Maybe we didn't give the Jets their due for beating Jacksonville

AFJF

Jax hung 29 on a tough Houston defense in the opener.

Scored 44 against Balt on the road

Beat Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh 30-9 today.

Not so sure that constitutes a "soft" team.

Just a thought.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Just a thought.

Was thinking that today. I think it was lucky schedule wise since the Jags were by you the week before.

Still though it is looking like a win against a good team. Encouraging.

Agree

I think the character of this team is strong and that is helping as well 

I remain most impressed by Morton. It took him longer to adjust today, but that was Gregg Williams on the other side. The play design on Kerleys TD was sweet and the play call with 6 seconds to go in the 1st half was perfect. 

The whole feeling of this team is different, they have tuned out the horrible tank crowd and work hard to win. There is a whole lot to clean up but man this team is proving something, next week at home against Ne could be a franchise statement game

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Just a thought.

honest hypothetical question.. would you pick the jets over the jaguars next week, home or away??

McCown is playing quite well right now, despite 1-2 dumb turnovers per game.

I doubt it lasts though.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this team is going to come down to earth the rest of the season, and it starts next week.  Maybe they beat Miami again to go 4-3 but after that, fun time is over.

15 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Just a thought.

This is a good point. I never bought into their drubbing of the Ravens being significant. It was a London game that Jax does every year, and is more accustomed to. Hell, we all know how bad the Jets are when they have to travel to the west coast. I chalked that score up to the Ravens simply being unprepared.

But the Steelers? While I haven't watched any of their games this season, it does make me scratch my head.

Just now, Spoot-Face said:

This is a good point. I never bought into their drubbing of the Ravens being significant. It was a London game that Jax does every year, and is more accustomed, too. Hell, we all know how bad the Jets are when they have to travel to the west coast. I chalked that score up to the Ravens simply being unprepared.

But the Steelers? While I haven't watched any of their games this season, it does make me scratch my head.

Picked off Big Ben 5 times.

Just now, AFJF said:

Picked off Big Ben 5 times.

Yeah, I saw the headlines. Anything going on with the Steelers? Any significant injuries? Did they lose any important players during the offseason?

The NFL is ****in' crazy this season. It's like Twin Peaks up in here.

20 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Just a thought.

Rewatch the first half of the Jets Browns game, and then rethink this.

Just now, Lupz27 said:

Rewatch the first half of the Jets Browns game, and then rethink this.

What does today's first half have to do with beating Jacksonville and how Jacksonville has played in their five games this season?

21 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Just a thought.

But I do believe the Jets defense will play MUCH better at home then they will on the road because of how young they are.  The goal should be to get this defense to be consistent Week in, and Week out whether at home, or on the road.  Shame we have a 17 million stiff doing nothing in the middle, and our young lion playing with one arm.

15 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

The whole feeling of this team is different, they have tuned out the horrible tank crowd and work hard to win. There is a whole lot to clean up but man this team is proving something, next week at home against Ne could be a franchise statement game

You can't have a franchise statement game when your starting QB is 38 years old playing for the team for the first time, and is a career loser on a 1 year contract.  Now if Petty was starting, AND the Jets were 3-2 under his watch, and won next week with him that could constitute a franchise statement game.

20 minutes ago, Larz said:

Agree

I think the character of this team is strong and that is helping as well 

I remain most impressed by Morton. It took him longer to adjust today, but that was Gregg Williams on the other side. The play design on Kerleys TD was sweet and the play call with 6 seconds to go in the 1st half was perfect. 

did williams have a bounty out on players today?

right about the play to kerley as well as the td's to asj and kearse.  those were textbook plays.  and the long pass to tommerlin was exceptional. considering they didn't have a run game to speak of, they managed quite well.

1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

This is a good point. I never bought into their drubbing of the Ravens being significant. It was a London game that Jax does every year, and is more accustomed to. Hell, we all know how bad the Jets are when they have to travel to the west coast. I chalked that score up to the Ravens simply being unprepared.

I haven't really watched them but it's certainly possible that the Steelers might not be good anymore.  

2 hours ago, August said:

The way we're winning games doesn't isn't sustainable we've seen this a few times before 2010, 2013, 2015 and so far this season. But we'll see.

They killed the Dolphins, and they would have beaten the Jags handidly if not for that fluke lateral.  Today they did not play nearly as well but still got a road win. We'll see.

Teams one week look like world beaters and then they come out flat the next week. Football is as much mental as physical. You haven't seen a lot of consistency by most teams which is a good thing for the Jets. A team could make the playoffs this year with 9 Ws. After a poor effort today I don't really see us staying with New England next Sunday. If we play that poorly on D against Brady he'll put up a 40 spot on us. 

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

did williams have a bounty out on players today?

right about the play to kerley as well as the td's to asj and kearse.  those were textbook plays.  and the long pass to tommerlin was exceptional. considering they didn't have a run game to speak of, they managed quite well.

Agreed

I meant the Kearse TD

Great design 

8 hours ago, Larz said:

Agreed

I meant the Kearse TD

Great design 

considering that the pass to kerley got them just close enough for the fg in the first half it was a great call and good execution.  considering too that the jets don't have an overpowering bunch of receivers or qb and the oline is so-so morton is doing a great job calling plays and getting the team to execute those plays.

12 hours ago, AFJF said:

What does today's first half have to do with beating Jacksonville and how Jacksonville has played in their five games this season?

Edit NVM thought you were saying the Jets were not a soft team misinterpreted.

12 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

You can't have a franchise statement game when your starting QB is 38 years old playing for the team for the first time, and is a career loser on a 1 year contract.  Now if Petty was starting, AND the Jets were 3-2 under his watch, and won next week with him that could constitute a franchise statement game.

Spot on... I'd even stop calling Bowles DumbA$$ if he would have the guts to play Petty. Then playing Stewart and Hansen more as well would make this 3-2 even better...  

Just now, 68JET11 said:

Spot on... I'd even stop calling Bowles DumbA$$ if he would have the guts to play Petty. Then playing Stewart and Hansen more as well would make this 3-2 even better...  

I'm ok with slowly bringing Stewart, and Hansen along, Kearse is 27, and has another year left, and Kerley is 28 so it's not like he is 35, I remember the days when 27 was the magic number age wise for a WR to break out back in the early to mid 2000's besides the very very very elite guys.

5 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

So you want him to bench the whole offense...lol...

What upside is there for this? Also nothing is holding Stewart and Hansen back... In fact they wanted them to be the guys but had to make late moves to get WRs who can play now.

Don't give me the "won't play young guys" crap either... Two starting rookie safetys

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

I'm ok with slowly bringing Stewart, and Hansen along, Kearse is 27, and has another year left, and Kerley is 28 so it's not like he is 35, I remember the days when 27 was the magic number age wise for a WR to break out back in the early to mid 2000's besides the very very very elite guys.

Get what you're saying and while I've got nothing against Kearse and Kerley, If you're going to rebuild and jetison almost every VET on this team, then why would you play most all rookies and young guys on one side of the ball, and not give the offensive side the same chance at growing and learning. I'm sure they are just as hungry to prove themselves as Adam and Maye are.

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

It doesn't have anything to do with beating Jacksonville it has to do with your quote.

Rewatch the 1st half that was some of the worst football I've seen played in these parts since the Sanchez 2012 end of season.

The Browns sold out against the run and the short pass. McCown isn't taking any shots until they are behind. 

The 2nd half Morton started adjusting to beat their tendencies. Then surprisingly the run started to open up a little. 

I'd love to see Petty get thrown in there for a half just to see what he can do with a well designed offence. 

We do have some weapons on offense. ASJ looks great. We have Robbie, and Stewart. McGuire, and Kearse is a great possession receiver. They just need a QB to get them the ball downfield instead of consistently at the line of scrimmage.    

Archived