Mac's first round picks

AFJF

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, the draft isn't about the top 6. One can make the argument that when Mac has had to pick outside the top 6, he fails. Picking a stud DL (who has been invisible this year for some reason) and a Safety (hold your horses, he's not the GOAT just yet) with a top 6 pick isn't exactly something to be pounding your chest over when most other picks have been busts relative to their draft spot. 

27 minutes ago, AFJF said:

GM's who pick good players in the top 10 should get no credit when they hit on their picks because it's just too easy.

Image result for Mark Sanchez drafted

The best QB drafted by the Jets since Chad Pennington, and that's a massive reason for concern. 

2 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Unfortunately, the draft isn't about the top 6. One can make the argument that when Mac has had to pick outside the top 6, he fails. Picking a stud DL (who has been invisible this year for some reason) and a Safety (hold your horses, he's not the GOAT just yet) with a top 6 pick isn't exactly something to be pounding your chest over when most other picks have been busts relative to their draft spot. 

I've been told more times than I can count that he gets no credit for Leo and he gets no credit for Adams, because picking great players that early is just too easy...a given.

51 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I know, I know....Mac is no Mangini, and we all know how EAAAASSSSYYYY it is to find elite talent when you're picking 6th.

file-chicago-bears-agree-to-terms-with-d

The FO for this pick didn't exactly get stoned for the pick. He was considered atop draft prospect and drafted as such. It's not like Tanny reached and grabbed a short LB or drafted a QB in the 2nd nobody had in their boards until the 5th round and rightfully so. When you take that massive leap for a QB, you end up pitting a lot of eggs in one basket. Without the Leo lottery pick, Mac probably gets fired sooner than later. 

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I've been told more times than I can count that he gets no credit for Leo and he gets no credit for Adams, because picking great players that early is just too easy...a given.

There is an enormous difference when you find a true gem outside the top 6. That's where you separate yourself from the rest. 

1 minute ago, j4jets said:

The FO for this pick didn't exactly get stoned for the pick. He was considered atop draft prospect and drafted as such. It's not like Tanny reached and grabbed a short LB or drafted a QB in the 2nd nobody had in their boards until the 5th round and rightfully so. When you take that massive leap for a QB, you end up pitting a lot of eggs in one basket. Without the Leo lottery pick, Mac probably gets fired sooner than later. 

Right, because with Mo Sheldon already on the roster and Kevin White staring him in the face, Leo was such an easy choice.  Nobody was unhappy about that pick.

Just now, j4jets said:

There is an enormous difference when you find a true gem outside the top 6. That's where you separate yourself from the rest. 

You mean like Robby Anderson?

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

I know right...guys like shell starting at RT a year after being drafted in the 5th what a bust, and Jordan jenkins in the 3rd hasn't even made one probowl bust and burris and peak you barely see...who drafts developmental players beyond as early as the 4th - 7th round come on now.

His first draft wasn't spectacular outside of Leonard Williams. Petty looks alright I think he was a good value in the fourth and Deion Simon in the 7th was pretty good for his draft position. Devin Smith I would have loved to see more of unfortunatly he has been as fragile as dee milliner.

Not going to go over the newest draft as it is way too early to judge these kids based off of four game some of them are showing good flashes though haven't seen or heard much bad from them. 

Either way not every draft pick is going to be a future pro bowler I think your expectations are a bit unrealistic if you honestly believe that most of our picks in the passed three years have been busts relative to their draft spots. I would love to see a list of teams you believe have done a better job in the passed three years along with an explanation of why their round 2-7 guys are better than ours. 

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Shouldn’t this be banished to the draft forum?

Nope.  These guys are on the team now, draft forum is to discuss which safety Mac is going to take at no. 1 overall NEXT year.

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

JN definitely needed s thread where @j4jets and @AFJF argue over Sanchez. My hope is that we can eventually get a definitive ruling on the Vaynerchuck bros outrage given that the hotdog swallower never did anything greater than ramming it up his own teams butt.

Is there really anyone who still thinks Sanchez wasn't garbage?

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Define garbage. Or just wait, I'm sure someone will pose a hypothetical argument that better contextualizes it.

Garbage = Sanchez

Now back to 2017

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

Discuss

The Adams pick is still not a great pick, IF 5 years from now the Jets are still trotting out 38 year old bridge QB's while Watson, or Mahomes are taking their teams to the playoffs no matter how great Adams is the pick was a failure considering the absolute dire need for a QB the Jets had/have.

Just now, Lupz27 said:

The Adams pick is still not a great pick, IF 5 years from now the Jets are still trotting out 38 year old bridge QB's while Watson, or Mahomes are taking their teams to the playoffs no matter how great Adams is the pick was a failure considering the absolute dire need for a QB the Jets had/have.

I don't know what's going to happen five years from now, so I'm going based on what we know today, which is that he has played SS, FS, CB and LB at a high level.  I'm not sure I'll ever feel like a player who can do all of those things isn't a great pick.

Not sure what there is to discuss about this topic, being a starter on one of the worst rosters in the league isn't exactly an impressive feat.  Leo for as great as I think he is, is falling into the same category that everyone used to beat Mo up about, he doesn't make impact, game changing plays.  Just a solid player very stout vs. the run.  Not a whole lot in terms of pass rush.

Adams looks great at doing his job.  He seems to be a great assignment type of player.  He's probably never out of position and makes great pre snap reads.  While the resume is short, he too, is a solid player that doesn't do anything other than his job.  Clearly subject to change.  He's a baby.  

Lee, played his best game yesterday I can recall and he's still terrible. 

So what are we discussing?  Is this a lets celebrate Mac is our bestest GM ever because he didn't draft a bust in the top 6 type of thread?  Well, that could be debatable. Not only did potential "best player in the draft" fall to him but he had to make a decision on both and one looks terrible while the other is debatable.  Watson is looking like a huge mistake and the debate vs. Beasly and Williams is legit (though I still favor Williams).

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

Not sure what there is to discuss about this topic, being a starter on one of the worst rosters in the league isn't exactly an impressive feat.  Leo for as great as I think he is, is falling into the same category that everyone used to beat Mo up about, he doesn't make impact, game changing plays.  Just a solid player very stout vs. the run.  Not a whole lot in terms of pass rush.

Adams looks great at doing his job.  He seems to be a great assignment type of player.  He's probably never out of position and makes great pre snap reads.  While the resume is short, he too, is a solid player that doesn't do anything other than his job.  Clearly subject to change.  He's a baby.  

Lee, played his best game yesterday I can recall and he's still terrible. 

So what are we discussing?  Is this a lets celebrate Mac is our bestest GM ever because he didn't draft a bust in the top 6 type of thread?  Well, that could be debatable. Not only did potential "best player in the draft" fall to him but he had to make a decision on both and one looks terrible while the other is debatable.  Watson is looking like a huge mistake and the debate vs. Beasly and Williams is legit (though I still favor Williams).

It's a Jets fan who is happy that the current GM didn't draft a bum with the majority of his first round picks.  Is that such a bad thing?

37 minutes ago, AFJF said:

It's a Jets fan who is happy that the current GM didn't draft a bum with the majority of his first round picks.  Is that such a bad thing?

Not at all.  I just didn't understand the point of the thread.  Celebrating non-busts is cool because it's better than drafting a bust. 

4 hours ago, j4jets said:

I agree. And Macc has found some interesting late round players. Shell and McGuire. A UDFA in Anderson and scraps from other teams (Bass, Ealy)

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

JN definitely needed s thread where @j4jets and @AFJF argue over Sanchez. My hope is that we can eventually get a definitive ruling on the Vaynerchuck bros outrage given that the hotdog swallower never did anything greater than ramming it up his own teams butt.

Look at the bright side. We have Hack. 

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

You mean like Robby Anderson?

Or Devin Smith and Hack. Now I'm not ready to crown Robbie an all-pro just yet. Averaging a little more than 50 yards a game would be a good start though. 

Just now, j4jets said:

Or Devin Smith and Hack. Now I'm not ready to crown Robbie an all-pro just yet. Averaging a little more than 50 yards a game would be a good start though. 

What percentage of GM's do you believe hit on all of their picks?

Archived