Cam Newton to reporter: "It's funny to hear a female talk about routes."

Jetsfan80

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Reporters generally don't do this during press conferences.  She was attempting to be professional. 

With the rationale you're using, couldn't it also be said you're advocating for people not to be held accountable for things they say?

That's the problem with YOU people. I clearly stated my position, YET you twist it into a HYPOTHETICAL that YOUR IMAGINATION CONJURED UP to start a counter argument that is excessively, and unnecessarily, analytical of a condescending person being a d!ck. I'm not advocating $hit you feminist apologist, I am declaring that his argument was condescending, but not anyway offensive to the extent of getting all this attention. If it was a young MALE reporter, and Cam said the same thing, it would be the SAME conclusion: He's an A$$hole; BUT since it's a woman, pull out the sexism card! It's a joke. :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sounds like this thread struck a nerve with the chauvinists out there.  Lot's of outrage coming from people who are complaining about people being "easily offended". 

I'm not personally offended, since I'm not a female beat writer.  But this is most definitely a story. 

Oh the irony of neophyte.:rolleyes:

You have issues with Cam being dismissive w/a female reporter, yet you declare that those who disagree that "it's a story" or being offended by his comment is petulant, are now  "Chauvinists". Lol. what a tool. :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Gas2No99 said:

That's the problem with YOU people. I clearly stated my position, YET you twist it into a HYPOTHETICAL that YOUR IMAGINATION CONJURED UP to start a counter argument that is excessively, and unnecessarily, analytical of a condescending person being a d!ck. I'm not advocating $hit you feminist apologist, I am declaring that his argument was condescending, but not anyway offensive to the extent of getting all this attention. If it was a young MALE reporter, and Cam said the same thing, it would be the SAME conclusion: He's an A$$hole; BUT since it's a woman, pull out the sexism card! It's a joke. :rolleyes:

Oh the irony of neophyte.:rolleyes:

You have issues with Cam being dismissive w/a female reporter, yet you declare that those who disagree that "it's a story" or being offended by his comment is petulant, are now  "Chauvinists". Lol. what a tool. :rolleyes:

Nope, didn't strike a nerve at all. 

34 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sounds like this thread struck a nerve with the chauvinists out there.  Lot's of outrage coming from people who are complaining about people being "easily offended". 

I'm not personally offended, since I'm not a female beat writer.  But this is most definitely a story. 

Shouldn't you be in the 100,000 thread posting scantily dressed woman? 

51 minutes ago, Pac said:

It is weird to hear a woman talking about routes..  or announcing a game with Rex Ryan.. or voting.

Ok maybe not voting but the other 2 things for sure are a bit weird.  

There's got to be something more important to get offended by...  like shooting free throws with paper towel rolls into a crowd of people who lost their homes.

Your mere existence offends me.

21 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

SMH?

My best guess is this:

To him, you are a kind of authority figure here.

Authority figures are supposed to be just and kind and omnipotent and empathetic to every plight of every person.

Because life is supposed to be fair and that is how the world works.

Something like that?

Now shut this thread down.....I AM DEEPLY OFFENDED!

1 minute ago, Lil Woody said:

My best guess is this:

To him, you are a kind of authority figure here.

Authority figures are supposed to be just and kind and omnipotent and empathetic to every plight of every person.

Because life is supposed to be fair and that is how the world works.

Something like that?

Now shut this thread down.....I AM DEEPLY OFFENDED!

Funny talking about something being offensive with you.

Cam is a pretentious dick but still he has a point. 

Its weird the number of women involved in football media - they don't have man muscle or testosterone and it's like a guy talking about bra comfort when I see them out there, they can do it but with an unrelatability that's palpable.

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

Cam is a pretentious dick but still he has a point. 

Its weird the number of women involved in football media - they don't have man muscle or testosterone and it's like a guy talking about bra comfort when I see them out there, they can do it but with an unrelatability that's palpable.

I happen to be an authority on bra comfort having worn one since fourth grade.

The world is not fair at all; some people can say stupid, insensitive things all day long and get away with it, while other's can't.

Cam has the 1st amendment right to saying any stupid thing that pops into his head, but he also gets to pay the consequences for it - now he lost a major endorsement

Does Cam have a point, I don't think so. Plenty of people who don't have the physical ability to play WR report about it. Peter King would probably have a heart attack, Mel Kippr yep he can. You don't have to be able to be a WR to be knowledgable. Plenty of coaches/analysists never played the sport. So, should someone need to be physically and mentally able to be an astronaut in order to interview them.

Not only is what he said insensitive, it was downright unprofessional. I am sure that it is quite annoying to have to answer questions from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about. But to imply that it is because she is a woman is just stupid IMO. And, even if the question/reporter is stupid, he still needs to remain professional. If you could disrespect a reporter just because he was ignorant or lazy, then they would make Manish wear a clown costume to even get into the press conference and reply to each of his questions with 'i am so used to hearing dumb questions from stupid reporters'.

Is it as important as all the other stuff going on in the world, no, of course not. But you have to realize that you should always stand up for inequity whenever you see it no matter how small, otherwise it will blossom into something much worse.

I often wonder if people really believe that people should have thicker skin, they actually feel that a woman couldn't be knowledgable about football, or they are clinging to an outdated way of thinking as to make themselves feel superior because in fact they feel that they are not. I don't mean to offend anyone here, but it really gets my goat to think that people really think women can't do things because they are women. As a father of a little girl it just makes me irate. Can most women play in the NFL, of course not (of course most men can't either) - but can they be journalists, CEO's, politicians, of course they can.

He is the face of the Panthers and a role model - if you are in the role, you have to accept the responsibilities of the role. The guy lost a lot of money by saying something stupid. Maybe he learned his lesson.

Anybody catch the season premier of Curb Your Enthusiasm?

If you havent and are an easily offended hand wringing pussyman I would suggest you avoid it as you may be one of approximately a dozen elements of our society (myself included) they purposely and hilariously offended.

9 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

If you havent and are an easily offended hand wringing pussyman I would suggest you avoid it as you may be one of approximately a dozen elements of our society (myself included) they purposely and hilariously offended.

Slight difference between watching a comedy where they use sarcasm and insult everyone for entertainment purposes (and they are actually making fun of the people for acting that way) and a news conference where someone is condescending down to a 'professional'.

Not sure what you do for a living or where you do it, but if you walked around an office acting and speaking the way they do on that show, you might want to reconsider. If you don't and realize that something may be funny on TV but not appropriate in the real world, you should realize that Cam is an idiot.

23 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Even Larry couldnt get away with a lot of the stuff he did in the earlier seasons now.

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

If he just apologized it would be a non-story.  The story is that he's compounding his stupidity by sticking to his guns.    

We already had the sexism issue.  Now you're bringing guns into the equation?! :)

There is a great interview with Bob Dylan and a Time Magazine person, with Dylan is basically saying that this writer really doesn't understand anything, and it's just superficial crap he writes, and he'll never "get" it.... that's what Cam meant, but in less words.

2 hours ago, prime21 said:

At my office for my many many years, I rarely have had any woman come up to me to talk about something detailed in any sports.  Maybe a " I hear this team won or lost" etc.  If someone came up and asked me about route running...that would be weird.   But female sports reporters?  They have been around for several years.  They are studio anchors.  They are field reporters.  They are hosts on the Fan.  All this is weird to you?  How many more years do you need for it to not become weird to you?

like 10 more years.

I think you're mistaking "weird" for "unacceptable".

Archived