Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JoJoTownsell1

Terrance Brooks- Defensive Player of the Week

Recommended Posts

#safetieswinfootballgames

Terrence Brooks named AFC defensive player of the week

Posted by Josh Alper on September 27, 2017, 9:52 AM EDT
853144790-e1506520346153.jpg?w=468&h=271
Getty Images

The Jets picked up safety Terrence Brooks in a trade with the Eagles just before the start of the regular season and the move paid off in the team’s first win of the 2017 season.

Brooks only saw 30 snaps on defense while playing in a reserve role behind rookies Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye, but those were enough for him to make a pair of big plays in the 20-6 victory over the Dolphins.

Brooks intercepted Jay Cutler near midfield early in the third quarter to give the Jets the ball in good field position that they used to drive for a field goal. He then picked off another Cutler pass in the fourth quarter to all but wipe out any hopes Miami might have had of rallying to make a game of it.

The NFL announced on Wednesday that Brooks has been named the AFC defensive player of the week in recognition of that effort. It’s the first time that Brooks has received the honor and the first time a Jets defender has nabbed the prize since Darrelle Revis won in the second week of the 2015 season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/27/terrence-brooks-named-afc-defensive-player-of-the-week/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
5 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

Good thing we drafted safeties with our first 2 picks last draft. I mean it's not like we can aquire a journeyman in trade and get comparable or better production. 

Except Jamal Adams is probably the best player on the team already and Maye is has been impressive also. Brooks only gets to do what he does because Adams and Maye are so good at what they do. If the defense continues to show improvement and cuts down on issues defending the run then we might be better than we thought and those safeties will be a big reason why.

But I also don't want to be that much better because I really want to draft Rosen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

Good thing we drafted safeties with our first 2 picks last draft. I mean it's not like we can aquire a journeyman in trade and get comparable or better production. 

Is that what this is? 

-----

Anyways, you know what really helps highlight winning marginal trades like this one? A franchise QB 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

No you're right, I'm ecstatic we chose Maye over Dalvin Cook and just had a safety we traded McDougle for win player of the week. I'm over the moon about the whole thing.

If Brooks was playing poorly and Mcdougle won DPOW you would be bashing Macc for making a bad trade. Now that Brooks is playing well you are bashing him for having too many good safeties. It's typical SOJF nonsense. 

I wanted Cook to, but many teams passed on him due to off the field issues. Without those issues he and Mixon would have gone in the middle of the 1st. If the Jets had drafted Cook and he got suspended next year for off the field nonsense you would bash macc for drafting a thug. 

Macc isn't going anywhere anytime soon so it should be fun watching sojf's whine about every move he makes for another year or more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If Brooks was playing poorly and Mcdougle won DPOW you would be bashing Macc for making a bad trade. Now that Brooks is playing well you are bashing him for having too many good safeties. It's typical SOJF nonsense. 

I wanted Cook to, but many teams passed on him due to off the field issues. Without those issues he and Mixon would have gone in the middle of the 1st. If the Jets had drafted Cook and he got suspended next year for off the field nonsense you would bash macc for drafting a thug. 

Macc isn't going anywhere anytime soon so it should be fun watching sojf's whine about every move he makes for another year or more. 

The hypotheticals you created have little to do with reality. You can't craft an argument using them.

I'm not a Macc basher by any stretch, but if you expect me to jump up and down with the pom poms and the pleated skirt, sorry, not happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

What does Brooks have to do with Maye and Adams? They were part of the team before Terrence Brooks got here. Jets needed depth after injuries to Middleton and Miles. He was brought in as a depth player and had an amazing game. You think that makes Maye and Adams replaceable?

This board is so extreme. There was so much uproar after trading McDougle who had injuries and zero production. Can't take Adams at 6 because he plays safety. Why take Mayes who can't cover.

That trade brought in a versatile safety who has also played in the slot, specials, is young, and has more production than all of McDougle's jet career

Adams has come out of the gate strong

I just saw Maye has had 107 coverage snaps with 3 targets with 29 yards allowed. Its early but it was also early when these moves were crucified. Maybe let things play out a little either way.

I'm sorry, but that sort of rational thinking isn't welcome on this board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

No you're right, I'm ecstatic we chose Maye over Dalvin Cook and just had a safety we traded McDougle for win player of the week. I'm over the moon about the whole thing.

Not to change the conversation but we've gotten very good production out of Elijah McGuire so far, I'm never really a proponent for taking RB's early.  Dalvin Cook has looked good but he wouldn't have made that much more of an impact on our offense and Maye while not putting up the flashy numbers that Adams is has been solid in coverage and should only get better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the majority view is that Adams was a justifiable pick, but given what you can find at safety the Maye pick could possibly have been better used at another position.  That being said, the Jets were not taking Cook or Mixon.  When taking into account injuries, my guess is that Maye was their highest rated player, but that does not always get you the best team.  Perhaps the safeties could have been Adams and Brooks.  

For practical purposes these are the players the Jets could have picked other than Maye.  Let's discuss again at the end of the year:

 

2 39 New York Jets Marcus Maye  S Florida SEC  
  2 40 Carolina Panthers Curtis Samuel  WR Ohio State Big Ten  
  2 41 Minnesota Vikings Dalvin Cook  RB Florida State ACC from Cincinnati [R2 - 6]
  2 42 New Orleans Saints Marcus Williams  S Utah Pac-12  
  2 43 Philadelphia Eagles Sidney Jones  CB Washington Pac-12  
  2 44 Los Angeles Rams Gerald Everett  TE South Alabama Sun Belt from Buffalo [R2 - 7]
  2 45 Chicago Bears Adam Shaheen  TE Ashland GLIAC from Arizona [R2 - 8]
  2 46 Indianapolis Colts Quincy Wilson  CB Florida SEC  
  2 47 Baltimore Ravens Tyus Bowser  OLB Houston The American

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

No you're right, I'm ecstatic we chose Maye over Dalvin Cook and just had a safety we traded McDougle for win player of the week. I'm over the moon about the whole thing.

You realize having Maye and Adams allowed Brooks to do what he did right? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems many on this board can't be happy with a good move/job if they don't like the overall job he is doing? To be fair, there are just as many who have an agenda the other way as well. We should be able to be happy when something works out for the jets AND give credit; it doesn't mean that you support that person. Idzik got great trade value for Revis; I said it, and I thought/think he is the worst GM I have ever seen.

 

Also, not to be too nit picky, but wasn't the article a little off. His first interception wasn't thrown by Cutler, but came on the fake punt, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just remember watching this game thinking "who the hell is #23?"

I forgot we traded Dex for him. Hopefully the set of circumstances that allowed him to proper here continues over the next couple of weeks. Bowles really put his players in position to succeed last weekend.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

I just remember watching this game thinking "who the hell is #23?"

I forgot we traded Dex for him. Hopefully the set of circumstances that allowed him to proper here continues over the next couple of weeks. Bowles really put his players in position to succeed last weekend.

 

Maybe, just maybe with Adams, Maye & Brooks, Bowles found the round pegs for his round holes? Now he just needs to find out how to use Lee. The idea of all 4 of those players complimenting each other in the second level of the defense gives me goosebumps. Watching all of them flying around Sunday, making plays, HAVING FUN, was awesome to watch. Even Clairborne was smiling & flying around. That feelings contagious & Adams is supplying good germs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, varjet said:

I think the majority view is that Adams was a justifiable pick, but given what you can find at safety the Maye pick could possibly have been better used at another position.  That being said, the Jets were not taking Cook or Mixon.  When taking into account injuries, my guess is that Maye was their highest rated player, but that does not always get you the best team.  Perhaps the safeties could have been Adams and Brooks.  

For practical purposes these are the players the Jets could have picked other than Maye.  Let's discuss again at the end of the year:

 

2 39 New York Jets Marcus Maye  S Florida SEC  
  2 40 Carolina Panthers Curtis Samuel  WR Ohio State Big Ten  
  2 41 Minnesota Vikings Dalvin Cook  RB Florida State ACC from Cincinnati [R2 - 6]
  2 42 New Orleans Saints Marcus Williams  S Utah Pac-12  
  2 43 Philadelphia Eagles Sidney Jones  CB Washington Pac-12  
  2 44 Los Angeles Rams Gerald Everett  TE South Alabama Sun Belt from Buffalo [R2 - 7]
  2 45 Chicago Bears Adam Shaheen  TE Ashland GLIAC from Arizona [R2 - 8]
  2 46 Indianapolis Colts Quincy Wilson  CB Florida SEC  
  2 47 Baltimore Ravens Tyus Bowser  OLB Houston The American

The pick should have been Dalvin Cook.  This will haunt Mac for the rest of his career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

The pick should have been Dalvin Cook.  This will haunt Mac for the rest of his career.

I love it when Jets fans act as if the Jets are the only team in the draft. What about the other 31 teams that passed on Cook? You're acting as if we picked 1st, took Maye and the second overall pick was Cook. Stop living in a Jets bubble where every good player taken in the later rounds SHOULD have been a Jet.  

What about Kareem Hunt taken at 86. Will that haunt Macc also despite 31 other NFL teams/GMS opted to take 85 other players despite Hunt likely being the best player in the draft? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I love it when Jets fans act as if the Jets are the only team in the draft. What about the other 31 teams that passed on Cook? You're acting as if we picked 1st, took Maye and the second overall pick was Cook. Stop living in a Jets bubble where every good player taken in the later rounds SHOULD have been a Jet.  

What about Kareem Hunt taken at 86. Will that haunt Macc also despite 31 other NFL teams/GMS opted to take 85 other players despite Hunt likely being the best player in the draft? 

Um, I was pretty clear that I wanted the Jets to draft Cook BEFORE the draft, and seeing that he was available when the Jets picked in the second round, YES, I feel he should have been a Jet.  Picking another safety was a DUMB move when the team had a laundry list of other holes. 

As for Mac being haunted by other good players that he passed over - YES he will be haunted, especially by this fanbase, for every RB and QB that he could have picked in 2017 that turns into a productive , all pro level NFL player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×