Good news for the tank crowd

AFJF

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I just dont think Cleveland is going to take a QB early when they just drafted one.

Deshone Kizer wasn't a 1st round pick, has thrown 3 TDs to 8 INTs, is completing only 51.4% of his passes,  has a QB rating of 50.9, all before the season is even 8 games deep, and you think the Browns are gonna pass on Josh Rosen or another one of the top guys for him?

Keep dreaming.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Mogglez said:

Deshone Kizer wasn't a 1st round pick, has thrown 3 TDs to 8 INTs, completed 51.4% of his passes before the season is even 8 games deep, and has a QB rating of 50.9 and you think the Browns are gonna pass on Josh Rosen or another one of the top guys for him?

Keep dreaming.

Then why did they draft Kizer then, if they were going to draft one this year? That makes no sense. Thats literally throwing a draft pick away. At the very least Macc thought Hackenberg could be molded (so far he's wrong). Why did Cleveland draft him?

6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Then why did they draft Kizer then, if they were going to draft one this year? That makes no sense. Thats literally throwing a draft pick away. At the very least Macc thought Hackenberg could be molded (so far he's wrong). Why did Cleveland draft him?

Why did the Panthers select Jimmy Clausen with a second round pick a year before drafting Cam Newton 1st overall?

It was a low risk, high reward.  They have a gazillion high draft picks and, on top of that, a 2nd round QB doesn't have the same investment it used to have.  You draft a guy like Kizer, hoping he can have a Russell Wilson/ Derek Carr/Dak Prescott type rookie year and you get lucky.  If they don't pan out, then you figure you're gonna be right where you left off with a high first anyway and you can use that to find a, hopefully, more surefire prospect.

2 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Yeah, maybe. That's why I gave us only four more wins. But five puts us at 7-9 and around a 12th pick. If the Jets win 5 games, they are out of the sweepstakes unless they give up the farm.

If so, then give up the farm.

Just now, Mogglez said:

Why did the Panthers select Jimmy Clausen with a second round pick before drafting Cam Newton 1st overall?

It was a low risk, high reward.  They have a gazillion high draft picks and a 2nd rounder doesn't have the same investment it used to have.  You draft a guy like Kizer, hoping he can have a Russell Wilson/ Derek Carr/Dak Prescott type rookie year and you get lucky.  If they don't pan out, then you figure you're gonna be right where you left off with a high first anyway and you can use that to find a, hopefully, more surefire prospect.

Even so, it seems like a waste 

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This franchise has done a spectacular job, historically, of winning games in Weeks 15-17 to ruin our draft pick slot.

I'll believe what you're saying when I see it.  As it stands, we're in no-mans land.  We're not a contender, yet we've already won too many games to realistically get a Top 2 pick.  Because we all know we're not going 0-12 the rest of the way.  

This is the worst possible start to the season.  This is not good news.  You won't get anyone to agree we're getting the "best of both worlds".  

And to make matters worse, someone will quote this post and say "root for another team then".  Because evidently only "real fans" want the 6th pick every single year.  

I've always been a a believer that you don't lose games for draft position.  Even the meaningless games.  And I do believe young players need to learn how to win.  I think it takes experience to know how to close games.

That said, the problem with this particular logic is that Mac has shown zero value in the QB position.  His efforts have been a 4th round flier in Petty, a mornic "plan" pick for Hack and Fitz/McCown.  Other than an apparent attempt to move up 2 years ago, he hasn't really shown securing a QB is a priority. 

Just now, JiF said:

I've always been a a believer that you don't lose games for draft position.  Even the meaningless games.  And I do believe young players need to learn how to win.  I think it takes experience to know how to close games.

That said, the problem with this particular logic is that Mac has shown zero value in the QB position.  His efforts have been a 4th round flier in Petty, a mornic "plan" pick for Hack and Fitz/McCown.  Other than an apparent attempt to move up 2 years ago, he hasn't really shown securing a QB is a priority. 

Very true, but it appears that he is scouting QBs this year. He apparently was at the USC game on Friday

19 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Again I ask, Who are we tanking for? Josh Rosen, who is not ranked in the top QBs this year? Sam Darnold who looks like complete sh*t? 

You obviously didn't watch Rosen against Stanford or any of Darnold's brilliant wins.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000852810/article/year-of-qb-reexamining-hype-for-sam-darnold-josh-rosen

Overall, the QB position is still loaded with talented prospects, but it's beginning to look a lot like the class of QBs from 2017, a year in which NFL teams took chances on developmental players with the hopes of finding a gem at the position. -- Bucky Brooks

14 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Even so, it seems like a waste 

If you don't have a franchise QB it isn't.

Kizer can still develop without being the face of the franchise.  If he shows something while Rosen (or whoever) is leading the charge, then the Brown can trade him and double or get equal return on their initial investment.  Absolute worst case scenario (other than both guys busting), is Kizer sticks around, develops, and they have insurance in case Mr. 1st overall fails, ala RG3-Cousins.  There is absolutely 0 downside to this since they don't have someone right now.

15 minutes ago, JiF said:

"Other than attempting to trade up for Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Carson Wentz, and Jarad Goff, but failing to do so because the other teams that selected them needed those guys too, Macc has shown zero desire to get a top tier QB prospects because he passed on mediocre prospects in the 1st like Paxton Lynch in 2016 and an entirely weak class in 2017".

I don't even love the guy but this is an absolutely ridiculous thought process.

35 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I'd put my money on the 49ers and Cleveland being ahead of them.  Probably the Colts too.  

Good.  Niners are favorite to land Cousins and Colts will be looking to add picks to build around Luck.  

41 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Not as funny as watching people bust their nut to wins against the Dolphins, Jags, & soon to be Browns, with a 38 year old never-was and somehow thinking that those wins mean we're gonna be a 10+ win playoff team.

#RealFanSh*t

How about just general happiness that your team won a game. Real fans are happy when their team wins games in the first quarter of a season.

18 minutes ago, JiF said:

GMs miss.  Before Flacco and Brady, Ozzy Newsome and BB had done nothing to make you believe they should be allowed to draft another QB.

I said this in another place, yesterday the Jets won DESPITE the 38 year old QB. Which means most of the credit goes to the young players. That's a good thing.

If Josh McCown had led them to that victory, then I can understand some uneasiness. But he tried to hand the Jags the game. And the Jets still won

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Good.  Niners are favorite to land Cousins and Colts will be looking to add picks to build around Luck.  

Since we're using hypotheticals, what if the Niners decide that drafting a cheap rookie prospect and using their 2 bazillion dollars on multiple FAs that can help build the team is better than giving a 30 year old Kirk Cousins a 200 million dollar contract?  Then what?  What if the Colts win multiple games when Luck comes back and they don't pick 1 or 2.  Then all of a sudden it's left to the Browns and Niners.  Using my scenario, that means both of the top guys are gone.

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Since we're using hypotheticals, what if the Niners decide that drafting a cheap rookie prospect and using their 2 bazillion dollars on multiple FAs that can help build the team is better than giving a 30 year old Kirk Cousins a 200 million dollar contract?  Then what?  What if the Colts win multiple games when Luck comes back and they don't pick 1 or 2.  Then all of a sudden it's left to the Browns and Niners.  Using my scenario, that means both of the top guys are gone.

You still take the best QB on the board and/or sign Cousins.

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

I could see Cleveland signing Cousins and then using their other picks to set him up. Niners I think are further down the line than Cleveland

10 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

"Other than attempting to trade up for Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Carson Wentz, and Jarad Goff, but failing to do so because the other teams that selected them needed those guys too, Macc has shown zero desire to get a top tier QB prospects because he passed on mediocre prospects in the 1st like Paxton Lynch in 2016 and an entirely weak class in 2017".

I attempted to create an operating system but failed to do so because Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Ken Thompson beat me too it.

Cross my heart! 

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

You still take the best QB on the board.

Well yeah, no duh.  No one who wanted Rosen and Darnold are currently suggesting otherwise.  They just realize that those 2 are significantly more safe and special prospects than any of the other guys and would have rather gotten one of them over the much larger gambles.  I love Luke Falk but he is a significantly riskier prospect than Rosen or Darnold.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

The Jets did not win their 8th game in week 4 yesterday, they won their second.

In all likelihood they'll only win 2-3 more games the rest of the way and they'll be in the top five or able to easily move up a few slots in to the top 5.

Some of the teams likely to finish ahead of the Jets won't be shopping for a QB

SF- Gonna' sign Cousins

Chi- Just took Trubisky at 2

Colts- Luck

Cleveland will be in the mix, and if there's one thing history has shown us, it's that the Browns always take the right guy in the first round.

In summary, the Jets will probably be 3-2 after next week but then life is good for you guys once again as not many wins remain on the schedule.

Enjoy the wins, there won't be many....then enjoy the draft when they get a QB.

Dude   we're  gonna be 10-6 or 11-5.  Stop being such a hater. :) 

Just now, JiF said:

I attempted to create an operating system but failed to do so because Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Ken Thompson beat me too it.

Cross my heart! 

Shoulda told all those other guys that you had dibsies.  That woulda convinced em, right killer?

Just now, Mogglez said:

Well yeah, no duh.  No one who wanted Rosen and Darnold are currently suggesting otherwise.  They just realize that those 2 are significantly more safe and special prospects than any of the other guys and would have rather gotten one of them over the much larger gambles.  I love Luke Falk but he is a significantly riskier prospect than Rosen or Darnold.

Great QBs are taken outside of 1 and 2.

Sign Cousins and draft one.

2 minutes ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

Indy tanked for Luck.  Never had an OL for him and he's had a ruptured spleen and bum shoulder.  

If you go 1-15, you generally have way more problems than just a bad QB. 

Archived