Maxman

### Jets \ Browns -- (Let's Get Over .500) Game Thread ###

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Because of a practice called "cross-flexing," which the league created a few years ago. It allows up to seven games a season that would ordinarily be aired on CBS or Fox to be aired on the opposite network.

The aim is to put the most compelling games in front of the largest possible audience especially in a week where one network has all the most intriguing games.

An extra twist this season is that the Jets and Giants go head to head at 1 o'clock several times, including today. The Jets were supposed to suck, so this was allowing one of the networks to get a 1 o'clock or 4 o'clock game of more substance and protect ratings and thus ad dollars in the biggest NFL market  

SAR I

What compelled them to show this uncompelling game? 

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
16 minutes ago, Larz said:

Doesn't matter. The billboards go up, the tabloid media goes for the kill, sports radio is all about the Jets drafted the wrong QB, the kid gets ruined. 

This is the last place a young QB has any chance to grow. 

McCown has his issues, his track record is what it is,  but I think bates and Morton have him playing pretty good. 

Aren't you curious to see if Bates and Morton could have Petty playing pretty good (or better)?

Anyone agree comparing the talent of the two rosters, they have similar talent level. I mean Cleveland overall might have more. Feels like the Jets are playing above their heads a little and wouldn't surprise me if they lost on the road. 

Imagine if we had this coach and management. There would be riots at the stadium. 

The NY Jets are 2-2 through 4 many had them going 0-16 the fact that the negativity continues is very disturbing.  Aren't we all Jets fans?  Look for the positives.  

3-2 after today with a weak NE team coming to town next week. 

I'll be the first to say let's lose this game but it's impossible to lose this one , browns offense is too bad . I still want us to lose though

Just now, joewilly12 said:

The NY Jets are 2-2 through 4 many had them going 0-16 the fact that the negativity continues is very disturbing.  Aren't we all Jets fans?  Look for the positives.  

3-2 after today with a weak NE team coming to town next week. 

I'm rooting for the victory but feeling like this is going to be a big game for McCown. Greg Williams is probably going to stack the run and blitz heavy today. 

59 minutes ago, nycdan said:

If McCown has to sit and Petty comes in and lights things up, that would be the absolute best-case scenario and I'd be all-in for winning every game.  But this constraint of having to root for them to win with McCown starting is wearing on me.  

Totally reasonable. 

The Jets USED to be underdogs for this game by some 10+ points back in August, IIRC:

"The Jets are 8-point underdogs at Buffalo in the season opener. With a bad performance, Salmons said the Jets could easily be 17-point underdogs in Week 2 at Oakland and potentially 10-point underdogs at Cleveland in Week 5. . . .The Browns have not been a double-digit favorite in any game since the 2007 season."

NOW, they're favored to win. It's a CLASSIC Jets-ian Trap game: Jets will lead, blow lead late and lose a CLOSE one as time expires. Book it. 

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Aren't you curious to see if Bates and Morton could have Petty playing pretty good (or better)?

They are already on record as having evaluated him as a backup based on his starts last year. 

There is nothing wrong with that, every team needs a backup, add that he is on his rookie deal and it's a good situation. 

The average career for NFL QBs is 3 years. They have to prove themselves in the weight room, meeting room, practice field and seize any opportunity they get. 

Petty did not do enough with his opportunity. 

I like Petty, he isn't afraid to push the ball down field, he's a good athlete, good kid. 

I know the backup QB is always popular, I just don't see the benefit of force feeding petty 

I'd McCown gets hurt and petty plays great, good for us. You all can jump on me and say I was posting he sucks and post wwf gifs, have fun with it. 

All I have been saying is it was a mistake to bring McCown in here in the first place, but now that he is here he starts because he is better than petty and that's just how it works. 

I have also said that could change when the Jets gets mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. 

Here's the thing 

Don't be shocked if Hackenberg is the guy who gets the start. 

Not because of politics or Jets stupidity, but because they have evaluated Petty as a backup but Hackenberg is an enigma. 

That's just how I have interpreted the Jets decisions. 

8 minutes ago, Larz said:

They are already on record as having evaluated him as a backup based on his starts last year. 

There is nothing wrong with that, every team needs a backup, add that he is on his rookie deal and it's a good situation. 

The average career for NFL QBs is 3 years. They have to prove themselves in the weight room, meeting room, practice field and seize any opportunity they get. 

Petty did not do enough with his opportunity. 

I like Petty, he isn't afraid to push the ball down field, he's a good athlete, good kid. 

I know the backup QB is always popular, I just don't see the benefit of force feeding petty 

I'd McCown gets hurt and petty plays great, good for us. You all can jump on me and say I was posting he sucks and post wwf gifs, have fun with it. 

All I have been saying is it was a mistake to bring McCown in here in the first place, but now that he is here he starts because he is better than petty and that's just how it works. 

I have also said that could change when the Jets gets mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. 

Here's the thing 

Don't be shocked if Hackenberg is the guy who gets the start. 

Not because of politics or Jets stupidity, but because they have evaluated Petty as a backup but Hackenberg is an enigma. 

That's just how I have interpreted the Jets decisions. 

I think Petty is next man up with the Jets. And one way or the other he should play this season. He had 4 starts last year and didn't look good but it usually takes at least 12 starts for a Qb to know what he's doing on the field. And for things to slow down. I thought he looked good in pre-season but he got injured and it slowed down his progress. Right now you have to stay with McCown but if he gets injured or is ineffective you go to Petty. Unless we're in contention I give Petty all of the December starts. If he's terrible make room for Hack. It's possible we could have a completely new Qb room new year.

1 hour ago, Larz said:

If Kizer was a jet, the billboards would already be up 

If Kizer was a Jet, the whiners that post here would already being calling him a bust. 

If the Jets win today the tank is officially over.

If that happens I will once again be drawn into a false reality and start thinking  (delusional thoughts) they have a chance to play meaningful games in December.

LETS GO JETS!

42 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Image result for large hamburger

*Disclaimer I do not know anyone pictured or do I imply this is anyone who is a member of JetNation. 

No idea who the fat guy is but pretty sure the guy in the glasses is Doggin94it

Kizer is having baptism under fire. I'm not a fan of it because I don't like losing games. I know plenty of fans on this board are. He could like the Rams kid end up  learning a lot and doing well in the future. Eventually you have to give these guys starts. But to me they should be more ready. 

4 hours ago, varjet said:

Beachum and Garrett are a bad matchup. 

a former pro bowler versus a rookie who hasnt yet played a snap in the league? Yup, you're right...

1 hour ago, thebuzzardman said:

What compelled them to show this uncompelling game? 

The NFL has to show all road games in local markets even if the team sucks (which was the Jets forecast).

So with the Jets and Giants on simultaneously at 1pm it allowed FOX to air Packers Cowboys and guarantee that 100% of the New York market would not be distracted by the local teams' broadcasts.

SAR I