### Jets \ Jaguars -- (Let's Get to .500) Game Thread ###

Maxman

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Winning today was a disaster.  Reminder we play the AFC West this year.  Our schedule is brutal.

image.png

5 wins for the year if I had to guess.

Beat Dolphins (1), Jags, Cleveland, Dolphins (2), Chargers.

Lose everything else.

42 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And how much did rooting against your own team help "the big picture" today.

Next years QB will be who it will be.  Rooting against your own team will NOT make the #1/#1 happen.  

Be assured, I did.:D

Supposedly the deepest QB draft since the Marino Draft, but now no QB will be available at #6, eh?  

You really are suffering due to today's win, how sad for you.  I pity you.

Maybe you should just not worry about the draft till it gets here, eh?  You're destined for disappointment.  

Unless MAcc and Bowles are fired, that's always a risk.  Once again, we cannot control that.

But safe to say, I think we'll get a QB.  Not the Watson I wanted last draft, but hey, it's guys like YOU who demanded we wait for this big special once-in-a-lifetime-QB draft, right?

Damn right. I'd rather be bad for one year than another 6 years of mediocre. Not that McCag's/Woody et all might not screw it up anyway

29 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Winston is beating the Giants.  Goff just beat the Cowboys.  Tennessee was 2-1 going in to today and then lost Mariota.  Wentz has the Eagles up 16-7.  Matt Ryan, a guy we could have drafted until we beat KC to end the year in 07, was in the Super Bowl last year.  We got Gholston instead.

If you have no QB, then you have nothing.

To be fair Winston is beating a crappy 0-3 team and Eagles are beating a crappy 0-3 team; both teams have good (or previously good) QBs. A QB clearly isn't enough; you never know how a draft is going to roll out - so no point getting upset about a few wins - maybe we win 6 games and walk away with the sleeper QB - it happens.

As for Geoff beating the Cowboys - yep; he beat a team that drafted a late round QB everyone cried we should have drafted. So, is it Dak sucks after all, or is he great, but Geoff is greater?

A couple games in the beginning of the season doesn't mean anything. Let's see how all of their careers work out in the long run; hopefully we get our franchise QB soon.

Well being someone who was at the game it's impossible to root against the Jets, even when I can't stand the fact that McCown is the QB.  I don't think I'm very liked in the front row of the Mezz club seats TBH very my "rooting" ways.

45 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

The paralells to 2015 are so strong. Loser retread QB throwing to his veteran receivers almost exclusively, barely winning against teams as inept as we are. So sad

These are the Jets top 5 receivers through 4 games so far:

Jermaine Kearse              18    182

Jeremy Kerley                 13    93

Robby Anderson              12    204

Austin Seferian-Jenkins    9    77

Matt Forte                      6    58

Kearse is only 27 and could be a bigger piece of our offense in the next few years than I had anticipated, Robby is 24, and Austin is 25 (with half has many games as everyone else, so figure his targets to overtake Kerley eventually.) While I'd love to see more of Stewart and Hansen and less of Kerley, it's not like McCown is throwing it to Brandon Marshall every play. Oh, and I'd rather see Petty out there, would make winning 100x more fun to watch.

53 minutes ago, TheSage said:

I find it difficult to understand how one can comfortably root for their team to lose. While losses may guarantee a higher draft pick they do not guarantee quality picks at any position. The best quarterback of this century wasn't even a consideration in the early rounds. Stay loose enjoy the good plays. 

True, but a higher pick guarantees more options. I'd like more of those come next draft.

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

This season is going so jetsy I want to puke

We're destined for 8 wins. Losing tie breaker for playoff berth. 20th pick in draft. We'll take a $backer because having that as s depth position should go as well as having s stud DL.

21 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

Damn right. I'd rather be bad for one year than another 6 years of mediocre. Not that McCag's/Woody et all might not screw it up anyway

Where your logic fails is that this is not a cleat-cut definitive A/B option.

Losing now does not = winning later.  All it = is a chance to maybe draft a QB who might be good.

Newsflash, we have that chance every single draft.  We had it last year, with Deshaun Watson, and the "Suck for Sam" crowd foolishly argued against him.  For a Safety, lol.

Now, we're 2-2 in a league that may have 4 0-4 teams by days end.  

We're a good chance to win next week vs. one of those teams.  So we'd be 3-2, and they 0-4.  

The "Suck for Sam", i.e. "Suck for the #1 Pick" is over.  It's dead.  As it was always destined to be.  We're not that bad, other teams are.

So why root against wins?  Why be unhappy?  Our chances in the draft haven't actually changed, we're likely in the 6-12 range, which any rational fan knew we'd be.

In a draft the very same "suck for Sam" folks has said is the deepest QB draft since the Marino Draft, we WILL have a chance at a QB in 2018.  We can trade up.  We can stand pat and draft who is there.  No one knows if the #1/#1 will be any good, or a bust, or if the #6 QB will be good, or a bust.

There are no sure things in the future.  

So enjoy the moment, because the moment is all we are guaranteed to have in this life.

7 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

These are the Jets top 5 receivers through 4 games so far:

Jermaine Kearse              18    182

Jeremy Kerley                 13    93

Robby Anderson              12    204

Austin Seferian-Jenkins    9    77

Matt Forte                      6    58

Kearse is only 27 and could be a bigger piece of our offense in the next few years than I had anticipated, Robby is 24, and Austin is 25 (with half has many games as everyone else, so figure his targets to overtake Kerley eventually.) While I'd love to see more of Stewart and Hansen and less of Kerley, it's not like McCown is throwing it to Brandon Marshall every play. Oh, and I'd rather see Petty out there, would make winning 100x more fun to watch.

1 guy on that list is not a UFA that's the problem.

18 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

To be fair Winston is beating a crappy 0-3 team and Eagles are beating a crappy 0-3 team; both teams have good (or previously good) QBs. A QB clearly isn't enough; you never know how a draft is going to roll out - so no point getting upset about a few wins - maybe we win 6 games and walk away with the sleeper QB - it happens.

As for Geoff beating the Cowboys - yep; he beat a team that drafted a late round QB everyone cried we should have drafted. So, is it Dak sucks after all, or is he great, but Geoff is greater?

A couple games in the beginning of the season doesn't mean anything. Let's see how all of their careers work out in the long run; hopefully we get our franchise QB soon.

A FQB is not enough on it's own.  But it IS required.  Trying to win like the Dilfer/Ravens, Johnson/Bucs, BrokenManning+Osweiler/Broncos is not a recipe for success. 

Goff and Dak are not great imo.  But the 1-2 of the incoming class MAY ACTUALLY BE. 

But we beat the Dolphins, Jaguars and maybe soon the Browns!  Yeah baby!!!

Hoping to get a FQB and taking steps to acquire one is the issue we are talking about here. 

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Losing now does not = winning later.  All it = is a chance to maybe draft a QB who might be good.

Newsflash, we have that chance every single draft.  We had it last year, with Deshaun Watson, and the "Suck for Sam" crowd foolishly argued against him.  For a Safety, lol.

We're a good chance to win next week vs. one of those teams.  So we'd be 3-2, and they 0-4.  

The "Suck for Sam", i.e. "Suck for the #1 Pick" is over.  It's dead.  As it was always destined to be.  We're not that bad, other teams are.

So why root against wins?  Why be unhappy?  Our chances in the draft haven't actually changed, we're likely in the 6-12 range, which any rational fan knew we'd be.

In a draft the very same "suck for Sam" folks has said is the deepest QB draft since the Marino Draft, we WILL have a chance at a QB in 2018.  We can trade up.  We can stand pat and draft who is there.  No one knows if the #1/#1 will be any good, or a bust, or if the #6 QB will be good, or a bust.

So enjoy the moment, because the moment is all we are guaranteed to have in this life.

So sucking for Sam and arguing against Watson are an A/B option though? 

Way to go against your own logic

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

So because we have cap space they have to sign with us?  UFA means they go where they want not where you think they should go.

While that makes sense in theory, there's one tiny problem with this argument you're making... it's not true.  Most of the players mentioned have multiple years left on their contracts.

Just now, Lupz27 said:

So because we have cap space they have to sign with us?  UFA means they go where they want not where you think they should go.

So... there's no chance for any of them to be extended before that, huh?

And I just looked at a contract tracker. Only Kerley and ASJ are UFA after this season and there's no way that ASJ isn't extended, as long as he continues playing like he is.

Just now, Bleedin Green said:

While that makes sense in theory, there's one tiny problem with this argument you're making... it's not true.  Most of the players mentioned have multiple years left on their contracts.

Yeah, I just looked that up. lol!

32 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Well being someone who was at the game it's impossible to root against the Jets, even when I can't stand the fact that McCown is the QB.  I don't think I'm very liked in the front row of the Mezz club seats TBH very my "rooting" ways.

I agree 100% diehards like us always root for the win.

Any game Joe Namath is in the house along with joewily12 its a great day!

22 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

We're destined for 8 wins. Losing tie breaker for playoff berth. 20th pick in draft. We'll take a $backer because having that as s depth position should go as well as having s stud DL.

Picking 10th and taking the second highest ranked LT sounds more Jetsy tbh.

Jets won - Yay

The problem with 'suck for sam' or any other tank talk is just a Hail Mary itself. Sam (or any other) QB is just a prospect. Yes, Sam is the best sure fire QB since Luck. Riddle me this Batman, how many SBs did Luck win? Now that he is hurt how good is the Colts team? Even if we get a good prospect, how many years do you think it will take for this QB to win us the Big game (or even win often)? Remember for every QB we get, he still needs to compete with the 10-12 other good/elite QBs.  Even if he is elite, you still need a winning team with him. So, you can't give up the store for him; and then if he doesn't pan out, you are dead for 3+ more years.

I really do get it. We are tired of crappy QB play. I am too. But, sucking doesn't guarantee success look at the Browns. Look at Carr tonight (we all loved him) and he is loosing to a team with Siemien at QB. We went to 2 AFCC games with Sanchez.

Revel in the wins - there won't be many this year. Enjoy watching the future of the team grow and learn, and let's worry about our franchise QB next year.

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Im still not convinced we get to 5 wins. After next week our schedule is completely brutal and we are just not that good, and McClown is a loser boat anchor for the future of this team. I am NOT rooting for us to lose that is so lame, but I do not see us being competitive, and every game we start McClown is a complete waste of development and assessment for this team.

I will say that Mac did a good job of picking up players that are making a contribution like Kearse, Ealy, Brooks, even Kerley and David Bass. But I can still see us only winning 1 or 2 more games this year. We are really bad. And McClown is a Fitzloser clone joke.

If we win as many as you think, Bowles gets retained and I can tell you this: HE WILL NEVER EVER START A YOUNG QB. Even if he finishes a season with one, we will bring another veteran loser in during the offseason,

4 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Jets won - Yay

The problem with 'suck for sam' or any other tank talk is just a Hail Mary itself. Sam (or any other) QB is just a prospect. Yes, Sam is the best sure fire QB since Luck. Riddle me this Batman, how many SBs did Luck win? Now that he is hurt how good is the Colts team? Even if we get a good prospect, how many years do you think it will take for this QB to win us the Big game (or even win often)? Remember for every QB we get, he still needs to compete with the 10-12 other good/elite QBs.  Even if he is elite, you still need a winning team with him. So, you can't give up the store for him; and then if he doesn't pan out, you are dead for 3+ more years.

I really do get it. We are tired of crappy QB play. I am too. But, sucking doesn't guarantee success look at the Browns. Look at Carr tonight (we all loved him) and he is loosing to a team with Siemien at QB. We went to 2 AFCC games with Sanchez.

Revel in the wins - there won't be many this year. Enjoy watching the future of the team grow and learn, and let's worry about our franchise QB next year.

So, worry about an event next year when it is directly impacted by ongoing events now?

That's like saying worry about heart disease when you get it years down the road, but not now as you're swallowing cheeseburgers whole and mainlining gravy.

1 minute ago, Spoot-Face said:

So, worry about an event next year when it is directly impacted by ongoing events now?

That's like saying worry about heart disease when you get it years down the road, but not now as you're swallowing cheeseburgers whole and mainlining gravy.

Carpe Diem baby!

1 minute ago, tfine said:

The draft is always ALWAYS a crap shoot...WTF makes people think Darnold is the answer???? Suck for Luck? Remember that? Where’s Luck now?? How many superbowls does he have???? Luck sucks!!! Mariota??? Please.....

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

No, the Colts suck. Luck kept them relevant.

3 minutes ago, tfine said:

The draft is always ALWAYS a crap shoot...WTF makes people think Darnold is the answer???? Suck for Luck? Remember that? Where’s Luck now?? How many superbowls does he have???? Luck sucks!!! Mariota??? Please.....

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

lol yeah those guys would be terrible for this team. thank god we didn't get to draft them. 

Archived