Good news for the tank crowd

AFJF

9 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Coaching Staff and FO was not told to tank for the future.  They were given limited resources, including McCown, and told to compete.  They are doing that.  McCown is playing pretty well and above expectations.  As much as Petty showed potential during the offseason, I don't think he outperforms McCown now.  

Based on the Jets' schedule, the time will come for Petty to start, if for no other reason that it costs $125K per game to start McCown.

He's not playing well and those expectations, given his W/L record, were pretty low.

The time will come for Petty and by then (if we haven't already) we'll already have f*cked ourselves out of a chance to reasonably replace him and Hackenberg with a stud.

Hope you #realfanz enjoy Alex Smith or Eli Manning because here they f*cking come.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are several reasons for this team to be starting McCown:

1. Bowles actually thinks he is their best chance to win; and while I don't believe in intentionally tanking and not trying to make the team better, every win that comes from this model is IMO a waste at the chance to get a franchise QB.

2. Bowles feels that McCown has a better mastery of the the offense at this point and he wants to make sure the other 10 players on offense can grow - and that putting in Petty and/or Hack would compromise the growth of the other young players; having Kerley and Kearse out there to take the pressure off the rookies does the same thing.

3. Bowles feels that Petty/Hack aren't ready yet and they would prefer to give them more time as to not put them over their heads; Or, the OL isn't able to protect them and he doesn't want them to get gun shy; Or, they are waiting for Morton and the O time to gel as they don't want to put too much pressure on the QBs and the OC

4. They already know that Petty/Hack are NOT the answer and there is no point in letting them play - I would still play one of them and take the losses, however.

I am okay with 2 or 3 as long as they each get a chance soon enough. The problem is that with the Jets schedule, you could make an argument that you should let the young QBs play while we are playing the likes of the Browns - and the way McCown played this past week, it wouldn't be out of line to bench him :-)

If it is 4, I am a little unhappy, because if they know this now: 1. there isn't a chance for one of them to start and we can leverage the top pick for other players and 2. They should have known this sooner and gotten us a shot at a real QB

If it is 1, I think I would just want to fire Bowles right now; it is too hard to gets QBs reps in practice and nothing beats game time experience. Even if the Jets play as well as they have in the last 2 days - it is foolish to assume that they have any real chance at the playoffs - and waiting until the playoffs are lost is just not enough time to find out if either is the guy (although it is enough to find out for sure if they are def. not the guys)...

18 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

1. Bowles actually thinks he is their best chance to win; and while I don't believe in intentionally tanking and not trying to make the team better, every win that comes from this model is IMO a waste at the chance to get a franchise QB.

2. Bowles feels that McCown has a better mastery of the the offense at this point and he wants to make sure the other 10 players on offense can grow - and that putting in Petty and/or Hack would compromise the growth of the other young players; having Kerley and Kearse out there to take the pressure off the rookies does the same thing.

3. Bowles feels that Petty/Hack aren't ready yet and they would prefer to give them more time as to not put them over their heads; Or, the OL isn't able to protect them and he doesn't want them to get gun shy; Or, they are waiting for Morton and the O time to gel as they don't want to put too much pressure on the QBs and the OC

4. They already know that Petty/Hack are NOT the answer and there is no point in letting them play - I would still play one of them and take the losses, however.

I am okay with 2 or 3 as long as they each get a chance soon enough. The problem is that with the Jets schedule, you could make an argument that you should let the young QBs play while we are playing the likes of the Browns - and the way McCown played this past week, it wouldn't be out of line to bench him :-)

If it is 4, I am a little unhappy, because if they know this now: 1. there isn't a chance for one of them to start and we can leverage the top pick for other players and 2. They should have known this sooner and gotten us a shot at a real QB

If it is 3, I think I would just want to fire Bowles right now; it is too hard to gets QBs reps in practice and nothing beats game time experience. Even if the Jets play as well as they have in the last 2 days - it is foolish to assume that they have any real chance at the playoffs - and waiting until the playoffs are lost is just not enough time to find out if either is the guy (although it is enough to find out for sure if they are def. not the guys)...

Holy spin machine Batman.

32 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

If it is 1, I think I would just want to fire Bowles right now; it is too hard to gets QBs reps in practice and nothing beats game time experience. Even if the Jets play as well as they have in the last 2 days - it is foolish to assume that they have any real chance at the playoffs - and waiting until the playoffs are lost is just not enough time to find out if either is the guy (although it is enough to find out for sure if they are def. not the guys)...

The problem is, it is very likely #1

IMO at least, a lot of people that are being referred to as "the tank crowd" would feel a hell of a lot better about this team if Petty or Hack were residing over a 2-2 at this point.  I know I would

No matter what happens, there is really no gain unless one of the young QB's are doing it.

3 minutes ago, flgreen said:

IMO at least, a lot of people that are being referred to as "the tank crowd" would feel a hell of a lot better about this team if Petty or Hack were residing over a 2-2 at this point.  I know I would

No matter what happens, there is really no gain unless one of the young QB's are doing it.

+100

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

That's the point.  A good HC under these circumstances would have played him.  Bowels not being a good HC, and on the hot seat, was hoping that a vet QB who knows the O, could squeeze out a 6-10 season, and maybe save his job.

Same mistake he made when he announced Fitz the starter, while Fitz was a FA and throwing the contract negotiating into chaos.  Some people don't learn

This either doesnt make sense or I'm not understanding. A good head coach doesnt play the best players? Again, why would Bowles play McCown if Petty is the better QB. It makes no logical sense to play the worst player. If Petty is better than he has a chance to get more than 6 wins. I'm simply stating Bowles and this coaching staff are playing the best players to win. There would no reason not to. If Petty was better, he would start. 

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Bowles lost the locker room because they had a bunch of immature dickheads that clashed with one another.  By all accounts, this group is not like that.  For all of Bowles faults (and there are a ton), his players like him and respect the hell out of him.  Even the problem children loved him, they just weren't smart enough to smart enough to realize that pulling the sh*t they pulled with one another was a slap in his face.  On top that, do you hear any of the Browns players b*tching about Hue starting Kizer right now?

Do you really think that some of our starters don't realize that they have their current starting jobs because they're cheaper, younger, and have more upside than guys who, while currently better than them, are older and more expensive?  

I actually dont believe that. I think this coaching staff is starting the best 11. What you're referring to probably happened in the off season. As of right now, regardless of age, the best player is playing. No reason for any coaching staff to play the worst player. 

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Our stupid f*cking beat reporters actually tallied the practice numbers.  Both Petty and even Hackenberg had stats similar or better than McCown.  One of those two had a great preseason.  That guy is, for some reason, on the f*cking bench.  McCown didn't earn the nod.  He was just bumblef*cks safest bet, god forbid he take an aggressive chance for once.

Again, logically speaking. a head coach on the hot seat, a first time O coordinator with everything to prove, a QB coach who is knows to develop QBs, and all the other coaches, why would they start the QB who is worst when they have so much to prove? I don't know how they came to their decision but probaby tape, practice, and pre-season games. I can logically assume they are playing McCown because he is the best QB on the roster right now.

37 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

I actually dont believe that. I think this coaching staff is starting the best 11. What you're referring to probably happened in the off season. As of right now, regardless of age, the best player is playing. No reason for any coaching staff to play the worst player. 

Eric Decker would immediately be the "best" WR on our roster. As would Brandon Marshall.  Flaws and age included.  Don't sit here and tell me otherwise.  The reason we cut them is to give guys like Jalin Marshall, Robbie Anderson, ArDarius Stewart, etc. chances to grow and shine because, at this point, their futures are here.  The others is in a retirement home.

You're logically wrong.

40 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Again, logically speaking. a head coach on the hot seat, a first time O coordinator with everything to prove, a QB coach who is knows to develop QBs, and all the other coaches, why would they start the QB who is worst when they have so much to prove? I don't know how they came to their decision but probaby tape, practice, and pre-season games. I can logically assume they are playing McCown because he is the best QB on the roster right now.

Tape, practice, and pre-season said that Petty and McCown's gap is almost non-existent.  So why is the guy who is young, cheap, and capable of having a real future here sitting?

How about this?  Bowles should have never been given McCown to begin with or he should have been fired last year to avoid this nonsense.  What would succeeding with a 38 year old never-was accomplish for the f*cking OC and QB coach?  Do you honestly think McCown is developing or some nonsense?  How about checking out the fruits of your labor and seeing if your coaching accomplished anything?  I'd like to think that would actually do something for the OC/QB coach.

Once again, you're logically wrong.  Stay happy with McCown though.  I'm sure you'll be thrilled when we sign Eli or Alex Smith next year.

25 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Eric Decker would immediately be the "best" WR on our roster. As would Brandon Marshall.  Flaws and age included.  Don't sit here and tell me otherwise.  The reason we cut them is to give guys like Jalin Marshall, Robbie Anderson, ArDarius Stewart, etc. chances to grow and shine because, at this point, their futures are here.  The others is in a retirement home.

You're logically wrong.

you just said what I said. That all happened in the off season just like I said. The best 11 on the current roster are starting.  McCown is on the team. Your beef should be with Mac for signing him.

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

ll with the punches . Tape, practice, and pre-season said that Petty and McCown's gap is almost non-existent.  So why is the guy who is young, cheap, and capable of having a real future here sitting?

How about this?  Bowles should have never been given McCown to begin with or he should have been fired last year to avoid this nonsense.  What would succeeding with a 38 year old never-was accomplish for the f*cking OC and QB coach?  Do you honestly think McCown is developing or some nonsense?  How about checking out the fruits of your labor and seeing if your coaching accomplished anything?  I'd like to think that would actually do something for the OC/QB coach.

Once again, you're logically wrong.  Stay happy with McCown though.  I'm sure you'll be thrilled when we sign Eli or Alex Smith next year.

NFL films once had a sequence called "Opportunity" knocks that they used as often as they could because it fits what they were ding. Bryce Petty has had 2 opportunities at becoming the starting QB of the NY Jets and both times he lost out because he got injured.  With the way the training camp and preseason went, it was a better than average chance that Petty would have won the starting nod since it looked like the team was doing everything it could to give 1 of the kids the job. The kid was hurt, and couldn't even be the backup for the 1st game.  

Exactly how do you take the starting job away from McCown and give it to Petty without losing your team when McCown is proving to be the leader he was signed to be . In a perfect world, Petty or Hack would be the starter and either step up or loose enough to ensure a certain segment of Jet fans what they want. Guess what folks, this world isn't perfect anymore and you have to roll with the punches . Before this season is over, Bryce Petty will get another chance, and like the old saying goes, "3 strikes and you're out ". 

All the kid has to do is stay healthy, and thus far, that has proven to be an issue.

18 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Tape, practice, and pre-season said that Petty and McCown's gap is almost non-existent.  So why is the guy who is young, cheap, and capable of having a real future here sitting?

How am I wrong? So you're mad Mac signed McCown and he beat out Petty and Hack. Don't see how that makes me wrong. We are signing Eli and Alex Smith? 

Why is Petty sitting? Because he's not better at playing QB than McCown. 

It's your opinion that the gap is non-existent. I'm just basing it on logic that the best player is starting because why would the coach not start the best player. That's all. 

How does starting the best QB help the first time OC? How does it help the QB coach? Is this really a question?

4 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

NFL films once had a sequence called "Opportunity" knocks that they used as often as they could because it fits what they were ding. Bryce Petty has had 2 opportunities at becoming the starting QB of the NY Jets and both times he lost out because he got injured.  With the way the training camp and preseason went, it was a better than average chance that Petty would have won the starting nod since it looked like the team was doing everything it could to give 1 of the kids the job. The kid was hurt, and couldn't even be the backup for the 1st game.  

Exactly how do you take the starting job away from McCown and give it to Petty without losing your team when McCown is proving to be the leader he was signed to be . In a perfect world, Petty or Hack would be the starter and either step up or loose enough to ensure a certain segment of Jet fans what they want. Guess what folks, this world isn't perfect anymore and you have to roll with the punches . Before this season is over, Bryce Petty will get another chance, and like the old saying goes, "3 strikes and you're out ". 

All the kid has to do is stay healthy, and thus far, that has proven to be an issue.

Petty, for as much as I knock him, was pretty much a full go the week of installs.  He was healthy to go week 1.  The second Bowles got McCown, it was his job. This is who Bowles is.  This is who Bowles will always be.

5 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Whatever the reason right. All I'm saying is if Petty was the better QB he would start. Makes zero sense for the coaching staff not to start Petty if he was the best QB

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Petty, for as much as I knock him, was pretty much a full go the week of installs.  He was healthy to go week 1.  The second Bowles got McCown, it was his job. This is who Bowles is.  This is who Bowles will always be.

Re-watching game now; McCown didn't do much. In fact, the Jets won in spite of him; he held the ball too long, made some bad decisions, scored NO points in the fourth; he got the ball on 7 and did nothing. If you take away the 3 big runs (plus some other good runs) we have no TDs (okay - I know you can't say that, but...).

A decent QB spotted big play TDs and a good running game that cannot score other points isn't decent; I know the Jax defense is good, but not that good.

I guess I am saying, at this point, I don't know how you can loose going with Petty/Hack against the Browns.

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

And yet Geno Smith was all set to be the starting QB over Fitzpatrick before IK broke his jaw .  Sometimes an apple is just an apple. Circumstances dictated who became the starting QB in Todd Bowles's 1st season and I happen to think the same thing happen again this season.  

21 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

How am I wrong? So you're mad Mac signed McCown and he beat out Petty and Hack. Don't see how that makes me wrong. We are signing Eli and Alex Smith? 

Why is Petty sitting? Because he's not better at playing QB than McCown. 

It's your opinion that the gap is non-existent. I'm just basing it on logic that the best player is starting because why would the coach not start the best player. That's all. 

How does starting the best QB help the first time OC? How does it help the QB coach? Is this really a question?

And it's your opinion that it exists.  The difference between my opinion and yours is there's tangible numbers to support the claim that they aren't far apart. Especially when you factor age and what the long term vision is.

Yeah, I'm pissed we signed a vet QB, for a coach that prefers veterans to young guys, in a rebuilding year with two young question marks on the roster.  Anyone with half a brain is pissed about it too.

Again, it was your argument that the OC and QB coach, who are supposedly good at DEVELOPING with, are starting the 38 year old because "they have something to prove".  My guess is they'd prefer to see the kids that, you know, they've been developing, since that area of expertise is why they were brought in, but that's just me.

You lost this argument the second you started defending the fact that we're playing Josh f*cking McCown in a rebuilding year.  I can't believe it took two f*cking wins against garbage teams for half of our entire fanbase into forgetting the last few decades of mediocrity we've dealt with for doing this stupid sh*t in the past and how it's the catalyst for us being here in the first place.  We're not going to the playoffs.  We're not going to the Super Bowl.  We're not finishing with a winning record.  Josh McCown isn't playing into his 40's and he isn't the f*cking future.  Get off your endorphin driven high from the "good times at JetLiiiiiiiife" and realize that some people don't wanna see f*cking wins at the expense of potentially great QB play. You aren't changing my mind. I'm not gonna love McCown. I'm not gonna be happy with Bowles.  I'm not gonna be happy we're playing the guy who "gives us the best chance to win" right now.  I'm not gonna think it's a good idea.  I don't care about the happiness of the fans who go to the games.  I don't care about the fans on general, let alone that.

1 hour ago, RESNewYork said:

This either doesnt make sense or I'm not understanding. A good head coach doesnt play the best players? Again, why would Bowles play McCown if Petty is the better QB. It makes no logical sense to play the worst player. If Petty is better than he has a chance to get more than 6 wins. I'm simply stating Bowles and this coaching staff are playing the best players to win. There would no reason not to. If Petty was better, he would start. 

Dude really?

Just now, Mogglez said:

And it's your opinion that it exists.  Difference between my opinion and yours is there's tangible numbers to support the claim that they aren't far apart.

Yeah, I'm pissed we signed a vet QB, for a coach that prefers veterans to young guys, in a rebuilding year with two young question marks on the roster.  Anyone with half a brain is pissed about it too.

Again, it was your argument that the OC and QB coach, who are supposedly good at DEVELOPING with, are starting the 38 year old because "they have something to prove".  My guess is they'd prefer to see the kids that, you know, they've been developing, since that area of expertise is why they were brought in, but that's just me.

You lost this argument the second you started defending the fact that we're playing Josh f*cking McCown in a rebuilding year.  I can't believe it took two f*cking wins against garbage teams for half of our entire fanbase into forgetting the last few decades of mediocrity we've dealt with for doing this stupid sh*t in the past and how it's the catalyst for us being here in the first place.  We're not going to the playoffs.  We're not going to the Super Bowl.  We're not finishing with a winning record.  Josh McCown isn't playing into his 40's and he isn't the f*cking future.  Get off your endorphin driven high from the "good times at JetLiiiiiiiife" and realize that some people don't wanna see f*cking wins at the expense of potentially great QB play. You aren't changing my mind. I'm not gonna love McCown. I'm not gonna be happy with Bowles.  I'm not gonna be happy we're playing the guy who "gives us the best chance to win".  E. NOUGH.

Not arguing with you about all this other stuff you're bringing up. I am simply saying 1 thing. The coaching staff is playing the best player. That's it. I don't know how much better one is over the other. 

It's early. Plenty of time for you to get your wish. 

Dont get why you're all pissy. I think it's a little weird. Why does it bother you other fans root for the Jets to win. You do your thing. 

11 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

And yet Geno Smith was all set to be the starting QB over Fitzpatrick before IK broke his jaw .  Sometimes an apple is just an apple. Circumstances dictated who became the starting QB in Todd Bowles's 1st season and I happen to think the same thing happen again this season.  

One was on short term IR, the other was a full go in practice the first week of the season.  It's not remotely close to being the same type of situation.

5 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Dude really?

You too?

This isn't advanced calculus. 

McCown is better and at leading a team and decision making than Petty therefore he starts.  Mystery solved.  You're welcome.

Petty is not and never will be the long term starter here.  He was given every chance along with Hack to win the job and failed.  Period.  Get over it.

If and when the Jets are eliminated from playoff contention we'll all get a chance to see what Brett Ratliff errrr Bryce Petty brings to the table.  My guess is it will look a lot like it did last year which was a whole lot of nothing.

26 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Not arguing with you about all this other stuff you're bringing up. I am simply saying 1 thing. The coaching staff is playing the best player. That's it. I don't know how much better one is over the other. 

It's early. Plenty of time for you to get your wish. 

Dont get why you're all pissy. I think it's a little weird. Why does it bother you other fans root for the Jets to win. You do your thing. 

"I have absolutely nothing to say, so I'm not address the pretty glaring flaws in my own argument that you just pointed out" 

Thanks for proving my point.

The coaching staff is playing a 38 year old player who's numbers indicate that, at best, is only .578696959% better than his back up.  His back up is young.  His back up has a chance to be the future.  However, his back up isn't playing because the coach wants to 6-10 to possibly save his job and is worried that the growing pains that come with playing a young QB might f*ck that up and he'll only win 5 games instead of 6.

My wish is out the f*cking door.  When 3 years down the road we're still signing stop gap veterans because we have no answer at QB, maybe then you'll understand why I'm so pissed off.  Probably not though; you'll probably be too stoked on the 15 collective wins those vets get you in those 3 seasons.

I didn't ask people non-stop "I DONT GET Y U GUYZ CANT GET BEHIND PLAYING A 38 YEAR OLD QB TO BEAT THE JAGZ, DOLPHINZ, AND BROWNZ".  I didn't make the claim that only my way of thinking makes me a #RealFan.  That was the other group of pom pom wavers you've decided to join.  I don't care what people root for.  I haven't shoved my thought process reagrding wins down the throats of everyone on this board like it was gospel.   All the #realfanz did.  I have my own beliefs regarding that.  I don't care about who agrees or disagrees with it.  I don't go around calling others "sad" or asking them "why?".  For the 500th time today, I'd be fine with the wins if they came from Hack or Petty.  I am never going to be okay with them coming from Josh McCown.

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

It took 5 f*cking pages for someone to actually get it. My goodness.

29 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

"I have absolutely nothing to say, so I'm not address the pretty glaring flaws in my own argument that you just pointed out" 

Thanks for proving my point.

The coaching staff is playing a 38 year old player who's numbers indicate that, at best, is only .578696959% better than his back up.  His back up is young.  His back up has a chance to be the future.  However, his back up isn't playing because the coach wants to 6-10 to possibly save his job and is worried that the growing pains that come with playing a young QB might f*ck that up and he'll only win 5 games instead of 6.

My wish is out the f*cking door.  When 3 years down the road we're still signing stop gap veterans because we have no answer at QB, maybe then you'll understand why I'm so pissed off.  Probably not though; you'll probably be too stoked on the 15 collective wins those vets get you in those 3 seasons.

I didn't ask people non-stop "I DONT GET Y U GUYZ CANT GET BEHIND PLAYING A 38 YEAR OLD QB TO BEAT THE JAGZ, DOLPHINZ, AND BROWNZ".  I didn't make the claim that only my way of thinking makes me a #RealFan.  That was the other group of pom pom wavers you've decided to join.  I don't care what people root for.  Apparently all you #realfanz do.  For the 500th time today, I'd be fine with the wins if they came from Hack or Petty.  I am never going to be okay with them coming from Josh McCown.

OK so here it goes. Go back to my posts. The only point I had was this. Bowles, the coaching staff is playing the best player. And that the Petty or Hack shouldn't be given the starting job until they earned it. How do I know McCown is the best player? Because he's starting. And because coaches want to win so they will start the best players. That's how I logically came up with that. 

Go back and look at the posts, that's all I"m trying to say. Everything else, the fake fan talk, the rooting, you're beef with who's starting, never said anything about that.

What numbers indicate the gap is .5%? That's opinion. Maybe you're right, I have no idea how much better McCown is. Although it looks like you agree with me

22 minutes ago, Pac said:

McCown is better and at leading a team and decision making than Petty therefore he starts.  Mystery solved.  You're welcome.

Not sure you can say that after the Jax game. His decision making was horrible; holding the ball too long; backwards pass; almost int. Yes had some plays, but more bad than good in my mind.

3 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Not sure you can say that after the Jax game. His decision making was horrible; holding the ball too long; backwards pass; almost int. Yes had some plays, but more bad than good in my mind.

Bryce Petty completed 56% of his passes and had 3 TDs to 7 INT's last year.  His claim to fame is a decent game against 3rd stringers in a pre-season game.

The lunatic fringe on this site clicking their heels and repeating he should be the starter isn't going to transform him into Bart Starr. 

Not sure what else the Jets have to do to show what their opinion of him is.  Maybe he can be a long term backup.  Maybe.

Draft or sign next years starter in FA.  If it's a draft pick resign McCown as the tutor/backup role, keep the Hack, dump or trade Petty.  If it's a FA then depending on who it is you decide if you're better off keeping Josh as a backup or going with a combination of Petty or Hack and a draft pick. 

This is what's going to happen.  I'm rarely wrong.

Archived