Claiborne vs Jax

AFJF

5 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Shouldn’t be that hard to shut down average receivers with a below average QB (and likely future Jets reclamation project at this rate) throwing them the ball. Claiborne is just using this as a season to get healthy and get paid next. 

A somewhat fair point, but by that logic the Jets' opposing CBs should also be topping the list on a weekly basis.

He is certainly far from the league's best, but he still does deserve some credit for his performance so far.

1 minute ago, sciond said:

If he stays healthy

Next year will be expensive.

His injury history will limit what he can demand in FA. Plus we have some young kids that could supplant him by next year. I don't think the plan was ever to watch Claiborne have a big contract year and then give an injury prone DB big money. 

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

His injury history will limit what he can demand in FA. Plus we have some young kids that could supplant him by next year. I don't think the plan was ever to watch Claiborne have a big contract year and then give an injury prone DB big money. 

I don't know about that. I think they're open to re-signing him, but they weren't banking on doing that either. He was signed to be a stopgap sideline CB, a talented one who's come on a discount because of his injury history. He's still decently young so bringing him back isn't out of the question.

Plus Mac loves bringing in vets so he doesn't force himself to make a move in the draft so I'm sure he wouldn't mind putting one position to bed for that.

The big problem, if this streak of valuable play holds, would be building a contract around that aforementioned injury history. Even if he played every game this season (knock on wood for that) it would be the first time in a six year career so that has to be a major factor. Another is the fact that a good man to man corner is hard to find and very valuable to this defense. And then there's the general problem with competing with free agency and convincing him to stick around. (Which shouldn't be hard as he might be more valuable here than anywhere else)

There are lots of ways to go about an extension with the excess cap space the team has. I'd prefer a front heavy approach with no signing bonuses.

If I might pay armchair GM (this never goes poorly;)) assuming once again that he continues to play well and provide a service as CB1, I think I'd give him a four year 40 million dollar deal with 15 million guaranteed.

2018- 11 million dollar base salary (fully guaranteed)

2019- 7 million dollar base salary (4 million guaranteed) 2 million in game day bonuses.

2020-21- 8 million dollar base salary (no guarantees) 2 million in game day bonuses.

So I'd give him a top 15ish type overall deal with his big pay day coming in year one and I have an "out" as soon as the second year of the contract. I also mitigate injury risk by attributing six million of his contract to a game day bonus, where he has to play in order to receive his full amount. 

Maybe the details would be different and the guarantees would be a bit less, but I think that's a feasible way to play it.

8 hours ago, RSJ said:

Claiborne has always had lockdown ability. Playing in that Tampa Two in Dallas was not a good fit. His durability is questionable - but otoh that defense they played in Dallas requires physical corners.

Claiborne needs to play in a man cover defense.  If he is a number 1 corner and follows a receiver around, the odds of him getting hurt are much less than if he is playing zone and coming up and tackling running backs and tight ends more.

15 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Shouldn’t be that hard to shut down average receivers with a below average QB (and likely future Jets reclamation project at this rate) throwing them the ball. Claiborne is just using this as a season to get healthy and get paid next. 

I liked the signing as it was a High Reward-Low Risk move for a VERY talented CB who had to settle for a "PROVE IT" contract and will BALL OUT ala LaRon Landry in 2013.

He's had his fair share of 5 yard holding penalties and, IIRC, he' been penalized at least once the first three games resulting in a 1st down.

I expect him to have a strong season, and I'm curious to see whether Mac will let resign Claiborne for BIG $$$ or let him walk via FA (he's ALWAYS injured & missing time) and recoup a comp pick for his 1 year services down the road.

It's tricky with him because he's been injury prone his whole career. However, if he's healthy all season he'll command a big contract in FA. I still try to get an extension done now averaging 11-12 million with outs that we can utilize if his injury problems reemerge. 

Claiborne, ASJ and Ealy shouldn't get out of this season without extensions. Youngish CB1, young pass catching TE and young pass rusher are all just sitting there waiting to get big contracts and we can get them below market value if we act fast.

5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

It's tricky with him because he's been injury prone his whole career. However, if he's healthy all season he'll command a big contract in FA. I still try to get an extension done now averaging 11-12 million with outs that we can utilize if his injury problems reemerge. 

Claiborne, ASJ and Ealy shouldn't get out of this season without extensions. Youngish CB1, young pass catching TE and young pass rusher are all just sitting there waiting to get big contracts and we can get them below market value if we act fast.

So the blueprint that Mac followed last year (recall resigning Winters BEFORE the FA and was LAMBASTED for a young, ascending, team-drafted Offensive Guard) should be followed again this year for our TE, OLB/DPR? I PASS on Claiborne.  

5 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

So the blueprint that Mac followed last year (recall resigning Winters BEFORE the FA and was LAMBASTED for a young, ascending, team-drafted Offensive Guard) should be followed again this year for our TE, OLB/DPR? I PASS on Claiborne.  

Winters played out his final contract year and was going to hit free agency. We signed him when he had the leverage. That's why Winters cost  us as much as he did. 

18 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

A somewhat fair point, but by that logic the Jets' opposing CBs should also be topping the list on a weekly basis.

He is certainly far from the league's best, but he still does deserve some credit for his performance so far.

Of course he does. My question is can he keep it up for 16 games. If he does, he probably prices himself out of here. The other factor is that the opposite side of the field is being patrolled by far less players like Buster Skrine. It’s a no brainer who to throw at. 

In the beginning of the year I felt that he is the key to the defense. They play pretty aggressively with the safeties so he is one-on-one a lot.

So far he has played great, as many have said in this thread hopefully he stays healthy. Because that's his biggest concern at this point.

Would be a great move if they can get a comp pick for one year of Claiborne, but this is the offseason with $80m in cap space right? Doubt they'll lose more qualifying guys than they sign.

Given the situation this coming offseason it would probably be a good call to sign some of these guys to extensions if they can. I probably feel the best about Ealy. Wonder what any of these guys is hoping for at this point but probably a good risk reward call.

Archived