Way to early draft thoughts

Guilhermezmc

I think the Jets can win 2 to 3 more games this year, that puts us out of reach of the 2 top QB's in the draft (barring trade) Rosen and Darnold. 

Our biggest need is QB, but what if we don't go QB in the 1st.

Let me tell you that that RB from Penn State Saquon Barkley is special and taking him in the 1st would be a great consolation prize for not getting neither Rosen or Darnold. That wouldn't resolve our biggest need that is QB but we might find a answer for that in the 2nd round in Baker Mayfield. 

We all know he is Russell Wilson type of short, that he has off the field issues, but let me say that this guy is a leader I just love the way he's passionate about the game (planting the flag on the OSU logo), besides that he has shown the ability to go through some of his progressions, the abilty to escape the pocket when the protection breaks down and can make every throw showing some beautiful touch of some of his passes. 

We would have great young leaders in this club with Jamal Adams and Baker Mayfield and a stud all-pro potential young RB in Barkley.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

Considering that we have three picks in the first two rounds, I think that a realistic and solid draft would be:

QB Luke Falk WSU 6-4, 223

RB Damien Harris Alabama 5-10, 216 

C Will Clapp LSU 6-3, 309

What? no safety or DL? :)

Obviously QB is likely to be a priority and I think if there isn't a top prospect available when the Jets pick in the first Barkley is going to be an appealing option if available.

The most interesting thing in this draft class to me is going to be what they do on the offensive line. There seem to be a number of quality tackle prospects this year. I don't want to prematurely close the door on the Kelvin Beachum era at LT, but I always like the idea of investing in the offensive line - especially if you're trying to develop a franchise QB - so that could be a route worth going.

Some of the top tackles have suffered injuries as well (Williams from Texas and Adams from Washington - Adams' was season ending) so if they enter the draft there may be an opportunity to get top talent at a discount which is interesting though obviously risky.

I also believe neither of this year's centers is on the signed through next season so you could pretty easily bring back one as a security blanket/to make it not blatantly obvious they want to draft one but draft a center reasonably early (great thing about adding that draft pick from Seattle) and hopefully lock that position down for a while.

Tons of options to go BPA early though. Aside from guard, safety, 5-tech DE, and ILB I think there's an argument to draft a guy at basically any position. Bring more high character talented guys in - hopefully more on the offensive end - and let's keep this thing rolling. Big fan of the new coaching staff, it actually seems like they might be able to develop some guys.

5 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Since Darnold and Rosen will be out of our reach, we should go LT in the first round. 

Depends on draft position, can't just say we should draft "X", but I understand what you are saying. We do need to build up the line, but based on Mac's drafts he will go BPA on his board. He doesn't seem to stray from that. 

I kind of hope he does and we can somehow land Rosen or Darnold but I am not expecting it unless we don't win another game.

23 minutes ago, Stark said:

Depends on draft position, can't just say we should draft "X", but I understand what you are saying. We do need to build up the line, but based on Mac's drafts he will go BPA on his board. He doesn't seem to stray from that. 

I kind of hope he does and we can somehow land Rosen or Darnold but I am not expecting it unless we don't win another game.

Yes I agree draft position matters. The one thing I'll say though is, until a team has their franchise QB and franchise LT, those two positions take precedants over BPA in the 1st round.

Those two positions can last over a decade if drafted wisely. Other positions have a much shorter shelf life. We'll see how it plays out though. Wouldn't mind an edge rusher (finally!) that can finally get our D over that hump.

Archived