McCown on 3rd Down

AFJF

Well that's certainly surprising.  Although that kind of brings to question of what their run/pass rate on third down has been, and how many of those completions have been conversions.

I don't know the answers, but we know they've had plenty of failed third downs, particularly in the first two weeks.  I have nothing against McCown, but he probably doesn't deserve praise in the instances he threw a 3 yard pass, or the Jets ran a failed draw, on 3rd and long.  But on the flip side, have to give credit to the receivers too for that catch rate, but there are of course still those same questions.

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Well that's certainly surprising.  Although that kind of brings to question of what their run/pass rate on third down has been, and how many of those completions have been conversions.

I don't know the answers, but we know they've had plenty of failed third downs, particularly in the first two weeks.  I have nothing against McCown, but he probably doesn't deserve praise in the instances he threw a 3 yard pass, or the Jets ran a failed draw, on 3rd and long.  But on the flip side, have to give credit to the receivers too for that catch rate, but there are of course still those same questions.

This.  I'd love to know the conversation rate because this doesn't add up when it comes to scoring.  

We've converted 15 of 39 3rd downs ... good for 16th in the league (38%).

So nothing special. I guess a lot of those completions were short of the marker. Like when you get 12 yards on 3rd and 20 to make your field position better for a FG / punt.

1 minute ago, jamesr said:

So nothing special. I guess a lot of those completions were short of the marker. Like when you get 12 yards on 3rd and 20 to make your field position better for a FG / punt.

That makes sense.  Thanks!

That's pretty good for the 1st three games of the season considering you didn't have your starting TE in the first 2 games, your top WR was just traded for and had very little time with McCown, your other WRs are a 2nd year guy & a rookie in Stewart and your starting running back has looked like he's running in cement shoes. Plus Kerley wasn't even in camp with Josh.

13 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Were are all the geniuses that were freaking out about Mccown not get PT in the preseason? Mccown is 800 years old. He don't need no practice. 

He don'y need no playing time either, we should be seeing Petty. But Bowles will play McClown for 16 games and we will go into next year with even less answers at QB than this one.

15 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

He don'y need no playing time either, we should be seeing Petty. But Bowles will play McClown for 16 games and we will go into next year with even less answers at QB than this one.

unless maccagnan threatens to (then follows through on it) whoop bowles' *** after every game mccown starts,  you just may be right..

i'm leaning more towards after we are mathematically eliminated for the playoffs.. 

the guy that earned the starting job was in street clothes week one..

Completions > Conversions

Leadership > Points

Bask, my friends, as the Jets lead the way into the new, enlightened era of the NFL; where there worst teams go to the Super Bowl; where age and grizzled wisdom is valued over youth and talent; and where moral victories reign supreme.

Follow me friends, as The Triumvirate (Macc, Bowles, McCown) guide us by the hand, as we soar majestically into the future!

I can't wait!

16 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Yeah!

No one can complete a short screen pass at the line of scrimmage, that goes for 5 yards when you need 10, like Josh ******* McCown can, baby!

#LeadershipBitches

Give me a break...McCown is just a torch holder, a vet that knows WCO so that the youngsters can actually see someone run it in live action while they are on the sideline learning the system. We're not going anywhere this year, eventually when it's obvious we're out of the hunt they'll turn to Petty or Hack to see if they can run this offense. I'm not fretting it anymore, nothing I do will change what happen to the Jets this year. After the Sanchez debacle I'm fine with it.

You guys just don't know the Jets Jinx, McCown will have his best year ever as a pro QB. He will lead the Jets to 11 wins, just short of 12 need to lock up a playoff spot. The Jets will end up picking 22 in the draft and taking a DT from a very small school no one's ever heard of. He will supposedly have a tremendous upside and the potential to be the best player taken in the draft. He stays with the Jets for three years is cut and spends the rest of his life bagging groceries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Give me a break...McCown is just a torch holder, a vet that knows WCO so that the youngsters can actually see someone run it in live action while they are on the sideline learning the system. We're not going anywhere this year, eventually when it's obvious we're out of the hunt they'll turn to Petty or Hack to see if they can run this offense. I'm not fretting it anymore, nothing I do will change what happen to the Jets this year. After the Sanchez debacle I'm fine with it.

I'll give him this he does look like the picture of how a QB is supposed to be in this offense. You can see why he's the starter based on that alone.

Of course its more than reasonable to want to see the young guys all year for experience. I'm hoping they are actually developing and learning from the sidelines while he's playing adequately. What would be great to see is one of them earning the job in practice before the team is eliminated from contention. 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Yeah, we're not going anywhere this year.

Better play the QB who gives us "the best chance to win".

1 hour ago, Tony MaC said:

I'll give him this he does look like the picture of how a QB is supposed to be in this offense. You can see why he's the starter based on that alone.

Of course its more than reasonable to want to see the young guys all year for experience. I'm hoping they are actually developing and learning from the sidelines while he's playing adequately. What would be great to see is one of them earning the job in practice before the team is eliminated from contention. 

I think Alex Smith was like 19-5 when the benched him for Kap so there is precedent for benching a vet on Winning team for a young QB that is"ready". 

Whether bowles has the balls to do what harbaugh did is a completely different question and I'm pretty sure the answer is that he will ride mccown until this team is toast.

If you want to go full on stats ... check this out :

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&season=2017&seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&statisticCategory=PASSING&conference=0011&d-447263-s=PASSING_COMPLETION_PERCENTAGE

Josh McCown - 3rd in the NFL with 69.8% completion rate. Tied for 8th in NFL with 7 yards per attempt.

EDIT - my bad, that's 3rd in AFC, not NFL. 6th in NFL once you take out the guys with 1 pass attempt.

14 hours ago, drsamuel84 said:

I know he's not our franchise QB but he's been pretty solid so far, I think a better QB than Fitz considering his ability to stretch the field.  

Which means that next year we should name him the starter in the off season before he's signed. Then he should demand more money than Fitz got.

I did warn everyone that McC would look good and really screw up our plans. He always looks good because he takes no risks. It's no wonder Bowles loves him.

4 minutes ago, jamesr said:

If you want to go full on stats ... check this out :

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&season=2017&seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&statisticCategory=PASSING&conference=0011&d-447263-s=PASSING_COMPLETION_PERCENTAGE

Josh McCown - 3rd in the NFL with 69.8% completion rate. Tied for 8th in NFL with 7 yards per attempt.

Throwing short of the marker will be very helpful in keeping that completion percentage up as will throwing short of the endzone. 

McCown has always been a good rating QB but what's his winning percentage, and how about scoring points which is the only stat that matters for a QB? 

So far he's 1-2 here so he's over achieving a little. 

12 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Completions > Conversions

Leadership > Points

Bask, my friends, as the Jets lead the way into the new, enlightened era of the NFL; where there worst teams go to the Super Bowl; where age and grizzled wisdom is valued over youth and talent; and where moral victories reign supreme.

Follow me friends, as The Triumvirate (Macc, Bowles, McCown) guide us by the hand, as we soar majestically into the future!

I can't wait!

Soaring majestically sounds very dangerous. I suggest we will drive 5 miles an hour under the speed limit in the center lane with seat belts on. 

McCown give us a chance to be competitive in most games. I think as a Jet fan that's about all you could ask for. 

Just now, NYs Stepchild said:

Throwing short of the marker will be very helpful in keeping that completion percentage up as will throwing short of the endzone. 

McCown has always been a good rating QB but what's his winning percentage, and how about scoring points which is the only stat that matters for a QB? 

So far he's 1-2 here so he's over achieving a little. 

Oh, I quite agree ... it shows that cherry-picking stats can lead you to whatever conclusion you want.

Here was something I found a lot more illustrative:

Inside own 20 yd line   100%

Own 21-50 yd line        72.5%

Opp. 20-49 yd line       66.7%

Opp. 1-19 yd line         50%

The 100% inside own 20 is likely to be as much the system as the QB - low risk, high % passes.

Interesting though to compare McCown's stats above to "Player A"

Inside own 20 yd line   61.5%

Own 21-50 yd line        61%

Opp. 20-49 yd line       86.4%

Any guess as to who "Player A" is?

16 hours ago, jamesr said:

actually not so bad considering what people thought of this team.  also, they got beaten badly by the raiders, which had to have lowered the ratio and it's still only after three games.  let's see if this improves as the season progresses.

4 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Oh, I quite agree ... it shows that cherry-picking stats can lead you to whatever conclusion you want.

The 100% inside own 20 is likely to be as much the system as the QB - low risk, high % passes.

I'd guess Rodgers. I'd bet that 50% in the Redzone very close to 50% of those completions are into the endzone. 

4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

actually not so bad considering what people thought of this team.  also, they got beaten badly by the raiders, which had to have lowered the ratio and it's still only after three games.  let's see if this improves as the season progresses.

Yes. McCown just needs a chance to see if he can improve. Any year now he's going to bust through that ceiling. 

9 minutes ago, jamesr said:

i guessing brady.

Archived