Hacken-buried?

TuscanyTile2

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Warfish said:

He's buried as the #3.  All but forgotten.

Behind a never was old man in McCown.

And a never will be mid-rounder in Petty.

What else do you need to "learn" before you see the kid for what he is thus far?

Will it take 32 starts a la Geno before you see it?

I get it mate, I do, we all wanted to see him play, but it's got to be earned, and his play in preseason was horrible by and large.  

There is still time, he could show us yet.....he IS young.....but man, it's not looking good.

Yeah the Geno and Sanchez excuse factories are still operating in some quarters

55 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

with 100M of cap space the Jets can do both.   Cousins makes this team an immediate contender r for the AFC East, even with Brady still in NE.   Imagine this team with Cousins and drafting Ridley or OT in Rd 1 and Falk in rd 2.   Yes, I know it's hard to imagine NOT drafting a DL, tiny LB, or CB without ball skills... but just imagine.  

re: Hack - the kid is still only like 22 years old and definitely improved from year 1 to year 2.   I just don't see what all the Hack hate is about.  He's in the worst environment imaginable and the fan base is looking for savior that may never come.   Let the team develop, let hack develop, and see what happens.   If the Jets had any stability at the QB position this would be a non-issue and Hack would be the heir apparent and have time to learn.   

Exactly this.  Last thing I want is for the Jets to make no effort to get Cousins or Alex Smith and put all of their eggs in one basket like they did with Sanchez.

3 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

It didn't look like Goff belonged either last year, or Eli, or lots of others.  The Jets are trying to put together some of the other pieces and doing it with a serviceable QB in McCown and see what Petty has  when we're eliminated, and Hackenberg in camp next year, but I fully expect them to bring in a vet and additional competition. 

Wrong. 

Goff did, and does, belong.  He put good tape out there in college with a mediocre supporting cast.

Hack has put dreadful tape on display for all to see... both at Penn State and with the Jets in preseason.

Does Hack have to draw you a map to Sucksville for some of you to see that he should be selling insurance?

13 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Wrong. 

Goff did, and does, belong.  He put good tape out there in college with a mediocre supporting cast.

Hack has put dreadful tape on display for all to see... both at Penn State and with the Jets in preseason.

Does Hack have to draw you a map to Sucksville for some of you to see that he should be selling insurance?

That is great that you know. Personally I think if the Jets cut Hack that someone else would pick him up.

But it is a silly point, because he isn't getting cut anytime soon. He has to actually play first. There are things that they like about Petty and Hack but it is a long shot that either one of them is the starting QB next season.

At any rate, I am going to root for the Jets to win, so don't spoil the ending for me. I like watching things play out on the field.  :)

23 minutes ago, Maxman said:

That is great that you know. Personally I think if the Jets cut Hack that someone else would pick him up.

But it is a silly point, because he isn't getting cut anytime soon. He has to actually play first. There are things that they like about Petty and Hack but it is a long shot that either one of them is the starting QB next season.

At any rate, I am going to root for the Jets to win, so don't spoil the ending for me. I like watching things play out on the field.  :)

I can root for Petty to succeed.  I am holding out some hope that he can be a quality backup or serviceable starter. 

Today is the first 2017 Jet game I will watch.  The weather is expected to be too sh*tty to go fishing. 

McCown is not interesting in the least.

As for Hack, I am still livid about the "panic" selection of him in the 2nd round.  Appalling.  Maddening.  Unforgivable.

58 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I can root for Petty to succeed.  I am holding out some hope that he can be a quality backup or serviceable starter. 

Today is the first 2017 Jet game I will watch.  The weather is expected to be too sh*tty to go fishing. 

As for Hack, I am still livid about the "panic" selection of him in the 2nd round.  Appalling.  Maddening.  Unforgivable.

You call yourself a Jets fan ? Today will be the first Jets game you will watch ? How could you have not had any interest in the Jets with all the young promising kids we currently have on the roster ? They happen to be playing pretty well and way beyond any expectations any of us could have dreamed up . How can you muster any opinions at all on a team you don't even watch and claim you're a fan of ?

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

So if he turned out to be good you still wouldn't forgive them for taking him?

38 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

You call yourself a Jets fan ? Today will be the first Jets game you will watch ? How could you have not had any interest in the Jets with all the young promising kids we currently have on the roster ? They happen to be playing pretty well and way beyond any expectations any of us could have dreamed up . How can you muster any opinions at all on a team you don't even watch and claim you're a fan of ?

Yeah it just isn't in my DNA to miss a game, ever. 

This isn't a real fan kind of statement; just a statement. I am not worried about what others do. I just know I have to watch every play.

11 hours ago, johnnysd said:

NO. This stance is completely nonsensical. He is a young developmental player. One with ELITE skills by the way. And the only way to know if he can become a NFL QB is to play him AND create a support structure to allow him to develop. This applies to Petty as well.

One only needs to look at what is happening with the Rams (I hate the new abbreviations LAC and LAC BTW) to see this is true.

Goff looked WORSE than Hack last year. Yet they get rid of a coach amazingly similar to Bowles, get some new offensive weapons, a QB focused head coach, and a young player friendly offensive system and all of a sudden Goff looks like a franchise QB and the Rams are leading the NFL in points.

Developing a QB requirements commitment and dedication to creating an environment for the QB to grow, which unfortunately is the opposite of what the Jets do under Bowles, This actually makes Petty's clear development even more impressive since he is clearly SIGNIFICANTLY better than last year despite the Jets almost active attempts to undermine his development.

What nonsense. Hack n goff had zero comparison last year. Hack's only comparisons from last year were against all non-NFL QBs, since you know he wasn't even capable of holding a clipboard on the sidelines. I don't think you need a support system for that. We effed up. It's time to move on. We don't have 6 years to develop garbage. He's not even good enough to be a backup. Petty being the #2QB is your answer to why Hack is buried and it's not because of a lack of support. Petty is clearly light years beyond that garbage. Your suggested environment only hinders Petty's development. Why provide that stepping stone for Hack instead of Petty? McCown isn't the answer, I'll give you that. But please don't use the word "ELITE" and Hack within the same sentence. 

23 hours ago, johnnysd said:

NO. This stance is completely nonsensical. He is a young developmental player. One with ELITE skills by the way. And the only way to know if he can become a NFL QB is to play him AND create a support structure to allow him to develop. This applies to Petty as well.

One only needs to look at what is happening with the Rams (I hate the new abbreviations LAC and LAC BTW) to see this is true.

Goff looked WORSE than Hack last year. Yet they get rid of a coach amazingly similar to Bowles, get some new offensive weapons, a QB focused head coach, and a young player friendly offensive system and all of a sudden Goff looks like a franchise QB and the Rams are leading the NFL in points.

Developing a QB requirements commitment and dedication to creating an environment for the QB to grow, which unfortunately is the opposite of what the Jets do under Bowles, This actually makes Petty's clear development even more impressive since he is clearly SIGNIFICANTLY better than last year despite the Jets almost active attempts to undermine his development.

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

I do think that Hack will play this year for what its worth.

McCown will get hurt. Petty always seems to get hurt as well.

Thus the logic to resign Kerley.  And he's wearing a QB's number. ?

7 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I watched virtually every game for more than 30 years up until last year.  So yes, I think it is reasonable to consider myself a fan.

I also think it is reasonable to have burned out on this franchise and their decades long run mired in purgatory without a franchise QB.

And who are you to decide what a real fan is?  I know as much about the Jets as anybody, this season not included.  If you want to watch a 5-11 team with McCown at the helm, have at it.  I decided to something far more enjoyable... in this case... spending my Sundays on the water and targeting the Florida inshore grand slam.

11 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Bury him?  I was alright with just cutting him.  Seems a little harsh though.

Cutting him would be pretty harsh too (not to mention illegal!)

In any case though, Petty was buried this year.

Maybe, just maybe, Hackenberg is being DEVELOPED. They brought in Morton & Bates for a reason. Hack is 22 years old! 22! What's Petty, 27 next year? Until the Jets cut him, I'm thinking these new OC guys see something in him. 

I've seen so many late bloomer QBs in this league. He was a 2nd round pick. My god you guys make it seem like he was picked in the top 10 in the 1st round. The Jets have put in a brand new WCO. McCown though old & below average knows how to run this offense, can relate this info to Petty & Hack, which gives them a much better chance at success when it's their turn again. Also, increasing the talent by bringing along these young offensive skill players behind a couple vets is also smart. It's like Jet fans just wanted to throw a bunch of neophytes on the field. That would just create chaos. I like how they're incorporating these kids & we'll see more of them in the 2nd half of the season. 

19 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Your post gives me recall to say Arron Rodgers, who sat for a few years and also Jimmy Garappolo. Petty and Hack could still be starting QB's in the NFL with continued development and improvement. Just not sure if the Jets can moved these guys further along.

20 hours ago, AFJF said:

He's lucky to be on a roster at all.  If he's ever going to be any good, it's going to be a few years from now.

And this is precisely what every NFL prognosticator stated before Hack was drafted.  

I wanted Hack drafted and felt that next year was really the first season we would know what we had in Hack; wishing that he was Johnny Unitas in year two is simply mad wishful thinking IMO.   

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

And this is precisely what every NFL prognosticator stated before Hack was drafted.  

I wanted Hack drafted and felt that next year was really the first season we would know what we had in Hack; wishing that he was Johnny Unitas in year two is simply mad wishful thinking IMO.   

Yup.  I haven’t completely given up on Hack, but I’m 95% if the way there, and that 95% is looking at the other 5% like, “WTF is wrong with you?”

24 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I have no idea what's happening behind the scenes regarding Hackenberg now that we have QB whisperer in Bates & a credible OC like Morton who comes from a great offensive system under Sean Payton & the Saints. But immersing the 22 year old in the WCO so he knows it like the back of his hand would help him play faster. I'm not giving up on him until the Jets do & obviously that hasn't happened yet. He's got 4 years to be better than Petty is now, I'm guessing that's gonna be a given.

53 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

What positives have you seen that give you any hope? 

You left out the part where I said I’m 95% sure he’s toast.

What have I seen?  Not much.  Throws a good deep ball and he’s still only like 12 years old.

Okay, I’m 99% sure he’s gonna suck.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

You left out the part where I said I’m 95% sure he’s toast.

What have I seen?  Not much.  Throws a good deep ball and he’s still only like 12 years old.

Okay, I’m 99% sure he’s gonna suck.

No I was looking for the 5% positive. :D

13 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Wrong. 

He'll be coming back for training camp next year, if he performs like he did this past year, that's his likely career path.

6 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I watched virtually every game for more than 30 years up until last year.  So yes, I think it is reasonable to consider myself a fan.

I also think it is reasonable to have burned out on this franchise and their decades long run mired in purgatory without a franchise QB.

And who are you to decide what a real fan is?  I know as much about the Jets as anybody, this season not included.  If you want to watch a 5-11 team with McCown at the helm, have at it.  I decided to something far more enjoyable... in this case... spending my Sundays on the water and targeting the Florida inshore grand slam.

RoadFan you know why I didn't take the route you did ? Because I knew if I stopped watching the Jets would probably play great and stick it right in my face. Why ? Cause their the fcukin Jets, its what they do. A same old Jet thing would have meant a loss today In Cleveland but they pulled it out maybe things are changing. 

On 10/7/2017 at 3:15 PM, johnnysd said:

right. i wonder if any of the people who said the jets don't have any players that can start on another team are changing their tunes yet.  it's a team game and not every player is myles garrett. right now you can see the jets have some nice talent developing and these players will be desired by other teams. let's hope they can keep it going.

as for hack, i'd love to see him or petty get in their instead of mccown but at the same time what kind of a signal does it send to the team? at some point they have to try.

On 10/7/2017 at 12:56 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I was hoping this season was going to be about learning whether or not Hack can play.  But with the Jets about to go (possibly) 3-2, Hack seems like he's at the bottom of the barrel of Jets' priorities right now.  Heck, he's also not even the #2 QB at the moment.  Is he buried for this season or do we think he still gets a chance to play?  If the season crashes and burns (which it might), then he might get in there.  But if it crashes and burns to the point where we can draft Darnold then Hack is never going to get his chance here.  How many 2nd round QBs never even get a snap? 

I’m a Mac fan but he screwed up on hack, he was never 2 round material. I still don’t know what that was all about 

Archived