Good news for the tank crowd

AFJF

The Jets did not win their 8th game in week 4 yesterday, they won their second.

In all likelihood they'll only win 2-3 more games the rest of the way and they'll be in the top five or able to easily move up a few slots in to the top 5.

Some of the teams likely to finish ahead of the Jets won't be shopping for a QB

SF- Gonna' sign Cousins

Chi- Just took Trubisky at 2

Colts- Luck

Cleveland will be in the mix, and if there's one thing history has shown us, it's that the Browns always take the right guy in the first round.

In summary, the Jets will probably be 3-2 after next week but then life is good for you guys once again as not many wins remain on the schedule.

Enjoy the wins, there won't be many....then enjoy the draft when they get a QB.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

In all likelihood they'll only win 2-3 more games the rest of the way and they'll be in the top five or able to easily move up a few slots in to the top 5.

SF- Gonna' sign Cousins

Colts- Luck

Cleveland will be in the mix, and if there's one thing history has shown us, it's that the Browns always take the right guy in the first round.

In summary, the Jets will probably be 3-2 after next week but then life is good for you guys once again as not many wins remain on the schedule.

My God, Glenn. Thank you for this. I was feeling horrible.

Just now, Gastineau Lives said:

My God, Glenn. Thank you for this. I was feeling horrible.

Just trying to do what I can.  We've got enough bickering, but in all reality, things are going well for both crowds.

We get to watch a few wins en route to a franchise QB.

2-2 doesn't necessarily mean 8-8.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

**** that! 2-2 should be 3-2?  I wan the playoffs!!!

They already proved this draft QB is not a priority so let's win it all!

Super Bowl!!!!

That would be cool too.

15 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

All this means is that all three will be looking to trade down, and demanding multiple future firsts from anyone who wants to move up. Go Jets!

#RealFans 3 years from now:

"Wtffff, why do we have no draft picks to help our new QB???!!11!"

8 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

All this means is that all three will be looking to trade down, and demanding multiple future firsts from anyone who wants to move up. Go Jets!

And the Jets stay put to take the BAP which is obviouslsy a defensive player and throw a late round flier at Kyle Shurmur because coaches son. 

24 minutes ago, JiF said:

**** that! 2-2 should be 3-2?  I wan the playoffs!!!

They already proved this draft QB is not a priority so let's win it all!

Super Bowl!!!!

Screw that...then we'll be drafting #32 and we'll never be able to trade up for a good QB.

If the 49ers could get a CA QB on a cheap 5 year contract, they will do that and not pay Cousins that money.  If they pick top 2, they get one.

I like Cousins on the Jets with a 2 year guarantee, and we can continue to sift through the rubble for 2nd round and below successors.   Would rather not do Cousins and 1st round QB, but could happen.  Cousins on a big money 1 year deal could work if that is the case.    But the Jets could do that and end up with a RB, edge rusher, etc.  Khalil Mack was picked 5th.  

I think the Jets saw first hand in Bortles the downside to reaching for a QB at the top of the first round.   Given their other needs, if there is not a sure thing QB available when the Jets pick I don't see them reaching for a QB.  Signing a Cousins or Garapollo makes that easier to avoid and still produce a competitive team in 2018, especially if Enunwa comes back.

In a year that the Jets SHOULD be tanking, they are about to be 3-2 after beating the hapless Browns next week.  There is no way that any Jets fan can be happy about this.  Yes, their schedule gets much tougher as the season moves along, and there aren't too many more wins on the schedule after next week, but watching the team win meaningless games against garbage teams which further diminishes their chances of getting a top 2 pick in 2018 gives me no joy whatsoever.  Beat the Pats.  Beat the Chiefs. Beat the Broncos.  That will impress me.    

10 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Let's see....

Browns, Dolphins, Saints Chargers, Bucs, maybe Panthers?

All potentially winnable games. That would leave us conservatively at around 6-10 and around a 7th or 8th pick in round 1. We can always use another CB, right? :(

Disagree on Bucs and Panthers barring serious injuries somewhere.

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

If the 49ers could get a CA QB on a cheap 5 year contract, they will do that and not pay Cousins that money.  If they pick top 2, they get one.

I like Cousins on the Jets with a 2 year guarantee, and we can continue to sift through the rubble for 2nd round and below successors.   Would rather not do Cousins and 1st round QB, but could happen.  Cousins on a big money 1 year deal could work if that is the case.    But the Jets could do that and end up with a RB, edge rusher, etc.  Khalil Mack was picked 5th.  

I think the Jets saw first hand in Bortles the downside to reaching for a QB at the top of the first round.   Given their other needs, if there is not a sure thing QB available when the Jets pick I don't see them reaching for a QB.  Signing a Cousins or Garapollo makes that easier to avoid and still produce a competitive team in 2018, especially if Enunwa comes back.

Cousins is really good QB. You aren't getting him on a two year guarantee as stop gap. If you sign cousins you're saying he's our guy for next 5-7 years.He's getting a huge contract. 

2 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Ok, cool. What's the good news?

Good news for both sides at the moment. 

Fans rooting for the Jets got to see a couple wins.

Fans rooting against the Jets get to start cheering all of the losses that are on the horizon after Cleveland.

Everybody wins.

Just now, AFJF said:

Good news for both sides at the moment. 

Fans rooting for the Jets got to see a couple wins.

Fans rooting against the Jets get to start cheering all of the losses that are on the horizon after Cleveland.

Everybody wins.

All wins are bad in a tank season.  We're not catching up with the 0-4 Giants anytime soon.  

There's no such thing as a win-win.  Either you're in the "let's win 6 games and have some fun!" camp or you're in the "# 1 pick or bust" camp.

In no universe does getting the 6th pick mean good news for this franchise.  

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Just because you're happy about a win doesn't mean you need to try to ruin it for the rest of us.  

I'm pointing out the fact that the wins will be few and far between, and in two weeks you get celebrate Tom Brady and Gronk kicking off what will likely be the beginning of the end for the 2017 Jets season.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I'm pointing out the fact that the wins will be few and far between, and in two weeks you get celebrate Tom Brady and Gronk kicking off what will likely be the beginning of the end for the 2017 Jets season.

This franchise has done a spectacular job, historically, of winning games in Weeks 15-17 to ruin our draft pick slot.

I'll believe what you're saying when I see it.  As it stands, we're in no-mans land.  We're not a contender, yet we've already won too many games to realistically get a Top 2 pick.  Because we all know we're not going 0-12 the rest of the way.  

This is the worst possible start to the season.  This is not good news.  You won't get anyone to agree we're getting the "best of both worlds".  

And to make matters worse, someone will quote this post and say "root for another team then".  Because evidently only "real fans" want the 6th pick every single year.  

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

This franchise has done a spectacular job, historically, of winning games in Weeks 15-17 to ruin our draft pick slot.

I'll believe what you're saying when I see it.  As it stands, we're in no-mans land.  We're not a contender, yet we've already won too many games to get a Top 2 pick.

This is the worst possible start to the season.  This is not good news.  You won't get anyone to agree we're getting the "best of both worlds".  

And to make matters worse, someone will quote this post and say "root for another team then".  Because evidently only "real fans" want the 6th pick every single year.  

If they finish outside the top five, Mac better be doing whatever necessary to move up.

Just now, AFJF said:

If they finish outside the top five, Mac better be doing whatever necessary to move up.

Yes, because he's shown a real propensity to swing a great deal.

And "whatever is necessary" means 2 first rounders and a couple 2nds or 3rds.

I'd rather just finish top 2.  That's much easier, and gives us future picks to use to build around our young QB.  

54 minutes ago, AFJF said:

SF- Gonna' sign Cousins

Colts- Luck

"I'm right because [insert hypothetical argument]!"

52 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Just trying to do what I can.  We've got enough bickering, but in all reality, things are going well for both crowds.

We get to watch a few wins en route to a franchise QB.

2-2 doesn't necessarily mean 8-8.

We just need to stack more losses...we need to have all OPTIONS on deck.  The more we lose, the more options we have.

22 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

It's funny watching people freak out over the Jets being 2-2 because they aren't losing enough and may or may not be able to get a 21 year old kid out of college who may or may not declare and who may or may not be good...

Not as funny as watching people bust their nut to wins against the Dolphins, Jags, & soon to be Browns, with a 38 year old never-was and somehow thinking that those wins mean we're gonna be a 10+ win playoff team.

#RealFanSh*t

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, because he's shown a real propensity to swing a great deal.

And "whatever is necessary" means 2 first rounders and a couple 2nds or 3rds.

I'd rather just finish top 2.  That's much easier, and gives us future picks to use to build around our young QB.  

Very true...the Sheldon deal was masterful and the McDougle deal is looking better every week.

If that's what it takes, I don't care.

7 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yeah all Maccs gotta do is just tell the other teams that need QBs and have picks 1 & 2 is this: "Hey guyz, we called dibsies back in March of last year so you gotta trade with us". 

Just now, AFJF said:

Very true...the Sheldon deal was masterful and the McDougle deal is looking better every week.

If that's what it takes, I don't care.

Well we care.  Hence the "tank crowd".  Why make a deal and give away tons of draft capital when we don't have to?

Just now, Mogglez said:

Yeah all Maccs gotta do is just tell the other teams that need QBs and have picks 1 & 2 is this: "Hey guyz, we called dibsies back in March of last year so you gotta trade with us". 

Bears will likely be one of those teams, they just took Trubisky at 2.

55 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

We are good, we have enough safeties, we can trade up multiple firsts if needed.

Archived