Joe Girardi

Smashmouth

This guy should have been dumped years ago. His line ups are ridiculous. For years he led off Jeter instead of Gardner (in his late 30's and early 40's) when He should have been batting second or third since he was an aggressive hitter, now hes batting Aaron Judge second and Castro 5 th ?? Not to mention Jeter always hit to the right side which would have been great to move runners into scoring position by hitting behind them.

Tonight he blew this game on 3 separate stupid decisions . 

1. Does not challenge the foul tip off the knob of the bat which would have ended the inning since Sanchez caught the ball.

2. Then he leaves Green in after loading the bases and a long relief app three days before rather than going to Robertson to get us out of the Jam ..result Grand slam.

3. Then when he does bring in Robertson he leaves him in way to long after a long relief appearance 3 days before result game tieng home run.

This team is certainly not perfect and they are young but I would bet anything if Joe Torre was the manager they would have won 100 games  and not lost tonight. Terrible handling of the pitching staff and stupid line ups that no one else makes will probably continue as long as this clown is managing the team. 

Get Mattingly to manage at the very least he will bring hard work and some passion to the dugout.

• 2 weeks later...

Now hopefully they sign Donnie Baseball.

I think a few blunders and the mind boggling way Joe set his line-ups cost him his job. 

Great guy always loved Joe but he seemed to be too wrapped up in the metrics and lost his feel for the game. His line ups left a lot of people scratching their heads. When Ellsbury and Headly could not buy a hit in the Division series he left Holliday on the bench a guy who saw only a few at bats the entire post season. Sure Holliday was not the player he once was but neither were Headly or Ellsbury

28 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I think a few blunders and the mind boggling way Joe set his line-ups cost him his job. 

Great guy always loved Joe but he seemed to be too wrapped up in the metrics and lost his feel for the game. His line ups left a lot of people scratching their heads. When Ellsbury and Headly could not buy a hit in the Division series he left Holliday on the bench a guy who saw only a few at bats the entire post season. Sure Holliday was not the player he once was but neither were Headly or Ellsbury

You say "too wrapped up in the metrics" but they seem to want somebody even more metric crazy.  

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Headley hit about .400 in the ALCS.......

Girardi should have been kept. You dont let go of a good manager, ever. 

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

You say "too wrapped up in the metrics" but they seem to want somebody even more metric crazy.  

This whole treatment of baseball statistics as some form of voodoo would have been lazy 15 years ago. I legitimately can not understand the mindset, it’s not some newfangled doohickey those darned kids keep fiddling around with. 

My guess is Girardi is too much of a hard ass  for the young guys and that’s not going to appeal to a 26 YO entertainer like Harper next year. 

2 hours ago, Barton said:

Headley hit about .400 in the ALCS.......

Girardi should have been kept. You dont let go of a good manager, ever. 

I know exactly what Headly did but up to the point he started hitting he was at .000 for about 7 games straight along with Ellsbury while Holliday sat the bench

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

This whole treatment of baseball statistics as some form of voodoo would have been lazy 15 years ago. I legitimately can not understand the mindset, it’s not some newfangled doohickey those darned kids keep fiddling around with. 

My guess is Girardi is too much of a hard ass  for the young guys and that’s not going to appeal to a 26 YO entertainer like Harper next year. 

This is the problem I don't thin Girardi is a hard ass at all or Sanchez would have been DHing at some point for an extended period not just a few games. How would Harper know whats going on here anyhow ?

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I know exactly what Headly did but up to the point he started hitting he was at .000 for about 7 games straight along with Ellsbury while Holliday sat the bench

Bro, Holliday looked like crap for the past 3 months. At least Ellsbury hit what, .330 in September? and Headley hit about what, .315 in the 2nd half?

1 minute ago, Barton said:

What exactly is Girardi being let go for? 

Leading the team to over-achieve this year?? I dont get it. 

The Yankee talent showed itself it was NOT Girardi who brought out some miracle this team came together at the right time got healthy and proved in the post season they had the talent all along to compete.

Just now, Smashmouth said:

The Yankee talent showed itself it was NOT Girardi who brought out some miracle this team came together at the right time got healthy and proved in the post season they had the talent all along to compete.

This team played hard. They never gave up. These guys cared about each other.

That reflects on their manager. 

20 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

This is the problem I don't thin Girardi is a hard ass at all or Sanchez would have been DHing at some point for an extended period not just a few games. How would Harper know whats going on here anyhow ?

Walk me through any of this, please. I’m both fascinated and flabbergasted by all of it. 

5 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Walk me through any of this, please. I’m both fascinated and flabbergasted by all of it. 

what exactly do you need me to walk you through ? Sanchez had major Issues behind the plate for most of the year pretty much everyone knows this yet Girardi did little to nothing from a disiplinary standpoint to try and push Sanchez in the right direction. So you explain to me how Girardi is a hard ass ?  In the case of Harper, you brought that up, I responded to both of you're statements so what are you flabbergasted and Fascinated with ?

9 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

what exactly do you need me to walk you through ? Sanchez had major Issues behind the plate for most of the year pretty much everyone knows this yet Girardi did little to nothing from a disiplinary standpoint to try and push Sanchez in the right direction. So you explain to me how Girardi is a hard ass ?  In the case of Harper, you brought that up, I responded to both of you're statements so what are you flabbergasted and Fascinated with ?

So you equate disciplining the 23 YO catcher to putting him at DH? This teaches him....what? Haven’t the Yankees benched Sanchez multiple times anyway? 

I’m aware I brought up Harper. That’s isn’t what I needed explained. Harper’s going to be the biggest FA ever, has the greatest agent in sports history as his top rep, and like a growing number of today’s players notoriously stays informed. 

7 hours ago, SenorGato said:

So you equate disciplining the 23 YO catcher to putting him at DH? This teaches him....what? Haven’t the Yankees benched Sanchez multiple times anyway? 

I’m aware I brought up Harper. That’s isn’t what I needed explained. Harper’s going to be the biggest FA ever, has the greatest agent in sports history as his top rep, and like a growing number of today’s players notoriously stays informed. 

In the case of Harper I think we can put everything aside including you're worries about a hard ass manager. The Yankees are obviously not the NY Jets everyone or most players would not turn down an opportunity to play for the Yankees especially now that they are heading back in the right direction.

Putting Sanchez at DH or any good hitting catcher is a smack in the face. Most catchers take pride in their defense and this is what Girardi was trying to show Sanchez that you need to do the little things when it comes to the position because they can bite you in the ass if you don't. There was no reason to be flabbergasted with what I said seemed like a bit of an over reaction 

@SMC yes reports are within the organization but Mattingly played here for 12 years so hes part of the Yankee family and was considered in the past. I think he would make a great manager for all these young kids especially Aaron Judge who seems susceptible to long slumps. Im leaning toward wht you are saying that they wont sign Mattingly but I can still have hope. I would love to see Donnie baseball get some rings as a Yankee

6 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

In the case of Harper I think we can put everything aside including you're worries about a hard ass manager. The Yankees are obviously not the NY Jets everyone or most players would not turn down an opportunity to play for the Yankees especially now that they are heading back in the right direction.

Putting Sanchez at DH or any good hitting catcher is a smack in the face. Most catchers take pride in their defense and this is what Girardi was trying to show Sanchez that you need to do the little things when it comes to the position because they can bite you in the ass if you don't. There was no reason to be flabbergasted with what I said seemed like a bit of an over reaction 

Bold: This can be said about several franchises right now. 

Second: So Girardi....was hard on Sanchez? Two posts. Also since the position is catcher and Sanchez can mash, isn’t DH just another way to rest his legs and keep his bat in the lineup? 

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

Bold: This can be said about several franchises right now. 

Second: So Girardi....was hard on Sanchez? Two posts. Also since the position is catcher and Sanchez can mash, isn’t DH just another way to rest his legs and keep his bat in the lineup? 

dude go back and read I'm saying Girardi was not hard enough on Sanchez

18 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

This is the problem I don't think Girardi is a hard ass at all or Sanchez would have been DHing at some point for an extended period not just a few games. How would Harper know whats going on here anyhow ?

12 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

dude go back and read I'm saying Girardi was not hard enough on Sanchez

Yes and then you said this:

Most catchers take pride in their defense and this is what Girardi was trying to show Sanchez that you need to do the little things when it comes to the position because they can bite you in the ass if you don't.

It’s all very confusing but I’m OK with that now. Thanks 

Archived