be interesting. Even if he plays we need to test him & put pressure on him to plant & hold his spots.

Jaguars have forced 8 turnovers, which has helped lead them to 2-1. Jets need to just protect the ball like last week, without TOs you can hang in every game in this league. 

Perfect game for the Jets to have 3 good safeties. Adams, Maye, Brooks need to keep Lewis in check, cover him & take him away as the safety valve for Bortles & get that one pump so we can get to him. I think Parker & Landry are actually better than Hurns & Lee.

Jets do well vs backs like Fournette (similar to Ajayi) and it looks like Bowles has figured out blocking schemes now having game film from 3 games should help even more.

McCown is better than Fitzpatrick! He has a much better arm, seems to really know where guys should be in this WCO and has shown a lot of confidence which spreads throughout a young team. It's funny but the NY Jets have way better offensive talent right now than the Ravens. Flacco is obviously playing hurt, Wallace & Maclin (Anderson is better than Wallace right now), Kearse is producing more than Maclin coming back from an ACL. And look how good ASJ looked coming back after a 2 game suspension, healthy he's far better than Gilmore/Watson/Pitta. 

Love the Jets chances to go to 2-2 Sunday.

The run defense was the biggest thing that jumped out to me. They were right where they needed to be, unlike the last couple of weeks when guys like Lee were left on their own against guys twice his size and asked to clog the gap... Last week I didn't see that! Lee was all over the field and was able to do what he did best: run guys down; while our other guys on the line closed the lanes and blocked. It was really good. Just the way you draw it up...

So I hope you're right! It'll be interesting to see how it plays out and if they've finally found the lineup/strategy that works, or if someone blows by them like the first 2 games... There's reason to believe they found something that works. There's talent up there. It should be their top strength. 

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

That escalated quickly.

16 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

If the Jets stop the run and don't turn the ball over they'll have a really good chance of winning. Bortles scares no one. 

He had a hell of a game out there in London, but you're right.

One thing he did in that game was toss a lot of deep balls. They were mostly 'touch' passes. He really floated them up there to his guys. I mean they were pretty passes for sure, but that's a dangerous way to live for a QB like him. If he comes out with that strategy against the Jets I'm not sure it'll work again. I think our safeties can take some of those over the top passes away... And when Bortles has to start making mid-level throws that's when he get's in trouble and can make mistakes. 

Most teams have had their bye week following London games in previous years, so there isn't much precedent to establish a meaningful stat on wins / losses etc. (As a small aside, there was a trend for a while that the losing coach in London seldom saw the season out ... Joe Philbin got fired the day their plane touched down after we blew the Phish out two years back :D).

One player we need to be aware of after a career week last week is Marcedes Lewis ... Jags got him really involved and he reeled in three TDs (I think that doubled his CAREER total in one game). Also watch for fake punts! ;-) 

9 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Most teams have had their bye week following London games in previous years, so there isn't much precedent to establish a meaningful stat on wins / losses etc. (As a small aside, there was a trend for a while that the losing coach in London seldom saw the season out ... Joe Philbin got fired the day their plane touched down after we blew the Phish out two years back :D).

One player we need to be aware of after a career week last week is Marcedes Lewis ... Jags got him really involved and he reeled in three TDs (I think that doubled his CAREER total in one game). Also watch for fake punts! ;-) 

That's interesting regarding the byes. I know I wouldn't be happy with a schedule sending the Jets to London & a road game the next week. Miami played in LA the week before coming to play the Jets. There is an advantage to heeling up after a game at home & preparing for your next game immediately, for players & for coaches getting a jump in the film room. 

Can't wait to see how the Jets follow up with a solid win after gaining a bit of confidence. I know Fournette is a good back but I'm hoping Bowles & his coaches test out his blitz pickups early & often on Sunday. When defenses can play with a lead everything changes. Why wouldn't McCown play slightly better each week being more in tune with this group of players, plus the addition of ASJ & McGuire who adds another much quicker dimension to the offense, Kearse & Kerley with another week of practice & sprinkling in of Stewart.

Its actually a lot more for opposing defenses to get ready for than 2015 & 2016. Fitz use to force the ball too much, McCown seems to be going through progressions and hitting the open man. Six different players caught passes on Sunday. 

47 minutes ago, Jetster said:

That's interesting regarding the byes. I know I wouldn't be happy with a schedule sending the Jets to London & a road game the next week. Miami played in LA the week before coming to play the Jets. There is an advantage to heeling up after a game at home & preparing for your next game immediately, for players & for coaches getting a jump in the film room. 

Can't wait to see how the Jets follow up with a solid win after gaining a bit of confidence. I know Fournette is a good back but I'm hoping Bowles & his coaches test out his blitz pickups early & often on Sunday. When defenses can play with a lead everything changes. Why wouldn't McCown play slightly better each week being more in tune with this group of players, plus the addition of ASJ & McGuire who adds another much quicker dimension to the offense, Kearse & Kerley with another week of practice & sprinkling in of Stewart.

Its actually a lot more for opposing defenses to get ready for than 2015 & 2016. Fitz use to force the ball too much, McCown seems to be going through progressions and hitting the open man. Six different players caught passes on Sunday. 

I think the byes became impossible to manage once they started having 3 games a year over here ... too limiting on when teams got their bye weeks, given the complexity of the scheduling and the general resistance to having divisional games in London.

27 minutes ago, jamesr said:

I think the byes became impossible to manage once they started having 3 games a year over here ... too limiting on when teams got their bye weeks, given the complexity of the scheduling and the general resistance to having divisional games in London.

Well, let's hope it works in the Jets favor. It's kind of funny to me the media narrative that the Jets were the worst team in the league & might go 0-16, lol. Then they beat down Miami who are literally like the old free agent Jet teams of the past, Suh, Cutler, Maxwell, etc.

If I'm a Fin fan watching that game, seeing a pretty young Jet Oline, Anderson catching a TD pass, ASJ (scrap heaper reincarnate TE), Kearse (27), diving catch by a rookie Stewart, McGuire at 6.1 YPR, Adams Brooks Maye safety trifecta, literally kicking their azzes im wondering what the future is bringing knowing the Jets are only going to get better. Pretty sobering day for Fin fans.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

This is true. That's not who I was thinking he was referring to since I don't think anyone is like super worried about Allen Hurns but he can beat you deep if you're sleeping. 

He has one less TD than Robinson and a better catch rate over the same career span.  I get that Robinson was the higher rated prospect, but Hurns can do damage.  Marcedes Lewis too.  I get the guy hasn't done much lately, but he and Hurns both have had 10 TD seasons.  The only guys on the Jets with more than 10 career receiving TDs are Forte, Kearse (13) and Kerley (12).  Nothing against your post and not to say they are a powerhouse, just pointing out that treating them lightly would be silly for anybody thinking the Jets were going to scare somebody.

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Well, let's hope it works in the Jets favor. It's kind of funny to me the media narrative that the Jets were the worst team in the league & might go 0-16, lol. Then they beat down Miami who are literally like the old free agent Jet teams of the past, Suh, Cutler, Maxwell, etc.

If I'm a Fin fan watching that game, seeing a pretty young Jet Oline, Anderson catching a TD pass, ASJ (scrap heaper reincarnate TE), Kearse (27), diving catch by a rookie Stewart, McGuire at 6.1 YPR, Adams Brooks Maye safety trifecta, literally kicking their azzes im wondering what the future is bringing knowing the Jets are only going to get better. Pretty sobering day for Fin fans.

Pretty young offensive line?  Johnson-free agent.  Dozier-free agent

ASJ scrap heaper to reincarnate TE to free agent.

Brooks?  Free agent.

Sobering.

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Pretty young offensive line?  Johnson-free agent.  Dozier-free agent

ASJ scrap heaper to reincarnate TE to free agent.

Brooks?  Free agent.

Sobering.

Do you reckon these guys are going to cost a fortune to re-sign? We have cap room to keep the guys we want / guys who are worth it.

4 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Do you reckon these guys are going to cost a fortune to re-sign? We have cap room to keep the guys we want / guys who are worth it.

So can any other team. There is little value to having young players play well when they are not under contract.  See Brian Winters 2016.  Better they are good than they suck, but if they have to sign just these guys to Winters level contracts that is more than 1/3 their cap room.  No QB, no splash WR, no pass rusher/OLB.  Just to return to 2017 talent level.

7 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Exactly, the RFA tag too. To me it just tells me Macc will try to UPGRADE every position on this team through free agency, draft, waiver cuts, trades, whatever it takes.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

So can any other team. There is little value to having young players play well when they are not under contract.  See Brian Winters 2016.  Better they are good than they suck, but if they have to sign just these guys to Winters level contracts that is more than 1/3 their cap room.  No QB, no splash WR, no pass rusher/OLB.  Just to return to 2017 talent level.

Dozier has played one whole game in about 4 years, plus some spot duty here and there. He's not a Winters level contract, nor should he be. Same for Brooks - guy's lucky to be on a team right now, we should be able to re-sign him for very little.

So that leaves a center and a TE ... and they're going to prevent us from signing anyone else? 

6 hours ago, Jetster said:

I like talking about the Jets. Keep the deep thoughts coming.

22 minutes ago, HighPitch said:
  • IMO, as a traveler, I don't think a flight on Monday affects anything.

theyre not returning from mars

If that were true it the West coast games on a schedule would never be noted. Same holds true for teams coming east.

30 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Dozier has played one whole game in about 4 years, plus some spot duty here and there. He's not a Winters level contract, nor should he be. Same for Brooks - guy's lucky to be on a team right now, we should be able to re-sign him for very little.

So that leaves a center and a TE ... and they're going to prevent us from signing anyone else? 

If the Dolphins fans are supposed to be afraid of them, you don't think they should cost?  Claiborne or his replacement are not going to be cheap.  

What you said about Dozier is true, but people said the same of Winters at this time last year and he got that deal.  I am not saying they won't be able to sign people.  I am saying that we can't count guys as part of our nucleus for next year when they are not under contract.  Kony Ealy, Demario Davis, Marcus Williams, Enunwa, the kicker, Pennel.  I don't think any of these guys are eligible RFA.  Maybe Enunwa because of the missed service.  Johnson and Williams are already playing on RFA deals. 

Archived