Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JetNation

Bowles: Powell to Undergo Tests on Calf

Recommended Posts

IMG_3615.jpg

One of the biggest story lines unrelated to the Jets’ performance on the field yesterday was the news that running back Bilal Powell, who missed the entire second half, will undergo tests on an injured calf that he suffered against the Browns according to head coach Todd Bowles.

With Matt Forte sidelined with turf toe, Powell and rookie running back Elijah McGuire became the top two backs on the depth chart but the Jets weren’t able to get much going on the ground (13 carries for 25 yards) as the Browns consistently loaded the box.

If Powell’s injury is going to cost him time and Forte’s turf toe isn’t healed, the Jets will be looking to add a running back as the only other back on the roster, Travaris Cadet, has just 26 carries in five NFL seasons.  Running back/kick returner Marcus Murphy who is currently on the practice squad could be the next man up.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
mu8pKdh1HQk

Click here to read the full story...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.

losing powell is huge.  he's just a good back with good speed and balance.  he also showed some good pass catching yesterday. forte? maybe if they aren't planning to run the ball much.  the oline has got to do much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now you know why Powell has never been looked at as a #1 RB. You have to stay on the field. This is his whole career & look at how big time backs are helping their respective teams, Kareem Hunt, Elliott, Bell, Gurley, Kamara now in New Orleans.

This idea you don't draft a RB high is stupid. Jets should go balls to the wall for Cousins, draft Barkley if he drops to them & finally start building an offense around here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"tests" is usually code for very bad in the NFL. Maybe 1 in 10 tests come out good. 7 show exactly what they know already, and 2 find more "extensive" injury... sucks I like Bilal...not sure I resign him though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely unfortunate to hear, but not surprising.  While I completely understand all of the unhappiness with Forte getting the starts at the beginning of the season, it also seems that Powell might not be so well suited to be a lead back, perhaps better for a committee type of situation.  He definitely has plenty of talent, but in recent years as he's gotten more carries, it's definitely brought some injury issues along with it.  There was even reason to believe he was a bit banged up in the first few games.

McGuire is likely to find himself with a heavy workload for the next few weeks, but I imagine once Forte and Powell are back (assuming Powell's injury isn't too significant), the Jets will probably be best served with a constant rotation, barring McGuire breaking out and convincing us all he should be the primary guy going forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I know it was with our last O, and he is not great, but Ridley was just cut by the Vikings, so Jets can get him if Powell and Forte can't go. Probably a better option then picking up the Murphy kid again who is probably too raw at this point to use since we now are getting to a point where we have something on the line other than just player development.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/09/vikings-activate-michael-floyd-cut-stevan-ridley/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Well, I know it was with our last O, and he is not great, but Ridley was just cut by the Vikings, so Jets can get him if Powell and Forte can't go. Probably a better option then picking up the Murphy kid again who is probably too raw at this point to use since we now are getting to a point where we have something on the line other than just player development.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/09/vikings-activate-michael-floyd-cut-stevan-ridley/

Perfect week to bring him back against his former team NE.  

Image result for stevan ridley ny jets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

"tests" is usually code for very bad in the NFL. Maybe 1 in 10 tests come out good. 7 show exactly what they know already, and 2 find more "extensive" injury... sucks I like Bilal...not sure I resign him though

He is under contract thru 2018.  Next year he gets $4 Mill (no guaranteed money). If the Jets cut him after the season, it would be about a $900,000 dead money hit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

He is under contract thru 2018.  Next year he gets $4 Mill (no guaranteed money). If the Jets cut him after the season, it would be about a $900,000 dead money hit. 

Draft Barkley, McGuire as #2, late round flyer, cut Powell & have another 3.1 million for another position of need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Draft Barkley, McGuire as #2, late round flyer, cut Powell & have another 3.1 million for another position of need.

While Barkley has all the intangibles that you would like from a physical perspective, his hesitancy to hit the hole, and want to bounce outside when the blocks are set up inside are concerning. It is a little Blair Thomasesque. Something to watch for.

That said, the PSU Right Tackle play has been bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jetster said:

Now you know why Powell has never been looked at as a #1 RB. You have to stay on the field. This is his whole career & look at how big time backs are helping their respective teams, Kareem Hunt, Elliott, Bell, Gurley, Kamara now in New Orleans.

This idea you don't draft a RB high is stupid. Jets should go balls to the wall for Cousins, draft Barkley if he drops to them & finally start building an offense around here.

And why the continuing attacks on HOF Curtis Martin by some out here are and were insane; staying on the field matters......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

While Barkley has all the intangibles that you would like from a physical perspective, his hesitancy to hit the hole, and want to bounce outside when the blocks are set up inside are concerning. It is a little Blair Thomasesque. Something to watch for.

That said, the PSU Right Tackle play has been bad.

Holy crap! And I was trying to not drink until Friday night. Please stop.:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This would be a major loss even though McGuire is looking pretty good. And potentially Forte is returning on Sunday. Bilal is one of our best if not our best skill position player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hope Bilal is ok, we need our running game to chew up clock and slow down the Pats. Brady versus McCown shootout is unthinkable. 

Would be fun to watch a shootout between them. Their defense has been as bad as out offense.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Now you know why Powell has never been looked at as a #1 RB. You have to stay on the field. This is his whole career & look at how big time backs are helping their respective teams, Kareem Hunt, Elliott, Bell, Gurley, Kamara now in New Orleans.
This idea you don't draft a RB high is stupid. Jets should go balls to the wall for Cousins, draft Barkley if he drops to them & finally start building an offense around here.

You realize 3 of the 5 guys you listed were not drafted high? I would love for us to draft a good rb though I think the logic behind it is that most rbs don't last long in the league and it is better to draft a player that can be a good talent for 10 to 20 years then go take an rb who can be pretty good for 5 or 6.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:


You realize 3 of the 5 guys you listed were not drafted high? I would love for us to draft a good rb though I think the logic behind it is that most rbs don't last long in the league and it is better to draft a player that can be a good talent for 10 to 20 years then go take an rb who can be pretty good for 5 or 6.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app
 

Yea, like Coples, Milliner, Pryor, Geno, etc., if your staring at a stud like Barkley just take him & enjoy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yea, like Coples, Milliner, Pryor, Geno, etc., if your staring at a stud like Barkley just take him & enjoy. 

Geno was a second round pick I think people forget. I hated geno in the draft but I understood swinging on him with a second rounder. I don't disagree you take a stud if he is there stareing at you though

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Where is Zac Stacey when you need him,another one of Macc's great scrap heap pickups.  

RB depth has always concerned me here. 

Yeah it's weird that we don't have viable 4th and 5th running back options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Yeah it's weird that we don't have viable 4th and 5th running back options.

Considering the recent injury history of Powell and Forte a wise GM would have viable depth instead of carrying 7 CB's and 10 DL men or is that on Todd Bowles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Considering the recent injury history of Powell and Forte a wise GM would have viable depth instead of carrying 7 CB's and 10 DL men or is that on Todd Bowles. 

Viable depth is having 3 interchangeable running backs. Having 4th or 5th running backs that you actually expect to play is just an unreasonable expectation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Viable depth is having 3 interchangeable running backs. Having 4th or 5th running backs that you actually expect to play is just an unreasonable expectation. 

 

Good thing we have McGuire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×