Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Smashmouth

Smash's Positive's/Negative's Week 4

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Gen X Jet said:

What's the deal with Ealy?  Why would Saint Belicheat part with this guy?

He didn't fit their scheme.  They're actually pretty deep at DE and had multiple rookies that were outperforming him in training camp.  I'm actually surprised he's playing this well, he certainly wasn't showing anything in preseason.

Also, historically Bellicheck doesn't care too much about pure pass rushers, he tends to be more interested in players that can set the edge and that don't freelance.  (Ealy, like other talented players has a tendency to go off script).  He let Jamie Collins and Chandler Jones go more or less for that reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
2 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

What game were you watching?

McCown did everything in his power to lose that game for us today.

The game you clearly missed. Please, outline what he did. Don't tell me the INT that Bilal bounced off his hands, or the other INT our running back slipped on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pointman said:

The game you clearly missed. Please, outline what he did. Don't tell me the INT that Bilal bounced off his hands, or the other INT our running back slipped on.

You must mean the ridiculous backward pass that hit Powell in the back.

We can discuss that - or the sack he took where he fumbled the ball away at a critical point in the game?

Or the interception he threw when Powell fell down?

Or the unnecessary sack he took because he was holding onto the ball too long in another critical situation?

Three turnovers - 2 that McCown was directly responsible for due to poor decision making.

Not to mention that he did not account for a single TD.

What game did you watch - because it sure wasn't McCown vs the Jaguars yesterday, because he was awful - short of one pass to Robby Anderson that he had to slow down to catch because it was under-thrown and another nice catch that ASJ leaped up to snatch in traffic.

McCown's official game stats were 22 for 31 for 224 yds 0 TD's & 1 INT.

He was sacked 5 times and fumbled 3 times - losing one of them, at a pivotal point in the game.

His QBR was 20.9 and he had a 77.9 passer rating.

Essentially, McCown was directly responsible for giving the Jaguars 10 points in the 4th quarter and sending the game to overtime.

For the season thus far, McCown has thrown as many INT's as he has TD's;  3 & 3.

http://www.nfl.com/player/joshmccown/2505076/gamelogs

The Jets won this game - despite having McCown at QB - not because of him.

The best QB the Jets have had in along time?

Get a clue.....then come back and talk football when you have a leg to stand on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Where do I start? The ridiculous backward pass that almost got Powell killed?

Or the sack where he fumbled the ball away at a critical point in the game?

Or the interception he threw when Powell fell down?

Or the unnecessary sack he took because he was holding onto the ball too long in another critical situation?

Three turnovers - 2 that McCown was directly responsible for due to poor decision making.

Not to mention that he did not account for a single TD.

What game did you watch - because it sure wasn't McCown vs the Jaguars yesterday, because he was awful - short of one pass to Robby Anderson that he had to slow down to catch because it was under-thrown.

McCown's official game stats were 22 for 31 for 224 yds 0 TD's & 1 INT.

His QBR was 20.9 and he had a 77.9 passer rating.

He was sacked 5 times and fumbled 3 times - losing one of them, at what was probably the most pivotal point in the game.

For the season thus far, McCown has thrown as many INT's as he has TD's;  3 & 3.

http://www.nfl.com/player/joshmccown/2505076/gamelogs

The best QB the Jets have had in along time?

Get a clue.....then come back and talk football when you have a leg to stand on.

With those stats if he were at USC he would be considered the top draft pick!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Okay, then.

I'm glad I at least have your permission for that.

What the **** did you ask me for then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

What the **** did you ask me for then?

You seemed to take umbrage at my remark/joke that Posluszny was better than our LBs, because of one bad mistake of his. I just wanted to know if you'd give me the same leniency in judging Lee. That is all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

You must mean the ridiculous backward pass that hit Powell in the back.

We can discuss that - or the sack he took where he fumbled the ball away at a critical point in the game?

Or the interception he threw when Powell fell down?

Or the unnecessary sack he took because he was holding onto the ball too long in another critical situation?

Three turnovers - 2 that McCown was directly responsible for due to poor decision making.

Not to mention that he did not account for a single TD.

What game did you watch - because it sure wasn't McCown vs the Jaguars yesterday, because he was awful - short of one pass to Robby Anderson that he had to slow down to catch because it was under-thrown and another nice catch that ASJ leaped up to snatch in traffic.

McCown's official game stats were 22 for 31 for 224 yds 0 TD's & 1 INT.

He was sacked 5 times and fumbled 3 times - losing one of them, at a pivotal point in the game.

His QBR was 20.9 and he had a 77.9 passer rating.

Essentially, McCown was directly responsible for giving the Jaguars 10 points in the 4th quarter and sending the game to overtime.

For the season thus far, McCown has thrown as many INT's as he has TD's;  3 & 3.

http://www.nfl.com/player/joshmccown/2505076/gamelogs

The Jets won this game - despite having McCown at QB - not because of him.

The best QB the Jets have had in along time?

Get a clue.....then come back and talk football when you have a leg to stand on.

If you think that pass hit Bilal in his back, you might want to get a bigger tv or better glasses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2017 at 2:03 AM, pointman said:

If you think that pass hit Bilal in his back, you might want to get a bigger tv or better glasses. 

My bad, saw the replay on Sports Center - it hit Powell in the shoulder - not in the hands as you said - and not in the back as I said.

That's the best response you have?

Point, set, match - thanks for playing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

What game were you watching?

McCown did everything in his power to lose that game for us today.

This! He had a few good plays like the bomb to Anderson and some good dump offs; but he held the ball way too long and cost us a field goal; the backwards pass cost us 7; The tank is on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Essentially, McCown was directly responsible for giving the Jaguars 10 points in the 4th quarter and sending the game to overtime.

 

The interception at the end was the WRs fault - he threw the ball before the WR slipped - can't hold that against him. D - came up big to keep it to 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:
The interception at the end was the WRs fault - he threw the ball before the WR slipped - can't hold that against him. D - came up big to keep it to 3.

So you are giving him a pass on his INT, what about his 5 sacks, 3 fumbles and 1 fumble lost?

QB fundamentals 101; Take care of the football - and know when to throw the ball away - as opposed to taking a sack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

So you are giving him a pass on his INT, what about his 5 sacks, 3 fumbles and 1 fumble lost?

QB fundamentals 101; Take care of the football - and know when to throw the ball away - as opposed to taking a sack.

Oh no; I had earlier posts stating that the Jets won in spite of him; He was terrible; if he had an average day, Jets walk away with it. He stunk so bad I don't see the point NOT starting Petty next week.... He was Terrible.

I just don't think that one interception was his fault. I try to call them fairly, so I don't blame him for that. His play, holding the ball too long, and stupid decisions almost cost us the game. He even had a pass that should have been a pick. Just saying that 1 mistake wasn't his....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://thejetpress.com/2017/10/02/new-york-jets-beat-jacksonville-jaguars-week-4-coaching-grades/

New York Jets beat Jacksonville Jaguars: Week 4 Coaching grades

Todd Bowles didn’t smile a lot during the game between the New York Jets and Jacksonville Jaguars, but after his game plan came to fruition, by way of a 23-20 victory in overtime, he can.

The New York Jets coaching staff deserves high praise from everyone after the way the New York Jets came out against one of the league’s top scoring offenses. The Jets had a perfect game plan on offense and defense to hold the Jaguars at bay for most of this game.

The Jets attacked the two main weaknesses of the Jaguars in this game, the quarterback and the run defense. The trick against quarterback Blake Bortles is to hit him and put pressure on him, and the Jets coaching staff made the correct changes to do so.

Defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers made some changes to the Jets defense that was clear early. In order to attack the Jacksonville offensive line, which had given up only two sacks all season long, the Jets switched from an odd front to an even front using four down linemen. In doing so, they were able to move Darron Lee to his more natural position, 4-3 outside linebacker.

This helped facilitate a beleaguered pass rush, which had three sacks and six quarterback hits in the game. While the Jets got hurt in terms of yards allowed in the run defense, they didn’t allow a rushing touchdown, and it was the first time Jacksonville runners were held out of the end zone.

In terms of the offense, John Morton took advantage of the league fifth-worst run defense coming into the game on Sunday. The Jets ran the ball 31 times with Elijah McGuireand Bilal Powell, and it was to the tune of 256 yards. He even got both of them involved in the passing game with six catches for 65 yards.

The coaches deserve huge kudos for their game plan to attack Jacksonville. It was a perfect game plan for this game.

Week 4 Coaching Grade: A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

This! He had a few good plays like the bomb to Anderson and some good dump offs; but he held the ball way too long and cost us a field goal; the backwards pass cost us 7; The tank is on.

He's improving. Another year or two and I think he becomes our long awaited franchise QB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bostonmajet said:
The interception at the end was the WRs fault - he threw the ball before the WR slipped - can't hold that against him. D - came up big to keep it to 3.

Don't forget he gifted a pick 6 that was just dropped by the defender. I'm sure it's just growing pains. He just needs to get used to the speed of the NFL game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Don't forget he gifted a pick 6 that was just dropped by the defender. I'm sure it's just growing pains. He just needs to get used to the speed of the NFL game. 

Gifted pick 6; two almost INTs, taking sacks by holding ball too long; the list goes on and on. Not a good game for him - I was just pointing out that 1 INT wasn't on him. He had a terrible game....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

My bad, saw the replay on Sports Center - it hit Powell in the shoulder, not in the hands.

That's the best response you have?

Point, set, match - thanks for playing.

 

Yeah, no need to go any further with someone who's argument started with saying the ball hit the running back in the back. Clearly you're not very knowledgeable or paying much attention. So, enjoy your tennis reference. You won!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, pointman said:

Yeah, no need to go any further with someone who's argument started with saying the ball hit the running back in the back. Clearly you're not very knowledgeable or paying much attention. So, enjoy your tennis reference. You won!

Yeah, let's just ignore the fact that you couldn't even come up with a legitimate response, when I pointed out all of McCown's piss-poor statistics from last week vs the JAGS - not to mention his statistics for the season which are also mediocre at best.

What little credibility you might have had, went straight down the toilet when you made the absurd statement that Josh McCown was the best QB the Jets have had in a long time.

How do you even show your face around here again, after making such a ridiculous, uninformed statement like that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Yeah, let's just ignore the fact that you couldn't even come up with a legitimate response, when I pointed out all of McCown's piss-poor statistics from last week vs the JAGS - not to mention his statistics for the season which are also mediocre at best.

What little credibility you might have had, went straight down the toilet when you made the absurd statement that Josh McCown was the best QB the Jets have had in a long time.

How do you even show your face around here again, after making such a ridiculous, uninformed statement like that?

umad.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I understand not liking McCown's performance on Sunday, but you guys want to blame him for holding the ball too long?  I think that is the main reason that Petty and Hackenberg don't play. I think they would get sacked at least twice as often as McCown.

McCown got sacked 5 times last Sunday.

I'm sorry but I don't see Petty or Hack taking 10 sacks.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

McCown got sacked 5 times last Sunday.

I'm sorry but I don't see Petty or Hack taking 10 sacks.

The only reason you don't see it is because they are not playing. 

Hackenberg was getting sacked like crazy all preseason.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

McCown got sacked 5 times last Sunday.

I'm sorry but I don't see Petty or Hack taking 10 sacks.

 

 

McCown has the lowest time to throw of any active, starting QB in the NFL. It is absurd to think both of these two guys - both of whom take too many sacks as it is - would be getting rid of it as quickly, let alone faster.

I think McCown should be benched for other reasons, but the idea that Petty or Hackenberg would be regularly getting rid of the ball even equally as fast is baseless. After being coddled for 2 full Jets camps, Hackenberg still doesn't even bother to look at fully half the defense before the snap. It's entirely possible he'd have gotten sacked twice as often as McCown's 3x/game this year.

What would most likely have prevented Hackenberg taking 10 sacks is a lack of opportunity (getting pulled, getting injured, or the team calling only 20 pass plays instead of 30+). The only other hope is having him do nothing but throw 3 yard passes like his first preseason start this year. Yeah he'll get sacked less, but we'll still lose against defenses that are actually gameplanning.

A sack that comes in 2 seconds or less, particularly when coming from the side of the field the QB is looking away from no less, isn't the best example of holding the ball too long and shouldn't be lumped in with times he actually is holding it too long. On those types of plays it's going to happen with Petty and Hackenberg just as easily as with McCown. Then there are also the dozens other times in just 4 games where he has gotten rid of it early, before a sack, that those two wouldn't have.

Doesn't mean keep them both on the bench, but realize they're going to get sacked plenty as well. This isn't a stellar pass-blocking group we've got on the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2017 at 9:10 PM, pointman said:

I saw him make one play.. and assist in a 2nd tackle.. thats it. Every other time I saw him, it wasn't pretty. He over ran plays, got burned on others, and got washed out by linemen.

i guess he had 9 for the game.  they seemed to be very quiet.  hard to believe davis has 49 tackles thus far.  that's about half of his total from last season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×