Mike Pennel

AFJF

Anybody see him make a play yet?  Feels like he was given Deon Simon's spot but hasn't played nearly as well as Simon did last season.

Honestly haven't paid much attention to him on film in limited reps so wondering if I missed something.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Anybody see him make a play yet?  Feels like he was given Deon Simon's spot but hasn't played nearly as well as Simon did last season.

Honestly haven't paid much attention to him on film in limited reps so wondering if I missed something.

I don't think he has a tackle yet. The run defense started off pretty poorly. He is about the same age as Simon so I am still surprised by the cut. Simon seems like the better player, not sure why Macc would cut him.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Just saw he's got a PFF grade of 46.2.  Last season Simon graded out at a 75.

I am not a huge fan of the PFF grades for lineman in most cases. But in this case, the guy has done nothing, so the drop in score seems pretty accurate. Simon showed potential last year.

Just now, Maxman said:

I don't think he has a tackle yet. The run defense started off pretty poorly. He is about the same age as Simon so I am still surprised by the cut. Simon seems like the better player, not sure why Macc would cut him.

Loos like he had a couple tackles vs. Buffalo but that's it.  I wonder what he and Simon are weighing in at.  If he's got 20 or so pounds on Simon, the only reason I can see keeping Pennel is b/c he's more of a prototypical NT.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Loos like he had a couple tackles vs. Buffalo but that's it.  I wonder what he and Simon are weighing in at.  If he's got 20 or so pounds on Simon, the only reason I can see keeping Pennel is b/c he's more of a prototypical NT.

My bad, just looked him up 4 tackles on the season.

Hopefully he is the better player and he is just getting his feet wet in the new (to him) defense.

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

My bad, just looked him up 4 tackles on the season.

Hopefully he is the better player and he is just getting his feet wet in the new (to him) defense.

Watching some All 22 right now vs. Jax.  First drive he got some reps but zero impact.  On second or third play Bortles had a ton of time to throw and the LG completely stonewalled Pennel....zero push which is surprising for a guy with his size/strength.

10 hours ago, AFJF said:

Watching some All 22 right now vs. Jax.  First drive he got some reps but zero impact.  On second or third play Bortles had a ton of time to throw and the LG completely stonewalled Pennel....zero push which is surprising for a guy with his size/strength.

Guys, either these guys (Wilk, Will, and Pennell) do what they're doing and allow the Linebackers to do what they're doing or they go after the QB and make our linebackers invisible . Which would you rather have, the results from the 1st 2 defensive games or the results from the last 2 ?  If tour defensive line stay in their gaps, tie up offensive linemen and allow our linebackers to use their speed, the defense is better. Their stats suffer, but the defense is better . 

The question then becomes, do you play for stats so you can fool people into a big payday or do you play to win and earn a big payday by doing your job .

Just now, Tinstar said:

Guys, either these guys (Wilk, Will, and Pennell) do what they're doing and allow the Linebackers to do what they're doing or they go after the QB and make our linebackers invisible . Which would you rather have, the results from the 1st 2 defensive games or the results from the last 2 ?  If tour defensive line stay in their gaps, tie up offensive linemen and allow our linebackers to use their speed, the defense is better. Their stats suffer, but the defense is better . 

The question then becomes, do you play for stats so you can fool people into a big payday or do you play to win and earn a big payday by doing your job .

I agree, but if you’re not having any success in winning your battles up front, that’s not good.  

Pennel played 19 snaps vs Jax but I believe five or six came on opening drive when Jax walked down for an easy TD.

Didn't watch any of the other games b/c it was 3am.  

Archived