So about those Safeties

HawkeyeJet

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm not going to let all that impact my analysis of Adams and Maye though.  And they are looking to be very good players.  I think some fans will despise them regardless of that though.  

I don't despise the players.  I despise our GM for taking them where he took them.  It's not their fault we're a dumb franchise.  

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

They are good.  Real good.  Some Might not like drafting two of them, and some down right hate drafting two of them in the 1st two rounds, but they are very, very good.

So about Deshaun Watson. He's good. Real good. Some might not like drafting a first round QB but he's good. Very very good. Give me Watson over Adams and Maye combined. It's not like we had a FHoF QB on our roster. 

4 minutes ago, Pac said:

remember how good Carmelo Watson looked that time they lost by 30 to the Chiefs?

We’re talkingvto the same guys that spent years insisting Geno was good because he had 2-3 nice completions in a game he lost by 3 scores once............ wait a minute :blink:

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Start  listing the best QBs in football in order.  It will take a bit before you get to a 1st or 2nd pick.  That's all I'm saying.  It seems as though the best of the best are guys who were drafted a bit(sometimes much) later.

Thats fine, and all, but 15, of the 32 starting QB's were drafted no later then #4 overall, and 11 of them went #1, or #2.  That shows where about 50% of NFL starters are found, and then 22, of the 32 starters were all taken in the 1st round, and that does not include 2 that are currently hurt (Tannehill, and Bridgewater), 2 that have not been given the job yet (Mahomes, and Lynch), and 1 who started today in place of an injured QB (EJ Manuel).

So IMO the 1st round, particularly early is your best shot at finding a franchise QB, yes a few can be found later, and 2 of them have won Super Bowls 3 of the last 4 years in Wilson, and Brady, but the odds of finding the next Brady, or Wilson, or Prescott are extremely low.

There are only 6 starting QB's drafted after the 2nd round, 2 of which will be replaced next year guaranteed in Hoyer, and hopefully McCown, and possibly both Taylor, and Seiman could be replaced also, but those are not guaranteed.

So I will take my chances on grabbing my QB in the 1st round preferably early so I am not reaching.

1 minute ago, j4jets said:

So about Deshaun Watson. He's good. Real good. Some might not like drafting a first round QB but he's good. Very very good. Give me Watson over Adams and Maye combined. It's not like we had a FHoF QB on our roster. 

That would have been an incredibly witty and awesome post if it hadn't already been covered 20 previous times in this thread, myself included.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

We’re talkingvto the same guys that spent years insisting Geno was good because he had 2-3 nice completions in a game he lost by 3 scores once............ wait a minute :blink:

It'll never happen but you and I both know they should bench Eli and give Smith a crack at it. 

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

That would have been an incredibly witty and awesome post if it hadn't already been covered 20 previous times in this thread, myself included.

So about that. You make a good point. Some may not like the fact idgaf, but you make a really really good point. 

12 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Remember how opposing offenses would throw over our heads for 80yd tds every game last year? Yea that’s gone away, two solid safeties will do that. Not the most sexy position but important as ever

Remember when RB's would take screen passes, and wheel routes for big gains, and TD's, and TE's would kill us across the middle deep, and down the seam deep?  Oh yeah me too because it still has not stopped!

11 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

F*ck me for liking a QB who looks good as a rookie, right?  Are you going to bash people who liked how Sanchez looked early in 2009, too?

The Ape-Pac coalition is off to a roaring start.  

22 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I like that Deshaun is being elevated to full “woe is me” status because he can toss desperation TDs when playing from 3 scores down.

I wanted him at the time, so no, not full "woe is me".  I think Macc (and many Jets fans) missed, badly, on their eval of Watson.

Exactly what I'd expect from the guy who drafted Hack, Macc, tbqh.

But no woe, just an observation.  Safeties will never be as vital as a QB, and while our two look solid enough vs. the bad teams we've played so far, they're effectively irrelevant. 

Because they are safeties.

We'll roll with whomever we get next draft, got an odd feeling it'll either be Mayfield, or no one (i.e. another Veteran).

Just now, Warfish said:

I wanted him at the time, so no, not full "woe is me".  I think Macc missed, badly, on his eval of Watson.

Exactly what I'd expect from the guy who drafted Hack, tbqh.

But no woe, just an observation.  Safeties will never be as vital as a QB, and while our two look solid, they're effectively irrelevant.  Because they are safeties.

We'll roll with whomever we get next draft, got an odd feeling it'll either be Mayfield, or no one (i.e. another Veteran).

I like that you took the generalized term personal.

46 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

If we had Watson he would be having a so called red shirt year relegated to 4th string QB forgotten status while we give Fellatio to the 38 year old Josh McCown for beating Blake Bortles, Jay Cutler, and Deshon Kizer.

You mean "Give McCown a 3 year $42 million $22 million/2 year guaranteed contract. "

1 minute ago, Pac said:

Meanwhile I got the last laugh as I picked Watson up in my big money fantasy league and started him today..  I picked up Fuller too and am upset I didn't start him.

Screen captures to prove it, or gtfo. Make sure your banking info is open before capturing images. 

Archived