Game Observations (JAX)

KRL

12 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

I don't think it's a terrible idea. If the Jets really want to build toward the future. They have Powell lite with McGuire. Get an extra pick now to put use towards the future when they'll actually try to compete. 

Since we will probably drafting at 6-8 take the PSU running back Barkley. He'll be our "Zeke" and hope Petty/ Hack can be the answer.

12 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

I saw someone on twitter mention trading Powell before the deadline. Since he'll be 29, and would probably get a lot more then Forte would at this point. Which are good points, especially with teams like Vikings and Green Bay may be looking for a new RB. 

I thought about that as well but the thing about Powell is that he's a fairly "young 29" meaning he hasn't taken the beating most RB's have by his age mainly b/c he's been mostly a backup/situation RB with Ivory and then Forte carrying the load the last 4 years.  That being said, I still wouldn't be apposed to moving him at the right price as painful as that could be since he's really become a fan favorite.

Couple thoughts on the game

While I think Morton is going a great job with the offense, I was surprised that we kept going with the "Jumbo/Lawernce Thomas" package as the game wore on. The big runs by Powell and Eli Mac were both out of spread formations and we seemed to be having a lot more success spreading the Jags defense out, and a lot less success with the bigger package and trying to run between the tackles.  Just seemed like we went away from what was working.

When Lee went out (granted it was only a couple plays) but Julian Stanford made 2 huge plays.  Ive defended Lee, but this defense might be better with Stanford at ILB and Lee playing more of a hybrid role as a blitzer.

ASJ is a physical specimen, that catch was all about his size and athleticism.  I hope he continues to work hard at being an NFL player, because he could really be a top TE in the league

We have some very good offensive line depth.  People have killed Mac for not  addressing the Oline but we have withstood injuries to 2 starters already and the line didnt miss a beat.  I would still like to find a good center in the draft to hopefully bring the line as a whole up, but they are playing well.

I would love the opportunity to see Petty with this offense.  He has had 6 weeks to completely heal his knee, and 4 weeks of game preparation to further improve his knowledge of the system.  McCown has been fine, but obviously isnt the answer, and with Robby Anderson stretching the field and the RBs being so good in space, I would like to see what Petty could bring to the table.

13 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Yes if we cant trade him cut him. 

I don't see a team (Vikings) trading for a guy like Forte and we don't exactly have enough depth to cut Forte. Hopefully, the coaching staff gives him the Apete treatment which basically means you won't see him for more than a couple of plays a game unless there is an injury. This should be the Powell/Mcguire show for the rest of the season. 

6 minutes ago, BCJet said:

While I think Morton is going a great job with the offense, I was surprised that we kept going with the "Jumbo/Lawernce Thomas" package as the game wore on. The big runs by Powell and Eli Mac were both out of spread formations and we seemed to be having a lot more success spreading the Jags defense out, and a lot less success with the bigger package and trying to run between the tackles.  Just seemed like we went away from what was working.

When Lee went out (granted it was only a couple plays) but Julian Stanford made 2 huge plays.  Ive defended Lee, but this defense might be better with Stanford at ILB and Lee playing more of a hybrid role as a blitzer.

ASJ is a physical specimen, that catch was all about his size and athleticism.  I hope he continues to work hard at being an NFL player, because he could really be a top TE in the league

We have some very good offensive line depth.  People have killed Mac for not  addressing the Oline but we have withstood injuries to 2 starters already and the line didnt miss a beat.  I would still like to find a good center in the draft to hopefully bring the line as a whole up, but they are playing well.

I would love the opportunity to see Petty with this offense.  He has had 6 weeks to completely heal his knee, and 4 weeks of game preparation to further improve his knowledge of the system.  McCown has been fine, but obviously isnt the answer, and with Robby Anderson stretching the field and the RBs being so good in space, I would like to see what Petty could bring to the table.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure Thomas crushed a guy which helped spring Powell on the long TD run. 

13 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

I saw someone on twitter mention trading Powell before the deadline. Since he'll be 29, and would probably get a lot more then Forte would at this point. Which are good points, especially with teams like Vikings and Green Bay may be looking for a new RB. 

He'll be 29, but it's not a real NFL running back 29.   He hasn't carried the ball 1500 times in his career, he's not even at 600 career carries.   Because of that, he should last a bit longer.

31 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Funny I mentioned this might happen BEFORE the game was played. Jax has a very good, active front 7, Parcells pounded a lot too, it helps you in the 4th quarter slowing those guys down. See below. I'm really liking Morton, guy is flexible which is a good trait in today's NFL. Pack em in, spread em, out, Jets did to the Jags what 3 other teams couldn't, wore their D down a bit. Our Oline is getting better in the run game which takes time. Very impressive by the Oline coach.

"Could Lawrence Thomas be our secret weapon at FB to help out on the right side with Shell out? I could see Morton moving him around a bit, like having an extra lineman who can block, make holes to a RB, and catch out of the backfield. Pretty cool."

24 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure Thomas crushed a guy which helped spring Powell on the long TD run. 

He might have - I was speaking more to the formation/personnel grouping of extra TEs and a FB vs 3 wide and running out of a spread formation

this is more or less the same offensive line as last year, but it looks very different.  this is what an offense looks like with an OC who has a plan, a system, and a qb who knows the system.  the question is, if petty went in there, would the offense continue to function like this?

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

this is more or less the same offensive line as last year, but it looks very different.  this is what an offense looks like with an OC who has a plan, a system, and a qb who knows the system.  the question is, if petty went in there, would the offense continue to function like this?

That's the question we don't know. Petty in the times I've watched him never looked comfortable leading but he's never played behind a complete line & this many guys who know the offense. 

13 hours ago, Larz said:

I missed a lot of the dolphin game, but the Jets just aren't getting beat deep 

Much love to the rookie safeties 

Hard to judge much off these two wins.  If you watched the Fish yesterday, their O is just awful right now.  Bortles might be the worst QB in the NFL

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

Hard to judge much off these two wins.  If you watched the Fish yesterday, their O is just awful right now.  Bortles might be the worst QB in the NFL

McCown and Anderson have scorched teams deep 

These rookies are playing great 

2 minutes ago, De-Jet-Erate/Duane said:

This place would come onglued if the Jets did that. 

Normally, I'd agree.  But if Rosen is gone, Barkley is intriguing.  The kid looks like the best RB to come out since AP so far.  Better than Gurley, Elliot and Fournette.  If you're going to make an impact with the pick, he's probably the #1 option.  If the OL improves, we get Q back, and you plug Barkley in there, you might not need Aaron Rodgers to win a SB.  Maybe a FA like Brees decides it's not such a bad place to spend his final year or two.

12 minutes ago, De-Jet-Erate/Duane said:

This place would come onglued if the Jets did that. 

If Petty steps up this year and shows something, MacDaddy might actually go with probably the best offensive player in the draft. Kid is a marvel! He is an Elliott type player. I'm all for finding a Kareem Hunt in the 3rd, but Barkly is special.

5 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Normally, I'd agree.  But if Rosen is gone, Barkley is intriguing.  The kid looks like the best RB to come out since AP so far.  Better than Gurley, Elliot and Fournette.  If you're going to make an impact with the pick, he's probably the #1 option.  If the OL improves, we get Q back, and you plug Barkley in there, you might not need Aaron Rodgers to win a SB.  Maybe a FA like Brees decides it's not such a bad place to spend his final year or two.

Sign me up for Barkley in the first and Luke Falk in the second - running Morton's offense with Enunwa back playing the hybrid H-Back/WR role he played in 2015, with ASJ as TE, Mcguire as a change of pace back, and one FA WR signing to pair with Robby, Adarius and Kearse and that (to me) is an offense that  you can do quite a bit with.

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

In this type of scenario I would be ok with the move. I love the kid. We would still need a qb from someplace and a monster running game will help a young qb develop.

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

If Petty steps up this year and shows something, MacDaddy might actually go with probably the best offensive player in the draft. Kid is a marvel! He is an Elliott type player. I'm all for finding a Kareem Hunt in the 3rd, but Barkly is special.

That would be a great thing for us. Hopefully Petty gets his shot soon.

16 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

I'll give you that within reason as we haven't exactly played any world beaters as of yet...and for the defense mostly.

McCown is doing nothing for us throwing 5 yd routes to Kearse and Kerley, or dumping it off to a RB.  Was that our 'plan' for developing an offense this year?  Get a couple of veteran possession receivers to let our 38 yo retread QB to throw to?  On a good team, Kearse is nothing more than a reliable #3 and Kerley maybe a #4/5 WR and someone that can fair catch a punt reliably.  I like what they're doing with ASJ, but I never see Stewart or Hansen sniff the field, and Robby Anderson isn't a great fit for a WCO that takes limited shots downfield.  It took an injury to Forte to have him not get the majority reps in a game.

They've sprinkled in Stewart and McGuire's role is certainly increasing with Forte's injury. For me though the biggest thing is having the Oline gel some with a Vet presence. Now that they appear to have stabilized  perhaps it makes it easier to transition to Petty and or Hack. My only complaint at this point like yours is Kerley playing over Stewart/Hansen.

7 hours ago, KRL said:

Can we please stop the "updated narrative" that MIA & JAX stink now that we beat them.
From what I've been hearing all offseason the Jets had the worst roster in the league
and would be lucky to win a game.  They're 2-2 with another winnable game against CLE
coming up.  That doesn't mean they're going to the playoffs but this is a young team
trending in the right direction.  And don't tell me the fanbase wouldn't be excited
in two weeks if the team is 3-2 with NE coming into MetLife 

The Jets were home underdogs to both teams . The well they stink narrative is of teh SOJF ilk.

The Lee drop was huge because if he catches that, they are in FG range with a first down.  That was the play that changed the game back in the Jets favor.

McCown played a very safe game, and I'm going to look at the tapes to see what kind of formations were the Jags using in this game.  Most defenses have been using 3 wide or 4 wide lines against us, leaving the middle of the field open, and we saw 3 huge runs.  I would like to see if this affected a change.  Once the Rbs were slowed down, McCown was McCown again.  He doesn't do much by himself to win games and it would behoove the Jets to give Petty a shot, which they won't because they are winning right now.  

Bortles sucks.  Caldwell, after rejecting the Jets, went to the Jags and did a really good job of building up that team.  Take out the QB, and they are actually very talented.  Unfortunately, they screwed up big time on Bortles.  Remember, they picked him ahead of Carr/Bridgewater/Garrapolo.  It's a horrendous draft move, one that may cost him his job down the line.  Bortles checks all the boxes in his ability, but he can't read defenses, and his delivery is extremely slow.  I see a bit of Bortles in Josh Allen.   

McGuire is a nice find.  He dropped a bit because his 40 wasn't quite as fast as expected, but he outran the defense yesterday.  

20 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The way this team is evolving, a Barkley draft & a Brees addition, especially if Enunwa comes back, WOW! Morton would be like Sean Payton finding roles for McGuire ect. You know damn well what Brees could do throwing to Kearse, Enunwa, Anderson, ASJ, probably turn Stewart into a star! throwing to Barkley & McGuire out of the backfield!

SIGN MY AZZ UP FOR THAT! With that lineup, Brees could rip that sh*tty Pats defense a new one! Especially because our defense will be above average too next year, playing with more leads. Whole different game not playing on your heels.

12 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

They've sprinkled in Stewart and McGuire's role is certainly increasing with Forte's injury. For me though the biggest thing is having the Oline gel some with a Vet presence. Now that they appear to have stabilized  perhaps it makes it easier to transition to Petty and or Hack. My only complaint at this point like yours is Kerley playing over Stewart/Hansen.

I don't know that I would describe the O-line as gelling.  Last week they played Dozier in place of Winters.  This week Qvale in place of Shell.  I think that it may be coaching/scheme.  They put Qvale at TE outside of Shell to protect him some and force the run against the Raiders and I think they got on a bit of a roll.  Does anybody have much opinion on Beachum?  I assume he is doing at least okay which is a good sign, particularly since he is signed through 2019 and so much cheaper than Clady

19 hours ago, KRL said:

The best way to describe the win over JAX is an ugly, entertaining rollercoaster
ride.  The Jet OLine was the major factor in this physical, "phone booth" game
let's take a look:

- A scrappy, fiesty and resilient effort because there were plenty of opportunities
to hang their heads.  Is this team developing an identity?

- Have we seen the last of Matt Forte?  With the dynamic performances of Bilal
Powell and Elijah McGuire can the coaching staff really take reps away from them
and give them to a 31 year old RB?  What a pleasure to have RB's that are always
a threat to break off 50+ yard runs.

- Excellent game by the entire OLine as they dominated the JAX front and generated
over 200 yards on the ground.  Don't let the sack stats fool you, at least 2-3 of
those were because Josh McCown held the ball too long.  And don't forget Brent
Qvale was subbing for Brandon Shell, credit to Steve Marshall (OLine coach) for
having the backups ready to play.

- David Bass with another excellent game as he continued to bring edge pressure.
He had a sack a TFL and did a good job setting the edge in the run game.  Lorenzo
Mauldin needs to take note as he recovers on IR.

- Kony Ealy with a huge impact game as he had 4 pass blocks and an INT that set up 
a FG.

- Leonard Williams with a nice game clogging up the run lanes and breaking down
JAX OLine schemes multiple times.

- Josh McCown ended up with good "game manager" stats but he has to show better
decision making.  He held the ball too long on a number of occasions which led to
sacks.  And to me the scoop & score that made it 20-17 was his fault because
he rushed the pass to Powell.  After the 40+ yard bomb to Robby Anderson there was 
no need to rush the next play.  Be conservative and run the clock there was no
way Blake Bortles was going to generate two scores in the 4th quarter.

- Lachlan Edwards with a rollercoaster ride of a game.  The lows were the short
punt in OT that put JAX on the edge of FG range.  And not being aware at the end
of the first half that he needed to be on the field for the FG attempt which
led to a delay of game penalty.  Edwards was celebrating one of his highs, the
fake punt pass as the clock was ticking down.  The other high was the 70 yard
punt which pinned JAX back inside the 5 yard line.

- Props to Chandler Catanzaro for the game winning FG but you can't miss
the kick at the end of the first half.

- Good follow up game by Demario Davis as he continued to be physical and laid
some serious licks on Chris Ivory & Leonard Fournette. 

- The self-inflicted wounds have to be eliminated because this team isn't good
enough to overcome them on a regular basis.  Penalties in FG range, holding the
ball too long for sacks and not being aware that you're needed on the field can't
happen.

- Robby Anderson was relatively quiet because of the excellent play by AJ Bouye &
Jalen Ramsey.  But his speed is ridiculous because on the 40 yard bomb he
torched Bouye with a simple stutter move.

- Blake Bortles stinks and his coaching staff knows it.  They play around him hoping
he doesn't screw up the game.

- The Jets should send Marquise Lee a game ball as he had a huge drop in OT.  And
he then mishandled Edwards punt which put them inside the 10 yard line.     

I was at the game also. I agree with everything here except the first series it looked like Robby Anderson beat Bouye deep twice - but McCown wasnt looking his way. I would also add that it was a very good crowd that was really into the game.

6 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Bortles sucks.  Caldwell, after rejecting the Jets, went to the Jags and did a really good job of building up that team.  Take out the QB, and they are actually very talented.  Unfortunately, they screwed up big time on Bortles.  Remember, they picked him ahead of Carr/Bridgewater/Garrapolo.  It's a horrendous draft move, one that may cost him his job down the line.  Bortles checks all the boxes in his ability, but he can't read defenses, and his delivery is extremely slow.  I see a bit of Bortles in Josh Allen.   

Plus AFAICT he makes Hack look accurate

6 minutes ago, win4ever said:

McGuire is a nice find.  He dropped a bit because his 40 wasn't quite as fast as expected, but he outran the defense yesterday.  

Yeah, that was some damn fine burst.  I guess more evidence that your 40 time isn't everything...

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Does anybody have much opinion on Beachum?  I assume he is doing at least okay which is a good sign, particularly since he is signed through 2019 and so much cheaper than Clady

Well, he seems to be getting mentioned about as often as Mo, which is good for one of them...

2 minutes ago, thshadow said:

Plus AFAICT he makes Hack look accurate

Yeah, that was some damn fine burst.  I guess more evidence that your 40 time isn't everything...

It's perplexing that he hasn't taken off, because they gave him everything to be a successful QB.  Although, Robinson is injured this year, he has Robinson, Hurns, Lee with Yeldon/Ivory, an OK TE.  He had the opportunity to be a decent QB but he just hasn't progressed at all.   

I was surprised because I was expecting him to be caught down the line but no one did.  He always looked fast on tape, but seemed to have limited top end speed.  There were a few highlights in college where he was caught from behind.  However, he has great agility and make guys miss really well.  While it's not a sexy pick like Alvin Kamara, I think it could really help the team down the road.  

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't know that I would describe the O-line as gelling.  Last week they played Dozier in place of Winters.  This week Qvale in place of Shell.  I think that it may be coaching/scheme.  They put Qvale at TE outside of Shell to protect him some and force the run against the Raiders and I think they got on a bit of a roll.  Does anybody have much opinion on Beachum?  I assume he is doing at least okay which is a good sign, particularly since he is signed through 2019 and so much cheaper than Clady

The truth is that our line has solid depth at this point, given that in 4 games we have had 3 different line combinations (with Winters missing one game and Shell missing sunday) and the backups have come in and we havent lost all that much.  

Beachem seems to be playing ok.  I watched him a lot yesterday (was at game) and the Jags DE was really lining up wide which resulted in Beachem really just directing him away from the play a lot.

Although they did well in the running game yesterday, the right side of Qvale and winters was getting pushed back a lot, those guys are just very light and the Jags front was very tough.  I hope we can keep drafting and developing lineman to continue to build depth around the starters.

Archived