So about those Safeties

HawkeyeJet

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Pac said:

They destroyed a hapless Titans team and put up some points on a bad NE defense.  Tonight they're getting spanked and as the season goes on I suspect he'll come back down to earth.  This notion that we passed on Marino again is stupid.  

PAC'S QB HOT TAKES NEW EPISODE

One would think that the Jets should be able to renew their successful 1st and 2nd round picks in the 2017 draft.

But that will be hard, Seahawks not withstanding.  I would think that in the long term Adams is signed for a long term Berry like contract and Maye moves on.  In a few years the Jets should be looking to draft a John Johnson like free Safety

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

The first test comes vs the cheaters 

Happy they had 5 starts to break in

We will find out a lot if Brady can take advantage of them or if they hold their own 

Being at home will help them tremendously, the Jets defense specifically Adams has looked MUCH better during the 2 home games then during the 3 road games.

11 minutes ago, Pac said:

They destroyed a hapless Titans team and put up some points on a bad NE defense.  Tonight they're getting spanked and as the season goes on I suspect he'll come back down to earth.  This notion that we passed on Marino again is stupid.  

KC is the best team in Football IMO.  I suspect you’re wrong, he’s only going to get better.  Nobody is calling him Marino.  The scare is that he looks ridiculously good and he’s better than anything coming out next year while Josh McCown comes back for a triumphant 2nd season. 

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The Safeties look solid, yes.

I'd trade both for Deshaun Watson, right now, no second thoughts.

Can we get DeAndre Hopkins, and Will Fuller in that trade also so Watson looks just as good, or do we have to wait till next year before we get him a true #1 WR, I guess Robbie Anderson would be Will Fuller esque if we had a Hopkins like true #1 WR so they can keep Fuller, Adams, and Maye for Watson, and Hopkins.

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

KC is the best team in Football IMO.  I suspect you’re wrong, he’s only going to get better.  Nobody is calling him Marino.  The scare is that he looks ridiculously good and he’s better than anything coming out next year while Josh McCown comes back for a triumphant 2nd season. 

I'd compare Watson to Prescott, and think both have a ton of talent around them, Prescott has more just because having that O-line is such an advantage, but both seem to have that "IT" factor you can't teach, and both are able to rise, and play great even thou they don't have that prototypical arm, mechanics, size, and all that stuff scouts like to drool over without ever actually talking with a kid to see if he has a head on his shoulders, amazing how guys like Paxton Lynch can get drafted in the 1st round because he is an amazing physical talent, but the most important tool a NFL QB needs to an extent is something that is not measured with rulers, and scales, and radar guns, and they dismiss the fact that the guy who looks like Lynch is goofy, and has terrible intangibles, and questionable at best leadership skills, which IMO was very easy to see just by listening to him talk for 2 minutes, while I also got the exact opposite impression from listening to Prescott talk for 2 minutes, was blown away by his presence, and thought he had that "IT" factor even thou his physical abilities were very much in question.  The NFL really has to change the way they scout these kids, the combine is great, and all, but it is not the be all end all, especially for QB's it should be like 10% of the process.

If nothing else, Watson should make everyone feel ok about not getting the 1st pick.  It seems a lot of the best QBs in the leagues were guys who came after the 1st two picks, or were not the top pick/consensus best prospect in their draft.  

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

If nothing else, Watson should make everyone feel ok about not getting the 1st pick.  It seems a lot of the best QBs in the leagues were guys who came after the 1st two picks, or were not the top pick/consensus best prospect in their draft.  

That sounds a lot like Deshaun Watson.

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Just for the record, I wasn't a fan of taking Maye after already taking Adams, but credit where credit is due. 

I was not a fan of the Maye pick either - but I agree both picks look very, very smart right now.

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

Big props you called Watson from the get go, I was way harsh on him, but to my defense I was only interested in one guy this past draft, and basically filtered out the rest, and looked for reasons to dismiss them to make people look at my guy, lol like it matters what the **** I think, but whatever the Jets have done this to me by never having a QB they turned me into some crazy lunatic who thinks he actually can scout the next franchise QB for them, and it actually matters when it doesn't.

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

That sounds a lot like Deshaun Watson.

Yes lightning will strike twice, a franchise QB will be sitting there for us at pick 6.* 

*We will have the 10th pick.

31 minutes ago, Pac said:

given your sterling record on QB evals, this really gives me a lot of confidence

10 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

If we had Watson, we would win too many games, and not have a good draft pick.

If we had Watson he would be having a so called red shirt year relegated to 4th string QB forgotten status while we give Fellatio to the 38 year old Josh McCown for beating Blake Bortles, Jay Cutler, and Deshon Kizer.

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

If we had Watson he would be having a so called red shirt year relegated to 4th string QB forgotten status while we give Fellatio to the 38 year old Josh McCown for beating Blake Bortles, Jay Cutler, and Deshon Kizer.

This. There is about a 0.0 chance that he would be as good here as he is with Bill O'Brian. Ability to draft and groom QB's comes from the coaches and the culture...something we don't seem to have.

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Right, and we would have lost out on safeties.

8 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

This past year was an anomaly, 2016 the top 2 QB prospects went 1, 2, and the 3rd drafted is horrendous, 2015 the top 2 QB's went 1, 2, and the next QB taken wasn't until like the 3rd round.  And last year will be a harsh lesson to some of these teams that needed QB's, and passed on taking them early, and I see the next draft, and future drafts have the top 2-3 QB's all go in the top 5 if not 1, 2, 3 because of need, and lack of good talent at the position.

And wow what a throw by Watson right there!

39 minutes ago, Pac said:

I believe Watson has thrown two TDs against the Chiefs since this post was published.

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

This past year was an anomaly, 2016 the top 2 QB prospects went 1, 2, and the 3rd drafted is horrendous, 2015 the top 2 QB's went 1, 2, and the next QB taken wasn't until like the 3rd round.  And last year will be a harsh lesson to some of these teams that needed QB's, and passed on taking them early, and I see the next draft, and future drafts have the top 2-3 QB's all go in the top 5 if not 1, 2, 3 because of need, and lack of good talent at the position.

And wow what a throw by Watson right there!

Start  listing the best QBs in football in order.  It will take a bit before you get to a 1st or 2nd pick.  That's all I'm saying.  It seems as though the best of the best are guys who were drafted a bit(sometimes much) later.

1 hour ago, prime21 said:

Loved the Adams pick and like most, was surprised when we picked Maye but I thought it was a good pick as well. They can be game changers for many years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

So could a dozen other players Mac could have picked in round 2. We needed to address several other areas with such a high pick such as the OL or CB or LB or WR.  SMH ??‍♂️ Mac tries to be clever but he ain't no Bugs Bunny ?.

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I believe Watson has thrown two TDs against the Chiefs since this post was published.

and I believe the Chiefs just scored again.. 

sad to see you've devolved into cheering for moral victories.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Know who else looks real good?  DeShaun Watson.  

I never insinuated he wasn't.  I was a huge fan of Watson.  I was on a different board around the draft, but I was all for him at the time.  

They didn't take him,  There is nothing I can do about that.  I'm not even arguing that it is better to have the two safeties.

I'm not going to let all that impact my analysis of Adams and Maye though.  And they are looking to be very good players.  I think some fans will despise them regardless of that though.  

Archived